Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Trump won't be impeached. Anyone who honestly believes this is crazy. The only way he'll get impeached at this point is if him being president is
A. Actively hurting the republican party and they need to throw him overboard to save themselves. It's likely never going to get that bad.
B. Actively hurting the economy and big business. He'll just have to go at that point. The republican paymasters won't allow it. It's what happened to Nixon.

That being said, Trump is speed running the Nixon presidency in terms of playing it fast and loose with the law. Democrats would be dumb to bring up Impeachment though. It's a political process, not a judicial one. Winning 2020 should be their objective, not throwing him out.

It's too dangerous to the country not to throw him out. Forget the election. If it can be done it has to be done, even though it means Pence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

I think it's more likely Rs are watching their poll numbers and would go for impeachment before being voted out (if it goes that way) rather than wait until they actually lose their majority, they'd be just as happy with Pence as with Trump.

They'd likely be happier with Pence than Trump. That said, they're also going to factor in how bad it'd look for them if Trump was successfully impeached--they'd be publicly admitting they backed the wrong guy, that they were taken in by a con man, that they were simpering toadies to a criminal. It's even possible a lot of their own party would be implicated in whatever comes out during an impeachment trial.

There's a bit of calculus they need to do. What's worse: being chained to Trump, or a public revelation of their backing a criminal? I don't think the answer's straightforward by any means.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Just locker room talk. Boys will be boys and all

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Harrow posted:

There's a bit of calculus they need to do. What's worse: being chained to Trump, or a public revelation of their backing a criminal? I don't think the answer's straightforward by any means.

They are only "chained" to Trump because Republican voters love Trump. Until that changes they won't abandon him, and I don't think it will/can happen to the degree necessary to ditch him. You think Rubio, Cruz, and Ryan support Trump because they want to? LOL

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Trump won't be impeached. Anyone who honestly believes this is crazy. The only way he'll get impeached at this point is if him being president is
A. Actively hurting the republican party and they need to throw him overboard to save themselves. It's likely never going to get that bad.
B. Actively hurting the economy and big business. He'll just have to go at that point. The republican paymasters won't allow it. It's what happened to Nixon.

That being said, Trump is speed running the Nixon presidency in terms of playing it fast and loose with the law. Democrats would be dumb to bring up Impeachment though. It's a political process, not a judicial one. Winning 2020 should be their objective, not throwing him out.

Impeachment only requires a simple majority in the House. Which makes impeachment likely if the Dems take the House in 2018. Conviction in the Senate requires 2/3 majority which obviously isn't going to happen.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Sloober posted:

if i could i'd get a X Files "I WANT TO BELIEVE" with a VHS tape labeled "PEE TAPE" instead of a UFO.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Unzip and Attack posted:

They are only "chained" to Trump because Republican voters love Trump. Until that changes they won't abandon him, and I don't think it will/can happen to the degree necessary to ditch him.

Yeah, ultimately I agree. Trump would have to be not just a liability, but an absolutely massive liability in order for impeaching him to be better for the GOP than continuing to back him. That's not likely, and it's why I think impeachment is only even remotely possible if Democrats take the House (and, even then, would almost certainly not succeed in removing him from office).

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

PhazonLink posted:

BTW question about the NJ primary, was there any interesting movement among the Dem to move left? Like yeah both sides got their expected winner, but did the losers for the Dem primary win by smaller margins than expected?

NJ has a shitload of progressive Democrats, and they came out in force for Johnson and Wisniewski, two candidates more progressive than Murphy. Each got about 22% of the vote, while Murphy got about 48%. So it's not like it almost cost him the primary or anything, but when 44% of the voters said they wanted someone more progressive and you ended up with 48% of the vote, it should send a message. Who knows if Murphy actually listens. His platform's actually more left than he gets credit for, but I don't think anyone's holding their breath.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

theflyingorc posted:

I grew up in Evangelical circles and...publicized proof of being with prostitutes would be a problem for them.

Honest question (and I know being rational isn't a normal thing for these folks) but how do they have a problem with this but no problem with having had a string of wives, including the fact that the current one is clearly not really into filling the tradition role of being a wife (like for example being in the same room with him for any significant amount of time)?

Also wouldn't the Billy Bush tape clearly demonstrate that he was down to gently caress (or whatever the hell that toad does) anything that would give him a chance?

When I think of evangelicals and their views on how marriage/relationships should work, I think about Pence.

Again: I'm seriously asking, not being a smart rear end.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

botany posted:

wow thank you for your service, needlessly pedantic man

It is not needlessly pedantic, because a lot of people really do mean a majority of the house, and then when people flip the gently caress out and demand how we expect 20 GOP Senators to flip, we're like "wait, what?"

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
Just a side note and reminder that Russia's framed several people with "sex tapes" before using lookalikes.

I have almost no doubt there's a piss tape on Obama's former hotel bed, but I wonder if anyone would be convinced the russkies actually found a Trump clone to play the part.

All that aside, tomorrow's gonna be great... for Trump's twitter! covfefe was just the tip of the iceberg on stroke induced tweets.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

PhazonLink posted:

Did they edit the pic to make what's-his-name look worse/like Donnie?

Time has never been kind to Steve buschemi. Doesn't make him any less cool for returning to his old fire station and helping after 9/11 though.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/metasynthie/status/872539725097299968

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

hahah Christie is still on MSNBC just being completely belligerent

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

The way polarization works these days I think it's impossible for a republican president to be so underwater impeaching him becomes the winning move for enough republicans. Maybe thirty years ago.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Maybe old news but Secret Hitler released a new add-on pack that replaces facist cards with the trump admin.

http://trumppack.deals/

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Impeachment only becomes a possibility when Trump's approval is in the 20s. If he's in the 20s, then he becomes a huge liability for the House in 2018 and the Dems may even gain seats in the Senate.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
The pee tape comes out, Christie goes on television talking about "normal New York City sex acts"

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

theflyingorc posted:

The vast majority of Republicans found insane reasons to twist themselves to not believe that he actually committed sexual assault.

Well, to be fair Democrats have been doing that for 20 years.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So does Trump have something on Christie, or does Christie just hero-worship him as the big tough strongman mob boss he wishes he was?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Toaster Beef posted:

NJ has a shitload of progressive Democrats, and they came out in force for Johnson and Wisniewski, two candidates more progressive than Murphy. Each got about 22% of the vote, while Murphy got about 48%. So it's not like it almost cost him the primary or anything, but when 44% of the voters said they wanted someone more progressive and you ended up with 48% of the vote, it should send a message. Who knows if Murphy actually listens. His platform's actually more left than he gets credit for, but I don't think anyone's holding their breath.

His platform is actively good on many issues. It's who he is that worries people on the left.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Trump is a bitch, Christie doubly so

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

FuriousxGeorge posted:

It's too dangerous to the country not to throw him out. Forget the election. If it can be done it has to be done, even though it means Pence.

I agree, even though Pence would probably be worse domestically because he'd be more effective. Things are getting way too squirrelly internationally to allow Trump to stay at the helm, though. It'd be great if we could clean the slate all the way down to Hatch and just let him keep the seat warm with no mandate to actually do anything, but I'll take what we can get if it means we don't have Pissbaby allowing WWIII to start.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Harrow posted:

So does Trump have something on Christie, or does Christie just hero-worship him as the big tough strongman mob boss he wishes he was?
He's waiting for them to give up and give him Reince's job

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

I actually disagree. There's something more powerful than hyperpartisan politics, and that is a sense of covering your own rear end. Of fleeing the sinking ship. A sense of self-preservation.

Antti posted:

The way polarization works these days I think it's impossible for a republican president to be so underwater impeaching him becomes the winning move for enough republicans. Maybe thirty years ago.

Again, I disagree. The key component here is that if Trump sheds too many republican voters they may get rid of him in order to preserve their party.

Harrow posted:

If the Democrats take the House in 2018, it's definitely possible Trump will be impeached. That doesn't mean he'll be removed from office. But he could well face an impeachment trial.

I'm absolutely not going to bet that he'll be removed from office, though. I think he'd have to be way, way, way worse for Republican polls than he is now for that to happen.

I actually see those polls as getting worse over time. He's currently under 50% with the military and the exurb voters. That only leaves evangelicals and rural voters. The military approval rating is going to go into freefall as he continues to screw up.

He's going to be at or below Nixon approval ratings before 2018. Around 24-25% approval rating with 60-65% disapproval rating. He seems to be careening from one screw up to another and while he isn't pissing off everyone all of the time he does make certain groups incensed. They'll remember that going forward and I don't really see him being able to pass any meaningful policy that will reflect well on him. He's not really capable of crafting meaningful or good policy that will appease anyone. At some point he'll be so toxic that congress won't even entertain his ideas because he'll be toxic even with their own base.

At some point the republicans will try to get rid of him to preserve their own party, but before that they'll try to isolate him. To an extent they're already doing it. The Saudi trip actually wasn't a $110 billion arms deal. The FAA executive order has no teeth. I think that they're going to attempt to create a sort of presidential mock show that makes him think he's having an effect and that he's powerful but in actuality they're just using him to pass their own agendas and making him think he's important.

Even then I think he's still going to careen from crisis to crisis because he's still necessary and powerful. My guess is that the idea of impeachment within the GOP will begin to be openly entertained at around 30% and people will begin to move on it at 25% and less. I see him getting here because he is unable to make people pleased with his actions. I see him as being unable to gain any more of a floor than he already has. His floor, once lowered, only comes back a bit. He's gotten all that he can and can only shed them at this point.

So the benchmarks are:

35% approval rating. Grumblings and open criticism from the republicans.

30% approval rating. Talk of impeachment.

25% approval rating. Nixonian levels of approval ratings. The gears of government truly begin to grind in order to push him out of office.

Below that it only makes it more and more likely.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Lote posted:

Impeachment only becomes a possibility when Trump's approval is in the 20s. If he's in the 20s, then he becomes a huge liability for the House in 2018 and the Dems may even gain seats in the Senate.

Trump's overall approval is irrelevant. The only number that matters is his approval among Republicans. As long as that remains high, nothing is going to happen. Republicans still fear being primaried more than any Democratic opposition.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Where else is Christie gonna go after he's kicked out of the NJ governor's mansion?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

so my take on this thing is that Comey really doesn't have anything concrete or enough to cause waves, is that correct

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Harrow posted:

I think it started as part of his ever continuing attempt to gain more power and spotlight time (see: that one fuckin' video of him forcing himself into a hug with two guys in a skybox), but it kinda eroded into him just being in too deep so this is all he has left.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

HappyHippo posted:

Just locker room talk. Boys will be boys and all

More like just normal NYC politics. Like Sheldon Silver and Dean Skelos.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

:wow:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

saintonan posted:

Trump's overall approval is irrelevant. The only number that matters is his approval among Republicans. As long as that remains high, nothing is going to happen. Republicans still fear being primaried more than any Democratic opposition.

Some do. Others are so worried about getting tossed out on a wave that here in Texas they were making calls to redistrict to hedge up their gerrymander against losses.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

There's no self preservation of there's no comeuppance. If they impeach it won't be before Actual Things Happen re: the midterms. Period full stop. Ship it.

There's still a real good chance that normal voting patterns hold in 2018 and Trump goes the full 8 years as a crippled but still Republican policy pushing machine.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

eviltastic posted:

Submitting prepared remarks before testifying to Congress is normal. I don't think Comey is the one to make that call.
https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/872538750114553861

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Harrow posted:

christie is less popular than herpes among (a) people from new jersey (b) republicans who aren't trump fans bitter that he helped trump win the primary (c) people in general

his only hope of a job once hes turfed out of the governor's office that he currently holds only because democrats think it's better to have him in office reminding new jerseyites why you don't vote for republicans than to impeach him is for trump to allow him to come crawling back, so he's going to continue to debase himself in the hopes of returning to favor

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

saintonan posted:

Yeah but if Arizona, Texas, and Mississippi look like it will be a toss-up Senate race in a non presidential year, that's when Trump's support among Conrgess collapses.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

DLC Inc posted:

so my take on this thing is that Comey really doesn't have anything concrete or enough to cause waves, is that correct

it confirms impeachable obstruction of justice and impeachable attempts to control the fbi, but republicans still will likely look the other way

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Here's your template for every right-wing take from now until 2019

https://twitter.com/seanmdav/status/872558012753485824

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

also, it's not a vhs tape, it's a flash drive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

mcmagic posted:

We never had it tested out in a Presidential campaign before...

Yup, never been any presidents that might of raped anyone before

• Locked thread