Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Guy Goodbody posted:

So once again I'm right. If Nintendo wants to make a cheaper handheld, they can just sell the Switch without the dock. bing bing bong so simple

This will probably happen eventually. Just different units with the dock either included or the dock sold separately with a $50 gap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I really don't know what to tell you, dude. There's other people besides me who have posted about the teardowns that remark on how this thing is manufactured. I'm not sure the body of evidence is on your side here.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
post one piece of evidence

a nintendo fansite throwing out random numbers is not evidence

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

LionArcher posted:

Is a 64 gig card big enough if I plan on buying most of my games physically?

Probably. Biggest game right now is Zelda which I think is ~14GB, most of the other downloadable games seem to be between 1 and 6 GB.

So far I only have two physical game carts, but I dropped my Zelda cart while on an airplane and spent a good 5 minutes on my hands and knees looking for it under the seats, so bear in mind that you can avoid that situation by going digital.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Video games are a fun hobby.
It's nice that people don't get really mad about games and the systems we play them on.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Inzombiac posted:

It's nice that people don't get really mad about games and the systems we play them on.

reported

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Inzombiac posted:

In 3rd grade my then-best friend didn't talk to me for a week because my parents got me a Super NES for Christmas and he was a Sega guy.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

HyperPuma posted:

post one piece of evidence

a nintendo fansite throwing out random numbers is not evidence

You are actually the one who has posted no evidence a dock costs $5 to make. If that were true they would not be sold for the prices they are. I'm not talking about just Nintendo Switch docks. All kinds of docks like this for laptops, tablets, etc, are pretty expensive. If it were cheap you'd get them for $10 on monoprice.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Guy Goodbody posted:

So once again I'm right. If Nintendo wants to make a cheaper handheld, they can just sell the Switch without the dock. bing bing bong so simple

Man, I'm liking this more and more whenever its brought up. It'd be a controller when doing multiplayer, it could allow for asynchronous gameplay again (which, admittedly, is already possible) and reducing the amount of sliding and connecting could let a neater design happen. But ultimately, it'd be the same console doing the same software.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Argyle posted:

In 3rd grade my then-best friend didn't talk to me for a week because my parents got me a Super NES for Christmas and he was a Sega guy.

https://twitter.com/9_volt88/status/872224151993536512

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

You are actually the one who has posted no evidence a dock costs $5 to make. If that were true they would not be sold for the prices they are. I'm not talking about just Nintendo Switch docks. All kinds of docks like this for laptops, tablets, etc, are pretty expensive. If it were cheap you'd get them for $10 on monoprice.

so your evidence for how much it costs to make is the retail price

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

No, a link to a part by part breakdown was posted earlier. I'm not talking about the price of the dock, I'm talking about the prices of comparable products and all of their competitors. By your logic it's some huge price fixing collusion by all the electronics companies on docks.

Lobstertainment
Jun 10, 2004

HyperPuma posted:

so your evidence for how much it costs to make is the retail price

To be fair, your counter evidence is "nah".

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

No, a link to a part by part breakdown was posted earlier. I'm not talking about the price of the dock, I'm talking about the prices of comparable products and all of their competitors. By your logic it's some huge price fixing collusion by all the electronics companies on docks.

https://www.ebay.com/p/?iid=131974318455&&&dispItem=1&chn=ps

12 bucks

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

katkillad2 posted:

This was a reasonable thought pre Switch release and a motivating factor of some people to buy the Switch in the first place, but I no longer think it's true.

The 3DS isn't getting dropped immediately for the same reason Sony didn't immediately kill PS2 and more recently PS3 support. I'll happen eventually, like with the PS3 now seeing it's production end, but Nintendo and developers aren't going to rush to kill a user base like the 3DS until the switch user base is bigger.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

People laughed when the PS3 came out, initially flopped, and Sony said the system was designed to last a decade but by God they were right and that drat thing managed to outlast the Wii U. The 3DS has probably got a couple more years in the tank easy.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Maybe my memory is hazy, but did Sony fans cry this much during the early days of PS3 when they were being thrashed?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yes but at least they had the power argument for the more expensive console behind them.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

TFRazorsaw posted:

I really don't know what to tell you, dude. There's other people besides me who have posted about the teardowns that remark on how this thing is manufactured. I'm not sure the body of evidence is on your side here.

Idk what to tell you dude but you pick really lame arguments to be wrong about. Be cool

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
I worry for the life of this thread friends, it seems a bit tilted today!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

TFRazorsaw posted:

Also, to elaborate on what I said two posts before; for all intents and purposes, Nintendo fully believed the whole "third pillar" thing when they said it

No they didn't. Do you not understand how marketing and pr works?

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Morby posted:

Maybe my memory is hazy, but did Sony fans cry this much during the early days of PS3 when they were being thrashed?

Probably. Hah. But one thing to remember is that PS3 owners at the time didn't care because they also had a blu-ray player included in their console when blu-ray players cost $800-1,000 at the time.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

It also fully supported PS1 and PS2 games out of the box. I can vividly remember bringing my PS3 home, realizing that my ethernet cable was too short and not having WiFi meant that the first game I played on my fancy $600 ($700 because Canada) was the PS2 port of Deus Ex. I think it was like 2 months before I was able to connect my PS3 to the PSN and went out to get an actual PS3 game.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Morby posted:

Maybe my memory is hazy, but did Sony fans cry this much ?

That's just a screenshot of one person who wrote two tweets... so probably?

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I worry for the life of this thread friends, it seems a bit tilted today!

Yeah let's talk about Arms some more instead

Morby posted:

I think the "oppressed" bit is farther than the usual PS3 poster was like, but otherwise yeah there were people like that too. I do know there were some people (me included) who still liked sony but were completely baffled by the high price and lack of games until 2008 or so. There were rough patches afterwards but it helped a lot that Sony genuinely was doing a bunch of things that made the PS3 better.

Really though, you can find crazy supporters like that for any console ever if you go looking at random twitter or neogaf.

Captain No-mates
Apr 3, 2010

I love my Nintendo Switch and I play it almost every day. Handheld mode is my favourite but I enjoy to play it in the docked mode as well!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Morby posted:

You have no idea

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

It was pretty awesome watching the console war live in the trenches back then.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nice adaptor. No charger included, eh? Also, Nintendo might have higher quality standards than some rando on eBay. Maybe.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
neither side has furnished any good evidence for their claims tbh

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Nice adaptor. No charger included, eh? Also, Nintendo might have higher quality standards than some rando on eBay. Maybe.

lmao

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Can we not have this discussion again? They sell the dock for $60 on its own, that presumably includes some mark-up.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
But isn't the 'Boner who realizes he's getting dunked on by Microsoft and is super pissed about it way more plugged into reality than the one queuing for days for a Master Chief Collection game (install size something like 300 gigs now) with a permanent :smugdog: face?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Captain No-mates posted:

I love my Nintendo Switch and I play it almost every day. Handheld mode is my favourite but I enjoy to play it in the docked mode as well!

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Ventana posted:

Yeah let's talk about Arms some more instead

I think the "oppressed" bit is farther than the usual PS3 poster was like, but otherwise yeah there were people like that too. I do know there were some people (me included) who still liked sony but were completely baffled by the high price and lack of games until 2008 or so. There were rough patches afterwards but it helped a lot that Sony genuinely was doing a bunch of things that made the PS3 better.

Really though, you can find crazy supporters like that for any console ever if you go looking at random twitter or neogaf.

I was sorta out of the loop when PS3 and 360 launched. By the time I picked them up (2009 for 360 and 2010 for PS3) a lot of the PS3's issues had been resolved. That's probably why I missed the good Sony meltdowns.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Hey 12yo me,

At some point in the future you will be riding along in a train while playing Mario Kart with other people all over the continent with a portable device who's screen is nicer than the TV you're staring at. It will be amazing.

-LethalGeek

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Morby posted:

I was sorta out of the loop when PS3 and 360 launched. By the time I picked them up (2009 for 360 and 2010 for PS3) a lot of the PS3's issues had been resolved. That's probably why I missed the good Sony meltdowns.

The ps3 memes were strong for like 3 years until the race stabilized

BROWN was a fav of mine along side waggle for babby in the wii threads

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

LethalGeek posted:

Hey 12yo me,

At some point in the future you will be riding along in a train while playing Mario Kart with other people all over the continent with a portable device who's screen is nicer than the TV you're staring at. It will be amazing.

-LethalGeek

That future was 2005

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Captain No-mates posted:

I like tabletop mode but all modes are good friend :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

That future was 2005

That screen was crap :colbert:

• Locked thread