Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Bogan King posted:

No such thing as a good pun :colbert:

What about Big Pun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

purple death ray posted:

What about Big Pun
don't Puncture his bubble, that would be rude.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

purple death ray posted:

What about Big Pun

Get over it, he's dead.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Bogan King posted:

No such thing as a good pun :colbert:

True, they tend to be a rare medium well-done.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Video shows Houston passenger pushed by United employee

In the video, recorded on a surveillance camera at the airport, Ronald Tigner -- a frequent flyer, father and grandfather -- is shown being pushed to the ground by a United Airlines customer service rep, right in front of the United ticket counter.

After hitting his head on the ground, Tigner lies motionless with his arms splayed out and yet not one United employee bothers to bend down and talk to him.

"He violently shoves a 71-year-old man to the ground," Hoke said.

"Was your client knocked unconscious? Was he out?" KPRC 2's Bill Spencer asked.

"He was. He lied there," Hoke said. "He lies there lifeless for minutes. Not one employee comes to check on him."

http://www.click2houston.com/news/investigates/video-shows-confrontation-between-united-employees-houston-man-at-airport

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I wonder if the story would have less impact if the guy wasn't a father and grandfather. Like if this guy was single and a life long businessman, would anyone care?

yes i know that the author of the article is playing up the drama of it all

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Lime Tonics posted:

Video shows Houston passenger pushed by United employee

In the video, recorded on a surveillance camera at the airport, Ronald Tigner -- a frequent flyer, father and grandfather -- is shown being pushed to the ground by a United Airlines customer service rep, right in front of the United ticket counter.

After hitting his head on the ground, Tigner lies motionless with his arms splayed out and yet not one United employee bothers to bend down and talk to him.

"He violently shoves a 71-year-old man to the ground," Hoke said.

"Was your client knocked unconscious? Was he out?" KPRC 2's Bill Spencer asked.

"He was. He lied there," Hoke said. "He lies there lifeless for minutes. Not one employee comes to check on him."

http://www.click2houston.com/news/investigates/video-shows-confrontation-between-united-employees-houston-man-at-airport

You know, I was going to say that all the poo poo people are reporting on airlines doing is a bandwagon trend to cash in on views while everyone hates airlines, but this is legitimately a serious incident. Something that would be a really big deal even if the David Dao incident never happened.

Then I saw that this happened in 2015 and it's just being dug up and making the news now because it's easy to dig up dirt on United and get lots of views.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Ultima66 posted:

You know, I was going to say that all the poo poo people are reporting on airlines doing is a bandwagon trend to cash in on views while everyone hates airlines, but this is legitimately a serious incident. Something that would be a really big deal even if the David Dao incident never happened.

Then I saw that this happened in 2015 and it's just being dug up and making the news now because it's easy to dig up dirt on United and get lots of views.

I think the lawsuit is just finally making its way through the legal system.

In other words United could have cleared this up years ago with very little publicity, but instead it's just exponentially worse now.

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Aren't you supposed to keep an elderly person who fell and is in pain still and let the paramedics decide if they can get up or take them to the hospital?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That would just be a side benefit of completely ignoring him after pushing him to the ground

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Yea, uh, keeping someone still and completely ignoring their unconscious body are entirely different things.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Probably should make a PYF united screwups thread, seems there is one every week,

https://www.inc.com/chris-matyszczyk/united-flight-nearly-takes-off-with-fuel-leak-until-passengers-convince-crew-the.html

Rachel Brumfield and her husband, Mike, were looking forward to their Venice honeymoon. The one in Italy with gorgeous buildings, not the one in California with gorgeous musclemen.

As the New York Post reports, Mike ran down the aisle of the plane to alert the cabin crew.

And he was, he says, "yelled" at to sit right back down.

"He's like, 'But something's not right.' They said, 'Is it an emergency?' He said, 'I don't know,' so they said, 'Go sit down.' They said, 'Everything's normal," Rachel told the Post.

How was he supposed to know whether it was serious? Looking at the video, it seems remarkably serious.

One question that might flit across a few minds is: "How did no member of the cabin crew or pilot -- or even ground crew -- see what was happening?"

Shortly afterward, however, the crew finally looked out the window.

Miraculously, the engines went off and fire crews arrived.

Only then, say the Brumfields, did the cabin crew decide that they'd done the right thing.

Champagne was produced. An introduction to the pilot, too.

So they were treated to a honeymoon suite at a salubrious New Jersey establishment, plied with caviar, and given two first-class flights to anywhere in the world?

Not quite.

They say they were given a meal voucher and forced to sleep on the airport floor, until they caught a Delta flight the next day.

Videos in the article, planes leaking like a stuck pig.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I would give the honeymooners swanky accommodations, not because it’s the right thing to do, but because it’s a sound business decision.

Bribing the couple serves two purposes: it heads off a potential negative talking point and it discourages them from telling the media about poorly your cabin crew initially handled the problem because they may feel that you made up to them.

A dramatic leak like that is definitely going to make the news when it’s June of 2017 and your name is “United”. A couple of taxi rides and a hotel room is a fantastic deal to influence that coverage.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Lime Tonics posted:

"He's like, 'But something's not right.' They said, 'Is it an emergency?' He said, 'I don't know,'
Frankly, if it's important enough for you to jump up and run for the crew, and they ask if it's an emergency, you say "yes." If at that point you come across as uncertain in any way it's no surprise they give you the "calm down, everything's alright" line because what's more likely, a huge fuel leak or a passenger with a panic attack? Calm down the passenger, then check what's actually happening. I dunno that I'd say the cabin crew handled this badly cause no matter how you handle an incident like this it's gonna look unprofessional in hindsight. Especially if you're the New York Post and play up the scared passenger point of view to drive up pageviews.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Lime Tonics posted:

Probably should make a PYF united screwups thread, seems there is one every week,

https://www.inc.com/chris-matyszczyk/united-flight-nearly-takes-off-with-fuel-leak-until-passengers-convince-crew-the.html

Rachel Brumfield and her husband, Mike, were looking forward to their Venice honeymoon. The one in Italy with gorgeous buildings, not the one in California with gorgeous musclemen.

As the New York Post reports, Mike ran down the aisle of the plane to alert the cabin crew.

And he was, he says, "yelled" at to sit right back down.

"He's like, 'But something's not right.' They said, 'Is it an emergency?' He said, 'I don't know,' so they said, 'Go sit down.' They said, 'Everything's normal," Rachel told the Post.

How was he supposed to know whether it was serious? Looking at the video, it seems remarkably serious.

One question that might flit across a few minds is: "How did no member of the cabin crew or pilot -- or even ground crew -- see what was happening?"

Shortly afterward, however, the crew finally looked out the window.

Miraculously, the engines went off and fire crews arrived.

Only then, say the Brumfields, did the cabin crew decide that they'd done the right thing.

Champagne was produced. An introduction to the pilot, too.

So they were treated to a honeymoon suite at a salubrious New Jersey establishment, plied with caviar, and given two first-class flights to anywhere in the world?

Not quite.

They say they were given a meal voucher and forced to sleep on the airport floor, until they caught a Delta flight the next day.

Videos in the article, planes leaking like a stuck pig.

Did the author just jot down sentences on bits of paper and pull them out of a hat at random?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Krispy Kareem posted:

Whatever happened to laundering your money via strip clubs like grampa used to do.

Donut shops are just so...boring.
Donut shops attract less attention from the vice squad.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

John Big Booty posted:

Donut shops attract less attention from the vice squad.

Are you sure about that?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Bogan King posted:

Are you sure about that?

:spergin: That's Highway Patrol, an entirely different enforcement agency. Obviously they are there to enforce the take-a-penny-leave-a-penny policy.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

purple death ray posted:

What about Big Pun

Big Pun beat his wife, so he was not good.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

spog posted:

Did the author just jot down sentences on bits of paper and pull them out of a hat at random?
The spirit of William Burroughs is alive in online "journalism".

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I forget what product is actually being sold (it's some kind of beverage, I think), but those "[name of product] isn't dull, so neither should its advertising" commercials. They say next to nothing about the product except for vague claims of not being "dull". The commercial is not much more than "Hey - look at how clever we are!".

A lot of modern advertising does this, and I'm sick of it. Tell me why I should buy your product or stop wasting my time.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

The spirit of William Burroughs is alive in online "journalism".

it's either that or attempting to be hunter s thompson without any of the charm or panache

not that article i mean, just those are the two styles allowed in online writing it seems

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I forget what product is actually being sold (it's some kind of beverage, I think), but those "[name of product] isn't dull, so neither should its advertising" commercials. They say next to nothing about the product except for vague claims of not being "dull". The commercial is not much more than "Hey - look at how clever we are!".

A lot of modern advertising does this, and I'm sick of it. Tell me why I should buy your product or stop wasting my time.
If you're trying to be the perfectly logical consumer you should be getting your why from consumer advocacy sources anyway. The only useful value add for ads for both consumers and producers is letting the consumers know something exists at which point ads just need to be entertaining, eye catching, or otherwise hooked into your subconscious for later recall that when you need a box of crackers, you remember brands X Y and Z exist.

e. Well I guess I should say the common value add between the consumer and producer. There's plenty of manipulative value adds a producer will target, including selective reporting of product performance, testing, etc. that you would think 'hey the ad is being useful' but is usually scummy because its exactly what they want you to know about something and nothing more.

zedprime has a new favorite as of 18:32 on Jun 18, 2017

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Sorry friend, the Ur-marketing "two columns of 10-point print describing every product feature" style is ludicrously ineffective compared to aspirational/lifestyle bullshit and that's why you only still see it from businesses too small to care about brand awareness.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

They are telling you why. Dull people buy dull things; not dull people buy not dull things. You don't want to be a dull person, do you? No! You want to be COOL and EXCITING and EXTREEEEEEEEEEEMEMMMEMEMEMEMEEMEMEEEEEE.

Our drink is for cool people who do cool things so if you buy it you must be a cool person who does cool things.

The most effective advertising is that which preys on peoples' insecurities. It isn't a good thing but it's a fact of life. That's why advertising tends to be the way it is and why there's the saying "if you talked to people the way advertisements talk to people they'd punch you in the face." The core message of most adverts is "if you don't buy this you suck."

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

What you're all saying makes a lot of sense, unfortunately. I guess I'm just sick of advertisers' lame attempts at humor. Puppymonkeykid or whatever it was called from Taco Bell is a great example of that. If they're not trying to memeify themselves, they're pandering, like McDonald's. I miss the jingle era.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Advertising doesn't affect me

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Advertising doesn't make me interested in a product I wouldn't already be interested in, but I definitely pay attention to a really good ad or trailer.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

What you're all saying makes a lot of sense, unfortunately. I guess I'm just sick of advertisers' lame attempts at humor. Puppymonkeykid or whatever it was called from Taco Bell is a great example of that. If they're not trying to memeify themselves, they're pandering, like McDonald's. I miss the jingle era.

Taco Bell had a talking chihuahua that was Mtn Dew.

I had to google it because I couldn't remember what puppymonkeybaby was from just that it was a thing.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Len posted:

Taco Bell had a talking chihuahua that was Mtn Dew.

I had to google it because I couldn't remember what puppymonkeybaby was from just that it was a thing.

That actually sounds more like something Mtn Dew would pull.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In line with "try to make people remember your product, not its specs" across most pieces of business I've worked on the by far dominant advertising strategy for boosting sales is garish, blunt "here is our product, click to buy it RIGHT NOW" units across all media. Everybody wants to think that beautiful handcrafted, soothing, non-disruptive will work best when, from both a click to buy and last thing seen before buying blunt almost, to steal completely from the Simpsons, super-liminal advertising is what most motivates consumers.

So if you're curious why a lot of digital and mailed ads are hideous, flagrantly product focused, and devoid of much other than "BUY NOW" you have your answer.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

In the village I used to live in years ago there was a "Chinese gift shop" that just had two waving cats and some random crap in the window which we all assumed was a front for something.

A brothel, as it turned out.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Barudak posted:

In line with "try to make people remember your product, not its specs" across most pieces of business I've worked on the by far dominant advertising strategy for boosting sales is garish, blunt "here is our product, click to buy it RIGHT NOW" units across all media. Everybody wants to think that beautiful handcrafted, soothing, non-disruptive will work best when, from both a click to buy and last thing seen before buying blunt almost, to steal completely from the Simpsons, super-liminal advertising is what most motivates consumers.

So if you're curious why a lot of digital and mailed ads are hideous, flagrantly product focused, and devoid of much other than "BUY NOW" you have your answer.
I'm guessing it's like spam mail/nigerian scams/etc: Most people won't even give it a look, so you have nothing to lose by screening for the lowest common denominator.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Dumb move in marketing: putting advertisements on your æroplane’s windows.

Not because the public doesn’t like them, but because the CEO doesn’t, either.

https://twitter.com/MirandaPauloS/status/877351617342959621

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
United is upping their game, trying to kill babies now I guess,

Colorado mom angry at United after infant overheats while airplane sits on tarmac at DIA

France told The Denver Post that her baby became overheated after they waited nearly two hours inside an airplane that was delayed on the tarmac at Denver International Airport, and that it took an estimated 30 minutes to leave the plane once she requested an ambulance.

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/06/23/united-airlines-infant-overheats-dia/

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Lime Tonics posted:

United is upping their game, trying to kill babies now I guess,

Colorado mom angry at United after infant overheats while airplane sits on tarmac at DIA

France told The Denver Post that her baby became overheated after they waited nearly two hours inside an airplane that was delayed on the tarmac at Denver International Airport, and that it took an estimated 30 minutes to leave the plane once she requested an ambulance.

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/06/23/united-airlines-infant-overheats-dia/

At least she wasn't threatened with arrest for raising the issue! Progress?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
There's a Ford commercial that uses Csrly Rae Jespin's song "always a good time" normal pop song use fare. However, you can clearly at the end hear the line"we don't even have to drive..." Which seems like a poorly thought out choice for a car ad...

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Nah, just mentally paving the way for the self driving cars :v:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
The line is "We don't even have to try". So I guess it wasn't that clear :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

In the village I used to live in years ago there was a "Chinese gift shop" that just had two waving cats and some random crap in the window which we all assumed was a front for something.

A brothel, as it turned out.

Well they did have the pussy in the window so that should have been the first clue.