Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Internet spoilers! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
So we've officially done a timeskip and are now >100 years into the forty-second millennium?

How much ground have they recaptured in the Indomitus Crusade?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Naw, we've been in 999M41 for years. They've just gone the extra step to avoid going into M42.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
So, wait, are they making it canon that the calendar has been stuck at 999.M41 for years, and just explaining it as not being able to agree on the actual date?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Well, the Cain books have been having M42 on the publication dates for years, but yeah, 5 different cabals of imperial datekeepers locked in a holy war is peak 40k.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

wiegieman posted:

Well, the Cain books have been having M42 on the publication dates for years, but yeah, 5 different cabals of imperial datekeepers locked in a holy war is peak 40k.

And none of them are right anyway. :v:

Guilliman being so enormously "I hate you all and I hate everything about the modern Imperium, poo poo letting Horus win and burn it all down would be preferable to this insanity" is one of my favorite bits of 8E.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Guilliman also wants to make an as accurate as it can be History of the Imperium, but is being opposed by the Inquisition in lots of those matters.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

So we've officially done a timeskip and are now >100 years into the forty-second millennium?

How much ground have they recaptured in the Indomitus Crusade?

Largely they have retaken a lot of worlds that were under attack and brought relief to Space Marine Chapters and Systems under attacks. The General Strategy was for Guilliman's massive fleet. (Which contained something like a Million Primaris Marines at the start.) Would go to areas having difficulty help beat the problems back. Then they would reinforce local chapters in the area with Primaris Marines from the Massive pseudo legion he created of them called the Unnumbered (Or the Greyshields) or he would create new chapters out of them to leave in systems and worlds that had lost chapters or did not have one to protect them but needed it. After reinforcing the Area the fleet came to the fleet would leave and go to the next one. At the end of the Crusade the Greyshields were roughly 20,000 from both losses but mainly from chunks of them being sent to join other chapters as the Crusade went on.

They are still under attack however. But the Fleet going around and reinforcing everything phase is over. The remaining Greyshields were broken up to be assigned to new chapters or to go and reinforce old ones. (The book featured a scene were a Space Wolf descended Primaris Marine get pretty heartbroken over hearing that he is not going to get assigned to the Space Wolves and get to go to Fenris.)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Here is the entire date section from the book.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I'd heard people weren't happy with the new 40k developments, but that loving owns

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Shameful lack of basic astronomy by everyone involved.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

goatface posted:

Shameful lack of basic astronomy by everyone involved.
They really should call it the Astronomican't.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Is "emperor save me from faith" guilliman making a joke or is the writing not that self aware?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Jack B Nimble posted:

Is "emperor save me from faith" guilliman making a joke or is the writing not that self aware?

It's not faith if you literally know that your immensely powerful psychic of a creator is bringing his champions back to life by imbuing them with wrathful energy and watching over you from behind the veil of reality.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It is when you're invoking it in a ritual utterance to get you through hardship.

He wasn't on the phone with the emperor.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

MonsterEnvy posted:

Here is the entire date section from the book.

I'm Guilliman's powerful mind.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Jack B Nimble posted:

Is "emperor save me from faith" guilliman making a joke

It's this one.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I'm Guilliman's powerful mind.

His turgid intellect

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
His tumescent will.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Throbbing brain.

Has Guilliman chatted with Bjorn yet? Dude's probably the only person who could have explained what went on during the ten thousand year dirt nap. He's spent less time in stasis than Guilliman.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yes they had tea and crumpets together

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
This extract taking from the main game thread. It's part of Guilliman's meeting with Cawl. (Or to be correct Cawl's totally not an AI that has the same knowledge and thoughts processes as Cawl.) About how Cawl wants to bring in loyalist Primaris marines from the traitor legions (And lost legions).

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 8, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And he wants Primaris marines from the two lost legions.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

MonsterEnvy posted:

This extract taking from the main game thread. It's part of Guilliman's meeting with Cawl. (Or to be correct Cawl's totally not an AI that has the same knowledge and thoughts processes as Cawl.) About how Cawl wants to bring in loyalist Primaris marines from the traitor legions.

There is some fluff that talks about a Russ gene primaris that gets assigned to a random chapter in need of reinforcements. He is crestfallen that he isn't going to join his brothers on Fenris, so I can only assume that making a bunch of World Eaters with "stable" genes is a cool and good idea that won't gently caress up at all.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I mean Cawls right, at that point the loyalist marines from the traitor legions would have not really have any trace of geneseed corruption that would cause issues. Considering that a bunch of the loyalist marines get shunted off into top secret missions/forming the foundation of Grey Knights or whatever they are a completely viable option. The only issue would be Alpha Legion Marines.

I think people are missing the fact that traitor marine legion corruption comes from when they purged their ranks and then kept loving with the warp, a loyalist that escaped the purge would be as viable and pure as a member from the loyalist legions.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

JBP posted:

There is some fluff that talks about a Russ gene primaris that gets assigned to a random chapter in need of reinforcements. He is crestfallen that he isn't going to join his brothers on Fenris, so I can only assume that making a bunch of World Eaters with "stable" genes is a cool and good idea that won't gently caress up at all.

This really boils down to a nature vs nurture argument, and one could say that in that case that particular marine was raised hearing about how great awwuuuuu the Space Wolves are, and that is what led to his desire to join them. So a loyalist World Eater could instead be raised hearing what a bunch of jerks his stock came from and turn out having an intense hatred of them*.

*...That could then of course lead to him wanting to put their head-bones on some sort of chair.

Edit: That snippet also indicates that Cawl has already made them, at least in an experimental capacity. So the AdMech has some loyalist traitor and lost-legion dudes kicking around somewhere.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Telsa Cola posted:

The only issue would be Alpha Legion Marines.

Can you explain this?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Nature vs Nature vs Lobotomy and rage drugs.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

This really boils down to a nature vs nurture argument, and one could say that in that case that particular marine was raised hearing about how great awwuuuuu the Space Wolves are, and that is what led to his desire to join them. So a loyalist World Eater could instead be raised hearing what a bunch of jerks his stock came from and turn out having an intense hatred of them*.

*...That could then of course lead to him wanting to put their head-bones on some sort of chair.

Edit: That snippet also indicates that Cawl has already made them, at least in an experimental capacity. So the AdMech has some loyalist traitor and lost-legion dudes kicking around somewhere.

Rockopolis posted:

Nature vs Nature vs Lobotomy and rage drugs.

The thing I am wondering is more that the Russ marine knew who his primarch was and wanted to join those brothers. Who is to say that a group of primaris Emperor's Children or Thousand Sons wouldn't meet their primarch, or be contacted by him and experience the same immediate love and affection they did 10,000 years ago. That poo poo is imprinted is it not?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

One of the new organs is a killswitch for just that eventuality. Like a surgically implanted Commissar.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

JBP posted:

The thing I am wondering is more that the Russ marine knew who his primarch was and wanted to join those brothers.

Given the Canis Helix, Russ marines should stick out like a sore thumb. Vulkan and Corax marines likewise, and to a lesser extent marines from legions without or with malfunctioning organs slotted into a chapter whose geneseed is fine, or vice versa.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Cythereal posted:

Given the Canis Helix, Russ marines should stick out like a sore thumb. Vulkan and Corax marines likewise, and to a lesser extent marines from legions without or with malfunctioning organs slotted into a chapter whose geneseed is fine, or vice versa.

Now all I can see is a bunch of beautiful blonde haired primaris ultras standing around with this one black eyed emo marine that is perpetually wanting to stealth and being called a coward.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

JBP posted:

The thing I am wondering is more that the Russ marine knew who his primarch was and wanted to join those brothers. Who is to say that a group of primaris Emperor's Children or Thousand Sons wouldn't meet their primarch, or be contacted by him and experience the same immediate love and affection they did 10,000 years ago. That poo poo is imprinted is it not?

Well he was a Neophyte from the just after Horus Heresy Age. So he was raised on a Space Wolves related area and given basic training by them.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

JBP posted:

Now all I can see is a bunch of beautiful blonde haired primaris ultras standing around with this one black eyed emo marine that is perpetually wanting to stealth and being called a coward.

Or the Space Wolf primaris in the Raven Guard. Or the Blood Angel in the Imperial Fists.

Cawl should just offer all the Word Bearer primares to the Black Templars. Not like anyone will be able to tell the difference.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Telsa Cola posted:

I mean Cawls right, at that point the loyalist marines from the traitor legions would have not really have any trace of geneseed corruption that would cause issues. Considering that a bunch of the loyalist marines get shunted off into top secret missions/forming the foundation of Grey Knights or whatever they are a completely viable option. The only issue would be Alpha Legion Marines.

I think people are missing the fact that traitor marine legion corruption comes from when they purged their ranks and then kept loving with the warp, a loyalist that escaped the purge would be as viable and pure as a member from the loyalist legions.

Yeah, the Blood Ravens turned out fine.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Cythereal posted:

Or the Space Wolf primaris in the Raven Guard.

An assault squad executes a perfect jump and lands in a position that will allow them tactical advantage in a coming ambush. 2 minutes later a hairy man with a jetpack strapped to his back (unused) kicks in the front door howling like a lunatic, starts fist fighting a bunch of cultists and yelling "get down here you pasty jetpack bitches, aroooohahaha!"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Skellybones posted:

And the Grey Knights. And the Red Scorpions.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cythereal posted:

Or the Space Wolf primaris in the Raven Guard. Or the Blood Angel in the Imperial Fists.

Cawl should just offer all the Word Bearer primares to the Black Templars. Not like anyone will be able to tell the difference.

Guilliman still seems to only make up chapters out of one type of Marine. While in the Unnumbered all the companies were mixed, once they do get assigned to a chapter it will be with the same type. Though some of them are a bit broken up about it as they got to know each other well. The Space Wolf mentioned being Crestfallen was best friends with a Dark Angel.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

The World Eater primares would also work quite well in the Black Templars.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

JBP posted:

Can you explain this?

Alpha Legion's entire deal is that they infiltrate places where no one expects them too. Its likely GW will go that route and have a portion of the alpha legion primaris defect or whatever.

Skellybones posted:

They did actually, loyalist based chapters go renegade all the time yet the Blood Angels managed to stay loyalist despite a civil war. Also as someone mentioned see the Grey Knights, Red Scorpions and arguably the inquisition since it was essentially founded by loyalist marines from traitor legions.

Also regarding the whole primarch loyalist thing, its canon that the Terran Marines kinda did not get all the hype and the whole worshipful father figure thing came more about from the populations that were recruited from the planet. This is why a lot of the Terran marines got purged in traitor legions. So while some of it is nature a lot of it was nuture.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jun 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Telsa Cola posted:

Alpha Legion's entire deal is that they infiltrate places where no one expects them too. Its likely GW will go that route and have a portion of the alpha legion primaris defect or whatever.

Though in this case they would not be pre disposed towards things as there is no primarch or veterans. They would also be fleet based as they would not have a homeworld.