Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
The principle doesn't matter, fluff it anyway you want. It's that Rifle 1 is S3 and Rifle 2 is S4. Maybe Rifle 3 is S3 Sustained fire 1 Short range +1. It doesn't have to be "a literal Tyranid lasgun." Maybe it's Barbeder Strangler or some other nid nonsense. Maybe it's Gauss Flaquebus if you're Necron.

Point is, you have more choices for your purchases other than "nobody died? Then it's Red Dot sights for everyone!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:
Preamble:

The Sydney League Of Blood Bowlers (SLOBB) has been running for almost 10 years, and in its current incarnation consists of two divisions; Rookie and Premier. Rookie is fresh new 100TV teams, round robin play everyone in the division once. Premier is returning team or new teams @ 110TV, play the teams in your division once and one crossover game against a team in the other division, followed by a finals KO tournament for the top 6 across both divisions.

Premier is into Season 13, which is what I’ll be talking about during these posts. I’m running Norse, Norlanders XI, who have been through a rookie season (5th of 15), and are into their 4th attempt at a Premiership (best finish 3rd). Starting the season they’re sitting at 1750TV and are in quite trim shape. Unfortunately the site we use only shows the current state of the team, so I’m one game in and up a few skills from where the season began. Team is here: http://slobb.talkfantasyfootball.org/index.php?section=objhandler&type=1&obj=2&obj_id=250

What am I facing this season? Well, I’m feeling a bit like I’ve been dicked already. I’ve been drawn with some of the top coaches in Australia and a few other monster teams to play. This is the division I’m up against (Bone Idlers), and my cross-over game is against Conan (Chaos Dwarves): http://slobb.talkfantasyfootball.org/handler.php?type=leaguetables&tour_id=196

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
SLOBB Season XIII Game 1

With all that said and done I got my first game arranged against Mathfuric and his pink Necro: http://slobb.talkfantasyfootball.org/index.php?section=objhandler&type=1&obj=2&obj_id=43 . Lucky for me he was missing his best Fleshie, Ua da’Man. Teams were quite evenly matched with Norse @ 1750, and Necro @ 1830. I utilised my reasonable warchest and blew 150k gold to hire a wizard as I thought I would need it with only 12 players.

I won FAME (+1), Mathfuric won the toss and decided to kick (I think this was a mistake - Norse suffer from being AV7, and Math had enough MB to take some players off the pitch early on by kicking). We setup, Math’s kick scatters back towards the line of scrimmage, and he promptly rolls a blitz. The blitz is uneventful and results in a stun on my blodge/guard lino, but nothing I can’t recover from. My first turn I pull a few blocks, then attempt to pickup the ball with my Sure-hands thrower, who promptly fumbled it. This gave Math the chance to put the pressure on me, and he got a few TZ’s on the ball - at this point I’m either in big trouble, or if I can free up a few players I think I can probably clear up the situation as Math has committed a lot of his players in the blitz, and there’s only really a no-useful-skills Ghoul left as a sweeper.

By turn 3 or so I manage to clean out and stun both wolves who had made their way to surround the ball, and start to drive up the right side of the pitch. A cheeky 1d from a lino onto the sweeper ghoul is enough to clean up any real chance Math has of getting the ball back in the immediate term, and allows me to focus fire on knocking players down.

I drove as slowly as I could, close to the sideline, and a few fortuitous mistakes from my opponent (failed dodges), allowed me to perform a rolling stall. I picked up a pair of cas but both regened, and I land a T8 TD into the far left corner. By the end of the half both of us have taken a KO - mine comes back, my opponents doesn’t. Since I went first, Math has his T8 which is even less eventful than the rest of the half.

End of first half: Norse 1, Necro 0. 2 CAS to Norse (both regened), and Norse are 1 KO up. This leaves Necro with 13 players (zombie KO) and Norse with their starting 12 - and a wizard. Necro have already lost their first game of the season and with such a short tilt at getting into the finals (7 games), really need to win this to have any chance. I know this means Math will have to push for an early TD then turn me over and score again in the second half.

Second half; Norse setup compact with linesmen on scrimmage duty, blodgers around the edges, ulfs and Snow Troll in the middle, and ball carriers at the back (thrower and +AG). Kick starts in the middle square and dawdles back towards the line, ghoul using Kick-off return to collect, and the Necro start their charge.

First two turns of the half define the game. Necro T9, they drive down the right hand side of the pitch and put both a wolf and wight in scoring range, but in an attempt to farm SPP, spoon a pass between the two ghouls. This leaves the ball partially exposed behind a loose shield of players, but not in any TZ’s. Norse T9 sees me cover the players in scoring range, and punch a half-hole through the Necro to be able to get my thrower onto the ball. Predictably he follows his first half antics by failing the pickup, but this puts a lot of pressure on the Necro not only to clear him off, but to progress the ball down the field out of danger. Necro T10 sees a blitz on the thrower, who is KO’d (taking his leader RR with him), the ball is collected and moved down the field a bit but one of the wolves then fails a 3++ dodge out and causes an early turnover. This is disastrous as the ball carrier is now exposed.

Norse T10 sees a string of KO’s on key players - a wolf, a wight, and then a zombie to boot. Necro are now seriously short of players and exposed, and the ball carrier is duly sacked. Due to some iffy positioning on my part, my +AG player is able to scoop up the ball but isn’t able to do much with it - or himself. Necro T11 sees a 1DB blitz get the ball back, but the +AG wolf isn’t able to capitalise and make a 3+ 3+ to steal away and pick up the TD, tripping, stunning himself and causing another early turn over.

At this point the game is all going gravy for the Norse. The players capable of scoring for Necro are stunned, there’s a ghoul begging to be surfed, and the way down field is almost entirely clear (or clogged with Norse lino’s, ready to sacrifice themselves for the greater good). I am able to execute a flawless pickup and run away over the next two turns, leaving in my wake a few more KO’s, some farmed SPP from passes, and a rather depleted Necro team. The most exciting thing that happened was a series of blocks on ONE block zombie, which went:

Snow Troll: 3DB - both down, both down, both down
….hmmm, ok.
Blitzer: 3DB - both down, both down, both down
Well that’s pretty unusual!
Ulfwerner: 3DB - both down, both down, both down
You have got to be f’ing kidding me. How many both down’s are there on a dice again?
Final blitz from a Runner: 3DB - both down, both down, pow

The fella deserved the MVP right there for having soaked up 11 out of 12 blocks without flinching. Marvellous stuff. If he hadn’t fallen down at the end of that he was going to get a wizard to the face since there was no threat to my ball carrier, and I was in no hurry to use it otherwise. Ended up not getting used at all.

Final result was Norse 2 - 0 Necro. I picked up two skills, a second double on the Snow Troll and a 6+4 on my +AG lino. Also worth noting that for all my AV7, Math managed a grand total of 1 KO all game on me. Keeping players on the pitch certainly swung the game hard in my favour early in the second half when his armour finally cracked.

A great start to the season, giving me a few precious skills and a good chance to appraise where my opponents are at before picking my next match up.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yep, exactly. And why can't there be a Tyranid evolution that happens to spit out lasfire? Etc.

Guyver/Zoanoid bio-beams!?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Atlas Hugged posted:

Apparently it's a really good skirmish game and the AI zombie rules were good enough that they got ported into Deadzone for some solo and campaign missions. It's also selling really well and has fully justified Mantic pursuing it by this point. Zombies sell. It's ridiculous.

Yeah it's a good game, and the skirmish side is basically everyone forms a band of survivors competing for supplies. The biggest downside is that, because of the licensing agreement, they can't just make generic dude models. Everyone has to be a character from the comics. It was apparently a several week back and forth to get the okay to include a zombified Ronnie model as a kickstarter exclusive.

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

Guyver/Zoanoid bio-beams!?

Cant do this guy, because then Samus Aran would be the obvious counter and we can't have women in space marine armor.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Cant do this guy, because then Samus Aran would be the obvious counter and we can't have women in space marine armor.

Get your grubby mits off my* Sisters of Battle!

*I don't have any due to the fact that it's $60 for 10 line SoBs, but you get the idea

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The biggest downside is that, because of the licensing agreement, they can't just make generic dude models. Everyone has to be a character from the comics. It was apparently a several week back and forth to get the okay to include a zombified Ronnie model as a kickstarter exclusive.

Jesus, that's incredibly poo poo. I like to think I'd have torn up that contract and walked away but this is probably a mega cash cow for them.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Got to play some necromunda today, it's much better than I expected.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Cassa posted:

Got to play some necromunda today, it's much better than I expected.

I really hope that the digital version lives up because Necromunda is cool poo poo.

I bought Blood Bowl today after pre-ordering Dark Imperium. If anyone wants to host an intervention just PM me the invite.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Shadin posted:

I really hope that the digital version lives up because Necromunda is cool poo poo.

I bought Blood Bowl today after pre-ordering Dark Imperium. If anyone wants to host an intervention just PM me the invite.

Digital necromunda?

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Digital necromunda?

http://www.necromunda-underhivewars.com

Same crew that did Mordheim.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

I'm looking forward to it. I've put an embarrassing amount of time into Mordheim: City of the Damned over the past month, and while there's a lot I like about it, there's a lot I don't. It's also janky as poo poo but that's kind of charming most of the time.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

SRM posted:

I'm looking forward to it. I've put an embarrassing amount of time into Mordheim: City of the Damned over the past month, and while there's a lot I like about it, there's a lot I don't. It's also janky as poo poo but that's kind of charming most of the time.

Agreed. I loving love Mordheim and that's with a full knowledge that it has serious issues. In fact the only fear I have for Necromunda is they won't release any more warbands for CotD.

If they re-release Mordheim ala Shadow Wars with terrain I might just go into manchild coma.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

This was cool. Thanks for sharing, and I hope you can do more!

I am very jealous that you guys have such an established league.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Shadin posted:

If they re-release Mordheim ala Shadow Wars with terrain I might just go into manchild coma.

:same:

Now that the Frostgrave cultists exist I can finally make the Warband I always wanted.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Lord_Hambrose posted:

:same:

Now that the Frostgrave cultists exist I can finally make the Warband I always wanted.

Hadn't even seen those, that's some cool models. I usually do Skaven and am hoping they expand them in AoS some more beyond the Pestilens before they do a Mordheim reboot.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

The Sex Cannon posted:

This was cool. Thanks for sharing, and I hope you can do more!

I am very jealous that you guys have such an established league.

In this case I might have to start doing trip reports of my local Blood Bowl league (36 teams across 4 conferences). Had a game today where I'd requested a friendly against Elves because my next match was against Dark Elves... despite losing 2-0 at the buzzer, it was one of the closest games I've played because wiping my opponent so they couldn't set 3 people up on the LoS on the next drive, and therefore winning by default, turned out to be an actual winning strategy.

It was a weird game where I'm glad it wasn't a league match because I lost - but at the same time I would have got stupid amounts of SPP from injuring people off the pitch.

Necromantic are a difficult team to play, but when they work they're so much fun - Flesh Golems can stall any cage unless you're really unlucky, and Werewolf sweepers will eat anybody thrown deep into your half.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

glitchkrieg posted:

Necromantic are a difficult team to play, but when they work they're so much fun - Flesh Golems can stall any cage unless you're really unlucky, and Werewolf sweepers will eat anybody thrown deep into your half.

Werewolves are death. That combo of high speed and claws is savage. God help your opponents if one ever hits ST 4.

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
Thanks, glad you appreciated it. I struggled a bit as I don't take notes or pics during the game, but the broad sweep of things is very much correct. The league is 1 game a month, so reports will be a bit intermittent, would love to read reports from other leagues.

In good news though there's the biggest blood bowl tournament in the southern hemisphere coming up at the beginning of July, which I should be attending at least one day of. I'll write up a report from there too if people are interested.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Werewolves are death. That combo of high speed and claws is savage. God help your opponents if one ever hits ST 4.

And this is just one reason why I love Norse - sucked in killer teams, waste that precious TV on Claw! My team have his the sort of TV where they aren't that tenable for what you get, so unless we move to BB2016 rebuy mechanics (we aren't yet), then I will be out muscled and classed by matching TV teams very shortly. I have ridden a bandwagon of inducements to get this team as far as I have, and now that's running thin.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I probably disliked the Mordheim game more than I liked it. The battles are so boring and dreary, and both advances and weapon purchases have the power of a wet fart.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
My club's BB crowd is preparing for its annual league. I think we're expecting approx 30 teams in the conferences, then seeded into the knockout phase. I'm going to play for the first time which is both scary and exciting. Maximum of 10 games if you end up in the final.

I've decided I'll be playing Amazons, as they are a rare sight in this BB community. I have the Willy Miniatures Zon team from their crowdfunder a few years ago and they are mostly nice models albeit rather cheesecakey.

Anyone got any playing tips for Amazons? I'm a very inexperienced BB player, especially on TT.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

ineptmule posted:

Anyone got any playing tips for Amazons? I'm a very inexperienced BB player, especially on TT.

Tips? If you're inexperienced, don't play Amazons. They're "marketed" as a noob-friendly team but I find you can't rely on Dodge because AG3, and AV7 means they'll explode if you look at them funny.

Get some practise games on Fumbbl if you can, plus here's therelevant plasmoids strategy guide.

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
Zons are a funny lot - you have to rely on dodge (and your odds aren't bad), but you really don't want to have to rely on dodging all the time because Nuffle will take a chunk out of you sooner or later. I played them last Rookie season and found them very hard to win with, and I consider myself to be at least slightly competent.

What I did was to ignore the flavour of the roster and take the most min/max list I could - start with 4 blitzers, 4 RR, and the rest in linos. Gave me enough for an apoth after the first game, and only use the apoth on the blitzers. Pad out with players as soon as you can to get to 13-14, and don't take any positionals other than the blitzers. Skill them up hard and fast (this was where I fell down; mine kept dying) - MB, Guard, Tackle, PO (if your league is playing NAF PO rules and not silly BB2016 ones).

Linos are totally disposable and only there for gang fouling and getting in the way - hit up at least two DP's early on, then blodge/wrestle the rest as they skill. This will probably be quite slowly as you can now simply direct all your MVP's onto your blitzers.

These would be my top tips on playing them:
If you can keep your TV quite low you can get heaps of inducements (hopefully you get wizards still) which will really help as other teams will outstrip what you're capable of quickly.
They break easy, keep spares but don't fire them unless really necessary.
Mv6 is slow. Wrestle is good but in moderation as anything less than a 2-turn touchdown is out of the question, and too many players on the floor is always a problem.
AG3 dodge is a bit dicey but you usually can't afford to leave zons standing round next to opponents too much, so have a little faith in it.
I like zons but I like Norse more.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Shadin posted:

I know a set of fantasy terrain has been designed, but I don't know the launch window for it.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Forgot to thank you for posting that in depth game review. I love reading those reports, and just grabbed Blood Bowl this week as a newbie to it so it's interesting to hear.

glitchkrieg posted:

In this case I might have to start doing trip reports of my local Blood Bowl league (36 teams across 4 conferences).

Do it up, son.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Talking of Blood Bowl, I painted up a friend's converted Orc team as a belated birthday gift (the main delay was him deciding which team he wanted me to paint, he's mental for Blood Bowl and has loads of them!):

Was a lot of fun painting these guys and I hope they bring him luck on the field :orks101:

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Zark the Damned posted:

Talking of Blood Bowl, I painted up a friend's converted Orc team as a belated birthday gift (the main delay was him deciding which team he wanted me to paint, he's mental for Blood Bowl and has loads of them!):

Was a lot of fun painting these guys and I hope they bring him luck on the field :orks101:

Those guys are awesome. What is that troll model?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Cheers!

The troll is the plastic GW river troll, converted with a couple of black orc shields for shoulder pads. It's the most recent addition (he used the other two from the box on his newer Goblin team). These guys work really well for Blood Bowl, pretty much all you have to do is cut weapons off and they're fine.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Zark the Damned posted:

Cheers!

The troll is the plastic GW river troll, converted with a couple of black orc shields for shoulder pads. It's the most recent addition (he used the other two from the box on his newer Goblin team). These guys work really well for Blood Bowl, pretty much all you have to do is cut weapons off and they're fine.

That's awesome, taking notes. To learn the game my friends and I are starting with the video game version and about to begin a league competition. Orcs are my first team I'm trying out.

Speaking of, any BB experts want to weigh in on my starting lineup?

4x Black Orcs
4x Blitzers
2x Linemen
1x Thrower
3x Rerolls

10k gold left over, I was thinking my first purchase would be an Apothecary.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's one of the standard starts. Understand that the lineorcs are there to die so valuable things don't have to and go to town.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

goatface posted:

It's one of the standard starts. Understand that the lineorcs are there to die so valuable things don't have to and go to town.

Yeah in my (limited) understanding that's how I had it figured. Keep the linemen on the LOS to take the worst of it. I was concerned about not taking a troll but it's so expensive and the Black Orcs and Blitzers seem good enough to want the max amount, and the thrower looked like the only one capable of picking up the ball most of the time.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

Shadin posted:

Yeah in my (limited) understanding that's how I had it figured. Keep the linemen on the LOS to take the worst of it. I was concerned about not taking a troll but it's so expensive and the Black Orcs and Blitzers seem good enough to want the max amount, and the thrower looked like the only one capable of picking up the ball most of the time.

Sure Hands is a lifesaver for Orc ball handling - but once they have a skill or two (like Block followed by Accurate) then you'll want to start handing off to Blitzers and Black Orcs where possible so that the throwers don't hog the XP.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

I won my 6th game in a row in my league tonight. It was a really close one against Skaven. My opponent had 3 really costly snake eyes moments. If any one of them were reversed, he would have won or we would have tied.

Fortunately my team is sitting happily at 1510 TV atop the leaderboard.

Skaven are remarkably good at recovering position if they can manage to stay on the field. All that AV 7 makes it easy for them to spend a ton of time in the dugout, though. He had a 14-rat team, but by the end, he had 6 players in the dead and injured box.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Sex Cannon posted:

I won my 6th game in a row in my league tonight. It was a really close one against Skaven. My opponent had 3 really costly snake eyes moments. If any one of them were reversed, he would have won or we would have tied.

Skaven are remarkably good at recovering position if they can manage to stay on the field. All that AV 7 makes it easy for them to spend a ton of time in the dugout, though. He had a 14-rat team, but by the end, he had 6 players in the dead and injured box.

Retire the team and play ogres.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

The Sex Cannon posted:

I played my first game as Zons in my club's warm up league before the real thing starts in August. Had a great time by had 7 KO or injured by the end. Two -AV busts on AV7 players as well... :(

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

ineptmule posted:

I played my first game as Zons in my club's warm up league before the real thing starts in August. Had a great time by had 7 KO or injured by the end. Two -AV busts on AV7 players as well... :(

AV7 really needs higher strength (Norse), Agility (Wood/Pro Elf), or movement (Skaven) to prevent too many injuries. Amazons have none of that, and really suffer because of it.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Yeah, it feels a little harsh that Norse, which is a similar setup in some respects, what with a universal skill gimmick and low armour, gets all kinds of improvements to their positionals to be better at their role as well as a big guy and blocker type players. Zons feel left behind by the design committee and could do with some love.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Retire the team and play ogres.

You've seen how nice my dudes are painted. No way I'm not using them!

The Sex Cannon fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 13, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
They're very nice. Paint more! Bigger ones! And smaller ones!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

ineptmule posted:

Yeah, it feels a little harsh that Norse, which is a similar setup in some respects, what with a universal skill gimmick and low armour, gets all kinds of improvements to their positionals to be better at their role as well as a big guy and blocker type players. Zons feel left behind by the design committee and could do with some love.

They're designed like a throwing team, and have better position players to facilitate that than Norse. But the throwing game is the least "safe" way to play BB (fumbbl are really down on it as a tactic, but they're the most conservative players), and so Zons suffer when running unless you have hot dice with AG3 dodging. I don't think they were ever expected to be anything more than a novelty team - but they can be pretty nasty in tournaments where you can buy skills, or early on in a league as long as you don't have a match-up against Dwarves.