Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Ferremit posted:

Technically it is... Its a roof rack for the landcruiser with a Roof Top Tent on it. Theres a heap of camping gear stored up on top of the front of it.

How do you like the roof top tent? I think they look cool bit I don't like the idea of having to break camp anytime I want to go somewhere, and I feel like being surrounded by air on all sides would make them super cold in the winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Ferremit posted:

Ive got an FS480 for my 900m2 block.. its comically oversized but it cost me $62 to put a bump feed head on it and a $7 primer bulb so.....

And it also happily spins 40cm of line out each side of the head, it cuts a bigger path than my loving lawnmower.

Finished up my workshop mezzanine too. Now i've effectively got a 12mx 6m shed in a 9m x 6m footprint. And theres SO MUCH MORE FLOORSPACE NOW THAT ITS NOT COVERED IN poo poo!

What's the headspace like up there? I can't remember how tall you made the shed.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

DICK DICER posted:

So the civic is getting expired tabs tickets literally every other day. I cant renew them until my license is valid. I cant get that restored until I pay off all the tickets. The close outdoor storage places all require a car be running and fully tabbed and Insured to store for.a month plus, and the one that didn't require that starts at $300/mo just for an unsecured spot in their lot

Why does the state of your license have anything to do with the tags on the car? Is that a Washington thing? In TX, you can register, tag, and inspect a car without a license required, as far as I know. Maybe I'm wrong - I've never had an expired or revoked driver's license.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Darchangel posted:

Why does the state of your license have anything to do with the tags on the car? Is that a Washington thing? In TX, you can register, tag, and inspect a car without a license required, as far as I know. Maybe I'm wrong - I've never had an expired or revoked driver's license.

yeah its a Washington thing, you have to have a valid drivers license to register a car to stop illegals. if you're caught parking on the street with tabs that are 6 months or more expired they can impound your car!

one easy fix is to just loving stop hanging onto a piece of poo poo car that isn't helping your situation

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Rhyno posted:

Amazing.

And also in need of new clothes. Nearly nothing fits!
A good problem to have.

edit: If its in that direction.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

InitialDave posted:

Yes, the basics of the scheme are the same, but:

This is the problem with the schemes in a lot of places (including one my place tried to run). Even with the tax saving, you can get a better deal just through regular sales at somewhere like Halfords.

Re-reading the small print they don't specify anything about a final payment, just that the company takes out the loan and you pay it back over 12 months.
There is a calculator that tells you how much you will pay in total as you sign up so now I'm hoping that's how much it will be. Plenty of colleagues have used the scheme and have been fine with it
In the small print it does state nothing outside of the small print itself will form part of the contract so I'd imagine they can't have hidden sneaky extra fees elsewhere.

If not in 12 months there will be plenty of cursing going on

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

yeah its a Washington thing, you have to have a valid drivers license to register a car to stop illegals. if you're caught parking on the street with tabs that are 6 months or more expired they can impound your car!

one easy fix is to just loving stop hanging onto a piece of poo poo car that isn't helping your situation

Huh. I get the parking on the street with expired tabs thing, but the driver's license thing is... I don't know what to call it. Hostile. You get circular poo poo like 14's got now.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

freelop posted:

If not in 12 months there will be plenty of cursing going on
You can just hand it back in (to HR) and see who blinks first about the final payment being negotiable.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

InitialDave posted:

You can just hand it back in (to HR) and see who blinks first about the final payment being negotiable.

I paid about £800 for a £1000 bike. At the end of the 12 months they sent me a letter saying if I'd like to buy the bike it'd cost £120. Otherwise to ignore the letter and they'd ask me again the year after and continue lending me the bike.

After 3 years a letter arrived asking if I'd like to buy the bike again with a revised sum of £12. In order to stop the poor lady sending me letters about it I called up, paid my £12 and now own the thing outright.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

To celebrate my last speeding ticket being 4 years old and coming off my license last month I managed to get myself a new one :(

If I'm 4 mph over the 'speed awareness course' limit do I have a £100+ fine to look forward to? Or will this count as my first offence and let me do a course?

Annoyingly I saw the fucker and I was sure that I had slowed down as I was following someone else :(

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

DICK DICER posted:

So the civic is getting expired tabs tickets literally every other day. I cant renew them until my license is valid. I cant get that restored until I pay off all the tickets. The close outdoor storage places all require a car be running and fully tabbed and Insured to store for.a month plus, and the one that didn't require that starts at $300/mo just for an unsecured spot in their lot

Get a car cover?

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Tomarse posted:

Annoyingly I saw the fucker and I was sure that I had slowed down as I was following someone else :(

I think they can get you from 1km away, so by the time you see them they may already have you. You have my condolences. I spent a few years on 9 points* but I've been lucky to stay clean since then, aside from one I managed to do a course for - thankfully it was just over the border as we don't do courses in Scotland.

Most of the time nowadays I stick to 10% over according to GPS - passed plenty of cameras and I've not got caught yet. If I'm going quicker than that I've made a conscious decision that I'm enjoying myself enough that I won't mind catching a ticket.

*in the UK that means if you get caught again you'll be looking at a ban unless you are lucky.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Get a car cover?

I bet Washington required that the license plate be visible regardless, given that they're already being assholes about renewing the tabs.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I am getting the itch to buy a new lens for my camera to tinker with. It is a crop sensor Canon. I have a 50mm/f1.8 which gets a lot of action now. I am considering a pancake lens, the 24mm looks fun and cheap. I am wanting to mainly do portraiture and take pics of cars. Should I go that path? I am not ready to hurl $700+ on lenses until I master my crop sensor camera and equipment. I will one day like to go bonkers with L glass and a full frame camera. I just am not there yet.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

yeah its a Washington thing

DAGGUM CANADIANS RUININ MAH REGISTRAYSHUN! :bahgawd:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

stump posted:

I think they can get you from 1km away, so by the time you see them they may already have you. You have my condolences. I spent a few years on 9 points* but I've been lucky to stay clean since then, aside from one I managed to do a course for - thankfully it was just over the border as we don't do courses in Scotland.

Most of the time nowadays I stick to 10% over according to GPS - passed plenty of cameras and I've not got caught yet. If I'm going quicker than that I've made a conscious decision that I'm enjoying myself enough that I won't mind catching a ticket.

*in the UK that means if you get caught again you'll be looking at a ban unless you are lucky.

quote:

Some drivers may be eligible to attend a Speed Awareness Course rather than a fine and points on their licence. To be eligible you must not have completed a course within the previous three years and the speed of the vehicle must fall into a certain criteria.

Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) guidelines regarding the speed of vehicles.

Speed Limit / Actual Speed to be offered a course

30 / 35 - 42

40 / 46 - 53

50 / 57 - 64

60 / 68 - 75

70 / 79 - 86

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Darchangel posted:

I bet Washington required that the license plate be visible regardless, given that they're already being assholes about renewing the tabs.

Yeah last car cover I saw had a plastic window for the plate for just that reason. Sucks.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

To celebrate my last speeding ticket being 4 years old and coming off my license last month I managed to get myself a new one :(

If I'm 4 mph over the 'speed awareness course' limit do I have a £100+ fine to look forward to? Or will this count as my first offence and let me do a course?

Are you on Pistonheads? There's a lot of previous threads there, and people who know this stuff, and can give good advice on speeding punishments. Fair number of dickheads too, though.

I think you'll get 3 points and a £100 fine. Did they stop you for a chat at the time, or waiting on a NIP (Notice of Intended Prosecution, for those following along abroad)?

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost
I know contact chat was a couple days ago, but I just heard about these guys....

https://www.hubblecontacts.com/

FDA approved contacts for $30/month. Doesn't look like they do toric lenses for that price (no surprise there), but that's 1/2 the price I'm currently paying for J&J Acuvue lenses. I'm going to give them a try when my current supply runs out.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Anyone have any experience with car dollies? Those tiny casters look like a giant pain in the rear end to move on uneven concrete

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Door Frame posted:

Anyone have any experience with car dollies? Those tiny casters look like a giant pain in the rear end to move on uneven concrete
I have some. They're ok, but yes, uneven surfaces can be a little tricky, as can changing direction and getting the castors to agree smoothly.

However, the inertia of moving an entire car (which is part of the latter issue) helps them punch over the odd rough spot better than an engine crane etc - once they're moving, they tend to keep going rather than stopping dead.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

Are you on Pistonheads? There's a lot of previous threads there, and people who know this stuff, and can give good advice on speeding punishments. Fair number of dickheads too, though.

I think you'll get 3 points and a £100 fine. Did they stop you for a chat at the time, or waiting on a NIP (Notice of Intended Prosecution, for those following along abroad)?

just got the NIP. 46 in a 30 from a van parked about 400m after the 30 sign (it drops from 60).

I've just looked at the photo online and they got me at 46 from 367.1 metres away! - so pretty much right after the speed limit drop sign :(

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Tomarse posted:

just got the NIP. 46 in a 30 from a van parked about 400m after the 30 sign (it drops from 60).

I've just looked at the photo online and they got me at 46 from 367.1 metres away! - so pretty much right after the speed limit drop sign :(

I've got some really lovely news for you:

quote:

Band B - you will be put in this band if you were between 11 and 20mph over the legal limit. You may need to appear in court where you would be fined between 75% and 125% of your weekly income. Between four and six penalty points will be added to your licence or you would be banned from driving for between seven and 28 days.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39686894
http://www.which.co.uk/reviews/cars/article/speeding-tickets-explained

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

The NIP arrived within the 14 day limit, yes? Probably going to get an offer for the fixed penalty with the aforementioned £100 and 3 points.

Edit: Just seen Spog's post. Bit poo poo, but ah well. However, isn't that only when imposed by a court? You could still receive a normal fixed panalty?

Edit 2: Yes, I believe those are purely court guidelines for sentencing. I don't think it changes the FPN situation, and I think you're still eligible for one.

See what happens, I guess.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 7, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

I don't have any complaints about my Harbor Freight dollies, but I have a pretty smooth garage floor, and the RX-7 that's on them only weighs about 2500 pounds or so.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

The Door Frame posted:

I have several sets of the cheap harbor freight car dollies and a set of their furniture moving dollies (cheaper). They work decent but will get stuck on every little pebble. Getting them started is tough on heavier cars unless you point all the wheels the direction you want to go before starting. That said I have several sets for a reason, they're handy as hell. The lighter the car the better...race car is a piece of cake, E28 takes some muscle.

spog posted:

I've got some really lovely news for you:

Band B - you will be put in this band if you were between 11 and 20mph over the legal limit. You may need to appear in court where you would be fined between 75% and 125% of your weekly income. Between four and six penalty points will be added to your licence or you would be banned from driving for between seven and 28 days.
drat they're pretty serious about speeding over there

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

NitroSpazzz posted:

I have several sets of the cheap harbor freight car dollies and a set of their furniture moving dollies (cheaper). They work decent but will get stuck on every little pebble. Getting them started is tough on heavier cars unless you point all the wheels the direction you want to go before starting. That said I have several sets for a reason, they're handy as hell. The lighter the car the better...race car is a piece of cake, E28 takes some muscle.

Serious about making money from speeding.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Yes. Four kittens and a small infant literally exploded when Tomarse went past them, and he must be punished for it.

Basically, there's an incessant ideological push toward "speed is dangerous, full stop".

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I am getting the itch to buy a new lens for my camera to tinker with. It is a crop sensor Canon. I have a 50mm/f1.8 which gets a lot of action now. I am considering a pancake lens, the 24mm looks fun and cheap. I am wanting to mainly do portraiture and take pics of cars. Should I go that path? I am not ready to hurl $700+ on lenses until I master my crop sensor camera and equipment. I will one day like to go bonkers with L glass and a full frame camera. I just am not there yet.

L Glass makes mastering the camera more fun.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I'd seen that. I'm hoping they save the meanest penalties for people with lots of points. I technically have a clean license and its not like it was 130mph or at 3pm outside a school (its at 7pm near a cemetery and the national speed limit sign would be visible in frame opposite my car if it were winter and the trees had no leaves on)..

InitialDave posted:

The NIP arrived within the 14 day limit, yes? Probably going to get an offer for the fixed penalty with the aforementioned £100 and 3 points.

Edit: Just seen Spog's post. Bit poo poo, but ah well. However, isn't that only when imposed by a court? You could still receive a normal fixed panalty?

Edit 2: Yes, I believe those are purely court guidelines for sentencing. I don't think it changes the FPN situation, and I think you're still eligible for one.

See what happens, I guess.

I'm not hugely worried as going by my payslip from May i'm looking at £150-£250 for 75-125% of my weekly income (I run my own company and technically at this point this financial year i'm making a loss as I've got a shitload of big invoices outstanding!). I can't imagine it will affect my insurance since I still had my last one on my last renewal.

I'd like to post the picture they took but the police website says i'm not allowed to share it, which is a bit unreasonable since its a photo of me in a public place. My car is at the back of a queue of cars behind a pickup towing a mini digger. I'd like to see what the other people got caught at if i'm doing 46mph at the back of the queue

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Get a 10-22 for cars it's perfect for that, and use your 50mm for portraits, wide open preferably for maximum bokeh.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

bend posted:

LOL @ "It only does 200k, but on a tiny dirt road with trees, that's pretty fast"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMAR9mBFN4c&feature=youtu.be

This is not getting enough love. So amazing

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

slothrop posted:

This is not getting enough love. So amazing

Not really amazing. "1%-er builds cool toy with unlimited capital and family connections. Uses extra time to learn to drive.". Hardly inspiring for people without $100k in machine tools and other demands on their time.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

mungtor posted:

Not really amazing. "1%-er builds cool toy with unlimited capital and family connections. Uses extra time to learn to drive.". Hardly inspiring for people without $100k in machine tools and other demands on their time.

So go suggest to the narrator he speaks to a very small privateer WRC/APRC/ARC team that built their car in a fibro and asbestos shed with tools from Cash Converters and next to no budget..... who think the guy in this video is loving cool as gently caress

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

mungtor posted:

IDGAF who built the car. The car is cool. This is AI. Baggage at the door etc.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

mungtor posted:

Appropriate avatar/text post combo.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
Many chat threads ago ago a goon recommended this song

Consider This - Matt Lange

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh5mMMrtJ_A

I just got a chance to listen to it on the new amp that a buddy built me. The new speakers are still in progress but even on the 40 year old homebuilt jobbies that I got second hand, it sounds AMAZING. Best of all? I'm about $14 and some old computer parts into it.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Neat!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

stump posted:

I was with a highway patrol friend shooting laser on a highway a few weeks back. I won't say 1KM is impossible, but in my albeit very, very limited experience it would be tough. The target (a piece of your car) would just be super tiny in the viewfinder to be still for long enough to get a lock, especially freehanded. We were pretty routinely getting under 500m though. The oncoming drivers would have easily been able to see us before they were painted. I mean, who doesn't slow down for a white car parked on the road up ahead with a couple guys wearing safety vests in front of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump
Jan 19, 2006

slidebite posted:

I'd won't say 1KM is impossible, but in my albeit very, very limited experience it would be tough.

I'm assuming it was a camera van like this, so it would be more stable than a guy with a hairdryer but I mostly agree. From what I understand 1km is the maximum range they can be used, but seeing as they have to spot and target you first its less likely they would get you at that distance.

Tomarse, I think Dave is right that you will probably just get 3 points, so it likely isn't worth fighting, but if you wanted to PePiPoo might be worth a look - it has a better signal to noise ratio than pistonheads.

• Locked thread