Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Scott Porter has started doing his unboxing videos for the What If set, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwsppaBHPXk

He's talking about what he hopes is in the set before he starts opening boosters and it's kinda depressing cause he wants Xmen and Fantastic Four stuff because, as he rightly says, those are usually the coolest What Ifs and you know there aren't going to be any of the latter and probably not many of the former in there.

The Runaways look quite cool and the Shield agent Punisher, Iron Punisher and Jessica Jones as the Avengers/Shield Liaison are all neat but not a fan of yet more 616 Punishers and Iron Men even if the dials are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Saw someone on the realms going "I always wondered what would happen if the vast arsenal of Iron Man had access to the mystical abilities of Dr. Strange. Turns out it'd be 45 points with no damage reducers or attack powers."

I fear this may be a disappointing set. Although finally, Aunt May can kick your rear end in this game.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Problem I found with a lot of What If stories is they quite often end right when they would become really cool. Like quite often you get essentially their new origin story and then it ends. Or the ones from the late 00s, they spent like, half the goddamn issue explaining the character and branching point for the story before they even get to the actual story.

I haven't read the Tony Stark as Sorcerer Supreme one but if it ended right as Tony Stark got made Sorcerer Supreme or something, could explain the dial. Though they've created characters out of whole cloth based on not many or zero comic panels before, they could have done it here.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

thebardyspoon posted:

He's talking about what he hopes is in the set before he starts opening boosters and it's kinda depressing cause he wants Xmen and Fantastic Four stuff because, as he rightly says, those are usually the coolest What Ifs and you know there aren't going to be any of the latter and probably not many of the former in there.

Yeah, don't expect any of the former. Marvel finally allowed the X-Men back into 'Clix despite not having the movie rights, but under the strict rule that sets either be all Avengers-type characters or all X-Men type characters, no mixing. That's why we didn't get a Deadpool with the Avengers keyword, for example. Sometimes, a figure can slip through (like Squirrel Girl), but this set is clearly falling on the Avengers side of things.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Deadpool should never have the Avengers keyword.

Deadpool should not be an Avenger.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Torrent posted:

Yeah, don't expect any of the former. Marvel finally allowed the X-Men back into 'Clix despite not having the movie rights, but under the strict rule that sets either be all Avengers-type characters or all X-Men type characters, no mixing. That's why we didn't get a Deadpool with the Avengers keyword, for example. Sometimes, a figure can slip through (like Squirrel Girl), but this set is clearly falling on the Avengers side of things.

Good Christ.

I'm afraid to ask if/when the Marvel license for clix runs out.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Today was definitely a better day for the 15th Anniversary sets, as some cool figures got previewed in the Game Trade from this month as well. I just hate these dumb worthless low point rehashes of figures we got less than a month ago.

Apparently our store is only getting four bricks each of What If and Elseworlds, so I think in lieu of a prerelease for each we'll probably save them and try to stretch them out for use with the Colossal OP kits, as sealed games are the only time we get more than three players anymore.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:
I actually get to play in an event tonight! 500 points, must have a generic theme team. I can finally play some of this deadpool thats been collecting dust

I'm doing Animal

Unicorn Deadpool
Hellcow
Squirrel Girl
2 ASM Werewolves
Black Cat
Titano at 20
Ace the Bat Hound
Klarion the Witch Boy

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
Oh, hey, it looks like WizKids reversed course, and we're getting proper tournaments at Gen-Con. Pretty much the same stuff from Origins, plus a WKO. Good thing I checked, so that I still have time to shift to making a more generic 'convention' deck for the Joker's Wild tournament, rather than making an Origins-specific one.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Torrent posted:

Oh, hey, it looks like WizKids reversed course, and we're getting proper tournaments at Gen-Con. Pretty much the same stuff from Origins, plus a WKO. Good thing I checked, so that I still have time to shift to making a more generic 'convention' deck for the Joker's Wild tournament, rather than making an Origins-specific one.

Well hell, if they keep that up I might have a reason to go back next year.

In other news there were more What If previews and at this point I really hope to never get another Daredevil piece again.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Sanschel posted:

Well hell, if they keep that up I might have a reason to go back next year.

In other news there were more What If previews and at this point I really hope to never get another Daredevil piece again.

Welcome back to the early days of the game when Marvel insisted on a Daredevil and Elektra in every set for some reason.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Morand posted:

I actually get to play in an event tonight! 500 points, must have a generic theme team. I can finally play some of this deadpool thats been collecting dust

I'm doing Animal

Unicorn Deadpool
Hellcow
Squirrel Girl
2 ASM Werewolves
Black Cat
Titano at 20
Ace the Bat Hound
Klarion the Witch Boy

Team Animal went 3-0.

Round 1 against a bunch of Martial Artists that also had the Marvel Knights Keyword and ATA.

Won Map and chose one with 0 hindering and played a game of come to me. Deadpool was a terror, Koing a Man without fear in one turn with a good bcf roll and then an exploit. Teekl eviscerated a deadpool, Squirrel Girl just summoned many squirrel friends for tie up. Lost a werewolf and got everyone on his team save one Moon Knight.

Round 2 versus Scientists
AVDFW Pick a power Iron Man
Living Brain
The 100 point SR Spider Man
AOU Black Panther.

Won map and played on black mercy because I love it. This was a game of keep away as I held back and slowly sidestepped up while he slowly moved down. Eventually when I had a bunch of squirrels I swarmed him with them and he took the bait, Koing all of them. Ace chose outwit and killed Iron Man's invincible and TItano retaliated, hitting both attacks and doing 6 clicks to everyone except Black Panther who was out of range. He pushed Iron Man to take a shot at the ape and crit missed. Titano then retaliated again and basically KO'd that entire group. Panther took down the 2 wolves before the unicorn got him.

Round 3 versus Mystical

TItle Character Dr. Strange
AVDF Ghost RIder
Gargoyle
Shiklah
Swordsman

Long story short, this was a very new guy and he made some mistakes. I lost 2 werewolves but got everyone but Gargoyle.

I'd type a longer summary but the baby decided we only needed about an hours worth of sleep and my brain is fried.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Doublepost for the goblin king.

https://wizkids.com/heroclix/2017/05/26/marvel-heroclix-what-if-goblin-king/

He is better at being Jakeem Thunder then Jakeem is.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Morand posted:

Doublepost for the goblin king.

https://wizkids.com/heroclix/2017/05/26/marvel-heroclix-what-if-goblin-king/

He is better at being Jakeem Thunder then Jakeem is.
I mean, at least at 75 you can force through enough clicks to kill him, and otherwise he's a hefty point investment?

He's going to get much nastier after the new rules hit, because "just Outwit the stuff he picks" isn't gonna help on him.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
Sounds like What If...? got oversold, and my local shop is getting allocated hard. We're only getting one case shipped to us. I mean, I'm not all too enthused about the character choices in the set, so I wasn't going to buy all that much, but that's barely enough to cover one sealed event. To say nothing of the guys who were hoping to come up with a Goblin King before Worlds...

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Torrent posted:

Sounds like What If...? got oversold, and my local shop is getting allocated hard. We're only getting one case shipped to us. I mean, I'm not all too enthused about the character choices in the set, so I wasn't going to buy all that much, but that's barely enough to cover one sealed event. To say nothing of the guys who were hoping to come up with a Goblin King before Worlds...

Ouch. Now I am curious to see how much Goblin King is commanding on the secondary markets.

edit:60-70 or so. I was convinced it would be triple digits or closer.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
HCRealms has all of the What If? dials up, by the way, including the chases and Ameridroid. I like parts of it, but overall it's a pretty meh set.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

HCRealms has all of the What If? dials up, by the way, including the chases and Ameridroid. I like parts of it, but overall it's a pretty meh set.

I bought a few boosters, and I just don't love any of what I got, except for a SHIELD Punisher. The amount of sculpt reuse is loving insulting.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Red posted:

I bought a few boosters, and I just don't love any of what I got, except for a SHIELD Punisher. The amount of sculpt reuse is loving insulting.
What If? they had originally planned to have a sizable number of the set be X-Men and Fantastic 4 related, and had to scramble to fill in a suddenly unusable chunk of their set list?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Father Wendigo posted:

What If? they had originally planned to have a sizable number of the set be X-Men and Fantastic 4 related, and had to scramble to fill in a suddenly unusable chunk of their set list?
Yeah, super unlikely. It's not like I work there or anything but I'd be shocked beyond belief if literal Step 1 wasn't "submit setlist to licensor for approval".

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

What If? Turned out to be a pretty bland set of standard dials and sculpt reuse, thankfully the stuff I want the most should be cheap to get. I expected Goblin King to be triple digits minimum too, I suppose having standard SR distribution but only 10 SRs is going to make him more common and therefore cheaper? I expected Peace Machine to garner more interest as well, he brings a lot to the table for his points.

I'm hoping the opposite is true for Elseworlds. They don't have the arbitrary character restrictions of Marvel, the stories result in the characters looking drastically different from their main universe counterparts, and there's an actual hyper popular team debuting (Planetary), so I need to sell off a ton of poo poo fast and get a case preordered.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
Preordered a case with the intent on giving away the extra commons and uncommons to friends and new players. Ended up having some hot pulls and it's got me stoked to try these pieces out. Ended up getting a full CUR as well as:

- Goblin King
- Peter the Hunter
- In-Betweener
- Cosmic Spidey
- The Advocate
- Gertrude and Old Lace
- Venom Hulk

Literally all the SRs I wanted (excluding Gertrude who's going to a friend who loves the Runaways) and a drat fine chase. I can't wait to give these guys a try!

Also Daredevil: Agent of Shield is so good for Shield teams, but that sculpt... That color scheme... Did a Shield quartermaster decide to play some cruel joke on poor Matt?

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

I just looked at the dials on HCR and man, you guys are right. As though it were a children's card game, this set is a load of bollocks.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I have perfect faith that Elseworlds will be good, if that helps.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

ManiacClown posted:

I just looked at the dials on HCR and man, you guys are right. As though it were a children's card game, this set is a load of bollocks.

I gave up completely after pulling nothing above a rare. Seems like chases and super rares are getting even rarer.

On the other hand, I bought a handful of GotGv2 packs at Target, and got the chase Yondu, one gold Ayesha, and two 'plain' Ayeshas.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Red posted:

On the other hand, I bought a handful of GotGv2 packs at Target, and got the chase Yondu, one gold Ayesha, and two 'plain' Ayeshas.

I found out last night that in the entire state of South Dakota, ONE Target got those. The company that stocks them didn't even order Wonder Woman. Maybe if there's no interest anymore WK will stop this mass market bullshit that only makes existing players pay an extra 50 cents a pack.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Our shop had a minor snafu where they didn't realize how limited the product was and sold two and a half of their four bricks before today, but we had just enough to run sealed with what was left. Overall it seems like a much more balanced set than ADW, a full point Cosmic Spidey curb stomped a Victorous and friends tent pole team but fell to two subsequent rounds of swarms, and the final match for first place came down to a Punisher Squad and Captain britain Iron man on their second to last clicks just whiffing each other perpetually.

There's a lot of diamonds in the rough in this set, it's unfortunate that there's so much rough. The sculpt reuse really kills people's desire to buy more too, nobody was particularly upset they were limited to two boosters after getting two or three of the same Daredevil and Punisher and Iron Man.

ManiacClown posted:

I found out last night that in the entire state of South Dakota, ONE Target got those. The company that stocks them didn't even order Wonder Woman. Maybe if there's no interest anymore WK will stop this mass market bullshit that only makes existing players pay an extra 50 cents a pack.

If they ditched the mass market format altogether and just rolled the double sets of rares and chases into the hobby displays they'd guarantee two display purchases from me, but the comic shop ones lose value so quickly I was able to get the entire C/R/Chase sets of Guardians 2 and Wonder Woman for less than $30 each.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
I'm heading off to Origins. If any 'Clix goons are going, I'll be the judge in the black hat and green dice necklace, running the side tournaments. Should be a fun year... between Deadpool Rules, Rumble, Power Outage, and Joker's Wild, we've got plenty of wacky events that should be a good time for all. And three of my friends are going for Worlds, so I'll get to live vicariously through them.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Good luck to them! This year was always going to be a no show for me. No con's until my daughter is over a year old was the deal I made my wife. I have no idea what's gonna be the dominant thing this year except maybe Jakeem and good old Nick and his level 7 card.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Morand posted:

Good luck to them! This year was always going to be a no show for me. No con's until my daughter is over a year old was the deal I made my wife. I have no idea what's gonna be the dominant thing this year except maybe Jakeem and good old Nick and his level 7 card.
I've seen Dr. Strange, Defender of Earth mentioned a lot in the build-up. Jakeem with an entity and Dr. Strange is where I'd put my money.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Morand posted:

Thanks! We've been putting in a lot of work over the past few months, fine-tuning teams and getting them ready. I think they've got a good shot, but time will tell.

As for what'll dominate, well, the Keychain Tank is going to be ubiquitous, but beyond that, it's tough to say. Bizarro Green Arrow seemed like he'd rule the roost, but the Tank really reduces his effectiveness. Jakeem is certainly going to make a showing, but I think the fact that everybody KNOWS he is going to make a showing will hinder him. Everybody worth their salt will have an anti-Jakeem strategy.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Overdrive on a lot of non-theme teams (or on theme teams, if someone is going with the LE Octopus gambit). He just adds so much mobility to pretty much any team.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Strange will definitely make a showing, the potential of a map-wide attack reroll once per turn by turn 3 on a figure as solid as he garuantees it. I imagine goblin king, ADW iron man, and rare nico will be present, and judging by his price jump from $18 to $50+ in the last month JW green lantern will show up quite a bit.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Oh man seeing all the Origins posts on facebook make me a sad sad panda.

Oh well. Since Sunday is father's day my wife is taking the munchkin swimming and I get to play in a game again.

The event is the dealmaker in which the build limit is 500 points but you can make a deal to go up to 25 points over the build, but double what you go over is subtracted from your points each round. Resources are allowed and after losing a game to a bullshit Phoenix Force'd Title Character deadpool a few weeks ago I am torn to going nice or hard cheese to show my venue that resources are stupid just loving ban them already.

The Nice team is X-Force #1

DXF Cable
DXF Feral
DXF Shatterstar
DXF Boom-Boom
DXF Cannonball
UXM Warpath
DP Copycat

It's 525 on the loving nose. It's perfect.

Going slightly cheesier (This is entirely dependent on the yondu I traded for coming in by Saturday which looks unlikely)

GOTG Movie 2 Yondu
GOTG 003 Mantis (Not the movie set)
GOTG 030 Star-Loard (Not the movie set)
GOTGM 1 013 Drax the Destroyer
GOTGM 2 018 Rocket Racoon
Full Power Plant - 30

I have an image in my head of making like 9 attacks with Yondu and a disintegration ring and melting all these goddamn resources into scrap.

And if it's full on cheese time? Then they get the Shredders with their very own Phoenix Force.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I similarly have a cheese team up my sleeve -- Dead Girl, Nick Fury, Jakeem Thunder with a possessor, FF Jean Grey, some other obnoxious bullshit I don't know. It's less a team and more a primal scream of STOP PLAYING THIS BULLSHIT.

On the topic of Origins, various pictures are coming out of Elseworlds stuff -- Planetary is confirmed, with Elijah Snow, Jakita Wagner, and the Drummer on the side of the booster packs, KC Aquaman is a SR, and colossal Wonder Woman has a ludicrously terrible paint job.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

I hate seeing meta overbuilt stuff at local venues. I used Jakeem for the first time a few weeks ago on a comic accurate JSA and he was fun mostly because I was using him for dumb poo poo like Empower and Leadership and Mind Control, but he still felt overpowered when I could choose Invincible/Shape Change on down turns and he became an untouchable boulder.

We usually ban resources but had a resources allowed game, I used OG Infinity Challenge Thanos with a Gauntlet, Death, Nebula, and Thanos Throne, and it was all goofy fun against a Caped Crusader Bat Belt and Masters of Evil Power Plant, but the third round our resident turtling try-hard decided to run three ADW Iron Men with the Phoenix Force. After one round of him just using Sidestep/TK to yo-yo his one full point Iron Man I folded because I hate his bullshit teams every week and I don't need to spend my one weekly time to totally relax being upset and frustrated. Apparently I need to go back to having d20 Faust/strange mystical teams that just snipe his poo poo from across the map every week, it got him to cut that poo poo out for a while last time.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Saw the Undead GF box at Origins here. There are zombies, vampires, demons, skeleton-warriors, werewolves, and for some reason, there's an Abraham Lincoln of some sort. Not sure if it's a 'vampire hunter' or 'zombie Lincoln.'

I just know they better reuse that sculpt for the Star Trek set.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Steve Vader posted:

Saw the Undead GF box at Origins here. There are zombies, vampires, demons, skeleton-warriors, werewolves, and for some reason, there's an Abraham Lincoln of some sort. Not sure if it's a 'vampire hunter' or 'zombie Lincoln.'

I just know they better reuse that sculpt for the Star Trek set.
Are there pictures? I'm desperately eager to see how it looks.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Not the best but here is a start.

Zombie, mad scientist (possibly Dr Jekyll?), skeleton knight, demon.

Werewolf (I think), Grim Reaper, Abe Lincoln, and I'm not sure about that last one. Possibly a zombie gangster, as I think it has a Tommy gun.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Looks like a Jakeem Team won Nationals.

JW053b - Jakeem Thunder [140]
^WkM-R001 - Supreme Intelligence[12]
JW066 - Bizarro Green Arrow [50]
WkD-027 - Felix Faust [80]
WKMP17-007 - Pym Pocket Tank [8]
NFAOSNFID-007 - S.H.I.E.L.D. Level 7 [5]
^NFAOS056 Nick Fury
WKMVID-009 - Spider-Man [5]
^WI038r Cosmic Spider-Man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Well, I didn't see Supreme Intelligence coming.

• Locked thread