Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Reproduction carts are probably the cheap ones.

Probably a few of the not-cheap ones too; the cheap ones are just more honest with you about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ah, that makes sense, thanks. I'll have to test it out to make sure it still works before selling it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Anyone have a clue about a soccer games on the SNES where you were able to change the colour of the ball? I can't find anything on this as it's too generic of a search.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

I have an old cart of Earthbound that I was thinking of selling, what's the deal with some being listed on eBay for like $30 but others going for like $100-200?

We've reached a point where the SNES market has nearly dried up. Auctions are getting rare and everyone doing BIN are usually owners of an established store. So now repros are entering the market and they're at the top of every search list. It's pretty sad.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

IcePhoenix posted:

I have an old cart of Earthbound that I was thinking of selling, what's the deal with some being listed on eBay for like $30 but others going for like $100-200?

Dunno. $30 sounds like the cost of a case to me.

Earthbound loose carts are easily worth $150 on ebay these days.

Its the last major SNES game I'd like to own on cart that I don't have. :sigh: At least I got Mega Man X3 before prices on that one got stupid.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
$30 Earthbounds on eBay are reproductions or completely broken carts where the interior board was ruined by some sort of acid or other spill.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Won't Earthbound repro's end up falling victim to the original game's weird DRM to stop bootleg cartridges?

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

al-azad posted:

We've reached a point where the SNES market has nearly dried up. Auctions are getting rare and everyone doing BIN are usually owners of an established store. So now repros are entering the market and they're at the top of every search list. It's pretty sad.

I think this means that the retro bubble is going to burst sooner than later, at least for the SNES. The bubble has been going on for about ten years now, so any nostalgia fueled buying of SNES games is just not there anymore. People with disposable income now have grown up with later consoles. The same thing happened with Atari 2600 games in the early 2000s. The 2600 market got flooded with repos at the tail end of its bubble.

Joe Chill fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 7, 2017

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Joe Chill posted:

I think this means that the retro bubble is going to burst sooner than later, at least for the SNES. The bubble has been going on for about ten years now, so any nostalgia fueled buying of SNES games is just not there anymore. People with disposable income now have grown up with later consoles. The same thing happened with Atari 2600 games in the early 2000s.

it's already to the point where it was literally cheaper for me to import a japanese copy of super mario kart and ship it across the ocean that it was to buy a US cartridge.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

That makes me sad. I was hoping to someday get a SD2SNES and make up for the incompatibles by buying cartridges once I was financially stable enough to justify it. I decided on this plan years ago but the stability never happened :smith:

At least I already own SMRPG and Yoshi's Island?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Instant Sunrise posted:

Won't Earthbound repro's end up falling victim to the original game's weird DRM to stop bootleg cartridges?

While this has been cracked a long time ago, I wouldn't trust a pirate cart for absolute quality and accuracy. They just downloaded whatever ROM they found, burned it to a chip, stuck it in a case, and shipped it.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

That makes me sad. I was hoping to someday get a SD2SNES and make up for the incompatibles by buying cartridges once I was financially stable enough to justify it. I decided on this plan years ago but the stability never happened :smith:

You've already got what's probably the most expensive game that can't be played on a flash cart (SMRPG), I got Star Fox for around $20 at my local store, and you can probably find it for around that price if you look around.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Instant Sunrise posted:

There's been patches for the ROM to remove the DRM for years, I'd be surprised if the repro cart makers aren't using it. Prepatched ROMs are widely available as you used to need them to play Earthbound in an emulator.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Joe Chill posted:

I think this means that the retro bubble is going to burst sooner than later, at least for the SNES. The bubble has been going on for about ten years now, so any nostalgia fueled buying of SNES games is just not there anymore. People with disposable income now have grown up with later consoles. The same thing happened with Atari 2600 games in the early 2000s. The 2600 market got flooded with repos at the tail end of its bubble.

Supply is only ever going down. There could be a bubble but with a limited supply of goods which have general demand, I could see things remaining stable or even getting worse and worse.

Mak0rz posted:

Its not the worst thing in the world that super famicom games are dirt cheap for the most part. Super easy to mod a US SNES to accept the carts, so the only problem is games that have heavy text and need translation.

Luckily I own all the incompatible games that I'd want to play, so at this point I should really just get a Super Everdrive and call it a day. But i'll probably pick up some more carts here and there if I find good deals.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Instant Sunrise posted:

If you make the repro right, which isn't hard but could easily be the kind of thing a cheap pirate cart maker takes stupid shortcuts with, the DRM isn't an issue because it's designed to trip up those old floppy disk-based copiers where the "save" slot is larger to account for multiple games. The DRM is triggered if your storage space for saves is greater than 8kb (if my memory is correct), but if you're making the cart just for Earthbound and just put in the standard 8kb save you're fine.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Instant Sunrise posted:

You've already got what's probably the most expensive game that can't be played on a flash cart (SMRPG), I got Star Fox for around $20 at my local store, and you can probably find it for around that price if you look around.

Actually I thought CX4 and DSP games were on the list too, but turns out they're not. After looking at the incompatibility list the only games on there I'd actually want are Star Fox and Kirby Super Star. Nice :dance:

Out of curiosity I Googled to see if it was possible to make Star Fox 2 reproductions, and apparently it is. That person used Stunt Race FX for the hardware, which I don't quite understand because I figured it would require the Super FX2 in Doom or Yoshi's Island.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mak0rz posted:

Actually I thought CX4 and DSP games were on the list too, but turns out they're not. After looking at the incompatibility list the only games on there I'd actually want are Star Fox and Kirby Super Star. Nice :dance:

Out of curiosity I Googled to see if it was possible to make Star Fox 2 reproductions, and apparently it is. That person used Stunt Race FX for the hardware, which I don't quite understand because I figured it would require the Super FX2 in Doom or Yoshi's Island.

The difference between SuperFX and SuperFX 2 is simply higher clock speed, and more pins are connected to allow for more memory transfer. The actual core is the same.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

fishmech posted:

The difference between SuperFX and SuperFX 2 is simply higher clock speed, and more pins are connected to allow for more memory transfer. The actual core is the same.

I know, but wouldn't Star Fox 2 be slow as poo poo to near unplayable levels with the SFX1? The games like Stunt Race FX were kind of a bitch to actually play because of it.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

Zaphod42 posted:

Supply is only ever going down. There could be a bubble but with a limited supply of goods which have general demand, I could see things remaining stable or even getting worse and worse.

No, not if you compare Atari 2600 games prices in the 90s and early 2000s. The situation is more complex than a supply and demand graph. The SNES games are not selling anymore and this is being compacted by having the market flooded with cheaper repos.

As for prices going up, ask vendors who can't sell their ten plus copies of Earthbound, which they couldn't keep on their store shelfs a few years ago, if the're are going to increase the game's price?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Mak0rz posted:

I know, but wouldn't Star Fox 2 be slow as poo poo to near unplayable levels with the SFX1? The games like Stunt Race FX were kind of a bitch to actually play because of it.
There's someone out there who tested various SFX games across different SFX chips and speeds (you can even overclock them by installing faster crystals) and it kinda doesn't make a huge difference. The entire game speeds up, so it's not like you're getting more FPS or fluid motion. The whole thing just runs faster.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mak0rz posted:

Most revisions of the plain SuperFX chip can be forced to the higher clock speed used in SuperFX2. So long as Star Fox 2 didn't really need the access to more RAM and ROM the extra traces gave, it would run fine on a modified SuperFX1 at the SuperFX2 speed.

Only the earliest revision of the SuperFX chip can't be upclocked, the ones in the early print runs of Star Fox 1.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Mak0rz posted:

As far as I know, all versions of the SuperFX/SuperFX2 chips run at the same 21mhz speed, the only difference is the max ROM size they support. Starfox 1 boards have an additional clock divider that halves this speed to 10.5mhz, which is why those boards can't be used for any other SuperFX repro.

Here's some game footage of a Starfox 2 repro I built from a Stunt Race FX board: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NSsgHSBYRA

I also replaced the crystal in my Starfox 1 cart with a 30mhz chip (divided to 15mhz) and it does run a lot closer to 30fps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ6pWTe-Sd8

Monitor Burn fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 8, 2017

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

Star Fox 2 is one of the main reasons I've been wanting to buy myself a ROM burner. Or appropriate the ROM burner from the lab. :v:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Monitor Burn posted:

Here's some game footage of a Starfox 2 repro I built from a Stunt Race FX board: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NSsgHSBYRA

Using the stock clock speed I assume? That's cool as hell.

Maybe I'll eventually get a SFX game I don't want too and see if I can have one made. I assume buying a repro outright is a bit pricey? My girlfriend no longer has access to her old electrical engineering lab and equipment so maybe I'll have to settle on buying one if I want it :argh:

Edit:

Monitor Burn posted:

I also replaced the crystal in my Starfox 1 cart with a 30mhz chip (divided to 15mhz) and it does run a lot closer to 30fps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ6pWTe-Sd8

This rules :allears:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 8, 2017

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Well, I tried to get PS2 games running on my PC today using PCSX2. I got it to load and everything but once the game gets going it chugs really bad. I looked of the emulator's forums and a guy who has a similar build to be (Intel Core i5, Nividia GTX 970) was told to overclock their CPU because it needs to be over 4 Gz. Kind of gave up there for now. I did find my old PS2 so maybe I'll just hook that up.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Zaphod42 posted:

Dunno. $30 sounds like the cost of a case to me.

Earthbound loose carts are easily worth $150 on ebay these days.

Its the last major SNES game I'd like to own on cart that I don't have. :sigh: At least I got Mega Man X3 before prices on that one got stupid.

Awesome, guess I'll have to find a local store that can test it so I know it still works.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

BigRed0427 posted:

Well, I tried to get PS2 games running on my PC today using PCSX2. I got it to load and everything but once the game gets going it chugs really bad. I looked of the emulator's forums and a guy who has a similar build to be (Intel Core i5, Nividia GTX 970) was told to overclock their CPU because it needs to be over 4 Gz. Kind of gave up there for now. I did find my old PS2 so maybe I'll just hook that up.

Which ones? A few games I tried on PCSX2 recently ran at full speed (except for a couple of scenes) on my laptop with an i5-4200 at 2.5GHz and a GT 730M. I only doubled the resolution and didn't use any of the fancy enhancements though.

Disclaimer: I only played completely trough Kingdom Hearts on it so far, which is probably not a very demanding game.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

What game? A few games I tried on PCSX2 recently ran at full speed (except for a couple of scenes) on my laptop with an i5-4200 at 2.5GHz and a GT 730M. I only doubled the resolution and didn't use any of the fancy enhancements though.

Oh I was trying to run Kingdom hearts 1. I did realize afterwars I had a lot of background poo poo running. Stuff like Battle.net, Steam, Origin. Mabey I'll try again later.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

BigRed0427 posted:

I emulated PCSX2 with a 3.2 GHz something or other and a far worse video card just fine. Play with the GSDx settings such as your Renderer, internal resolution, filtering, etc. Some games can run worse though (I'm not sure anyone ever got Shadow of the Colossus to be perfect) so maybe try one or two other ISOs if you can just to be sure. The multi-core MTVU setting also helps a lot.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Monitor Burn posted:

As far as I know, all versions of the SuperFX/SuperFX2 chips run at the same 21mhz speed, the only difference is the max ROM size they support. Starfox 1 boards have an additional clock divider that halves this speed to 10.5mhz, which is why those boards can't be used for any other SuperFX repro.

No, all SuperFX chips have a 21 MHz clock crystal, but all SuperFX chips divide that down to about 10.5 MHz and run at that speed. The earlier Star Fox chips accomplish this through a clock divider in the chip that can't be removed, later revisions of the chip move the divider elsewhere, which allows an enterprising hardware modder to remove the clock speed limitation and run it at the full 21 MHz.

All SuperFX2 chips are run at the full 21 MHz.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

BigRed0427 posted:

Oh I was trying to run Kingdom hearts 1. I did realize afterwars I had a lot of background poo poo running. Stuff like Battle.net, Steam, Origin. Mabey I'll try again later.

I just used the Balanced preset and left it as-is. Here's my graphics plugin configuration:

It ran just fine without any slowdowns or bugs except for a couple of scenes where the kids are talking on the island and the sun is setting over the ocean horizon. That dropped framerate a little and everyone sounded drunk, which is pretty funny.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Mak0rz posted:

Using the stock clock speed I assume? That's cool as hell.

Maybe I'll eventually get a SFX game I don't want too and see if I can have one made. I assume buying a repro outright is a bit pricey? My girlfriend no longer has access to her old electrical engineering lab and equipment so maybe I'll have to settle on buying one if I want it :argh:

Yeah Starfox 2 is just a rom swap, it works at the stock speed of the SFX game. There's only a few games that support the required ROM size and have sufficient RAM though. Other than Stunt Race FX/Wild Trax, there's Yoshi's Island, Doom, and Dirt Trax FX. Doom lacks the battery save for the high score function in SF2 though.

Also there's an adapter board available to provide a much cleaner install:
https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/8q5YlfcR

I just picked up a TOP3000 burner, so I'll probably start selling Starfox 2 and other repros again soon.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

I just used the Balanced preset and left it as-is. Here's my graphics plugin configuration:

It ran just fine without any slowdowns or bugs except for a couple of scenes where the kids are talking on the island and the sun is setting over the ocean horizon. That dropped framerate a little and everyone sounded drunk, which is pretty funny.

I guess I just gotta mess with the settings more. I just installed it today and took a bit figuring out how to get a memory card working on it.

Edit: Ok, Got Kingdom Hearts running. I'm still in the tutorial area but other than the opening Pre-rendered cutscene the game is running fine. But holy hell these controls. When the hell did we figure out to put the camera on the right stick and not the trigger buttons?

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 8, 2017

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

So for GBA flash carts, I assume it's Everdrive or bust? Because the other ones seem okay but... I'd rather something that'd work for whatever with RTC more likely. Assuming RTC even affects more than just Pokemon.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Can anyone post directions on overclocking star fox? I'd totally do that to mine. Anyone know if similar stuff is doable for Genesis virtua racing?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Anyone know if similar stuff is doable for Genesis virtua racing?

Yeah, you buy the 32x version.

Honestly, I think Virtua Racing SVP works ok enough anyway because the draw distance and general simplicity means it's a playable framerate most of the time unlike Star Fox.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

widespread posted:

So for GBA flash carts, I assume it's Everdrive or bust? Because the other ones seem okay but... I'd rather something that'd work for whatever with RTC more likely. Assuming RTC even affects more than just Pokemon.

RTC is mostly Pokemon and uh, Boktai I think?

Everdrive is honestly the top of the heap for features, but a EZFlash IV can be had for half the cost or less. You'll just miss out on RTC but you can generally find RTC hacks for ROMs.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

RTC is mostly Pokemon and uh, Boktai I think?

Everdrive is honestly the top of the heap for features, but a EZFlash IV can be had for half the cost or less. You'll just miss out on RTC but you can generally find RTC hacks for ROMs.

Oh. Well in that case I'll just grab an EZFlash then. Thanks for the heads up!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

Edit: Ok, Got Kingdom Hearts running. I'm still in the tutorial area but other than the opening Pre-rendered cutscene the game is running fine. But holy hell these controls. When the hell did we figure out to put the camera on the right stick and not the trigger buttons?

Depending upon the developer, anywhere from mid PS2/Xbox era to "still haven't figured this out yet on ps4"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Kingdom Hearts 2 was where that series specifically fixed it, iirc.

Trying to play the DS KH game was torture, though.

• Locked thread