Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Stop trolling. Everyone knows Robocop, Aliens, Predator, the Road Warrior, T2, Friday the 13th 2-8, and Total Recall were the best kids movies ever made.
You huge soft pink bitch rear end doily teacup rear end delicate sensibility fainting couch rear end dork.

I remember seeing Total Recall at a loving scout camp, I think I was 10. One of the ventures or what ever had brought it in, just came out on VHS and everyone crowded around a little TV and watched it. Quatto scared the poo poo out of me but gently caress it was good. Kids need that poo poo to develop properly or they turn into fainting couch rear end dorks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
I watched 2-3 horror movies per week from like 10-16 and I think I turned out okay (lol no i didn't but the movies had nothing to with it)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Stop trolling. Everyone knows Robocop, Aliens, Predator, the Road Warrior, T2, Friday the 13th 2-8, and Total Recall were the best kids movies ever made.

You huge soft pink bitch rear end doily teacup rear end delicate sensibility fainting couch rear end dork.

Like maybe Aliens. T2 is fine. I doubt you could get a kid to actually watch The Road Warrior.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

Like maybe Aliens. T2 is fine. I doubt you could get a kid to actually watch The Road Warrior.

How young we talking here?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
u can judge the quality of a kids cartoon based on wether or not theyre shooting real bullets or lasers.

i wonder why kids think playing with dads gun will just give them a lil 'owie' burn mark... probaly need to dumb this down a bit further so the guns shoot bubbles, thatll teach safety

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

HoAssHo posted:

How young we talking here?

Well we're talking rated R movies with kids toys, so that's like <12 unless the kid's a spaz.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
I watched Total Recall at a church sleepover when I was 10.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

a bone to pick posted:

I'm sorry but I gotta stick by it, the only way the movie would be perfect is if he blew his own head off at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_26siT7GDXo
The final 8 mins are great too when Frank just goes scorched earth on these assholes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04hidvKLHI0
Also the fight with the Johnny Cash guy was great

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I just got back from Wonder Woman.

It was like way better than cranks on the internet seem to be saying? Everybody keeps talking about how the ending is horrible horseshit but it just seemed fine to me. Not great, certainly not the best part of the movie but it tied up the plot fine and was just kind of what you'd expect in a CGI ridden action blockbuster. Like when I think of insulting, terrible endings something like Star Trek: Into Darkness springs to mind, this was fine.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

khwarezm posted:

It was like way better than cranks on the internet seem to be saying? Everybody keeps talking about how the ending is horrible horseshit but it just seemed fine to me. Not great, certainly not the best part of the movie but it tied up the plot fine and was just kind of what you'd expect in a CGI ridden action blockbuster. Like when I think of insulting, terrible endings something like Star Trek: Into Darkness springs to mind, this was fine.
I think for guys like RLM they tend to be more negative since they watch every superhero movie every year and end up getting really cynical on how they are all the same and blah.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

achillesforever6 posted:

I think for guys like RLM they tend to be more negative since they watch every superhero movie every year and end up getting really cynical on how they are all the same and blah.

Well, I know what to expect with RLM but reading in this thread, CineD and Reddit made me expect the film would be significantly worse than I actually thought it was. It was fun, but not so light, like some Marvel stuff, that there's no gravitas when called for, while conversely avoiding Snyder's misery. The two main characters play off each other great, the supporting characters are a lot of fun (the sniper and the conman just worked well, they got little scenes to shine like the Sniper playing piano or the conman convincing a German guard to let them into a castle, I was thinking that was exactly the kind of stuff that Rogue One fell down horribly on), the action was often thrilling, especially when WW tears up poo poo in No Man's Land. The cinematography was mostly great.

The two initial villains were pretty weak, and I thought it was Dumb to use a real life German General for no good reason there, its not like any other real historical figures play a role here, but the Ares reveal was better than I thought it would be, I liked the idea that he wasn't really controlling events so much as helping people bring their intrinsic violence and hatred to the surface and taking a backseat from there, all the while mocking WW's belief that she could just kill the final boss and permanent peace would reign while having an intense disgust for human nature that was difficult to deny given the circumstances of the war.

I Dunno, maybe it wouldn't hold up as well on repeat viewing but I really liked it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

PostNouveau posted:

I watched The Road Warrior when I was like 12 and it was the greatest loving thing I'd ever seen in my life. At that age I also watched T2, They Live, Dawn of the Dead, the entire Child's Play franchise, the entire Nightmare on Elm Street Franchise and Videodrome.

I thought Videodrome was boring as poo poo at the time and yet I still considered it a good movie, I just forgot most of it by the time I rewatched it years later.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I liked the moustache.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

A Knight's Tale is on BBC America right now and I don't know what's going on with this movie. It started out with We Will Rock you and now Lowrider is playing while people train with wooden swords. Is this supposed to be a comedy? What the gently caress am I watching?

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I watched The Good, The Bad and The Ugly in the 6th grade and I thought it was the best movie ever.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

DoctorStrangelove posted:

I watched The Good, The Bad and The Ugly in the 6th grade and I thought it was the best movie ever.

It is

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Yeah still one of my favorites.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Once Upon A Time In The West is pretty danged OK but also terrible by comparison.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
*comes into thread that only exists because films ain't like they were when we were babies*

"Don't watch good films if you are a baby!"

*thread erupts in anger*

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

HoAssHo posted:

A Knight's Tale is on BBC America right now and I don't know what's going on with this movie. It started out with We Will Rock you and now Lowrider is playing while people train with wooden swords. Is this supposed to be a comedy? What the gently caress am I watching?

It is delightfully anachronistic. Just roll with it, it's a very fun movie.

And yes, it's a comedy, arguably a romantic comedy even.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Rick Evans range as an actor, is truly something to behold

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

reignofevil posted:

*comes into thread that only exists because films ain't like they were when we were babies*

"Don't watch good films if you are a baby!"

*thread erupts in anger*

Thanks misterbibs

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

khwarezm posted:

It's a good flick. It's only crap for those last 5 minutes or so.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
The new Spider-Man is mostly a bored Robert Downey Jr and a fat kid and it looks terrible.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

HoAssHo posted:

There was also a cowboy movie with like Limp Bizkit songs a year later. Apparently someone in Hollywood got it in their head that period films with rap rock soundtracks were the next big thing. That trend died quickly.

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Still my 2nd favorite, after Seven Samurai.

Sand Dan
May 15, 2017

welcum 2 our
sick cyberpunk h e l l
I watched Twin Peaks with my dad when I was a kid when it first aired. Now that's good parenting! I had completely blocked it out of my memory until I rewatched it as an adult, and every episode felt like I was having an aneurysm as I was remembering things in vivid detail as they were unfolding before me. It was actually quite a cool experience.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Sand Dan posted:

I watched Twin Peaks with my dad when I was a kid when it first aired. Now that's good parenting! I had completely blocked it out of my memory until I rewatched it as an adult, and every episode felt like I was having an aneurysm as I was remembering things in vivid detail as they were unfolding before me. It was actually quite a cool experience.

*Foam explodes from a young sand Dan's mouth*

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

Once Upon A Time In The West is pretty danged OK but also terrible by comparison.
WRONG

OUATITW > TGTBATU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Hemingway To Go! posted:

kids should watch all kinds of violent poo poo and be taught what the difference between fiction and reality is and to think critically about it imo

Space Taxi
Oct 31, 2016

reignofevil posted:

The new Spider-Man is mostly a bored Robert Downey Jr and a fat kid and it looks terrible.

Don't talk about Jay and Rich like that.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

My favorite Clint Eastwood Western is actually the Outlaw Josey Wales, meanwhile my favorite movie with Ennio as a composer is The Mission

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
When i was a little kid, i watched Ghostbusters, Aliens, the Indiana Jones trilogy, and more on VHS a lot. I remember watching Robocop on television and while they censored the swearing ("Once I even called him...airhead"), they still showed a lot of violence and it was pretty clear that Murphy got his loving hand blown off and was all hosed up. This was all well before I was 10 years old. I also watched weird kids movies like Return to Oz, which was like my favorite movie as a kid.

I think mainstream movies are definitely more sanitized nowadays. Studios try to market to as many people as possible so they try not to offend anyone and make it so that everyone can come to their movie.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
My friend takes his 9 year old daughter to pretty much every R rated movie and her favorite show is the Walking Dead.

She's the coolest kid ever.

Against my sister's wishes whenever I had my niece and nephew over we always watched all the awesome 80's movies mentioned above. They're great kids.

Feel sorry for all the little Mike Pences being raised out here by lovely helicopter parents.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Go watch John Wick 2 and tell me movies are "sanitized" lmao

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Schweinhund posted:

WRONG

OUATITW > TGTBATU

Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad.

Henry Fonda was great, though.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

WampaLord posted:

How many sideways vampire vaginas were there in John wick 2.

I'm doing.... research.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

WampaLord posted:

That's an extreme exception.

If you want to know how utterly dickless Hollywood is, consider that there are 2 Die Hard movies rated PG-13, and stuff as tame as The Matrix gets an R.

Basically PG-13 is a teeny-tiny grey area between PG and R, and R is this massive end of the spectrum that goes from a lesbian kiss all the way to a parade of dicks being severed by wheat threshers.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

WampaLord posted:

It is delightfully anachronistic. Just roll with it, it's a very fun movie.

And yes, it's a comedy, arguably a romantic comedy even.

The music specifically, would be anachronistic no matter what, it's not like they had orchestras back then.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

from a lesbian kiss all the way to a parade of dicks being severed by wheat threshers.

I'd watch that movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

That's an extreme exception.

If you want to know how utterly dickless Hollywood is, consider that there are 2 Die Hard movies rated PG-13, and stuff as tame as The Matrix gets an R.

On the other hand, there's also Deadpool and Logan and Mad Max Fury Road and tons of movies with loads and loads of violence. There's just as much as there used to be, you're just used to it now.

• Locked thread