Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Thermos H Christ posted:

If Jimi Hendrix was still alive, there's about an 85% chance he would have made an appearance in a Super Bowl halftime show by now. Black Eyed Peas all flailing around and sucking, but then what's this? A surprise appearance from famous guitar solo guy Jimi Hendrix, here to drop like 30 seconds of sweet, possibly pre-recorded, licks!

Plot twist: that timeline is the less depressing one than the one where he died without having melted our faces further, aka this timeline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i think he more likely would've wound up like sly stone

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

He'd be in an mtv icon show where brokencyde and creed cover all along the watchtower. It would still be better regarded than the metallica one.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis posted:

I kinda like it tbh but I'm an idiot

:eyepop:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Speaking of Santana, didn't he do a record some time back where he got back together with most of his original group? Was it any good?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Allen Wren posted:

Speaking of Santana, didn't he do a record some time back where he got back together with most of his original group? Was it any good?

Yea, it was a hot one. Like seven inches from the mid-day sun.

edit: hah Franco are you sipping scotch and shredding? :black101:

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jun 7, 2017

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
It was just a regular beer in a fancy glass.

I played through most of the songs I like playing and some I completely forgot. Once I get the sync issues nailed down I'm going to just do improv to a randomized drum loop going through metal beats.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
He would have aged in grace and dignity and that's all there is to it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Flip Yr Wig posted:

He would have aged in grace and dignity and that's all there is to it.

dude let a crazy lady make a cast of his penis. let's not pretend he was a great decision maker.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

cis autodrag posted:

dude let a crazy lady make a cast of his penis. let's not pretend he was a great decision maker.

Wait so why isn't the wangcaster a scaled up version of an anatomically correct copy of Jimi Hendrix's penis?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

megalodong posted:

He'd be in an mtv icon show where brokencyde and creed cover all along the watchtower. It would still be better regarded than the metallica one.

drat i just looked this up. Sum 41 I can understand; they're huge metal fans, but Snoop Dogg and Avril Lavigne were a surprise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8244qBdrTnU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

well why not posted:

drat i just looked this up. Sum 41 I can understand; they're huge metal fans, but Snoop Dogg and Avril Lavigne were a surprise:

remember when sum 41 played with rob halford and it was awesome? i love sum 41 and i don't care who knows.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

well why not posted:

This was the weirdest thing at the time. Amazingly The Cure one wasn't too bad; Blink 182, AFI, Deftones and Razorlight. Was probably the start of Blink's transition into the Nightmare Before Xmas aesthetic actually.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Sum 41 are fine IMO. If I had to poo poo on one early 2000s pop-punk skater band it wouldn't be the one where they can actually play their instruments well and wrote some nice, if derivative tunes.

Proclick is watching the adverts in that youtube, definitely from an era gone by.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

cis autodrag posted:

remember when sum 41 played with rob halford and it was awesome? i love sum 41 and i don't care who knows.

I liked them and my wife LOVED them until we saw them live a few weeks ago.
Now meh.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Remulak posted:

I liked them and my wife LOVED them until we saw them live a few weeks ago.
Now meh.

eh, some artists are better live and some are better recorded. i try not to let the differences affect my opinions too much. i'll only hold a bad live show against pop stars whose only job is to do cool dances and sing good.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

cis autodrag posted:

If that isn't part of aging gracefully than I wish I had choked on my vomit too.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

cis autodrag posted:

How is immortalizing your dick not the greatest decision ever? But immortalizing terrible music like "Smooth" is?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

cis autodrag posted:

This seems like an incredibly cool idea though?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i do not understand the male brain at all apparently. there's nothing so special about a dick that it needs to be immortalized no matter who you are.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It's not a "man" thing. A female artist did it with a bunch of famous rockstar dicks as art. This is the weirdest thing I've ever had to defend and is so appropriate for the thread.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It's one of the earliest music video memories I have. I remember my dad showing it to me and saying "you see how smooth Santana plays? This is good music" and somehow that stuck in my heart and soul.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

I have zero problems with Jimi Hendrix getting a cast of his wang made. Say what you want, that guy had a dick, man.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The entire story is pretty loving great honestly

http://www.mtv.com/news/1122292/legendary-rock-groupie-displays-plaster-caster-collection/

Jimi owns. I can't believe I've gone through multiple periods where I decided he wasn't good and x shredlord was definitely so much better.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

The entire story is pretty loving great honestly

http://www.mtv.com/news/1122292/legendary-rock-groupie-displays-plaster-caster-collection/

Jimi owns. I can't believe I've gone through multiple periods where I decided he wasn't good and x shredlord was definitely so much better.

We all have stages when we think shredding is the be all end all, but if there was a person an electric guitar was made for, it was Jimi.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I always really love the story about The Beatles hearing him live and freaking the hell out about good he was.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Kilometers Davis posted:

It's not a "man" thing. A female artist did it with a bunch of famous rockstar dicks as art. This is the weirdest thing I've ever had to defend and is so appropriate for the thread.

i know. i think she's crazy and everyone involved is a little off.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

I always really love the story about The Beatles hearing him live and freaking the hell out about good he was.

I'm partial to the story of him jamming with Cream and making Clapton retreat backstage and have a nervous breakdown.

Or the story about him having a cutting contest with a guy who shredded hardcore for ten minutes, then going on the stage and winning the contest by playing a single note.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Jimi Hendrix is one of those weird musicians where I can barely listen to anything he himself did, everything he personally recorded just sounds dull and boring to me, but without fail every time I hear someone else play Jimi's music I instantly wonder what unparalleled creative genius mind it came from.

I think the difference is that whatever studio Jimi recorded from made all of his music sound like hot garbage. His guitar tone always sounded dull, muffled, and lovely, it was always sitting in a dull, muffled, lovely sounding mix.

Then you hear some other guitar player and his amp sitting right in front of you playing the exact same Jimi stuff but with enough definition and clarity from the equipment that you can actually hear everything going on with all of the chording and melodic complexities and it just blows your mind.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

Jimi Hendrix is one of those weird musicians where I can barely listen to anything he himself did, everything he personally recorded just sounds dull and boring to me, but without fail every time I hear someone else play Jimi's music I instantly wonder what unparalleled creative genius mind it came from.

I think the difference is that whatever studio Jimi recorded from made all of his music sound like hot garbage. His guitar tone always sounded dull, muffled, and lovely, it was always sitting in a dull, muffled, lovely sounding mix.

Then you hear some other guitar player and his amp sitting right in front of you playing the exact same Jimi stuff but with enough definition and clarity from the equipment that you can actually hear everything going on with all of the chording and melodic complexities and it just blows your mind.

I think it's a function of two things: when Hendrix did his stuff, guitar tones were not developed to the level they were even ten years later; and all those mixes you hear? it's just drums, bass, and him. No second guitar. That's loving mindblowing.

By all appearances, he was even better live, though. Just listen to this poo poo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaIXYt541XA

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

cis autodrag posted:

i do not understand the male brain at all apparently. there's nothing so special about a dick that it needs to be immortalized no matter who you are.

I would love to have my dick immortalized in stone, turgid for the rest of time. Look on ye mighty, and despair.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

dex_sda posted:

I think it's a function of two things: when Hendrix did his stuff, guitar tones were not developed to the level they were even ten years later; and all those mixes you hear? it's just drums, bass, and him. No second guitar. That's loving mindblowing.

By all appearances, he was even better live, though. Just listen to this poo poo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaIXYt541XA

ya, my feeling has always been that his greatest talent was that he brought all that raw power and creativity to his live performances and there was just an intensity and magic to them you don't get from most shows.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

GreatGreen posted:

:wtc:

Spanish Manlove posted:

I would love to have my dick immortalized in stone, turgid for the rest of time. Look on ye mighty, and despair.

Same

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Spanish Manlove posted:

Shelley would be proud.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Kilometers Davis posted:

I like this post.

Also this was one of the funnier music things I've seen recently.

Oh god Wu Tang what the hell happened you were so great, RZA how could you let this happen holy fuckin haaaaaaahaahahaaa

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

You honestly think Jimi Hendrix records sound good from a production standpoint?

I'm not even saying it was the band's fault or even the producer's. It was pretty much just the state of recording and musical tech at the time plus a general lack of known production best practices. Again, nobody is saying Jimi wasn't a genius. He very much was, but that doesn't magically make his records sound like they weren't recorded with a 90s PC desktop mic.

And because of this, when I actually do hear a quality rendition of his music being played live by a talented musician I can hear clearly, it absolutely blows my mind. That's all I'm saying.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Found the Joe Bonamossa fan

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
dunno what you're smoking, by the standards of the time hendrix's albums sound pretty good

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hendrix didn't even know about Dumbles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yeah I don't know what to say GreatGreen. Hendrix albums sound insanely good. I guess if you want a Bonamassa album or a Periphery album carefully crafted and flawlessly edited in the studio then it won't be for you but yeah. Are You Experienced? sounds incredible even with all it's odd quirks and chaotic recording history.

• Locked thread