Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Poor gal. Everyone knows renting a cat is a waste of money.

I like how she knows her answer before she even asks, though.

Higgy fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
BWM: rent-to-own cats

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 25 minutes!

Barry posted:

Remember when we started this new thread, all young and full of life, with the expectation that it would be a BWM only posting utopia? Moderation would be judicious, people wouldn't be dumbasses, life would be good. I miss those days.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6ftcgb/36_on_my_own_finally_not_sure_how_to_fix_my_own/

OP bought a car that was 100%+ of their annual income.

:shepspends:

Her post history also indicates that:

- She paid for nutritional advice and was convinced that she was only eating 900-1,000 calories a day, but she was gaining weight (she was 5 foot 4 and 250 pounds, but even the skinniest person is not going to gain weight on 900 calories. Also, it is not a good idea to only eat 900 calories.)
- She was asking reddit for career advice on how to break into the anime/manga writing industry as a 35-year old woman with no experience, but a lot of exposure to the product.
- Doesn't want to move back with her mom, because she is an atheist and her mom is religious.
- 70k in student loan debt, with no degree, for a private art school for video game graphic design
- Uses Uber Eats for food because going to the grocery store gives her too much anxiety.
- Doesn't like the idea of using medication or therapy for mental illness.
- Says she "needs" cable and a landline + cellphone.

I think she needs to get her mental health issues sorted and stop trying to argue atheism with her mom first and then worry about the rest. It would be bad if she was 25, but 36 is really late to deal with all this stuff.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6fsb9b/dad_has_almost_a_quarter_million_in_stocks_is/

quote:

My dad ran a succesful business and sold it when he was 40. The past few years he's been investing his money in a brokers account, mainly because he wanted his money to make himself money, and because he enjoyed following the markets and reading about markets.
However as of now he has invested around € 220.000 in original value and has - as of today - a value of € 155.000 remaining. I thought he was doing fine because he told me he sold stocks that were making him a profit and kept the ones that were doing bad, but almost his whole investment portfolio is in the red. I've attached a picture so that you can see what he is holding.
I would really love some advice here because it hurts me to see the money he worked so hard for disappearing. He doesn't really seem super stressed right now (he has a couple of RE properties and a private bank investment) which is nice I guess.
http://i.imgur.com/GuzVsYd.png
Columns (from left to right): Equity - amount of stocks - current price of stock - Current value ( price x amount) - buy-in price - buy-in value (price x amount) - net gains - procentual gains

Guy loses $85,000 in a bull market. Shorts the S&P 500 with 2x leverage. lol

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I love how people trot out "but it's my dream car!!" to use as an excuse to buy some $25k Miata convertible or whatever. Aim a little higher, people.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation

Shorted the S&P 500 and the rest of his individual stocks are all in gold/silver/mining.

His dad is probably subscribed to Infowars and the Ron Paul Newsletter.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Barry posted:

I love how people trot out "but it's my dream car!!" to use as an excuse to buy some $25k Miata convertible or whatever. Aim a little higher, people.

Is there ever honestly a situation where it doesn't make more sense for someone trying to get a handle on spending and really, really has their heart set on keeping some sports car isn't better off selling it, and buying the same model year used if/when their finances stabilize? It's almost never some rare or collectible car, just let someone else eat the depreciation while you can't afford it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Barry posted:

I know someone who bought her dream car.
It was a Mercury Mountaineer. A discontinued Ford Explorer variant. :geno:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

He seems to be doing otherwise ok:

quote:

Alright, I'm not 100% on this, but if memory serves this is what he's worth:
300k house
personal portfolio
150k plot of land
250k private banking (not sure)
180k plot of land, dad and I currently doing deconstruction, going to put 2 appartments there
1 appartment, currently lived in by my granddad
some cash ( I'm guessing around 100k)

Sounds like the kind of guy who should just stick to what he knows (which isn't the stock market.) Not sure why you'd buy Cameco right now even though it's dirt cheap.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Barry posted:

I'd say it's a good thing for someone's dreams to be relatively affordable, though.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I just want to be able to afford that avocado on toast. :smith:

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Her post history also indicates that:

- She paid for nutritional advice and was convinced that she was only eating 900-1,000 calories a day, but she was gaining weight (she was 5 foot 4 and 250 pounds, but even the skinniest person is not going to gain weight on 900 calories. Also, it is not a good idea to only eat 900 calories.)
- She was asking reddit for career advice on how to break into the anime/manga writing industry as a 35-year old woman with no experience, but a lot of exposure to the product.
- Doesn't want to move back with her mom, because she is an atheist and her mom is religious.
- 70k in student loan debt, with no degree, for a private art school for video game graphic design
- Uses Uber Eats for food because going to the grocery store gives her too much anxiety.
- Doesn't like the idea of using medication or therapy for mental illness.
- Says she "needs" cable and a landline + cellphone.

I think she needs to get her mental health issues sorted and stop trying to argue atheism with her mom first and then worry about the rest. It would be bad if she was 25, but 36 is really late to deal with all this stuff.

Wow, you actually went really deep into their post history.

I'm pretty numb to the idea of buying a car that is way out of a reasonable budget proportional to a person's net income. At this point it's even weirder when someone doesn't do that.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'd say it's a good thing for someone's dreams to be relatively affordable, though.

Sure, but when it's used as an excuse to overextend their budget it has the opposite effect.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation

CmdrRiker posted:

Wow, you actually went really deep into their post history.

I'm pretty numb to the idea of buying a car that is way out of a reasonable budget proportional to a person's net income. At this point it's even weirder when someone doesn't do that.

I'm numb to stupid car spending as well, but getting a car that is 120+% of your gross income (when you already have a paid off car) is still pretty impressively bad.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6fuvg2/truck_rental/

quote:

Monthly truck payments = $1200

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

This it the part where that cretin comes in and creeps through all your recent posts to tell us about the kind of car you bought for your wife, so be careful posting about cars!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Not really anything good enough to post, but there have been 3 posts on /r/personalfinance in the last week that had people asking for advice about their 30-year fixed rate mortgage with interest rates between 4.8% and 5.3%.

How is it even possible to get an interest rate that bad? And why would you lock yourself in to a 5.3% mortgage?!?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

2017 F250 Diesel, the perfect road trip vehicle.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

monster on a stick posted:

He seems to be doing otherwise ok:

Sounds like the kind of guy who should just stick to what he knows (which isn't the stock market.) Not sure why you'd buy Cameco right now even though it's dirt cheap.

Probably because it's dirt cheap. People see it's under $10 and think they can get a 600% return if it bounces back up to it's all time highs.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Not really anything good enough to post, but there have been 3 posts on /r/personalfinance in the last week that had people asking for advice about their 30-year fixed rate mortgage with interest rates between 4.8% and 5.3%.

How is it even possible to get an interest rate that bad? And why would you lock yourself in to a 5.3% mortgage?!?

Are these for refis or new mortgages? Late 2000's, early 2010's, that would have been a reasonable rate depending on when you got it.

If it's for a new mortgage, they're getting boned.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation

Barry posted:

Are these for refis or new mortgages? Late 2000's, early 2010's, that would have been a reasonable rate depending on when you got it.

If it's for a new mortgage, they're getting boned.

New. First time home-buyers.

I know they are getting boned, but it is baffling that anyone would end up with a 5.3% mortgage. Even just a cursory google will tell you that it is out of the norm. Let alone 3 different people getting it and none of them bothered to ask if that was okay until AFTER they got their mortgage.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

I know they are getting boned, but it is baffling that anyone would end up with a 5.3% mortgage. Even just a cursory google will tell you that it is out of the norm. Let alone 3 different people getting it and none of them bothered to ask if that was okay until AFTER they got their mortgage.

Are they standard loans or jumbo?

I've got a jumbo loan that's right at 4% but I'm re-financing later this year to get that poo poo down into the low 3s (unless the fed goes hog wild).

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation

Dick Nipples posted:

Are they standard loans or jumbo?

I've got a jumbo loan that's right at 4% but I'm re-financing later this year to get that poo poo down into the low 3s (unless the fed goes hog wild).

Standard.

2 of the 3 were for between 175k and 210k.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Standard.

2 of the 3 were for between 175k and 210k.

Wow. drat.

Rates have only gone up like... 0.25 in the first quarter? Maybe less. I can't remember. Prior to that, pretty stagnant.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

quote:

I thought he was doing fine because he told me he sold stocks that were making him a profit and kept the ones that were doing bad

Lol

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Me, reading that sentence:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

It's all paper losses.

<panic sells everything, now has fewer slips of paper>

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009

John Smith posted:

I would love to see a photoshop of a horse tow truck! What would that be like? A big rear end draft horse pulling along a tiny pony???

This with a horse trailer rather than an rv?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Of course there's an American flag on it.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

I mean quite honestly you should stop being so surprised at financial illiteracy. If you stopped people on the street and quizzed them on current interest rates what do you think you'd hear?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Hoodwinker posted:

Of course there's an American flag on it.

Honestly, I was expecting a rebel flag...

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Staryberry posted:

I can only assume the cauldron(?) hanging from the bottom is below the turlit in the rv.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

KingSlime posted:

that's a great story but poor, naive girl

who the hell offers to pay up to 2k just like that without trying to hash it out/repair it/tell them to gently caress right off and go straight to the courts, especially to a friend of a friend you don't know and could very well be some dirtbag loser trying to con you?

probably un-jaded, un-cynical people that are better than me but hey I guess that's why they say no good deed goes unpunished

I always love stories that involve someone mouthing off to the judge. That person basically threw away 2 grand because they were a greedy idiot with a naive friend.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Staryberry posted:

Is this bad or good with money? On one hand, great gas mileage, on the other...horses AND and RV. I'm torn. I wish that was all towing a boat, that might tip the scales a little.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Higgy posted:

Is this bad or good with money? On one hand, great gas mileage, on the other...horses AND and RV. I'm torn. I wish that was all towing a boat, that might tip the scales a little.

I think you'd be hard, hard pressed to operate a horse at a cheaper cost per mile than a reasonable car even under the best of circumstances.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I think you'd be hard, hard pressed to operate a horse at a cheaper cost per mile than a reasonable car even under the best of circumstances.

:thejoke:

Another reddit gem but at least he's asking before jumping:

quote:

Hi all, I am from Vancouver, Canada; currently on a $35,000 salary and have roughly $80,000 saved away in my bank account if I cash in my TFSA TD mutual funds. No student loans or any loans to speak of.

My dream is to go to law school in Ontario next year in Fall, and although by then my savings can pay off all three years of law school, graduating with nothing to my name is really upsetting.

Thus, I am contemplating in investing in real-estate in Greater Vancouver, maybe in Surrey. My current (half-cooked) plan is to purchase a small apartment with all my savings as down payment. I take out a ~$20,000 mortgage (total value of apartment: ~$110,000) and then use the rental income to pay it off. If I can rent the unit out for $900 per month with no utilities then it will cover the $500 mortgage as well as an extra $400 that I can use for living expense in Ontario (or cover emergency costs).

In the mean time I can apply for Canada student loan for tuition and living cost in Ontario. This way when I graduate from law school in three years I will have an apartment (abide a lovely one) mostly paid off and can concentrate on slowly paying back my student loans with my (hopefully) articling salary.

Are there any gaping plot holes in my grand scheme? Is there a more efficient plan for managing my finance/dream for the next couple of years?

Makes $35K, $80K in the bank and wants to go to law school. He can totally fund his tuition but he doesn't want to come out of it with nothing so he'll invest in real estate, take out a mortgage, and take on $80K in student loans for a total of $100K in debt (presumably). Then go to law school while working a job and being a landlord I guess?

I mean yeah, it could work but it just seems like a lot of work for not much gain to me.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Higgy posted:

That's the most Amish thing I've seen in a long time.

Car is likely not an option, and with the lifestyle, life skills and breeds involved those horses most definitely are less expensive than a car if I'm right.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Think those are mules aren't they? Or was that the joke?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Higgy posted:

Makes $35K, $80K in the bank and wants to go to law school. He can totally fund his tuition but he doesn't want to come out of it with nothing so he'll invest in real estate, take out a mortgage, and take on $80K in student loans for a total of $100K in debt (presumably). Then go to law school while working a job and being a landlord I guess?

I mean yeah, it could work but it just seems like a lot of work for not much gain to me.

At the height of a bubble no less....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

Think those are mules aren't they? Or was that the joke?

They look like standardbred trotters to me, which is part of why I'm suggesting Amish.