Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Don't play hockey if you don't want to be victimized by the existing culture's poo poo opinions about... Oh wait that is going to be a problem isn't it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

These guys get paid millions of dollars to play a game, a lifetime of living in a fugue and an elevated suicide risk is just part of the job so they should stop crying about a little boo-boo on their head.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

These guys get paid millions of dollars to play a game, a lifetime of living in a fugue and an elevated suicide risk is just part of the job so they should stop crying about a little boo-boo on their head.

Hi Roger Goodell I didn't know you posted here! :v:

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

ThinkTank posted:

Funnily enough the Hull thing was the league half assedily implementing a rule to make up for the uncertainty around goaltender interference, just like they're doing here with reviews. If they'd left well enough alone no one would really remember the Stars first cup. I think the chances of a Stanley Cup winner being affected by an obviously blown offside call are far lower than the likelihood of it happening due to the idiocy around a situation like Forsberg's skate.

To do his job correctly, the linesman has to stand on the blueline and would be in front of the camera most of the time. The NHL has them already, but they're generally not a very useful view for that reason.

I found the NHL PR tweet that showed the result of the above offside call. The quality could be a hell of a lot better, that I don't disagree on. I just think they're not likely to solve anywhere near as many issues as people seem to expect.

*Puts on referee jersey*

That image does not show a player that is offside. The key reason is because the puck hasn't actually entered the zone yet. The key decision is actually once the puck has fully crossed the blue line so the next frame, or if the players are moving fast enough, an interpolation between the two frames, would actually be determinative. However,

xzzy posted:

If the nhl spent more than fifteen bucks on their blue line cameras, it would be pretty easy to determine offsides.

But nah, a 0.5 megapixel sensor recording at 3 fps is all we got budget for. Sorry guys!

So they don't have that point in time so we are left guessing.

hifi posted:

I think i'd trade any attempt at fixing the offsides challenge for being able to challenge penalties. Everyone in the NHL repeats the mantra of "well we gotta get it right" and then it seems like every other game there's a slow motion shot of a guy whiffing on a high stick and getting called for it anyways.

You can get a high stick for threatening or carrying in a threatening manner, not just actual contact.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Chad Sexington posted:

Darthvechkin always force chokes in the playoffs.

Why is Brent Burns in this?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

The Canucks have hired Newell Brown (former assistant coach) and Nolan Baumgartner (former player) as bench assistant coaches. They have also hired Doug Jarvis (former assistant coach) and Manny Malhotra (former player) to be non-bench assistant coaches. Dan Cloutier (former player) is the goalie coach.

Why is Jim Benning is desperate to emulate the 2009 Edmonton Oilers nepotism?

Moreover, at least when the Oilers did it they hired people who were, y'know, GOOD players (Doug Jarvis being the exception, he was a solid player). Like, good players don't equal good execs or coaches, but I at least understand where that logic comes from.

Who, aside from Jim Benning, thinks Nolan Baumgartner is gonna teach anybody anything? And my god, did Dan Cloutier suck. '03-04 was his only genuinely decent year, every other year where he started he was being buoyed by a good Canucks team.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 8, 2017

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
To be fair to Baumgartner, while it is still nepotism, he's been an assistant coach for the Chicago Wolves (and then Utica when the Canucks changed affiliates) since 2012.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/NicholsOnHockey/status/872561069440380928

I would love if the Oilers could get Hamonic for Eberle. Then our D when healthy would be:

Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - Hamonic
Nurse - Benning

:getin:

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

This one will fix our D problems for sure

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Aurora posted:

This one will fix our D problems for sure

Maybe we can resign scuderi

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
https://twitter.com/LAKings/status/872601695296962560

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Good deal for Toffoli and the Kings. He gets to have another contract at age 28 in his prime. Kings can trade this contract if the team goes completely to poo poo, low enough hit that it doesn't hurt the team if they turn it around a bit.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
https://twitter.com/LAKings/status/872607537463402497

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Bergevin wants to re-sign Brian Flynn too. :cripes:

This loving team.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Dang I was hoping it'd be a bag of coke at a Vegas pool club.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

https://twitter.com/iNova_HD/status/872609273297207296

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Kilza posted:

https://twitter.com/NicholsOnHockey/status/872561069440380928

I would love if the Oilers could get Hamonic for Eberle. Then our D when healthy would be:

Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - Hamonic
Nurse - Benning

:getin:

The isles pretty much have to trade someone before the expansion draft, probably either hamonic or de Haan. They got screwed by having to protect Ryan pulock but everyone who reports on the team says they'd protect pulock over de Haan.

They could move Ryan strome or brock Nelson too but one of the d men are more likely. I'd rather do it for a guy like duchene but if it has to be Eberle at least he's had some chemistry with Tavares in the past :shrug:

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

yellowcar posted:

This loving team.

Flynn is is a great 4th liner in that he doesn't stink overall.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Stiev Awt posted:

Flynn is is a great 4th liner in that he doesn't stink overall.

They got enough of them already.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Something tells me 4th liners aren't really a hot commodity that should be signed before the skilled players.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Suspicious posted:

Something tells me 4th liners aren't really a hot commodity that should be signed before the skilled players.

One word for you:

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

yellowcar posted:

They got enough of them already.

I can't hear you over the sound of Galchenyuk being traded for Mike Fisher,

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

All this talk of rule changes and no one is looking at the most criminal of all - get rid of the trapezoid drat it :argh:

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Was this posted yet?

http://twitter.com/IgorEronko/status/872460544212701184

Idea being Radulov wanted to complete his divorce so his then-future-ex-wife (and now ex-wife) wouldn't be able to lay a claim to his future contract.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Flyers picked up the the Erie Otters coach to be an assistant

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

MononcQc posted:

Was this posted yet?

http://twitter.com/IgorEronko/status/872460544212701184

Idea being Radulov wanted to complete his divorce so his then-future-ex-wife (and now ex-wife) wouldn't be able to lay a claim to his future contract.

Holy poo poo. Real character guy eh.

Stiev Awt posted:

I can't hear you over the sound of Galchenyuk being traded for Mike Fisher,

Please. It'd be for Cody McLeod.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

yellowcar posted:

Please. It'd be for Cody McLeod.

I think you mean Andrew Shawww crap. :(

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

yellowcar posted:

This loving team.

I quit on them again. Maybe I'll come back for the playoffs again.

yellowcar posted:

Holy poo poo. Real character guy eh.

I mean... that news means that he can't pull a Slava Voynov.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

Xtanstic posted:

I quit on them again. Maybe I'll come back for the playoffs again.

But that's the worst part!

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Brian Flynn isn't a bad resigning, since it will be somewhat cheap. Likewise, I'm not mad at the Martinsen resigning.

I'm gonna be mad at the inevitable trades and when Bergevin drafts another Juulsen type with the first rounder, or when he drives Galchenyuk and Beaulieu to arbitration and then lets them walk.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Maybe they need to draft an even bigger and slower player than McCarron, who will wait even longer before playing in the league, something like 26 years old

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A lawyer could probably get her part of the new contract anyway.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

A lawyer could probably get her part of the new contract anyway.

I imagine part of the divorce involved Radulov paying off his wife's attorney and getting a ridiculous deal forming an agreement with his wife where she would not be entitled to any future earnings on his part.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Cheap or no, it's still one of the 50 contracts Montreal will have to carry this year, which will keep us from signing actual skilled pl- ahahaha, I couldn't finish it.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
IIRC one of the answers to character questions about Rads last summer was "He's got a wife now! He's a family man!" So maybe we're in for a wilding now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Alex Radulov abandonné

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Suspicious posted:

But that's the worst part!

True enough

Schlesische posted:

Brian Flynn isn't a bad resigning, since it will be somewhat cheap. Likewise, I'm not mad at the Martinsen resigning.

I'm gonna be mad at the inevitable trades and when Bergevin drafts another Juulsen type with the first rounder, or when he drives Galchenyuk and Beaulieu to arbitration and then lets them walk.

It's emblematic of horrible organizational philosophy and clutters up the developmental pipeline. Look at all the contributions Nashville and Pittsburgh are getting from home grown guys. It's a salary capped league and you better try to find some cheap talent for your bottom rosters rather than wasting it on average level replacement level guys.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

quote:

http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/nhl/well-just-leave-brian-burkes-blunt-words-on-calgary-arena-situation-disavowed-by-flames

In what has been the bluntest talk yet about the future of the Calgary Flames, president of hockey operations Brian Burke said the NHL team will move if a new arena is not built.

“We’re not going to make the threat to leave. We’ll just leave,” Burke told a business luncheon at the Canadian Club of Calgary on Wednesday.

“We still have a building that was built in 1983, the oldest in the league by more than 10 years.

“They figured it out in Edmonton, where they know that a new building can rejuvenate the downtown. But I guess we’re just smarter than that here.”

But in the hours after Burke’s comments were published online, Ken King, Flames president and CEO, issued a statement saying Burke is not the club’s spokesman on the new arena and that the Flames are still committed to working with the city towards a solution.

A professional sports franchise in [what is here] a major sport begging/extorting for tax dollars is idiotic. The last guy and the guy before him and the guy before him got free poo poo but guess what, it was a bad idea then too and it has to stop somewhere.

Also it's just precious that Burke literally thinks that the Calgary Flames are just going to pick up and move.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

flakeloaf posted:

Also it's just precious that Burke literally thinks that the Calgary Flames are just going to pick up and move.

He doesn't, he just knows it's a successful public negotiating tool that preys on people's emotions. Remember Katz touring Seattle with Gretzky? It was a bluff then and a bluff now, but now the conversation is "SAVE OUR FLAMES!!!" not "why are we building an impossibly expensive play thing for a private company?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ThinkTank posted:

He doesn't, he just knows it's a successful public negotiating tool that preys on people's emotions. Remember Katz touring Seattle with Gretzky? It was a bluff then and a bluff now, but now the conversation is "SAVE OUR FLAMES!!!" not "why are we building an impossibly expensive play thing for a private company?"

The thing is, that's starting to fall apart. Look at San Diego and Atlanta. One moved because the locals told him to gently caress off (and thus losing all their fans in the process), and Atlanta has people pissed off because they bypassed the residents.

• Locked thread