Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

The General posted:

"They'll never accept you as Captain."
"Yes they will, because you're gonna be my number one."
"Alright."

I think that's how it went down.

"The small number of dangerous criminals we should just keep in the bring won't accept you as captain."

I forget, were there significantly more Maquis dudes on that little ship than just Chakotay, Latina Klingon, and Tuvoc who was a Fed spy?

edit: Best Trek weapon Snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

The General posted:

"Alright."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VRwTiQWoXU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Starfleet doesn't make sense and all the rank stuff is totally malleable because nobody gives a poo poo and the whole thing is, as we have said, just a giant scam to keep the hosed up people who don't feel like relaxing and having fun all day away from the rest of their completely utopian and post-scarcity society.

"So... I'm a captain?"
"Yeah sure, whatever, just leave me alone so I can get back to spending all my time drinking wine and learning to make a perfect omelette."

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
The rankings are dumb because Star Fleet is emphatically not a military organization. Their ranks are about as meaningful as those of the Salvation Army.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

There are non-military organizations also use military-style rank systems/career paths.

Space Taxi
Oct 31, 2016

Tricky D posted:

Star Fleet is emphatically not a military organization.

Alpha quadrant propaganda. Open your eyes, man.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Tricky D posted:

Star Fleet is emphatically not a military organization.Army.
Yeah, there is so much good science to be done while armed to the teeth and ceaselessly patrolling the lifeless expanse of the neutral zone.

Space Taxi
Oct 31, 2016
Let's be honest here. Most Starfleet vessels are warships with a few dusty test tubes locked in a storage closet.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
I mean, the whole point of the Defiant was that Star Fleet had no "military vessels."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Animal-Mother posted:

"The small number of dangerous criminals we should just keep in the bring won't accept you as captain."

I forget, were there significantly more Maquis dudes on that little ship than just Chakotay, Latina Klingon, and Tuvoc who was a Fed spy?

There's actually some 30-odd Maquis crew on Voyager, out of 140-something. Chakotay got the command role to keep his part of the crew in line (which stopped mattering at all after episode three because Rick Berman explicitly mandated the whole us-versus-them thing be dropped by then), and B'Elanna got the Chief Engineer role on merit over the Starfleet guy Janeway was initially considering.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Foreskin Problems posted:

I'm having trouble finishing the last season of DS9 after the disaster that was The Reckoning. Will the ending redeem the series?

Well, first off, you're only on Season 6, and yes you should finish that season because it has another cool space battle. Season 7 is definitely more hit or miss than previous seasons, but it *mostly* manages to stick the landing.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

shadow puppet of a posted:

Yeah, there is so much good science to be done while armed to the teeth and ceaselessly patrolling the lifeless expanse of the neutral zone.

Starfleet ships are multipurposed exploration/diplomacy ships. Some areas of exploration/diplomacy require more guns than others.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

It's because they're so good at science that they can be multi-mission vessels and still go toe to toe with the most advanced military ships of any other race. :smug:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Tricky D posted:

I mean, the whole point of the Defiant was that Star Fleet had no "military vessels."

So Starfleet is basically just a collection of civilian Humvees?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

A well regulated militia... :911:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

It's because they're so good at science that they can be multi-mission vessels and still go toe to toe with the most advanced military ships of any other race. :smug:

You know, this is truth. The further you go from the Federation, the more lovely the technology gets. The Delta Quadrant doesn't even have replicator technology.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

The General posted:

You know, this is truth. The further you go from the Federation, the more lovely the technology gets. The Delta Quadrant doesn't even have replicator technology.

I bet the borg have them.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

The Borg have self replicating nanites, so yeah. Self replicating mines is the best the federation managed.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I bet the borg have them.

The Borg aren't people :colbert:

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

The General posted:

The Borg aren't people :colbert:

Yeah you're right, they're more of a gigantic person, like Harry Knowles or Bruce Vilanch.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
So uh I continued where I left off on DS9.

Is Gul Dukat really gonna smash that Kai Wynn strange?

Space Taxi
Oct 31, 2016
Yes, but he's not going to tell his buddies.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Bajoran Dukat is the most bizarre thing DS9 ever did with the character but it still kinda works. Those two together are the embodiment of evil. Plus Wynn gets a nice little comeuppance when she realizes she's been loving the bajoran equivalent of Hitler.

This Voyager episode is absolutely ridiculous. The holo-Irish think the crew are demons and start shooting up the holodeck and take folks hostage. Torres suggests just pulling the plug and erasing the program and Janeway literally tells her no because "the townfolk may not be real, but our feelings toward them are." :laffo:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Bajoran Dukat is the most bizarre thing DS9 ever did with the character but it still kinda works. Those two together are the embodiment of evil. Plus Wynn gets a nice little comeuppance when she realizes she's been loving the bajoran equivalent of Hitler.

This Voyager episode is absolutely ridiculous. The holo-Irish think the crew are demons and start shooting up the holodeck and take folks hostage. Torres suggests just pulling the plug and erasing the program and Janeway literally tells her no because "the townfolk may not be real, but our feelings toward them are." :laffo:

Deleting her hunky holographic Irishman is out of the question :colbert:.

Also that episode is the last time they ever do anything with Fair Haven.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

The General posted:

"Alright."

I said it before already but how Voy shoulda gone is to have the entire senior staff killed in the first episode, leaving 25 year old lieutenant Janeway as the senior surviving officer. Chakotay shoulda been like 60 with a kickass beard and the whole first season is tension between an inexperienced and scared Janeway being the lawful senior officer and chakotay as the badass veteran who knows his poo poo and is supported by the surviving maquis.
Chakotay keeps his guys in line and gradually starts mentoring Janeway so she becomes more experienced and confident as captain.

Man that sounds like a loving franchise.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
There was so much romantic tension between Janeway and Chakotay. I felt like my orgasm (of story enjoyment) was ruined when Chakotay married Seven, and Janeway became a dragon.

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

Caufman posted:

There was so much romantic tension between Janeway and Chakotay. I felt like my orgasm (of story enjoyment) was ruined when Chakotay married Seven, and Janeway became a dragon.

So now Voyager is cucking the viewer?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

For the Kai Win?

Yeah.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Yes, the Prefect of Bajor massacres her Kendra Valley.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Kai Winn must have known after the first time they had sex that Anjohl Tennan was not on the up and up.. Think about it, aint no way Bajorans use condoms as they are against the will of the prophets and Cardiassian jizz must reek of kanar and taspar like pineapple does to human jizz so either Dukat went as far as to implant into himself Bajoran balls and the Bajoran equivalent of a prostate, and then wire them up into his rebuilt Cardie penis, or Winn was knowingly wiping off a substance that smelled like Rom's bartowel during the occupation.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I watched the start of season 3 of DS9 last night and it is a little sad that one of Garraks most badass moments in inside a dominion mind simulation.

Where he rescues Sisko and helps the senior officers break out of the station.

"Doctor.. I don't think I will be able to have lunch with you this week.."

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
Someday after we're all dead, autogen holographics will advance to the point where we can say Computer, play Voyager, Good Version, and it will roll from the beginning but with all the baaaad poo poo taken out and replaced with satisfying explorations of every promising plot point. Voyager Good Version will be the most popular iteration of Star Trek.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Cobweb Heart posted:

Someday after we're all dead, autogen holographics will advance to the point where we can say Computer, play Voyager, Good Version, and it will roll from the beginning but with all the baaaad poo poo taken out and replaced with satisfying explorations of every promising plot point. Voyager Good Version will be the most popular iteration of Star Trek.

It's literally just most of the intro and then that scene of Tuvok choking Neelix. Roll credits.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
I think voyager bad is already the most popular version of star trek.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
That may very well be true; I don't know any trekkies or many trek watchers in general. I always assumed the TNG approach was the most widely remembered and celebrated. Except the other day I mentioned Voyager to my dad and like the first thing he brought up was the story about Jeri Ryan's republican husband trying to make her go to sex parties, lol.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's literally just most of the intro and then that scene of Tuvok choking Neelix. Roll credits.

But think of how the enjoyment of that scene will be impacted if the viewer lacks the background to viscerally understand the full force of how irritating Neelix could -

watches it again

oh, right

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Cobweb Heart posted:

Computer, play Voyager, Good Version

This starts playing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CDbK2plvqw

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Best Trek as created by machine learning would be a complex collage selected of all the best bits of the entire star trek canon.

So pretty much just regular DS9 with Reg Barclay getting the Dax symbiont in S7 instead of Ezri.

And oh yes, the Trill plot remains otherwise unchanged.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The ultimate OBrien must suffer, getting dumped for Broccoli.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
loving Barclay. His episodes of TNG were always the worst and then he manages to show up and somehow make Voyager worse.