Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

qhat posted:

Out of curiosity, what are you guys actually putting in your cover letter? Mine is pretty much thank you for considering me, here is a brief list of things in the job that match my resume, here's a small paragraph explaining any obvious weaknesses, you can get in contact with me at this email and telephone, look forward to discussing more with you, Butts McGree.

would love a chance to discuss <role>, i bring <things> to the table, really excited because your company is a leader in <bullshit>.

mostly just spit the buzzwords in the listing back at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
A cover letter is a great chance to just list out how you meet all the requirements for the job in plain english rather than making them match up bullet points on your resume to bullet points in the listing.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

you guys are making me feel bad about my cover letter template

like it's so generic that I have $COMPANY and $JOB in there with one spot for a sentence about fit that I often can't fill in without it sounding terrible

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

Munkeymon posted:

like it's so generic that I have $COMPANY and $JOB in there with one spot for a sentence about fit that I often can't fill in without it sounding terrible

this is what my cover letter ended up becoming, usually with something about relocating too since im in the middle of a desert
i also had more hits from places i applied to without a cover letter so it must really be a stinker.

thanks for nothing ResumeToInterviews

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

these ratios are about right for every position i've ever run hiring for

the thing you have the most control over is not being in that first cut, a little effort makes a big difference there.

making it through subsequent rounds gets harder to impact each time, i.e. think about the last cut: 3 great people left, 1 job -- it's almost chance based there.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Shaman Linavi posted:

thanks for nothing ResumeToInterviews

i have heard nothing good about resumetointerviews

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
the guy who started r2i was apparently doing a good job, then he sold the business to people who apparently aren't really doing a good job

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

these ratios are about right for every position i've ever run hiring for

the thing you have the most control over is not being in that first cut, a little effort makes a big difference there.

making it through subsequent rounds gets harder to impact each time, i.e. think about the last cut: 3 great people left, 1 job -- it's almost chance based there.

pretty much this

when i did phone interviewing the amount of people we turned away was crazy, like 9 out of 10 phone interviews resulted in a ding. shitloads of people don't even know the most basic things, like the difference between recursion and iteration, and how to figure out the max value of an int, or what polymorphism is.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
if you send a cover letter, i'll read it. if i like the cut of your jib, it's definitely a bonus, because communication is a very important part of the job, and it gives you an opportunity to explain through prose what may not be evident simply from your resume. if you don't send a cover letter, i won't mind, and i'll just read your resume. but if you send a cover letter and it's bad, i will definitely hold that against you

your application is you bragging about yourself, trying to present your work history in the most positive light. absence of information is not a negative: if you're just starting your career, then of course i don't expect a lot. but if you write stuff and it sucks, then that means you suck, and worse still, you don't even know you suck, or you would have left that poo poo off

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qhat posted:

or what polymorphism is.
thats like when your married but can still do it with other people right?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

FMguru posted:

thats like when your married but can still do it with other people right?

yah the opposite is "encapsulation"

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

JawnV6 posted:

:laugh:

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i had a interview with a solr consulting firm and i did a toy thing and i got grilled why i didn't try and make it into some big product or something and they said "why is it on github if it's a toy piece of poo poo" basically

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lol at cover letters. I never read them because they are all universally a waste of time. I only write them if it seems like it's required.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

The Management posted:

lol at cover letters. I never read them because they are all universally a waste of time. I only write them if it seems like it's required.

insert clever username joke here

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

hifi posted:

i had a interview with a solr consulting firm and i did a toy thing and i got grilled why i didn't try and make it into some big product or something and they said "why is it on github if it's a toy piece of poo poo" basically

i got this once and my response was, 'well feel free to do it yourself if you really want to'

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
sounds like startup passion/culture fit BS

"we really want someone who won't SETTLE until MY dream is shipping!"

The Management posted:

also good, but the answer to "DO I HAFTA" raised in earnest will remain "yes"

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
a startup near me put a job ad where they talk about regular geeking days, fun meetings and reference star wars.
I sent them a b&w picture of me standing in a forest with hashtags floating around and a phone number.

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
so are you ceo yet

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

JawnV6 posted:

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

I did a year-long project developing a new product with some classmates and we actually got a decent prototype as our provisional patent for it was about to expire. The week we were about to file for a full patent a much larger company started marketing a product that did exactly what ours did but also they were partnered with Motorola among other industry leaders so we dropped the project.

I have no problem telling this story in an interview as "We independently invented a working prototype and obviously it was a good idea!" but should I explicitly list that I had a provisional patent on my resume or should I just leave it as a thing I bring up in interviews?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

ThePeavstenator posted:

I did a year-long project developing a new product with some classmates and we actually got a decent prototype as our provisional patent for it was about to expire. The week we were about to file for a full patent a much larger company started marketing a product that did exactly what ours did but also they were partnered with Motorola among other industry leaders so we dropped the project.

I have no problem telling this story in an interview as "We independently invented a working prototype and obviously it was a good idea!" but should I explicitly list that I had a provisional patent on my resume or should I just leave it as a thing I bring up in interviews?

you should have filed for the full patent

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

leper khan posted:

you should have filed for the full patent

We were seniors in college. We had no money, had no idea how to sell it, and we had jobs lined up after graduation. Filing was going to be expensive enough and we weren't interested in the possibility of going into litigation.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

lol if your senior project idea wasn't turned into a successful company by someone else later, that's what should happen if it wasn't a stupid idea

so I had a call with the recruiter today, they've said I can expect to get an offer. I told them that I'm interviewing somewhere local in a few days, and so my recruiter says that she'll give me the offer after that interview because she doesn't want me to use the offer as leverage in said interview.

does this mean I'm playing the game of offers now?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Yes and you're failing at it so far

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

qhat posted:

Yes and you're failing at it so far

gently caress

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

DuckConference posted:

she doesn't want me to use the offer as leverage in said interview.

is there so much difference in "im expecting an offer"?

idk kinda seems like jumping the gun on your part, it's great to have one place going faster because of a looming offer, and it's great to put pressure on a recruiter to bump an offer up because of something competitive, but idk what you're gaining between those points at the "expect an offer" stage by mentioning competition? it's not a huge deal, but i think it would've been more bang for the buck by mentioning another interview later

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Never give recruiters anything they don't need to know. Only mention other offers after they've provided you with a firm offer package.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

crap, so when they ask about "do you have any outstanding offers or interviews" I should err on the side of staying quiet?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

DuckConference posted:

so I had a call with the recruiter today, they've said I can expect to get an offer. I told them that I'm interviewing somewhere local in a few days, and so my recruiter says that she'll give me the offer after that interview because she doesn't want me to use the offer as leverage in said interview.

the correct response would have been 'okay we'll get you that offer ASAP so we can hire you!'

the response they actually gave is bizarre and :redflag:

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

DuckConference posted:

crap, so when they ask about "do you have any outstanding offers or interviews" I should err on the side of staying quiet?

no. at some point they're presumably trying to hire you, make that easy for them to do by telling them about relevant things that impact their ability to do that. "I'm going to be in a coma for a week, will be incommunicado", "i have another job offer right now", etc.

edit i guess i wouldn't tell them about interviews other than "I am actively interviewing"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

no. at some point they're presumably trying to hire you, make that easy for them to do by telling them about relevant things that impact their ability to do that. "I'm going to be in a coma for a week, will be incommunicado", "i have another job offer right now", etc.

edit i guess i wouldn't tell them about interviews other than "I am actively interviewing"

eh, "I have an offer coming" is a really good way to light a fire under people's butts as far as getting them to actually do stuff instead of sitting around for weeks

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it's worth noting that some of the advice in this thread is intended to actively sabotage others' chances at getting a job because it helps eliminate competition just fyi

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Stymie posted:

it's worth noting that some of the advice in this thread is intended to actively sabotage others' chances at getting a job because it helps eliminate competition just fyi

Yes I'm so worried about being beaten technically by yospos posters. Rofl.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Stymie posted:

whoa, pretty big accusation there, would you care to highlight a specific example and save someone from a career-limiting mistake?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
dqs

Iverron
May 13, 2012

lol, just got a template rejection email from a place I haven't heard from in 3 months

"Hi this is the Pizza Hut you applied to in 1998. Unfortunately, you're not a fit for any of our open positions at this time."

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

JawnV6 posted:

whoa, pretty big accusation there, would you care to highlight a specific example and save someone from a career-limiting mistake?

don't ask stymie to quote his own posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

RISCy Business posted:

good luck with this, i had to break up with my boyfriend when i moved to maryland because he wanted to stay in michigan :smith:

West Michigan or East? Because if it was West then I can understand why he would want to stay. (West Michigan best Michigan)

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 8, 2017

• Locked thread