Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Dave Inc. posted:

That poo poo looks rad. Nice job.

Thanks! :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

chrisgt posted:

There's no such thing as a simple plumbing repair on a house.... The second you touch the broken part, you break the next part upstream, and when you go to fix that..... Yea, I hate working on houses.

That's the amazing thing about water. Don't have it for a few days you die. But within 5 minutes it can gently caress your poo poo up.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Colostomy Bag posted:

That's the amazing thing about water. Don't have it for a few days you die. But within 5 minutes it can gently caress your poo poo up.

I hate plumbing simply because water is so insistent on escaping, and can do so much damage so quickly.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Darchangel posted:

I hate plumbing simply because water is so insistent on escaping, and can do so much damage so quickly.

Yeah, and great with water pumps.

Getting back on topic, replaced a bunch of lift supports. Some you can do on your own...but the tailgate of a WJ was not of them.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 8, 2017

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

I figured out why my high beams weren't working with this new Putco harness on the XJ

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

ewiley posted:

I figured out why my high beams weren't working with this new Putco harness on the XJ

Now that's a neat trick.

For content: my Maverick just got painted and oh god I'm gonna poo poo myself. Should have it back middle of next week at which point there will be a proper flood of pictures.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
Got some shocks (struts?) in the mail today, and prepped the MR2 for the dreaded replacement job.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

Got some shocks (struts?) in the mail today, and prepped the MR2 for the dreaded replacement job.

Gabriel shocks? I've never had good luck with those, or do they actually make a quality line? I put them on a subaru once and completely blew them on the test drive (an abusive test drive...).

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

chrisgt posted:

Gabriel shocks? I've never had good luck with those, or do they actually make a quality line? I put them on a subaru once and completely blew them on the test drive (an abusive test drive...).

Honestly, I don't know. From reading the MR2OC boards and such the Gabriel units are considered OEM+ which is what I wanted to achieve. Thankfully the duty cycle of a MR2 strut is a fair bit different than that of a Subaru in capable hands.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yeah, and great with water pumps.

Getting back on topic, replaced a bunch of lift supports. Some you can do on your own...but the tailgate of a WJ was not of them.

Too heavy, I'm guessing? Or the struts too strong for one person to collapse to install? Not something I've tried. My XJ had new hatch struts when I got it, and even so was one of the earlier ones with the GRP hatch, rather than the '97+ steel one. Only other thing I've replaced the struts on is my first-gen RX-7, which is just the one piece of glass.

ewiley posted:

Supposed to be a ground for the relay, I assume?

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
My lift came with a couple different sizes of lifting blocks, so I decided to throw some taller ones on so I could take the bellypan off the MR2

And then procrastinating on doing the new shocks (shut up, I'll do them tomorrow), I installed two new e-brake cables. Here's one old one out and replaced, and the other new one ready to go in.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Need some lift details. Haven't seen one like that before with what appears to be one side fixed to the floor and rollers on the other. How high does it go and how low is your ceiling?

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Larrymer posted:

Need some lift details. Haven't seen one like that before with what appears to be one side fixed to the floor and rollers on the other. How high does it go and how low is your ceiling?

It's a Bend-Pak MD-6XP. Nothing is fixed to the floor, it is free standing. One side rolls the other stays stationary. Can be moved super easy, only needs 120VAC.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KZJECHS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My ceilings are about 9' and I could push the Audi through the ceiling if I go above the third (and final) stop.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

It's a Bend-Pak MD-6XP. Nothing is fixed to the floor, it is free standing. One side rolls the other stays stationary. Can be moved super easy, only needs 120VAC.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KZJECHS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My ceilings are about 9' and I could push the Audi through the ceiling if I go above the third (and final) stop.

I am just drooling over this but man, I can't justify $2K on it when all I do are oil changes and wheel swaps.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I am just drooling over this but man, I can't justify $2K on it when all I do are oil changes and wheel swaps.

yeah but think of how much quicker your wheel swaps got when you got an electric impact driver.

now half that time because you dont have to jack/drop the car 4 times.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Stop taunting me!

When I was a kid my grandfather had something called "siderail jacks" or something. It was essentially a long iron L bar that sat under the front and rear jack points and you could lift the whole side of the car up and get the jack stands under the front and rear, then go to the other side and do the same. Took about 5 minutes to get the whole car in the air.

Is there anything like that on the market today?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Rhyno posted:

Took about 5 minutes to get the whole car in the air.

I can do it quicker than that with my shop jack.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Man I want a lift something fierce because I can convince myself that I'll do all sorts of stuff if I only had the tools. Worked for an air compressor and sand blaster why not a lift? Especially since I have to tackle the Tracker's oil pan at some point.

As for what I did today a lift wouldn't have been that helpful.

When good solenoids go bad. About 2 weeks ago when I went to pull away from a stop light my van started sputtering. Right away my heart sinks and I starting getting all worried because here I am daily driving a thing that I must repair myself.
Turns out that there are two solenoids that control various air fuel mixtures within the carb depending where the engine is at at idle. 60 bucks for both solenoids (even though only one was bad might as well replace them both) and a week for shipping and a bit over two hours and the van runs great again. I'm so loving proud of myself since this van is pushing me to do things I'd never do on my own out of necessity.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I can do it quicker than that with my shop jack.

I should have been clear, like 5 minutes to jack up one side, toss the jack stands under then around to the other side to get those stands up and in place.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

KakerMix posted:

I'm so loving proud of myself since this van is pushing me to do things I'd never do on my own out of necessity.

That's so awesome. As time goes on you'll be even more shocked by the evolution of projects you're willing to take on. I still live in that state of DIY necessity, since I simply couldn't afford to take my vehicles to someone to fix.

Rhyno posted:

It's definitely a big purchase.
My justification at the time was that a) I had the money and b)I'd be doing a lot of work on a lot of different cars. There was a lot of time that I wanted a lift when I was doing stuff at my previous house, like angle gear swap on an S60R, d/s center bearing and guibo on an E46, half shafts on a Justy, full front suspension rebuilds on the S60R and B6 Ultrasport where a lift would have been indispensable.

I use that thing pretty much every time I'm in the garage. I agree, though, 90% of the stuff I'm doing is perfectly fine on jackstands, I used to have to do that myself. It just would have been nice to not have to lay under either of these for a month of my life it felt like:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

Thanks for the info. Looks like something that might work for me since I have lovely weak electrical (one outlet on the ceiling for the garage door that doesn't trip the breaker for my compressor/welder, the only other outlet does randomly :v:) in my garage, and it's a very small 2 car so any work I do I move a car out and work in the middle for space. How easy it it to move that thing around? Seems like it has a built in dolly but I imagine it's still heavy and needs a smooth floor to roll well.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Brake light came on in the Golf but I'd only replaced the pads maybe a year or so ago. Checked and the wires coming out of the pad to the sensor had broken. Twisted/taped/zip-tied them back together and the light's out. :downs:

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

scuz posted:

Brake light came on in the Golf but I'd only replaced the pads maybe a year or so ago. Checked and the wires coming out of the pad to the sensor had broken. Twisted/taped/zip-tied them back together and the light's out. :downs:

Heck yeah. My B6 had the light that took over my whole cluster.

Checked out all the pads and they spec'd good, so I just built a shorting plug for all four pigtails.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Darchangel posted:

Too heavy, I'm guessing? Or the struts too strong for one person to collapse to install? Not something I've tried. My XJ had new hatch struts when I got it, and even so was one of the earlier ones with the GRP hatch, rather than the '97+ steel one. Only other thing I've replaced the struts on is my first-gen RX-7, which is just the one piece of glass.

Eh, one of the supports were stuck. I could only open the gate about 4 inches without feeling like I would break something. Probably could have gotten by with a block of wood and a jack handle to support...but combined with the fact these are actually held in with torx bolts and the wisdom of old age it was looking like a recipe for disaster if I tried it solo.

I know Autozone and the likes need to make money and they sell convenience. But the lift supports on Rock Auto were $11 versus $35 at the store. Adds up when you have to replace 6.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Put some Rally Armor mudflaps on the RS today.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Huge_Midget posted:

Put some Rally Armor mudflaps on the RS today.

Thank you for driving something cool and different in Allen county.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

KakerMix posted:

Man I want a lift something fierce because I can convince myself that I'll do all sorts of stuff if I only had the tools. Worked for an air compressor and sand blaster why not a lift? Especially since I have to tackle the Tracker's oil pan at some point.

As for what I did today a lift wouldn't have been that helpful.

When good solenoids go bad. About 2 weeks ago when I went to pull away from a stop light my van started sputtering. Right away my heart sinks and I starting getting all worried because here I am daily driving a thing that I must repair myself.
Turns out that there are two solenoids that control various air fuel mixtures within the carb depending where the engine is at at idle. 60 bucks for both solenoids (even though only one was bad might as well replace them both) and a week for shipping and a bit over two hours and the van runs great again. I'm so loving proud of myself since this van is pushing me to do things I'd never do on my own out of necessity.

That carb setup looks fairly nasty. Good work on fixing it!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Honda carbs can eat a bag of dicks. They're great when they work right, and a complete oval office when they act up.

KakerMix's looks quite a bit simpler (I'm guessing Japan emissions laws didn't require nearly as much poo poo), but I'll just leave this vacuum line diagram for my old 88 Accord here.

The only "nice" thing about it was every vacuum line had a number printed on it (you can see some of them in Kaker's pics). But when you're working on something that old, generally half the lines have been replaced, or capped off, or left dangling, or they shatter if you look at them funny, or... :fuckoff:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jun 10, 2017

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

The 80's were truly the golden years for engineers working on automotive vacuum systems.

I wonder why (and some mfgs more than others) there was such a push for that, versus solenoid/motor control?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

angryrobots posted:

The 80's were truly the golden years for engineers working on automotive vacuum systems.

I wonder why (and some mfgs more than others) there was such a push for that, versus solenoid/motor control?

The technology didn't exist cheaply and miniature enough, and carburetors had really reached the peak attempting to be able to control mixture of exhuast gasses without feedback loops (we did get those in the 80s) Ten years later the same EGR valves and solenoid valves were used, but strapped to fuel injection and rendering a lot of the system irrelevant. A lot of that vacuum system is to control the exhaust mixture during transient throttle operations, lean out cruise, and generally try to finagle the carburetor into staying inside of operating parameters with drastic changes in air/fuel/carb temperature, air density changes, etc.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The Accord that the vacuum diagram is from had a feedback carb - it had the worst of both worlds!

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Meanwhile the Japanese market Accord had a PGMFi DOHC 2l which I'm pretty sure would have been better for emissions, especially a few years down the track when all that vacuum stuff started failing.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

dissss posted:

Meanwhile the Japanese market Accord had a PGMFi DOHC 2l which I'm pretty sure would have been better for emissions, especially a few years down the track when all that vacuum stuff started failing.

Didnt change poo poo. the EFI A series had a pile of solenoids too. EFI was an option here. same for the preludes of the era.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Got my new plate on today.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Imperador do Brasil posted:

rip SLORICE

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Raluek posted:

rip SLORICE

Witness me! SLORICE isn't going anywhere.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 11, 2017

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

cursedshitbox posted:

Didnt change poo poo. the EFI A series had a pile of solenoids too. EFI was an option here. same for the preludes of the era.

The B20a which was in the Japanese cars didn't seem to be anywhere near as bad

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Imperador do Brasil posted:

this is beautiful

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Rhyno posted:

this is beautiful

+1 :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Honda carbs can eat a bag of dicks. They're great when they work right, and a complete oval office when they act up.

KakerMix's looks quite a bit simpler (I'm guessing Japan emissions laws didn't require nearly as much poo poo), but I'll just leave this vacuum line diagram for my old 88 Accord here.

The only "nice" thing about it was every vacuum line had a number printed on it (you can see some of them in Kaker's pics). But when you're working on something that old, generally half the lines have been replaced, or capped off, or left dangling, or they shatter if you look at them funny, or... :fuckoff:

That diagram would be a dope wall poster if it was higher res.