Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Star Man posted:

Quickly, every one commit suicide now before you get whatever magical age marks you as old and you make bad voting decisions. If anyone needs help, I'll be happy to assist.

once i hit fifty (if that's even an option anymore) i will automatically start voting for whatever the youngest voters want. I figure, I'm going to die sooner than them and they should inherit a world with the politics their generation decides is important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
it's pretty amazing we've gone from Harvard constitutional law professor and community organizer to a manchild who understands almost nothing in general, but in particular is totally ignorant of how the US gov't and pussy things like diplomacy and legislation work

GODDAMIT WHY CAN'T YOU JUST DO WHAT I TWEET AT YOU TO DO

House Resolution 2198: A bill to allow executive orders to be issued via Twitter.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Pellisworth posted:

it's pretty amazing we've gone from Harvard constitutional law professor and community organizer to a manchild who understands almost nothing in general, but in particular is totally ignorant of how the US gov't and pussy things like diplomacy and legislation work

House Resolution 2198: A bill to allow executive orders to be issued via Twitter.

In a very narrow sense it's a sign that anyone can be President, as Trump is a fairly lovely businessman and C-list media figure whose only achievement has been getting the name "Trump" out there....and that's all it took. Well that and running against Hillary Clinton, which nobody in history is every going to be able to do again. Christ at least Reagan was a Governor first.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Pellisworth posted:

But he was SO BLACK

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
I have little sympathy for people trying to commit nation-wide murder-suicide.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
*one drop rule

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
what the gently caress is a capital gain

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Just chiming in to say that I appreciate Leon Trotsky's posting style.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

i suspect this is how things will begin to matter in the era of trump

https://twitter.com/jxnfreepress/status/872539262205538309

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Serfer posted:

Sure sure... all those working class people that have capital gains

Not everyone is as privileged as you.

Capital gains kick in at 37k AGI. A minimum-wage worker at McDonald's isn't going to have an employer provided investment account for tax-advantaged space.

These workers only have access to an IRA + Brokerage Account combination and lose out on that 18k of tax-advantaged space a 401(k) or 457(b) provides.

IRA contributions limits are only 5.5k, so if a minimum-wage worker wants to save any more than that, then they may have to realize capital gains.

Not everyone has a white-collar job that grants them these privileges.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Lol what if the states just do everything on their own

Finally it's Samuel Adams' time to shine!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yeah I remember the punk was 17 years old.

"It's not a fade, mom! It's called a fashy haircut and it shows my pride in my people! Tyler already has one and we're going to the park tomorrow! No I can't just comb it like that, it won't be the same! No, I still need you to drive me."

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

BRISTOL PALINS BABY posted:

once i hit fifty (if that's even an option anymore) i will automatically start voting for whatever the youngest voters want. I figure, I'm going to die sooner than them and they should inherit a world with the politics their generation decides is important.

Goons in 2040 AD:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

BRISTOL PALINS BABY posted:

Not me, I'm gonna know what's best for those little shits so help me god.

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Not everyone is as privileged as you.

Capital gains kick in at 37k AGI. A minimum-wage worker at McDonald's isn't going to have an employer provided investment account for tax-advantaged space.

These workers only have access to an IRA + Brokerage Account combination and lose out on that 18k of tax-advantaged space a 401(k) or 457(b) provides.

IRA contributions limits are only 5.5k, so if a minimum-wage worker wants to save any more than that, then they may have to realize capital gains.

Not everyone has a white-collar job that grants them these privileges.

Yes yes, all those people that make minimum wage that are investing into their IRAs and brokerage accounts.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

skylined! posted:

quote:

At 9:20 p.m. with 98 percent of the vote, Lumumba declared victory at the King Edward Hotel in downtown Jackson, chanting "One City, One Aim, One Destiny!" as he held a clear lead with more than 22,000 votes. His nearest rival, Republican nominee Jason Wells, had fewer than 1,000. Likewise, Lumumba stunned the city on May 2 when he defeated nine Democratic challengers in the primary to avoid a runoff.

Mm yes, surely this recount will be a productive one

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Skex posted:

To the "nothing matter" crew. No one thing is going to result in the GOP suddenly deciding to impeach and remove Trump.

The thing to remember though is that the only person who can not be indicted is Trump. Republicans in his administration are not immune to legal consequences. Congress people and Senators are not protected. Republican political operatives are vulnerable to charges as are business people.

The longer this thing goes on and the deeper the investigation goes the more people are going to get roped into it.

My personal belief is that it will eventually come out that that a substantial part if not the majority of the elected Republicans and all of these PACs are going to have Russian funding.

One of two things will come from this, either the Republicans currently in office will turn on him just to make it go away before they are implicated or once they are implicated they will be replaced by someone else who is more enthusiastic about getting to the truth.

So yes this poo poo matters. It's just going to take time for it to add up to the point where it overcomes the current political inertia.

Basically. This is a death by a thousand cuts, and we're at like #107.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Mm yes, surely this recount will be a productive one

I'm getting a quick history lesson and this whole thing is intriguing

his dad was a p cool dude and apparently Jackson Mississippi is crazy blue. wow

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I was thinking back to the Clinton years and Bill having to testify to a grand jury. I suppose that could happen to Trump if the house flips....

I hope Simpsons poo poo posting is still a thing of it does. I can't get "When the piss fan's testifying the GOP believes" out of my head.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Pellisworth posted:

it's pretty amazing we've gone from Harvard constitutional law professor and community organizer...
Remember when the big Republican talking point against Obama was that he had only been a Senator for a couple years and a "Community Organizer (lol that's not a thing)" and that he was unfit to be President because that wasn't nearly enough governmental experience to do such a serious job properly?

Skex posted:

The longer this thing goes on and the deeper the investigation goes the more people are going to get roped into it.
This. Getting Trump removed from office is not a thing we want to happen if it's ONLY Trump that is removed. Right now, Donald Trump's utter incompetence is the best shield we have against all of the horrible poo poo his administration wants to do. Imagine how much more they would have accomplished by now if not burdened with the walking clusterfuck that is Donald Trump.

If he is suddenly removed from office (or quits, or dies) then we have the same evil motherfuckers with the same horrible plans in action, but now without Trump disrupting all of it like an angry toddler. As hosed as it is, unless we can get a huge majority of Trump's people thrown out at the same time he is, we absolutely need Trump to stay in the White House until the 2018 midterms.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jun 8, 2017

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Aves Maria! posted:

that's cool, but the current 20-35 age group isn't voting for the GOP and if they passed the ahca, it's likely the next generation that's coming of age wouldn't vote for them in the future, either. which would mean the gop gets hosed for a couple decades, at least.

If the GOP can spend a decade making Latino people'white' like they did for the Irish they will not have a demographics issue in your lifetime.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Evil Fluffy posted:

If the GOP can spend a decade making Latino people'white' like they did for the Irish they will not have a demographics issue in your lifetime.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jun/07/donald-trump-immigration-court-deportation-lasalle

Good loving luck

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Robot Hobo posted:

Remember when the big Republican talking point against Obama was that he had only been a Senator for a couple years and a "Community Organizer (lol that's not a thing)" and that he was unfit to be President because that wasn't nearly enough governmental experience to do such a serious job properly?

Check the footer. Any requirement for qualifications are waved if there's an R next to the name.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

skylined! posted:

Yeah except for this part:

"The mayor-elect, who is 34, repeated his pledge not to fire people for political reasons and to make Jackson safe for young children and for senior citizens; Lumumba ended his acceptance speech by saying "I love you all" and committing to an inclusive administration."

Trying to be the bridge builder ensured that Comey would be there to sabotage the Clinton campaign and give Trump the Presidency. The best progressives ever do any more is waste their political capital trying to appeal to people who will purposefully sabotage the country to retain power.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Unzip and Attack posted:

Yeah except for this part:

"The mayor-elect, who is 34, repeated his pledge not to fire people for political reasons and to make Jackson safe for young children and for senior citizens; Lumumba ended his acceptance speech by saying "I love you all" and committing to an inclusive administration."

Trying to be the bridge builder ensured that Comey would be there to sabotage the Clinton campaign and give Trump the Presidency. The best progressives ever do any more is waste their political capital trying to appeal to people who will purposefully sabotage the country to retain power.

i think the guy who got 95% of the vote can say whatever he likes dude

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

skylined! posted:

I'm getting a quick history lesson and this whole thing is intriguing

his dad was a p cool dude and apparently Jackson Mississippi is crazy blue. wow

Jackson is because it's poor as gently caress and mainly minorities. The surrounding suburbs - Clinton, Madison, Ridgeland and Gluckstadt are not. That's where the white flight resides.

Also the Delta (northwest quadrant) of Mississippi is blue as hell for the same reason.

Unfortunately not enough to have the state vote for a Dem presidential candidate though.

However there is a tide of change. And our newspaper, The Clarion Ledger, is essentially pretty left wing which is hilariously because it draws the ire of everyone around here.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's kind of different at a local level. Who is the city equivalent of the FBI director that the matter would even have staffing power over? The mayor doesn't hire or fire a lot of people.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

I never knew about this "Irish haven't always been considered white" thing until this thread, and still can't get my head around it. They're pasty white as gently caress, how would you even know they were Irish if they didn't talk?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Sure, the Dem won 95%, but it wasn't in a gladiatorial arena where his opponents were gutted like fish in glorious combat. Doesn't count. D minus.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Capital gains = selling an investment body such as a stock or bond for more than you bought it for. Ie if you buy some apple stock for $1000 then sell it for $1200 you have a $200 capital gain. If you held the asset for more than a year you pay a maximum of 20% fed income tax on the gain instead of your marginal tax rate if you are in the top bracket (meaning youre rich af), 15% if you arent in the top bracket. Domestic dividends also get a preferential tax rate.

The ACA added 3% on top of cap gains to fund it which is the source of lots of the rage against the ACA, spreaded by propaganda of your friendly neighborhood Koch.

Wages get taxed at the normal graduated rates up to 35% after an automatic 7.65% FICA withholding. Most of the Bush cuts touted by rubes went straight to capital gains and dividends, meaning its a huge preferential treatment to rich people who make their money from stocks, bonds and other capital instruments, but your average rube doesnt understand this and just goes "gently caress yeah cut taxes i dont get why libtards like taxes".

tl;dr: the tax system heavily favors the rich and fistfucks wage earners through the tax treatment of investments and your average republican will gladly lay down their life in support of this because they dont understand that no republican tax cut will ever help wage earners, they just hear taxes and get mad. See also flat tax.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Kekekela posted:

I never knew about this "Irish haven't always been considered white" thing until this thread, and still can't get my head around it. They're pasty white as gently caress, how would you even know they were Irish if they didn't talk?

White is a made up concept that includes whatever random ethnicity people like or hate, like 100 years ago arabs were white and Jews weren't now it's flipped, while both are super closely related ethnic groups. "Hispanics" are now widely called nonwhite even though the core definition of Hispanic is someone that is part white.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Kekekela posted:

They have a strong negroid facial structure.

Actual argument

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Kekekela posted:

Technically people from East Asia have white colored skin too. Just because a group's pigment level is right doesn't mean society won't find a way to otherwise them.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Mulva posted:

They have a strong negroid facial structure.

Actual argument

Specifically:

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Reminder that Hitler called the Japanese honorary whites when he became allies with them. Meanwhile Japanese propaganda was largely focused on "white people are smart, but they are weak cowards with absolutely no backbone" hence their obsession with never giving up to prove their superiority.

Racists do not need a rational reason to hate the 'other'.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Kekekela posted:

The Irish were a despised underclass in the British Isles for the better part of a thousand years, starting with accusing them of being barbarians in order to justify invading their land. Their status as an underclass dovetailed with the Catholic/Lutheran split, of which the Irish were on the losing side in Britain.

Effectively they were stereotyped as loathsome, drunkard barbarians, because being downtrodden, they looked the part.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

"White" used to mean "British".

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Taerkar posted:

Specifically:

Note the cranial volume.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

dont even fink about it posted:

The Irish were a despised underclass in the British Isles for the better part of a thousand years, starting with accusing them of being barbarians in order to justify invading their land. Their status as an underclass dovetailed with the Catholic/Lutheran split, of which the Irish were on the losing side in Britain.

Effectively they were stereotyped as loathsome, drunkard barbarians, because being downtrodden, they looked the part.

Yeah that Lutheran reformation really caught on in England.

Edit: For those who may be as ignorant as the poster, it did not. There are fewer than a million Lutherans in England today. The English reformation was a whole other, different thing.

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Unzip and Attack posted:

This is kind of a lovely example. Despite being a Republican, up until a year ago, Comey was most well known for having a lot of balls and standing up to the Bush Administration.

• Locked thread