Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Node posted:

Nope, I've checked everything. The AI I was battling this time was France, who had equal tech, an equal admiral, and equal pretty much everything else. France doesn't get any events that makes their navy better, I'm pretty sure. The only thing I couldn't check was maybe he could have had a +10% naval morale advisor, but how would that explain me starting at 5 and France starting at 7? It makes no sense.

I still think you could have outdated ships, that usually explains it when I suddenly start losing naval battles. Even if you're equal in tech you could've forgotten to upgrade your ships. Also is France in a golden era? That gives a naval morale bonus. They also usually take Quality Ideas which also gives a naval morale bonus. If France has better prestige than you, that also affects morale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odinninn
Nov 5, 2012
There's also an event that can give up to 20 naval morale, that could be it.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
http://www.eu4wiki.com/Naval_warfare#Max_naval_morale

The wiki has a list of all the modifiers. There's gonna be a reason for it, this doesn't just happen randomly. Maybe France converted to Ibadi.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Geisladisk posted:

That's the kinda thing that frustrates me with Paradox games. There's so much behind the scenes poo poo that is in no way communicated in-game, but massively affects gameplay.

So if I have two separate fleets of 20ish, do they fight at the same time, or is there just a cap on 20 ships in a combat?

Naval width I think shows up on the combat screen while combat is occurring. Granted this isn't a great way to communicate that naval width exists but there you go

It's possible that maybe it's communicated in another interface somewhere but I am too lazy to check

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

QuarkJets posted:

Naval width I think shows up on the combat screen while combat is occurring. Granted this isn't a great way to communicate that naval width exists but there you go

It's possible that maybe it's communicated in another interface somewhere but I am too lazy to check

I actually booted a save up after I posted to see if I could find it, but I'm pretty sure it's not on the military menu (unlike land combat width) at all.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Trip report, second attempt with the Papal States (first one ended badly due to some estate mismanagement).

Allied France and Milan early on and I got into an early opportunistic war against Provence because everybody was dogpiling them and snatched their two provinces near Avignon. I was waiting on my rear end waiting for the shadow empire event to fire but France called me in a war against England and Austria. Decided to accept and try to not risk too much. I was fairly confident in my military power, even though I only had 15k guys, I was on par with military tech, had a 10% morale advisor and my ruler had the 5% army morale trait, also, I rolled this guy early with the noble estate:

It's my first time playing with a shock five dude (I'm a newbie) and man, he kicked a lot of rear end in that war. But even with all of that, it got dicey fast because Austria beelined me all the time. The moment of truth came when an Anglo-Austrian doomstack of 31k dudes was roaming Italy looking for my blood and I only had 14k dudes, waited on a mountain near Rome and wrecked them in a 1 to 2 fight, felt glorious. Decided to white peace out later because they kept sending dudes at me, was bleeding money and had little more to gain from that war.

Pretty nice start I guess, now I have admin 5 and I need to choose the first idea, which one should I choose with the Papal States?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Angry Lobster posted:

Trip report, second attempt with the Papal States (first one ended badly due to some estate mismanagement).

Allied France and Milan early on and I got into an early opportunistic war against Provence because everybody was dogpiling them and snatched their two provinces near Avignon. I was waiting on my rear end waiting for the shadow empire event to fire but France called me in a war against England and Austria. Decided to accept and try to not risk too much. I was fairly confident in my military power, even though I only had 15k guys, I was on par with military tech, had a 10% morale advisor and my ruler had the 5% army morale trait, also, I rolled this guy early with the noble estate:

It's my first time playing with a shock five dude (I'm a newbie) and man, he kicked a lot of rear end in that war. But even with all of that, it got dicey fast because Austria beelined me all the time. The moment of truth came when an Anglo-Austrian doomstack of 31k dudes was roaming Italy looking for my blood and I only had 14k dudes, waited on a mountain near Rome and wrecked them in a 1 to 2 fight, felt glorious. Decided to white peace out later because they kept sending dudes at me, was bleeding money and had little more to gain from that war.

Pretty nice start I guess, now I have admin 5 and I need to choose the first idea, which one should I choose with the Papal States?

Safest bet is to take a Diplomatic idea set for your first one because you want to focus your MIL points into military tech (unless you have tons of spare MIL points) and ADM into coring.

Take Diplomatic, or Influence if you plan to integrate vassals at some point.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

influence is good for the ae reduction in those good good italian lands. papal state is one of my top 3 starts, you can get crazy rich

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Pope is such a fun snowball to play as.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Does the pope still get those permanent event modifiers that give military bonuses and stuff?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

oddium posted:

influence is good for the ae reduction in those good good italian lands. papal state is one of my top 3 starts, you can get crazy rich

Yeah, Diplo has the Improve Relations now so they're both good for managing AE.

RabidWeasel posted:

Does the pope still get those permanent event modifiers that give military bonuses and stuff?

Yup, you can get 5% Discipline and 10% Manpower (among a few other things) from events.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah, Diplo has the Improve Relations now so they're both good for managing AE..
Yeah I prefer Diplo over Influence by a long shot. Influence means your AE doesn't get as high; Diplo means ALL negative relations modifiers improve faster, including AE. They both give Reputation. I really like the extra diplomat, the cheaper province warscore cost, and 10% cheaper Diplo tech over poo poo like better vassal income and envoy travel time. Also I like Diplo's policy options better.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Yeah I prefer Diplo over Influence by a long shot. Influence means your AE doesn't get as high; Diplo means ALL negative relations modifiers improve faster, including AE. They both give Reputation. I really like the extra diplomat, the cheaper province warscore cost, and 10% cheaper Diplo tech over poo poo like better vassal income and envoy travel time. Also I like Diplo's policy options better.

agreed, Diplo is better unless you plan to do a lot of integrating vassals and PUs

of course, you can always take both if you're Emperor of the HRE or whatever

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The buff to Improve Relations really solidified Diplo as the best Diplo idea group, but I think taking both Diplo and Influence is a good idea if you're not a colonizer. It's not like you're going to take Espionage

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
I've taken Espionage before. There are edge cases where that 10% vassal loyalty is important.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Schizotek posted:

I've taken Espionage before. There are edge cases where that 10% vassal loyalty is important.

The faster spynet construction actually really helps in the early game, and -10 yearly corruption, combined with high stability and all that makes hammering the debase button, on cooldown, a viable thing to do.

It's the aristocratic of diplomatic ideas. It does lack good events, but at least it doesn't feature any crippling ones.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Espionage should not only reduce the cost to make claims but should buff them, that'd probably make it one of the better diplo options as non colonizer.

As Pope, ally France, take some Islands from the Iberians and become a colonizer, it's fun as hell.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Oh yeah, it could further decrease the local autonomy when conquered, that sounds alright to me.

Tullius
Dec 23, 2015
So I managed to get to Germany as nagaur. Had a massive ottoman as my ally and called them in against Augsburg and Bohemian emperor.

We got crushed. I had the same tech, comparable leaders and more troops. Had gone defensive and quality so I wasn't sure how it had happened. Are European troop types just that much better or am I missing something?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Probably not, even at the end of the game it's only a few pips difference compared to India. Did you pause on a battle to check stuff out? Maybe they got one of the insane events like relentless drill.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Tullius posted:

So I managed to get to Germany as nagaur. Had a massive ottoman as my ally and called them in against Augsburg and Bohemian emperor.

We got crushed. I had the same tech, comparable leaders and more troops. Had gone defensive and quality so I wasn't sure how it had happened. Are European troop types just that much better or am I missing something?

Who is Bohemia allied with? It was only Augsburg and Bohemia you were fighting?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Tullius posted:

How was your army composition? Getting drastically out-cannoned can be devastating late game.

Tullius
Dec 23, 2015
Bohemia had a couple of opms as allies thats all. My army comp was 12/4/8 which normally works fine (tbh I've no idea what composition works best).

I didn't check stupidly what was causing their armies to be so good but I'll load it up later and have a look.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Tullius posted:

Bohemia had a couple of opms as allies thats all. My army comp was 12/4/8 which normally works fine (tbh I've no idea what composition works best).

I didn't check stupidly what was causing their armies to be so good but I'll load it up later and have a look.
Yeah late game (which we have to assume it is) you want to completely fill your back row with Artillery. Late game as Commonwealth I was running like....36 Infantry, 6 Cav, and 40 Artillery.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

AnoHito posted:

How was your army composition? Getting drastically out-cannoned can be devastating late game.

What is a good army comp and does that change with tech?

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Army composition can change depending on your nation, ideas, general, tech, and units, but generally you can get away with having enough cav cover their flanking bonus(this changes with tech and remember that this bonus covers both flanks), then filling the rest of your combat width with infantry, and then getting enough cannons that you can afford/support/don't lose to attrition up to your combat width. As time goes on I think the relative strength of cav goes down unless you have a national idea or something else that really boosts your cav's combat ability so you might be able to get away with ignoring them, but I'm probably wrong and I generally don't like them because they cost 2.5x what infantry costs and I kinda don't like them because of that.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

MikeC posted:

What is a good army comp and does that change with tech?

As a rough guideline: combat width (which changes with tech) in infantry. 2, 4, or 6 additional regiments in cavalry (trade in some infantry for more if you are a horse focussed country like Poland or a horde and have the money). Add more cannons as tech increases. As mentioned above: full backrow of cannons in the late game.
Don't make too big stacks in the end as attrition takes too many casualties. Split stacks and recombine for big battles.
Infantry takes the most casualties, so add some mercs in there. Refilling their ranks only cost money, not manpower and war exhaustion.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Read the wiki, there's an awful lot of math involved and it depends on a lot of things like the tech level, cavalry ratio, terrain/combat width, etc. Then also your own quality levels. As a rule of thumb you want to fill out your front line with infantry:cav as a 2:1 ratio and fill your back line with artillery, but keep in mind your infantry will die in larger numbers and once the 2:1 ratio gets skewed your cavalry will be penalized, and if artillery have to reinforce on the front line then you're in trouble.

There's also merc cost to keep in mind so when you take losses and your manpower gets low it's better to combine your infantry regiments and replace them with new mercs, but try to use only conscripted cavalry and artillery so you're not spiralling into debt.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

bees everywhere posted:

Read the wiki, there's an awful lot of math involved and it depends on a lot of things like the tech level, cavalry ratio, terrain/combat width, etc. Then also your own quality levels. As a rule of thumb you want to fill out your front line with infantry:cav as a 2:1 ratio and fill your back line with artillery, but keep in mind your infantry will die in larger numbers and once the 2:1 ratio gets skewed your cavalry will be penalized, and if artillery have to reinforce on the front line then you're in trouble.
Never ever do 2:1 - you quickly spiral to a tactics penalty when infantry get mowed down and then you lose the battle. Unless you are a cav focused nation like Poland or a horde (just like OperaMouse said) never have more than 4 cav in an army. As Poland with Quality, Nobility, and a buff Cossacks estate I still only run 6 cav in an army when I am field 30+ infantry in that same army.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

As a note, artillery is pretty useless when it first becomes available, so you should probably ignore it until you get the techs that improve it a lot. Late game, however, having a full back row of cannons at all times is just good sense.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
You still want a few artillery (1-4) to throw into siege stacks for their bonus when they show up in mil tech, however.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Tech 13 is the magic tech where they start to become viable and worth having if you're rich. 16 is when they start to hit harder, and then if you neglect them after tech 22 you start to run into serious trouble.

Never ever do 2:1 - you quickly spiral to a tactics penalty when infantry get mowed down and then you lose the battle. Unless you are a cav focused nation like Poland or a horde (just like OperaMouse said) never have more than 4 cav in an army. As Poland with Quality, Nobility, and a buff Cossacks estate I still only run 6 cav in an army when I am field 30+ infantry in that same army.

Then you're wasting the potential of one of the strongest cavalry nations in the game. 2:1 is a good rule of thumb for all nations in the early/mid game (if you can afford it), but I'll often go over that in certain situations; cavalry punch well above their weight for a long time, and it's only under 1:1 where the penalty starts to kick in. In general you should dial it back a bit as the game goes on, but Poland is one of the exceptions and can keep on trucking with horses all the way to the end. Especially if you're superloaded into cavalry ideas like that.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Thanks gents

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

It's a good idea to go beyond four when your flanking range increases sufficiently; 8 I think is the minimum number to fully take advantage of the flanking range bonuses from miltechs, and going even further will make your army stronger but more expensive

The reason that the supply ratio penalty exists is because cavalry are super strong, basically, so you should take advantage of them if you can.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 8, 2017

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Even for countries that don't have any bonuses to cavalry, cavalry still punch harder than infantry for most of the early and mid game. That's why they're more expensive. Getting more cavalry than the minimum required for flanking bonuses doesn't hurt, it helps. The reason not to do so lies more in the efficiency of the ducats you're spending more than anything else.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Seeing cavalry attack instead of infantry or cannons doing it is cool anyway, even if it means you're over your cavalry ratio. Solid reasoning, don't argue with me.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

It would be nice if they at least made it so that Berber countries couldnt raid you while you have a truce.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

I just want a loving CB that has a war goal of show naval superiority from getting raided.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

It would be nice if they at least made it so that Berber countries couldnt raid you while you have a truce.

Or if they're your loving allies and your alliance gets broken because your opinion of them gets too low after they've raided you. Everything about coastal raiding is really really dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Node posted:

Or if they're your loving allies and your alliance gets broken because your opinion of them gets too low after they've raided you. Everything about coastal raiding is really really dumb.

Wait is that a thing? As a berber state you cannot raid your allies, I thought it was the same for the AI

• Locked thread