Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

World War Mammories posted:

THE IRON KEEP ELEVATOR

The "B" in "B-Team" stands for "BTHE IRON KEEP ELEVATOR" :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

KingSlime posted:

kinda like the room of loving jailers in irythill dungeon

I thought it was idiotic bullshit by a team who just doesnt give a gently caress anymore but someone told me you can release a nearby monster that will wreck their poo poo

that makes a lot more sense...because a massive grouping of enemies that can individually sap your max health down to a sliver upon sight is seriously the worst thing from soft has ever done

I never got that guy to go after the jailers. He would just stay in his cell or attack me if I try to kite him outside.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Your Computer posted:

People complaining about hitboxes in DS2 are just looking for something to complain about, that poo poo's in every Souls game.

The lack of interconnectivity in the world is definitely a valid point though, and a thing a lot of people disliked. DS2 is way more "video game-like" in this respect than DS1. I feel like at least they have some really cool and pretty environments, but I still prefer the way DS1 was structured.

Yeah phantom hit boxes are in all the games. What I mean at least for me is I don't like how attacks in ds2 tend to be lurching forward and swinging the weapon in the least reaching way possible. So I don't mean that they're shoddy, I don't like how the hurt boxes or whatever are arranged in the attacks. It's hell trying to hit crystal lizards with diagonal slashes.
And since attacking and rolling is what you do in the game that I don't like how it handles attacks and rolls weighs on the whole experience.

I should reinstall ds1 so I can windge about how it's even worse

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Your Computer posted:

The "B" in "B-Team" stands for "BTHE IRON KEEP ELEVATOR" :argh:

SCOT SMAGOO BT-EAM :argh:

in all seriousness, I still figure that the original plan was the player would ride a cage-on-a-zipline down from the top of earthen peak to the iron keep caldera just over the mountains. you can see them from harvest valley plain as day. presumably another casualty of the dev team restarting a lot of their work or whatever it was. I would really like a great big dark souls 2 development tell-all, that would be really interesting.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Right, gotcha. One of the most :psyduck: things in DS2 to me is the 2h greatsword animation for stuff like the Mirrah Greatsword where it's like the character tries their hardest to give the attack the shortest possible reach and it ends up looking ridiculous. Give me the ol' Claymore moveset any day.

e: speaking of animations though, I hate DS1/3's rapier moveset so much. Those animations are so bad. I absolutely loved the thrusting swords in DS2 and I hate them in DS3 which is sad

I liked how DS2 felt more weighty though, the rolls especially feel more realistic (and in my opinion, better) than DS1/3's "puppet janked by a thread" animation. I know a lot of people don't like it though, and DS3 went in the opposite direction with even more ridiculous dodging and faster combat so... :v: I love all three games to death though, so I get stupidly defensive when people try to paint one of them as "the worst". Also, because this:

that's like picking out the worst harlem globetrotter. ds2 at its worst, fighting fire salamanders that spin like tops or infinite-stamina mace-wielding drakekeeper knights, is still better than 95% of games.
(man, gently caress those drakekeepers)

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Yeah phantom hit boxes are in all the games. What I mean at least for me is I don't like how attacks in ds2 tend to be lurching forward and swinging the weapon in the least reaching way possible. So I don't mean that they're shoddy, I don't like how the hurt boxes or whatever are arranged in the attacks. It's hell trying to hit crystal lizards with diagonal slashes.
And since attacking and rolling is what you do in the game that I don't like how it handles attacks and rolls weighs on the whole experience.

I should reinstall ds1 so I can windge about how it's even worse

For me it's not so much the phantom hitboxes - agreed that's in all games. Dumb turntable enemies and several seriously bullshit encounters are my chief complaint, followed quickly by the fact that nothing feels weighty/fluid like 1 and 3's combat. Swinging a Zweihander in DS1 for example, feels like you are swinging a HUGE gently caress-off sword. Doesn't feel that way to me in 2. Plus the parry timing is all screwy, the rolling is weird, and running doesn't feel like you're moving any faster. It just looks like the animation speeds up.

While the environments are nowhere near as cool/interconnected as the other games, that really doesn't bother me much. The Earthen Peak elevator is dumb, but I never understood how it managed to apparently ruin the game for some people.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The one handed grym great hammer, here let me just 360 twirl this thing over my left shoulder before bringing it down

The ds2 roll feels like the animation starts up to fast to me. You're just suddenly on the ground tumbling. It's probably how we detect the movement, the Stark vertical difference is throwing me off while the Swift horizontal change is sticking out to you.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

I liked most of DS2 and I certainly spent more time with it than DS1. The sole mechanic that made playing the game feel bad for me was Soul Memory. I know a few thousand lost souls isn't the end of the world but I hated the feeling that your character can be permanently punished/weakened by failing to retrieve souls or buying lots of weapons/items. I even sort of miss being able to reinforce armor items up to +5 or +10 or whatever, yeah sort of a pointless grind but it lets you "invest" into a certain fashion souls set. Removing it makes sense too though. It was also kind of cool that you could permanently de-spawn enemies after clearing them 12+ times, maybe it's easy mode but a good crutch for people that are repeatedly banging their head against an area.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
DS2 Drake Keepers is every other goddamn enemy in DS3.

Like DS3 has by far the most amount of rage inducing loving bullshit out of all the games but no apparently DS2 is the one where the dev team drank the meme difficulty kool aid.

Bloodborne gets really enraging in places too but manages to be a good game despite that because it has actually good atmosphere and fun combat.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Like what? AoA is what people say shrine is, while shrine is just the first stretch of Irithyl for longer.
But I think the base game is mostly fair.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The caster part of shrine of amana was stupid and I did not enjoy it.

CDHiggs
Dec 16, 2016

That night in Point Pleasant. Those red eyes Richard Gere would never forget.
I can see the typical DS2 bashing is starting up again. Say what you will, at least DS2 had a proper endgame, with different enemies and placements.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

dark souls 2 is the worst soulsborne game, but that's like picking out the worst harlem globetrotter. ds2 at its worst, fighting fire salamanders that spin like tops or infinite-stamina mace-wielding drakekeeper knights, is still better than 95% of games. thank you for your understanding in this matter

That's pretty much exactly my stance on it too. DS2 is the worst of the series for a lot of reasons but it still stands head and shoulders above any imitators and most action games in general.

CDHiggs posted:

I can see the typical DS2 bashing is starting up again. Say what you will, at least DS2 had a proper endgame, with different enemies and placements.

Yeah I don't think I can honestly say that any part of DS2 is worse than DS1's giant lava chamber full of dinosaur asses or the Bed of Chaos.

Mr. Baps fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jun 8, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I would have definitely been less salty about DS2's new brand of I-frames if I hadn't gone fresh from my first time beating DS1, to DS2, and wondering why the gently caress I couldn't dodge anything with a warrior anymore. Taking at face value all the ":lol: just learn 2 dodge!" dick swinging, and then eventually googling up that Warrior start comes with less I-frames than a DS1 fat roll. Please insert 20 levels into Adaptability to get back your Mid-roll Iframes.

Like, at least class starts being given joke stats and joke equipment is readily apparent for the most part (I was unironically excited to find DS3 cleric not only has PANTS, but also enough strength to one hand wield their starter weapon). Not so much one of the most integral survival mechanics in the series turning out to really and truly have an invisible handicap the whole time while the sterotypical Souls Gamer™ is too busy telling me it's 100% my fault and everything is 100% intuitive in game information (To be fair, that's never been true for any of the games).

Coming from a primarily blind as possible play of DS1, it was really loving jarring how much of my problems were down to that sort of thing, so even making it through areas and bosses the first shot without dying despite falling into a pit of acid and baslisks like a loving idiot just wasn't giving me the same wide eyed newbie satisfaction of "I beat Darksouls 1 literally this week, it's therefore impossible to have rose tinted glasses". Made all the more frustrating from how much cool poo poo I could clearly see DS2 getting very right even to my personal tastes.

Power stance was loving cool. Why would you get rid of that? So I can't ever say DS2 is a "Bad" game, with how much of it it still did great despite my burning out on it every time I've tried to pick it back up.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jun 8, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dark Souls 2 tying your i-frames to a stat was mind-bogglingly stupid. I have no idea how they thought that was acceptable for a game where i-frames are so important. And the way 3 adds even more stat bloat with Luck is just crappy. Bloodborne is good evidence that simplicity is the best option when it comes to player stats imo.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So if you've finished the Ringed City and Ashes of Ariandel DLC after New Game+ there's basically nothing left to do - is what I've heard, right?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Replay the game and try to do most of the NPC quest lines

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Grouchio posted:

So if you've finished the Ringed City and Ashes of Ariandel DLC after New Game+ there's basically nothing left to do - is what I've heard, right?

Well there's always trying a new build...or PvP :unsmigghh:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Dark Souls 2 tying your i-frames to a stat was mind-bogglingly stupid. I have no idea how they thought that was acceptable for a game where i-frames are so important. And the way 3 adds even more stat bloat with Luck is just crappy. Bloodborne is good evidence that simplicity is the best option when it comes to player stats imo.

Bloodborne has like six stats and it still managed to gently caress up builds something fierce by placing all the stuff you'd need for non STR/SKL builds past the half of the game, so I wouldn't argue it did particularly well.

I also think people overvalue the idea of i-frames, and it kinda ended up influencing From Software's design. I definitely don't see vanilla Dark Souls 1 and 2 (sans DLC) as games that *needed* dodge rolling (fast dodge rolling especially) to succeed.

That said, it probably would have been a good idea to eliminate or greatly simplified the weight load/rolling calculations if they were already gonna have iframes tied to a stat.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Grouchio posted:

The endless dodgefest that passes for PvP. Just bring an Estoc or the Dual Greatswords.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Walrus Pete posted:

Yeah I don't think I can honestly say that any part of DS2 is worse than DS1's giant lava chamber full of dinosaur asses or the Bed of Chaos.

I've always wondered about this. Just what the hell were they, just assets they had laying around used as filler? :psyduck:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Just an enemy they didn't have time to finish properly. Lost Izalith is where they ran out of time and had to cut a ton of corners.

Honesty I'm surprised Centipede Demon is such a decent fight considering how awful everything else there is.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So back to DS3 chat, as I meander through my replay I’m basically asking myself “Didn’t more enemies used to bounce off my normal shields more often?”

I just got my old friend the stone parma back, but I could have sworn in the past the spear and knife Gru’s started bouncing more attacks off me than compared to the lothric shield for example. Same two very speciffic attacks that the lothric shield causes recoil on, same for the stone parma. Go back to the high wall, the chump thief hollow's lunging overhand isn't recoiling off the stone parma same as the lothric shield, etc.

Am I just remembering the game being easier than it actually was/Stone parma being better than it was? Is it as good as my memory is telling me, but not until it's past +3? I could have sworn I got a noticeable "not as good as a greatshield, but better than my lothric shield" vibe for watching people bounce off me like idiots playing ages ago at launch. Rather than feeling nearly identical to the lothric knight shield except a slightly higher stability and weapon art over parry.

Maybe my lategame greatshield usage is coloring my memory. I dunno, my hazy memory is just really convinced this Stone Parma was a big loving deal when I found it the first time through. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm just entirely wrong, then and now.

EDIT: At least DS3 basilisks being comparative chumps to the older games is something I remembered accurately.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jun 8, 2017

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Chrysophylax posted:

I've always wondered about this. Just what the hell were they, just assets they had laying around used as filler? :psyduck:

Dragons are immortal, so even their severed body parts can still fight. you fight the top half of a dragon, makes sense to include the legs too. And where better to store them than a lake of lava where they can't get in the way?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Why do people even try to fight the Fire Salamanders? I just open the door near the Last Giant, do a mad dash towards the Brume Key , and then feck off. The salamanders never show up on any paths to a boss so I don't fault them for being bullshit.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Why do people even try to fight the Fire Salamanders? I just open the door near the Last Giant, do a mad dash towards the Brume Key , and then feck off. The salamanders never show up on any paths to a boss so I don't fault them for being bullshit.

They are there.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Chrysophylax posted:

Always thought they were the butts of the undead dragons, but I don't know why they are in Lost Izalith and why they're called Bounding Demons. Oh well.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Bloodborne has like six stats and it still managed to gently caress up builds something fierce by placing all the stuff you'd need for non STR/SKL builds past the half of the game, so I wouldn't argue it did particularly well.

I also think people overvalue the idea of i-frames, and it kinda ended up influencing From Software's design. I definitely don't see vanilla Dark Souls 1 and 2 (sans DLC) as games that *needed* dodge rolling (fast dodge rolling especially) to succeed.

That said, it probably would have been a good idea to eliminate or greatly simplified the weight load/rolling calculations if they were already gonna have iframes tied to a stat.

The games have steadily placed a higher and higher value on rolling as the series goes on. Dark Souls 2 added and emphasized several mechanics that take away your shield (dual wielding, the torch, most of the classes not even starting with a shield, et cetera), leaving rolling as your only option. Dark Souls 3 gives enemies crazy long attack combos that you can probably block most of but there's no way you could block all of. Also, a lot of enemies run and sprint as fast or faster than you do so they crowd you constantly to keep the pressure on. They've acknowledged that it's a pretty crucial game mechanic.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Id argue in ds3 the nerfs mostly went toward mid tier shields since greatshields still make the game pretty easy.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I don't know about bouncing off it but the stone parma's just a good shield all around. Stylish too! The Black Hand armor with the sellsword hat and the follower javelin's a pretty cool looking setup.

CJacobs posted:

Honestly with how leveling in BB is I think it would have been improved if you don't have levels at all, and instead of leveling up weapons you just find more blood gems or runes that have more drastic effects, like how armor in it is useless outside of certain ones giving jussst enough resistance in one stat or increasing a status bar.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jun 8, 2017

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm playing through DS2 again with a friend who just got it, it's funny how much Titanite Slabs the game throws at you compared to 1 or 3.
I'm pretty sure you can even get them from the crows. I've gotten at least 5 and we haven't even done the DLC yet.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I unironically miss a few key mechanics from two: powerstancing, being able to upgrade armor, and it handled being able to imbue weapons.

Things I do not miss:

Soul levels.

I also feel like DA2 had the best variety of weapons and armor but I can't confirm this.

Also it's NG+ was worth playing.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
I really loved DS1 and still do to this day. I don't play it anymore, but I'm getting the itch to do so.

I played the poo poo out of DS2 on PS3 and then on PC when released on that platform until right around the time the DLCs came out for it, and by that time I hated it so much that I couldn't stand to look at the title screen anymore. I remember distinctly the day DLC2 dropped, I was steeling myself to go through it because I'd paid for the season pass, and after dealing with some bullshit in the snow I just shut the game off and hadn't touched it since - other than one or two desultory attempts to play the SOTFS edition (which I had also inexplicably purchased - after swearing off DS2 forever since I hated it to the core) in which I'd not gotten past the Cardinal Tower before being consumed by hate. I'd also tried just playing a bit on PC, but somehow all of my characters were gone. I don't know if I actually uninstalled the game or not at some point, but unlike DS1 my characters didn't save to Steam Cloud - maybe they were supposed to, maybe they weren't; I dunno.

No point in going into why I hated DS2 by the end of my time with it; it's the same reasons everyone else who hated DS2 has/had.

Bloodborne was very enjoyable but I played it through exactly once and didn't do the DLC.

Dark Souls 3 was great for me, in that it was a big step back towards DS1 and away from DS2. I played about 400 hours, maybe a third of the time I put into DS2, playing it through several times with a bunch of different characters, and then I just quit playing - before any of the DLC, even - because I didn't want to end up hating it for all of the things that suck about it, and instead wanted to remember it fondly, like an old girlfriend that you knew would be a mistake to marry but was a lot of fun to date back in college.

And then yesterday, for some reason, I decided that I really, really wanted to play DS2 SOTFS. I don't know why. I can't explain it. All I know is that I played DS2 for the first time in like 2 years and played for 15 hours straight. And it was fun. Like, legit fun. The only real bummer was getting shot by ballistae and killed by co-op players 8 out of 13 times on the pursuer fight - but some things never change, I guess. I'd thought before that the changes they made to the game were terrible and that they just made the game "harder" for no reason, but after playing last night I see that this was not true, and the changes have so far been really good. There is still multiplayer going on; I don't even mind so much the dude with full Havel and dual Havel shields with the redeye ring doing co-op at the first boss. The NPC invasions have been good - better than the real invaders, who were just awful and hilarious - and taking a different route through the game has been very refreshing. So, I can reconcile with DS2. I'll certainly enjoy playing it through a few more times and don't feel like I hate it anymore.

As for DS3. . . I was quite happy to leave the game aside as one that I enjoyed but am finished with. I think I was really ready to quit because I think that the PVP portion is kind of useless and I didn't want to get bogged down in it. I did not buy the season pass for the game, but I'm wondering now if it's good and / or fun. Is it? Or would playing it just make me think the game is less fun than I remember it to be?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Glenn Quebec posted:

Also it's NG+ was worth playing.
I loved that concept when i first heard of it but was a bit let down by how little actually changed. I was hoping for a Platinum "entire game has new enemy placement and mixtures" twist, maybe even a new boss move or three, but i guess someone at FROM did the math and was like "are you crazy, only like 3-5% of players bother with ng+, thats not worth re-designing/testing the entire game again".

Scholars at least was a bit like what i originally expected from NG+ and added a bunch of new red phantoms though.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I'd really love some sort of obscene enemy randomizer.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Surge has that. NG+ in that game plops down a bunch of new enemies throughout the whole game who are wearing completely randomized equipment and weapons and they will gently caress your day up.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Is the Surge any good? Been hearing mixed reviews about it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's very good. Interesting world and unique combat with the usual Souls-esque game level design intricacy. Lots of weapon variety and no reliance on gating the game's difficulty behind what level your character is.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

There is still multiplayer going on; I don't even mind so much the dude with full Havel and dual Havel shields with the redeye ring doing co-op at the first boss.
That's an npc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

CJacobs posted:

It's very good. Interesting world and unique combat with the usual Souls-esque game level design intricacy. Lots of weapon variety and no reliance on gating the game's difficulty behind what level your character is.

"interesting world"

Its the most generic looking scifi game ever.