Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Kenny Logins posted:

I've been listening to back eps of Scumbag and is it just me or does Felix say "so-loph-ist" when he should be saying solipsist. Is this like an ironic "should of" thing with him?

No, but Will's pronunciation of "rather" really grinds my gears!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

ham_sanitizer posted:

hey guys do you think the "dry boys" ever posted on the something awful forums

MODS

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

There are essentially two ways to go about making a superhero movie. You can make a “superhero” movie, (Christopher Nolan’s Batman films or Bryan Singer’s Superman) which takes the tropes, symbols and larger-than-life characters of the comic book universe seriously, analyzing the semiotics and psychology of superheroes and the culture that produces them. Or, you can say screw that egghead stuff and make a SUPERHERO movie, (John Favreau’s Iron Man or Richard Donner’s Superman) focusing on the technicolor spectacle that is the essential justification for the genre and leave the parsing of subtext to film critics and American Studies majors.

People interested in crowning a “greatest ever” superhero movie are really looking for a film that combines the two approaches to form the ultimate: a “SUPERHERO” movie. Whether such a beast is even possible is up for debate. Many people have claimed that The Dark Knight embodies the synthesis, but it really doesn’t. Are the action scenes (except for that kickass truck crash) on anyone’s list of the twenty most memorable things about that film? As great as it is, TDK is a pure “superhero” movie. Other films, like Ang Lee’s Hulk, attempt the synthesis and fail miserably.

The triumph of Joss Whedon’s Avengers is that it never wavers in it’s commitment to delivering the titanic action pageantry and iconic superhero personalities that drew us all to these characters when we were not-yet-jaded youngsters. And that’s why The Avengers is the best SUPERHERO movie of all time.

If The Avengers were just a string of high-octane action scenes, it would already claim the throne, but what makes this movie truly extraordinary is the attention paid to the characters. Considering that Iron Man, Thor, Captain America and the Hulk have all carried entire films by themselves, the main danger of a film featuring them all is that they might just blend together into one Uberhero. But Joss Whedon masterfully avoids this pitfall by focusing on the very different ways that each of these characters views their role as a superhero. For Bruce Banner, it’s a curse. For Steve Rogers, it’s a duty. For Thor Odinson, it’s a birthright. And for Tony Stark it’s a chance to have fun and show people just how awesome he is. These divergent visions of superheroism not only help the characters stand out from one another, they also create the interpersonal friction that sparks the kind of glorious intramural smackdowns that will thrill anyone who made their action figures fight each other as a kid.

By focusing on delivering core comic book thrills, by vividly representing a group of indelible superhero characters that have been painstakingly reintroduced to moviegoers over the past decade, by taking the time to shape relationships and conflicts sharply and efficiently, and by delivering a monumental finale of smashing and crashing that could have been pulled directly for a fanboy’s cream dream, Joss Whedon and company have made the finest SUPERHERO film to date. Until the sequel, at least.

review by Matt Christman

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

There are essentially two ways to go about making a superhero movie. You can make a “superhero” movie, (Christopher Nolan’s Batman films or Bryan Singer’s Superman) which takes the tropes, symbols and larger-than-life characters of the comic book universe seriously, analyzing the semiotics and psychology of superheroes and the culture that produces them. Or, you can say screw that egghead stuff and make a SUPERHERO movie, (John Favreau’s Iron Man or Richard Donner’s Superman) focusing on the technicolor spectacle that is the essential justification for the genre and leave the parsing of subtext to film critics and American Studies majors.

People interested in crowning a “greatest ever” superhero movie are really looking for a film that combines the two approaches to form the ultimate: a “SUPERHERO” movie. Whether such a beast is even possible is up for debate. Many people have claimed that The Dark Knight embodies the synthesis, but it really doesn’t. Are the action scenes (except for that kickass truck crash) on anyone’s list of the twenty most memorable things about that film? As great as it is, TDK is a pure “superhero” movie. Other films, like Ang Lee’s Hulk, attempt the synthesis and fail miserably.

The triumph of Joss Whedon’s Avengers is that it never wavers in it’s commitment to delivering the titanic action pageantry and iconic superhero personalities that drew us all to these characters when we were not-yet-jaded youngsters. And that’s why The Avengers is the best SUPERHERO movie of all time.

If The Avengers were just a string of high-octane action scenes, it would already claim the throne, but what makes this movie truly extraordinary is the attention paid to the characters. Considering that Iron Man, Thor, Captain America and the Hulk have all carried entire films by themselves, the main danger of a film featuring them all is that they might just blend together into one Uberhero. But Joss Whedon masterfully avoids this pitfall by focusing on the very different ways that each of these characters views their role as a superhero. For Bruce Banner, it’s a curse. For Steve Rogers, it’s a duty. For Thor Odinson, it’s a birthright. And for Tony Stark it’s a chance to have fun and show people just how awesome he is. These divergent visions of superheroism not only help the characters stand out from one another, they also create the interpersonal friction that sparks the kind of glorious intramural smackdowns that will thrill anyone who made their action figures fight each other as a kid.

By focusing on delivering core comic book thrills, by vividly representing a group of indelible superhero characters that have been painstakingly reintroduced to moviegoers over the past decade, by taking the time to shape relationships and conflicts sharply and efficiently, and by delivering a monumental finale of smashing and crashing that could have been pulled directly for a fanboy’s cream dream, Joss Whedon and company have made the finest SUPERHERO film to date. Until the sequel, at least.

review by Matt Christman

:eyepop:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

review by Matt Christman

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
1.5k ratings lol Jesus Christ

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Die Sexmonster! posted:

No, but Will's pronunciation of "rather" really grinds my gears!
Noticed that too but I grew up with a dad that pronounced it "Chi-cargo" so

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
1.5 stars for dredd :lol: christman you dipshit

no but seriously apologize

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Dredd is bad actually

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Henchman of Santa posted:

Dredd is bad actually

mods

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
IF that's Matt's review of The Avengers, he sure as poo poo didn't get woke to analyzing neoliberal ideology in movies until fairly recently.

Plus that movie is shot like utter crap, what the gently caress.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
This new ep is about the morbid piss dungeon that is Texas legislature and is thus good

Serf
May 5, 2011

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

review by Matt Christman

holy poo poo

i need to rewatch avengers sometime. movie owns

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Serf posted:

holy poo poo

i need to rewatch avengers sometime. movie owns

i was not really a fan the first time i saw it but it holds up remarkably well on repeat viewings

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
Caleb noooooo

https://twitter.com/futurecanon/status/872508940248023042

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

Speaking of Caleb...

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

the fact that they don't know much about UK politics and always interview an american journalist who isn't that interested makes these a bit weak but it was all worth it for Matt's sinn fein dreamscape

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/LibidoDominandi/status/872681746764058628

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Antares posted:

the fact that they don't know much about UK politics and always interview an american journalist who isn't that interested makes these a bit weak but it was all worth it for Matt's sinn fein dreamscape

I honestly think it's more likely than he imagines. Abstentionism isn't based on an objection to taking an oath to the queen (though that isn't exactly something they relish the thought of), it's a rejection of the authority of organs of the British state over Ireland. Given that Sinn Fein have already taken their seats in Stormont, there's really very little in the way of principles standing between them and Westminster. It's essentially a tactical decision.

Bryter fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jun 8, 2017

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Mr. Lobe posted:

It's actually astonishing how much Felix is able to extrapolate generally into world knowledge from just the details surrounding those 3 topics.

You can triangulate anything with 2 or 3 good viewpoints.

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.

Ahahhaahahaaaaa holy poo poo what does God have against K Eichenwald?
This much self-ownage has to be, like, divine intervention

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

aaaaaaaaaaahahahahaha no loving way

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

CARL MARK FORCE IV posted:

Ahahhaahahaaaaa holy poo poo what does God have against K Eichenwald?
This much self-ownage has to be, like, divine intervention

:five:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Moist von Lipwig posted:

aaaaaaaaaaahahahahaha no loving way

came in here to post that. there's no fukken bottom.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Not even going incognito, true alpha move.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

I'm loving gobsmacked

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
https://twitter.com/gabberghoul/status/872693281976668160

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
i can't even handle this, i've a head full of acid and eichenwald sharing his hentai tab is too loving surreal for me

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

my friend, we are living in the zone

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
I feel like acid would've better equipped me to handle this

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Mr. Lobe posted:

my friend, we are living in the zone

Quote this for a hundred pages holy poo poo

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers
How long until "Kurt's wife" announces that the hentai was in a tab she left open?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Bryter posted:

How long until "Kurt's wife" announces that the hentai was in a tab she left open?

What if she is the hentai he left open?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
mods namechange me to KURT'S WAIFU thanks

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

review by Matt Christman

Wow removing all caps sure improves Film Crit Hulk!

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Can someone post what the tabs say for those of us with poor monitor resolution?
Edit: never mind, got it to work on the original image. That's a hell of a thing.

Paladin fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jun 8, 2017

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Kurt Ecchiwald

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Kurt actually sold his doujin collection at his weird sale thing and is trying to switch to digital do not mock him.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Goddammit Matt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

haha eichenwald is casually lookin at hentai and matt continues to be the best chapo

today already owns