Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Michael Scott posted:

Wait what? Lyft has a difference business model than Uber how?
For one, Uber is too fixated on autonomous vehicles for their own good, which is why they's taking losses at such a rate that they only have about a year and a half of cash left before they Chapter 7. They also have very lackluster management that does lovely things, which is true of many companies that explode in size.

AV is more of a side project for Lyft. Instead of trying to eliminate the driver, they're trying to find more work for them to do by targeting niche opportunities, which generates more profit. In Florida, we're seeing Lyft partner more and more with rural transit agencies, making small towns like Port St Lucie viable for Lyft drivers. If you're a transot operator in a small town, it doesn't make sense to run buses after 6 PM. Waaaaay too expensive... costs $20+ or more per rider to provide latenite service. Well, what about that guy without a car that needs to come home from work at 10 PM? Instead of running buses at 10 PM at night, the transit agency just pays $5 dollars of their Lyft fare. Lyft drivers get a large fare, especially for longer trips, Lyft itself makes more money, and the transit agency saves a boatload of money and can try to make daytime service better.

Lyft is also heavily jumping on the paratransit bandwagon. For example, transit in St Petersburg pays part of the trip cost for paratransit users on Lyft.

Uber's jumping on this bandwagon as well (they have to, if the want to stay in business), but Lyft has a pretty big lead and better connections from not trying to burn transit agencies in years past.

Varance fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

no go on Quiznos posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMHAc6ziM5A

Can anyone tell me the point of this setup? It seems to do the exact same function as the vertical-doghouse signal it replaced.

Someone hit a pedestrian there and now they feel it's necessary to give an extra warning to idiots who turn without looking for peds.

Of course in the Netherlands a situation like this wouldn't really occur. Pedestrians would never get a walk signal at the same time there's any traffic over the crossing, from any side.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

Of course in the Netherlands a situation like this wouldn't really occur. Pedestrians would never get a walk signal at the same time there's any traffic over the crossing, from any side.

Yeah that would definitely never happen

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Rotterdam isn't even a real place.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Victoria got a fairly ok protected bike lane with lovely unadaptable intersections but one of the big thing was it has a RIGHT TURN SIGNAL. There's a special lane for turning right now, and drivers can not figure it out. They spent like a month with city staff standing on the corner holding "NO RIGHT ON RED" signs and waving at people, because the huge "NO RIGHT ON RED" signs under the signal for that lane wasn't enough. Now they're finally giving tickets to people who do and drivers are in a tizzy about the war on cars. It's apparently the first time there's been a setup like this in BC and people have created this meme that the setup is "illegal" and "There's nothing in the motor vehicle act to support this so you don't have to obey the signal and can fight the ticket!"

It's like loving free men on the land but with traffic signals. Cars going their own way!

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Carbon dioxide posted:

Rotterdam isn't even a real place.

Is The Hague real?
This is a incredibly common type of crossing all over the country.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

no go on Quiznos posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMHAc6ziM5A

Can anyone tell me the point of this setup? It seems to do the exact same function as the vertical-doghouse signal it replaced.
We've gotten a few "flashing yellow arrow on permissive left" signals here in MA, and the general consensus among my friends was "we've already got a signal for that: a green ball." That said, I have finally seen a location where the flashing arrow was useful. https://www.google.com/maps/place/G...5!4d-71.0544979 At this intersection I've seen (I think) the left from Gallivan EB onto Adams have a flashing arrow while through traffic on Gallivan EB had a red and Gallivan WB had a green for through traffic and a green arrow for the left onto Granite Ave.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
We have a number of intersections around here that they got rid of the permissive lefts. They just show Red Arrow on the left, while straight has a Green Ball. It would be nicer as Flashing-Yellow Arrows instead of Red Arrows at night.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

NihilismNow posted:

Is The Hague real?
This is a incredibly common type of crossing all over the country.

Yes it is. Then I was wrong.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Victoria got a fairly ok protected bike lane with lovely unadaptable intersections but one of the big thing was it has a RIGHT TURN SIGNAL. There's a special lane for turning right now, and drivers can not figure it out. They spent like a month with city staff standing on the corner holding "NO RIGHT ON RED" signs and waving at people, because the huge "NO RIGHT ON RED" signs under the signal for that lane wasn't enough. Now they're finally giving tickets to people who do and drivers are in a tizzy about the war on cars. It's apparently the first time there's been a setup like this in BC and people have created this meme that the setup is "illegal" and "There's nothing in the motor vehicle act to support this so you don't have to obey the signal and can fight the ticket!"

It's like loving free men on the land but with traffic signals. Cars going their own way!

I looked at some pictures and it seems like it's the same setup you find in a bunch of places in Vancouver. How long did it take people there to figure out the concept?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Interesting traffic control signs from Denver:

NO DOUBLE TURN

NO RIGHT ON RED
(much smaller)
WHEN PEDESTRIANS ARE PRESENT

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

http://www.nctcog.org/trans/sustdev/bikeped/workshops/documents/10_DPS201_Curb_Extension.pdf

Nice little guide on curb extensions with a lot of data and pictures.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Baronjutter posted:

Must be old people. There are several "no right turn on red" intersections in downtown Vancouver, mostly to protect bike lanes I think. I hear tons of talk on both sides of the bike lane issue, but people having trouble with no right turn on red doesn't seem to be part of it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Right Turn On Red is prohibited by default all over New York City, each intersection where it's allowed needs a special sign up to allow it.

Used to be prohibited all over the Eastern United State before the 70s gas crisis.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

fishmech posted:

Right Turn On Red is prohibited by default all over New York City, each intersection where it's allowed needs a special sign up to allow it.

Used to be prohibited all over the Eastern United State before the 70s gas crisis.

Actually you'll find those rules under colour of law and unless the signal has a gold fringe you are simply "traveling right" rather than "turning" right and the state has no right to fine you the private person, only the all-caps legal identity with the same name. Don't block the box? I haven't not even consented to rejoined with the box.

Free cars on the land.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost
Florida's first DDI, and the largest in the United States. Go big or go home, and always leave room in the middle of the Interstate for future express toll lanes.

Interchange in the pic: https://www.google.com/maps/@27.3937149,-82.4493519,6060m/data=!3m1!1e3

Source with more pics: https://twitter.com/8_plamison/status/866614124511416324

Varance fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 12, 2017

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
That's really cool. Do you know if they've had any issues with it yet?

SC is getting its first one at I-77 & Gold Hill Blvd, just south of Charlotte in a couple years. We're currently looking at a few alternatives that include DDI's around Charleston that might be built in the next decade.

I really need to go find one nearby and take a ride. I'm curious to see how they work in reality.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

pkells posted:

That's really cool. Do you know if they've had any issues with it yet?

SC is getting its first one at I-77 & Gold Hill Blvd, just south of Charlotte in a couple years. We're currently looking at a few alternatives that include DDI's around Charleston that might be built in the next decade.

I really need to go find one nearby and take a ride. I'm curious to see how they work in reality.

Nothing major yet. The newness of the arrangement and heavy law enforcement presence during the construction phase is keeping speeds in check and attention on the road.

All eyes are on this one, as this is an "ultimate" configuration. The interchange is purposely overbuilt beyond 2050 capacity projections to see just how much traffic you can really push through a DDI without grade separating the crossovers.

Florida has a fetish for throwing around the term Ultimate - purposely overbuilding expressways to try to keep ahead of the never-ending wave of growth the state is in the middle of. This, of course, expensive as hell to do, so the state is waaaaaay behind on some roads and prevents meaningful investments in public transit infrastructure that the big cities want.

Varance fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 12, 2017

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
i see florida is continuing their quest to have the nations biggest interchange

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

i see florida is continuing their quest to have the nations biggest interchange
Just wait until you see our turbine within a turbine...

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

smackfu posted:

Interesting traffic control signs from Denver:

NO DOUBLE TURN

NO RIGHT ON RED
(much smaller)
WHEN PEDESTRIANS ARE PRESENT

Wait, so you are allowed to turn on red when pedestrians are not present? Doesn't that completely undermine the point of it being red? Just put in pedestrian detection so that you don't have pointless reds.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Lobsterpillar posted:

Wait, so you are allowed to turn on red when pedestrians are not present? Doesn't that completely undermine the point of it being red? Just put in pedestrian detection so that you don't have pointless reds.

I don't see how it does? The crossing street has cars that need to get across the main street after all.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Lobsterpillar posted:

:shobon:

Rights on Red are after stopping, and by default in most (all?) US jurisdictions are legal.

"No Right Turn on Red" signs override that in areas where making a right turn on red after stop would be dangerous. For example, if it's near a school zone, or there is limited sight distance for the turning cars.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
I think it's annoying when there are No Turn On Red signs in intersections with light cross traffic, clear perpendicular visibility and few pedestrians. Happens a lot in Chicago. Does it make me a dick if I run them?

I always make sure no one has to brake for me when I enter traffic.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Michael Scott posted:

I think it's annoying when there are No Turn On Red signs in intersections with light cross traffic, clear perpendicular visibility and few pedestrians. Happens a lot in Chicago. Does it make me a dick if I run them?

I always make sure no one has to brake for me when I enter traffic.
My general principle of the road is no harm, no foul. If you don't negatively impact others' experience any more than is inherent to your reasonable use of the road IMO you probably didn't do anything worth complaining about.

That said I wouldn't make it a habit of running NTOR intersections with good visibility unless it's really good, the cops tend to hang out around those intersections looking for easy tickets.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

wolrah posted:

My general principle of the road is no harm, no foul. If you don't negatively impact others' experience any more than is inherent to your reasonable use of the road IMO you probably didn't do anything worth complaining about.

That said I wouldn't make it a habit of running NTOR intersections with good visibility unless it's really good, the cops tend to hang out around those intersections looking for easy tickets.

I don't think they're legal anywhere in the U.K, red always means stop.

In other news TFL published their most recent cycling analysis and we're up to 670,000 journeys a day apparently. They've had to develop new tools as apparently the traditional models they use don't adequately account for cyclists.

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/strategic-cycling-analysis.pdf

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Sri.Theo posted:

I don't think they're legal anywhere in the U.K, red always means stop.

Jeremy Clarkson tells me you're probably right.

Here no turn on red is the exception rather than the rule. Right on red is allowed by default in almost all of the US, as well as Canada and Mexico. In most states you can even turn left on red in certain situations involving one-way roads. It seems we're the odd ones though, according to wiki outside of North America the list of countries allowing curb lane turns on red is just Costa Rica, China, and Thailand.

I feel I'd end up getting a ticket pretty quickly if I traveled to Europe because right on red is entirely automatic to me.

I can definitely see how turning on red isn't great for pedestrians though.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
^^^^^^
As a frequent cyclist and ped, I disagree. While it could be in theory, it allows cars to turn right when the conditions allow rather than just a light. You'll get into situations where a parallel crosswalk can be full for essentially all of the green cycle, meaning few cars can turn right. This can lead to aggressive driving. This allow cars an extra opportunity to turn and reduces the urge to get the turn done before the light changes. This assumes that cars pay attention to peds, but in the reasonably urban area where I live and work, they're generally expected.
OTOH, bicyclists still aren't expected which creates fun conflicts. Right on red sucks as a cyclist if you are in a bike lane. Drivers will more ferequently pull out in front of you when you have a green because you will be obscured by parked cars (and them just not looking for a cyclist). It can also create conflicts where cars will attempt to turn right on red in front and around of a cyclist (this is illegal, FYI) just before the light changes creating a right hook.

Right on red is good and correct, however, because gently caress waiting at long lights. Particularly as a cyclist on a hot day.

nm fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 17, 2017

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

nm posted:

^^^^^^
As a frequent cyclist and ped, I disagree. While it could be in theory, it allows cars to turn right when the conditions allow rather than just a light. You'll get into situations where a parallel crosswalk can be full for essentially all of the green cycle, meaning few cars can turn right. This can lead to aggressive driving. This allow cars an extra opportunity to turn and reduces the urge to get the turn done before the light changes. This assumes that cars pay attention to peds, but in the reasonably urban area where I live and work, they're generally expected.
OTOH, bicyclists still aren't expected which creates fun conflicts. Right on red sucks as a cyclist if you are in a bike lane. Drivers will more ferequently pull out in front of you when you have a green because you will be obscured by parked cars (and them just not looking for a cyclist). It can also create conflicts where cars will attempt to turn right on red in front and around of a cyclist (this is illegal, FYI) just before the light changes creating a right hook.

Right on red is good and correct, however, because gently caress waiting at long lights. Particularly as a cyclist on a hot day.

As a cyclist, the thing to do is get hit by the turning car. The car driver will be held responsible, and they will probably never make the same mistake at all. This is the only way to educate drivers.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Right on red sounds like a good way to kill unsuspecting pedestrians and cyclists.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Jeoh posted:

Right on red sounds like a good way to kill unsuspecting pedestrians and cyclists.

Over a year ago now they started allowing LTOR (Left Turn On Red, because we drive on the left) at intersections with traffic signals in Perth, Western Australia. In the beginning people who weren't paying attention whilst crossing (Read: staring at their loving phones) did freak out when they looked up and saw a car moving towards them however AFAIK there were now major accidents. Pedestrians have right-of-way as long as the crossing light is green so no one really cares anymore.

In the inner CBD of Sydney, New South Wales they've had LTOR for taxis and buses at signalled intersections for years now. When I first went there for work in 2010 I almost got run-over twice because loving taxi drivers. You get used to it after a while though.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Jeoh posted:

You still stop at the red light. You have to yield to cross traffic and part of looking around means you're gonna see any pedestrians or bikes. Hitting someone in a crosswalk is still on the car even if it's a legal turn.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Carbon dioxide posted:

As a cyclist, the thing to do is get hit by the turning car. The car driver will be held responsible, and they will probably never make the same mistake at all. This is the only way to educate drivers.

This got me 6 months of physical therapy. gently caress that.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Jeoh posted:

Are your lights generally not green the same time as the parallel crossing signal?

Peanut President posted:

You still stop at the red light. You have to yield to cross traffic and part of looking around means you're gonna see any pedestrians or bikes. Hitting someone in a crosswalk is still on the car even if it's a legal turn.
People generally look to the left before turning right. Checking the right blind spot for pedestrians and bikes is not a habit drivers have.

Carbon dioxide posted:

The car driver will be held responsible
Hahahahahahah :suicide:

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 17, 2017

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

nm posted:

This got me 6 months of physical therapy. gently caress that.

Yeah that is extremely dumb. There are a lot of 'correct' people in emergency rooms and morgues.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

cheese-cube posted:

Over a year ago now they started allowing LTOR (Left Turn On Red, because we drive on the left) at intersections with traffic signals in Perth, Western Australia. In the beginning people who weren't paying attention whilst crossing (Read: staring at their loving phones) did freak out when they looked up and saw a car moving towards them however AFAIK there were now major accidents. Pedestrians have right-of-way as long as the crossing light is green so no one really cares anymore.

In the inner CBD of Sydney, New South Wales they've had LTOR for taxis and buses at signalled intersections for years now. When I first went there for work in 2010 I almost got run-over twice because loving taxi drivers. You get used to it after a while though.
Still not as good as glorious Melbourne hook turns:
https://youtu.be/0LXUirRYMwk
https://youtu.be/qoUPGLn38-A

Helps keep trams moving as turning traffic won't be sitting on the tramtracks.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

CopperHound posted:

People generally look to the left before turning right. Checking the right blind spot for pedestrians and bikes is not a habit drivers have.

It is if you live in a country that allows turning right on red.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Peanut President posted:

It is if you live in a country that allows turning right on red.

Nah, I live in a north american city with very strong pedestrian "culture" and packed sidewalks and even downtown I'm constantly almost hit by idiots turning right on a red and just not looking, bikes are constantly hit this way too. They don't stop or even slow down they just look left, see and opening in the traffic, and gun it then slam on their breaks and give you a dirty look. Or they absolutely do see you and try to bully their way through knowing enforcement and the laws are very much on the car's side and they'll "win" any physical confrontation so they just sort of slowly drive through the crosswalk while the "walk" signal is on and suddenly think they have the right to push people out of the way once it's flashing. As a good pedestrian I don't start to cross the road when the signal is flashing but cars don't suddenly get to push me out or get mad if I'm still physically in the crosswalk while it's flashing.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Michael Scott posted:

Yeah that is extremely dumb. There are a lot of 'correct' people in emergency rooms and morgues.

For the record, mine was not intentional in any way. I don't recommend getting hit by a loving car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Baronjutter posted:

Nah, I live in a north american city with very strong pedestrian "culture" ... I'm constantly almost hit by idiots

So you don't live in a city with a very strong "pedestrian culture".