Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Hat
Sep 24, 2008

Was looking for Sano's latest homer, found this instead:

Paul Goldschmidt hustles in to field a bunt down the first-base line and nearly scoops up a bird in his glove that was resting on the field

http://mediadownloads.mlb.com/mlbam/mp4/2017/06/07/1472395283/1496816966099/asset_1800K.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Went to the Yankees game tonight, my friend's girlfriend gets really good seats in the 200 through work. After some shittalking of Chris Carter, I'm sitting there telling my friend about how Ice Fist is coming to town for the Brewers series. Guy in the row in front of me who was ribbing Carter with me asks if I already got tickets, so I tell him no, I was just gonna get them seek of on StubHub.

Dude offers to just sell me his season tickets for the seats he's in, face value. Then gives me his e-mail and says with a week's notice he's willing to sell 'em whenever.

So I think I've got "a guy" now? Either way, it was cool.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
The Astros officially can't win the Royals series, so they've won every series this season except the two against the Indians and the two against the Royals

gently caress both those teams :mad:

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

YEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!

Also, that Goldschmidt bird thing is hilarious and I'm glad Bob Brenly got to call such an amazing event.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
:siren: THE MARINERS ARE BACK AT .500 ON THE BACK OF LITERALLY MIKE ZUNINO :siren:

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Some Numbers posted:

:siren: THE MARINERS ARE BACK AT .500 ON THE BACK OF LITERALLY MIKE ZUNINO :siren:

That dong had me literally shaking

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Reminder: Dave Dombrowski flipped Edwin Jackson for Max Scherzer.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Reminder that Edwin Jackson pitched in Starburg's spot in the 2012 playoffs

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Addison Russell's wife decided to take to instagram last night during the game to send him a little message about their marriage.

http://thebiglead.com/2017/06/07/addison-russell-wife-melisa-reidy-cheating-instagram/

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Addison Russell's wife waiting for him when he comes home, showing him the GDT and asking why a dozen different people are calling him their daddy

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

Intruder posted:

The Astros officially can't win the Royals series, so they've won every series this season except the two against the Indians and the two against the Royals

I am sorry your team is only playing .700 ball :(

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Intruder posted:

Thus confirming my theory that the AL central is actually a good division and the teams only look like trash because we beat up on each other so hard.

Yeah... That's gotta be it :smithicide:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm starting to get tentatively excited about the Royals. Also the Astros are really good.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

bewbies posted:

I'm starting to get tentatively excited about the Royals.

Yeah...don't.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
we're looking at a decade of futility after this season, ride the horse while it is still (barely) alive

NetflixAndRichHill
May 11, 2017

New Concept Hole posted:

Reminder that Edwin Jackson pitched in Starburg's spot in the 2012 playoffs

I don't even remember him being on the Nats. Then again, he's pitched for like 15 different teams since Tampa traded him.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Addison Russell's wife decided to take to instagram last night during the game to send him a little message about their marriage.

http://thebiglead.com/2017/06/07/addison-russell-wife-melisa-reidy-cheating-instagram/

Allegedly it's more than just cheating.

God drat it, Addy :mad:

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/umpires-are-having-some-trouble-with-aaron-judge/

quote:

This season, 41% of pitches on the lower edge and just below the strike zone are being called as strikes against Judge (75 called strikes of 183 pitches in examined location). For MLB hitters as a whole, it’s a 24.3% rate (9,300 called strikes of 38,193 pitches in examined location).

Imagine how much better he would be with a regular strike zone.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Oy vey

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ihatepants posted:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/umpires-are-having-some-trouble-with-aaron-judge/

Imagine how much better he would be with a regular strike zone.

He's already make strides in the K% and pitch recognition departments (which is unsurprising), I think adjusting to the low zone calls is going to be his next big project for this season.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

im the article mentioning his poor stats this year as though to give permission to cubs fans to turn on him

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

I hope it's not true, but if it is, gently caress him. Trade him and put Baez or Happ at SS.

He never pegged me as a wife beater. Goes to show you how well I can judge character.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 8, 2017

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Also how do you cheat on that? drat.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

Intruder posted:

I, a Royals fan, am fine with this

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Your Taint posted:

Also how do you cheat on that? drat.

I'm reminded of a quote from Ball Four when the team is getting back from a road trip and at the top of the stairs one of the players looks back at everyone and says something to the effect "ok guys, remember to act horny"

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
:toxx: If the domestic violence allegations about Russell turn out to be true and the Cubs don't immediately get rid of him in response, I will take applications for a new team to root for.

I'm not rooting for another wife beater. I'd rather root for Ryan loving Braun.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Son of a bitch.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Sydin posted:

:toxx: If the domestic violence allegations about Russell turn out to be true and the Cubs don't immediately get rid of him in response, I will take applications for a new team to root for.

Theo and Co seem to be big on character, but then again they traded for Chapman so...

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

quote:

KANSAS CITY -- The Astros have called up right-handed pitcher Francis Martes, ranked as their No. 1 prospect according MLBPipeline.com, a source confirmed for MLB.com. Martes is expected to help the Houston's beleaguered bullpen in a long-relief role.

Martes was scratched from his scheduled start for Triple-A Fresno on Wednesday night. Martes, 21, hasn't pitched well this year at Fresno, going 0-2 with a 5.29 ERA in eight starts. In 32 1/3 innings, he's allowed 40 hits, 28 walks, five homers and struck out 38 batters. He has a 2.10 WHIP and opponents are hitting .299 against him.

That doesn't really sound like a guy who will be much help (2.10 WHIP jesus)

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Sydin posted:

root for the south siders :unsmigghh:

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Sydin posted:

Has any team ever immediately released a player in a situation like this? Or, if/when a player has admitted it?

The Mariners suspended Julio Mateo and then optioned him to AAA when he was charged with domestic assault, but that's the closest I can remember. He never pitched in the majors again, but he wasn't exactly released either.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Tony Phillips posted:

Has any team ever immediately released a player in a situation like this? Or, if/when a player has admitted it?

The Mariners suspended Julio Mateo and then optioned him to AAA when he was charged with domestic assault, but that's the closest I can remember. He never pitched in the majors again, but he wasn't exactly released either.

The closest I can think of is Colorado and Reyes. They didn't release him immediately, but they did very quickly start looking for trade partners and, when they couldn't find any, got rid of him even though they had to eat his $30m+ contract. I guess I should amend to say they should at least immediately start putting the wheels in motion to dump him.

John Wilkes Booth posted:

root for the south siders :unsmigghh:

I'd actually probably be okay with this since the current iteration of the ChiSox looks young and fun, except for the fact that my immediate family would probably disown me on the spot. :v:

Hopefully at least the abuse part of the allegations turn out to be not true.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Sydin posted:

that's a lot of faith in what is, at its core, a business that would hurt its bottom line by dropping a player who could help them win :(

like, not following teams because they have lovely people on them is certainly noble, but you'd be left with no team to root for. the same goes for watching movies or listening to music :(

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Obviously every team has it's shitters, it's just hard in general to assemble a group of 25 people who are all shining beacons of human virtue. I can put up with lovely people, see Exhibit A John Lackey. I can for the most part disassociate players on the field from who they are personally, but for me domestic abuse crosses a line where I can no longer do that.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

fast cars loose anus posted:

That doesn't really sound like a guy who will be much help (2.10 WHIP jesus)

He's really good but has had a rough start to the season and really has had a rough start every time he's moved up a level. He's also only 21 though

The funny thing is he was the lottery ticket they got in the Cosart trade

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Tony Phillips posted:

If there's one thing I appreciate about the Mariners it's they get rid of toxic players pretty quickly, sans Josh Lueke because Jack Z had to save face on that terrible trade.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

This is a bad news break just before the draft:

Luke Heimlich sex crime surfaces as Oregon State baseball nears College World Series

e: fixed

kensei fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 8, 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Hotdog In A Hallway posted:

I am sorry your team is only playing .700 ball :(

Kindly wait until the Astros actually have a championship before pulling the "You can't whine about your successful team" card :colbert:

No one tells the Mariners fans they can't be upset about their team because of 2001!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Can't find a news link yet, but according to the At Bat app:

quote:

Astros to place LHP Dallas Keuchel on 10-day DL with lingering neck discomfort.
Translation: He slept wrong and cricked his neck again. :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Sydin posted:

The closest I can think of is Colorado and Reyes. They didn't release him immediately, but they did very quickly start looking for trade partners and, when they couldn't find any, got rid of him even though they had to eat his $30m+ contract. I guess I should amend to say they should at least immediately start putting the wheels in motion to dump him.

Even then, a lot of it had to do with the fact that Trevor Story was playing better than Reyes had been, so the Rockies had no on-field reason to hold on to him.

• Locked thread