Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starving Wolf
Apr 2, 2010

MUCH LATER
Yams Fan

CampingCarl posted:

Never Forget. :911:

We know about the Israeli attack on USS Liberty, but so little is known about the Liberty's secret ketchup cargo which then spilled overboard. Who were the Americans delivering this ketchup to? Why was LBJ making comments about the dryness of Egyptian burgers mere weeks before the attack? I'm just asking questions.

Starving Wolf fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jun 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Edward Penischin
Jun 5, 2008

Crabtree posted:

She could just choke him to death.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

Stupid media reporting what the president says.

I wish he would bring back the human head on Trump

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Is there some point to using the Disney version or Robin Hood, or is the cartoonist so poorly read that it's the only incarnation he's aware of?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Pants Donkey posted:

Is there some point to using the Disney version or Robin Hood, or is the cartoonist so poorly read that it's the only incarnation he's aware of?

Marlette's opinions are all over the map, kinda like that other cartoonist who is randomly defensive of Tromp, can't think of the name

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah while the right loves bashing Hillary for literally any reason, dubious treatment of prisoners is definitely not something they should be objecting to. The only people I can see really caring about this are leftists on the internet that want Hillary to vanish into the wilderness forever.

So you're saying the Rall comic is on its way?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Marlette's a centrist-ish Democrat. He supported Hillary over Bernie early in the primaries but after the conventions and "but her emails" became the big story he backed into "both candidates are bad" territory.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Cpt.Americant posted:

Is calling someone a cupcake an actual thing? I'm assuming it's meant to be like what "snowflake" but never heard it used like that.

urbandictionary isn't showing anything. I've only heard it as a sports term meaning an easy matchup. I guess the artist is just trying to say they're soft

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Cpt.Americant posted:

Is calling someone a cupcake an actual thing? I'm assuming it's meant to be like what "snowflake" but never heard it used like that.

little munchkin posted:

urbandictionary isn't showing anything. I've only heard it as a sports term meaning an easy matchup. I guess the artist is just trying to say they're soft

You've never heard of anyone saying 'toughen up, cupcake' in a mocking tone, or something similar?

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Prism posted:

You've never heard of anyone saying 'toughen up, cupcake' in a mocking tone, or something similar?
Even used in a movie we can all agree is a cultural touchstone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEvKu0SCNJU&t=107s

"Cupcake" is mainstream to the point where you can find it in regular dictionaries, Oxford Dictonaries for example has it as "A weak or effeminate man."

Pants Donkey posted:

Well, he does live in Florida, so Disney probably constitutes an oversized portion of his brain.

Rebel Blob fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 8, 2017

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Roland Jones posted:

Yeah, like stated, prison labor is literally legal slavery, so Hillary benefiting from it and not seeing problems from it is pretty hosed up, even if she's far from the only person to do so.

That said, I doubt it will become a big thing unless she does try to run again in 2020. Then it'll get used against her in the primaries. And the general if she somehow makes it to them, though I would not expect that.

I once worked as a manager for a warehouse company that had two locations. My location used regular workers, but the other location in the state next door used all prison labor. The owner constantly bitched about how my location had higher costs and overhead, and was too stupid to grasp that I was competing with slave labor.

I don't know what I'm going for with post. Just a memory you triggered. Maybe a metaphor for moving american factories to china for low labor or something.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
You think Russel Crowe or Kevin Costner would have been better? The fox is arguably the most well known depiction.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Prism posted:

i don't hang out with people who embrace toxic masculinity, so no :owned:

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Flaskraven posted:

Infowars had a very special guest on, Ben Garrison:
https://twitter.com/infowars/status/872219060192157696

Choice quote: My cartoons are a form of a visual rant.

Of course he wears the cowboy hat to the interview.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

Fulchrum posted:

You think Russel Crowe or Kevin Costner would have been better? The fox is arguably the most well known depiction.

But John Cleese is still the best.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Cary Elwes, who unlike some other Robin hood can speak with a British accent.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Rebel Blob posted:

Well, he does live in Florida, so Disney probably constitutes an oversized portion of his brain.

The two depictions that come to my mind first are the Disney cartoon and Cary Elwes.

River Crab
May 12, 2005

Perhaps a careful review of your options is in order.

loquacius posted:

This is an explicit exception to the Thirteenth Amendment, meaning that it is essentially legal slavery.

I hope this isn't something too minor to be pedantic about (and I apologize if it is), but I just completed a course on this at my university and technically this would fall under unfree labor instead of slavery. Slavery is a form of unfree labor, but so is indentured servitude. The important difference is that in slavery, a person is held as property by their master and has few (if any) legal protections, whereas in servitude a worker is not property, but is held to a contract by their employer (often also called a master) that they (theoretically) entered into willingly and they do have certain legal protections. In both cases, a worker is bound to their master and cannot leave until their term of service is complete (a length of service agreed upon in the contract for a servant; until death or emancipation for a slave). If I remember correctly, the 13th Amendment officially abolished all forms of slavery in the United States, but it still permitted other forms of unfree labor, including using prisoners as labor. By the time of the Civil War, all forms of unfree labor other than slavery had long been in decline and had nearly died out and free/wage/paid labor had been on the rise taking its place.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Pants Donkey posted:

I think he remembered the scene where half the townsfolk of Nottingham are locked up and kinda forgot that Robin Hood himself was not part of that roundup.

Or, maybe he just has a thing for anthropomorphism:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cloud Potato posted:

Mail:
MAC ON... Labour apologists for terror

I don't give a gently caress, Mac, this unironically rules and I want Corbyn and Abbot and whoever that other guy is going around shooting Tories with popguns and then apologizing for things

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

little munchkin posted:

this is a country where Joe Arpaio and David Clarke are celebrated. Any criticism of prisoner treatment will get met with "well maybe they shouldn't have committed crimes them" by the majority of voters.

It's sweet that you think they will have any cognitive dissonance whatsoever blaming Hillary for being the real racist while deciding whether to vote for Joe Arpaio in a primary challenge to Trump.

Meanwhile, in the funny pages, a little girl is beat up:

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Tobermory posted:

I feel like we could use a "worst doublethink" category this year.

Prism posted:

Biggest or Fastest 180, for cartoonists who thought one thing under Obama but have completely reversed their tone now that it's Trump.

Might have some overlap with doublethink but I'm thinking total flips of opinion more than opinions held in defiance of facts.
Would be kind of hard because you would need to supply a 'before' and 'after' cartoon.

Fulchrum posted:

I'd like to see "conservative cartoon that doesn't use hypocrisy or deliberate stupidity", just to see if we can find any that qualify.
Why do you ask for the impossible?

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jun 8, 2017

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Maybe a

"No U" category for cartoons projecting all of the horrible poo poo their side is doing/supporting onto their opponents.

I mean, the act itself isn't anything new, but, it seems like this administration in particular is going to make it into an art form.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

World Famous W posted:

Would be kind of hard because you would need to supply a 'before' and 'after' cartoon.

I was thinking more of the slew of individual cartoons about "Nazis were against free speech, therefore a college student who demonstrates against literal Nazis is worse than a Nazi" or "Violence at protests is bad, therefore we should beat up liberal protestors" or "Joking about your enemies getting decapitated is terrible, therefore I'll draw Kathy Griffin getting decapitated". Maybe it's a bit hard to define, though.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

World Famous W posted:

Half the year has already passed and I'll soon be making this year's Gay Abortions Mid-Term Repository so that ya'll can get some cartoons set aside for the end of the year. I will be using the standard general categories of
  • Worst Cartoon about a Tragedy
  • Worst Obituary Cartoon
  • Worst Caricature
  • Worst "A Thing Happened" Cartoon
  • Worst Cartoon about a Movie
  • Worst Label
  • Least Concealed Bigotry (Racism) in a Cartoon
  • Least Concealed Bigotry (LGBT) in a Cartoon
  • Laziest Non-Gorrell Cartoon
  • Most Easily Reinterpreted
  • Overall Worst Political Cartoon
  • Best Edit/Parody

I feel like there should be more than enough material to have a category on the inability of conservative cartoonists to let Obama go and acknowledge that issues are caused by 45. Not sure what to call it though. Worst breakup with 44 perhaps?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

FronzelNeekburm posted:

It's sweet that you think they will have any cognitive dissonance whatsoever blaming Hillary for being the real racist while deciding whether to vote for Joe Arpaio in a primary challenge to Trump.

Meanwhile, in the funny pages, a little girl is beat up:

i get why prickly city is in the funny pages at last. it makes the other funnies a thousand times better by comparison

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

River Crab posted:

I hope this isn't something too minor to be pedantic about (and I apologize if it is), but I just completed a course on this at my university and technically this would fall under unfree labor instead of slavery. Slavery is a form of unfree labor, but so is indentured servitude. The important difference is that in slavery, a person is held as property by their master and has few (if any) legal protections, whereas in servitude a worker is not property, but is held to a contract by their employer (often also called a master) that they (theoretically) entered into willingly and they do have certain legal protections. In both cases, a worker is bound to their master and cannot leave until their term of service is complete (a length of service agreed upon in the contract for a servant; until death or emancipation for a slave). If I remember correctly, the 13th Amendment officially abolished all forms of slavery in the United States, but it still permitted other forms of unfree labor, including using prisoners as labor. By the time of the Civil War, all forms of unfree labor other than slavery had long been in decline and had nearly died out and free/wage/paid labor had been on the rise taking its place.

so what you're saying is, it's essentially slavery

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Is setting the whole beach on fire a Scandinavian summer tradition?

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Wow this is me right now

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Trapezium Dave posted:

It expels evil spirits.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

i get why prickly city is in the funny pages at last. it makes the other funnies a thousand times better by comparison

That Tundra got a chuckle out of me.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Trapezium Dave posted:

It actually is. Its called St. Hans fire.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

CampingCarl posted:

Never Forget. :911:

What is Trigger Man's weakness again?

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Nenonen posted:

It expels evil spirits.

Nothing sobers you up like falling into a bonfire

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
There's even an official emoji for it https://finland.fi/sme/emoji/

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

We don't have to bother with that in an Australian summer because the continent is already on fire.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Trapezium Dave posted:

We don't have to bother with that in an Australian summer because the continent is already on fire.

So that's what that Midnight Oil song was about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Avirosb posted:

What is Trigger Man's weakness again?

Safety Man

• Locked thread