Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Life is short bro - I suggest buy, wash heavily and touch up the bits which you need to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

lilljonas posted:

Quick question: buying a bulk of badly painted plastics (in this case French and Brits). Yay or nay?

If its local and you can inspect them then yes.

If from the internet: in my experience what you're probably going to receive is a box in the mail of mini's dumped into the bottom with no consideration for wrapping them to protect damage, and who will have spent the entire trip grinding against one another and falling apart and only once you reassemble them all will you realize that a bunch of pieces are missing.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
There's something about 28mm Napoleonics that literally makes my heart thump a little faster. Thanks for posting your tiny (but still relatively large) mans. :stwoon:

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I'm looking to make a horse-drawn limber for my 88mm flak gun. Anyone have any ideas for prebuilt models or how I might go about putting one together myself?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
What scale? If you're working in 20mm or lower they're easy to find.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

28mm

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Finally I can get the SS and Svastika dice that I always wanted!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Has anyone played l'art de la guerre? I found a local wargaming club and apparently it is ( along with LaSalle) the defacto standard. From what I can tell it's something of a mix between DBA and warlord's r&f games

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Southern Heel posted:

Has anyone played l'art de la guerre? I found a local wargaming club and apparently it is ( along with LaSalle) the defacto standard. From what I can tell it's something of a mix between DBA and warlord's r&f games

Never tried it, but it seems to have sailed up as the new DBA, probably after DBA 3 being like a decade late and then completely failing to make a lasting impression.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

lilljonas posted:

Nice.

I finished up some French artillery pieces, and wrote about artillery in Sharp Practice.

http://krigetkommer.weebly.com/napoleonic-blog/french-line-and-horse-artillery-perry-warlord-front-rank

Quick question: buying a bulk of badly painted plastics (in this case French and Brits). Yay or nay?

Man your hobby is so good. I nominate you for best historical grog goon.

I have purchased painted models on eBay in the past if it was a decent price and the picture showed it was okay. It worked for me but it was like wading through a lot of garbage.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
I got hold of some of the first run of Desert Rats plastic infantry from Battlefront at the Games Expo.

Here's my review and build.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH-TipHm9UA

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

It would appear that Pike and Shotte is dead with my current home opponent, so my only way forward with that era is to re-base as Kings of War Historical. I'm debating whether to magnetise them onto the KoW Trays or just glue them ontop and be done with it.

lilljonas posted:

Never tried it, but it seems to have sailed up as the new DBA, probably after DBA 3 being like a decade late and then completely failing to make a lasting impression.

It seems very similar, some of the nomenclature has changed but the rules aren't foreign. It would appear the main difference is that bases are double-depth (i.e. square rather than oblong) and have cohesion (i.e. a number of hitpoints) instead of being automatically destroyed. They seem to take it super loving seriously though, but maybe this is just the impersonal face of a forum post. Apparently they travel around the UK going to regional/national tournaments - which seems like a bloody alien concept to me as I'm much more ale-and-crisps than comp-and-score-cards. I guess we'll see how it pans out.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Thundercloud posted:

I got hold of some of the first run of Desert Rats plastic infantry from Battlefront at the Games Expo.

Here's my review and build.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH-TipHm9UA

Too Many Soft Plastic Men

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

JcDent posted:

Too Many Soft Plastic Men

I will see how they take paint tonight.

Plus sides are the weapons don't have to be as big as metals and less chance of ankle breaks. Also 1/3 cheaper than FOW metals, but official WWII models from battlefront are the most expensive for the scale.
Minus sides it's soft plastic and I am really not sure how it will take paint.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
So, the new plastic has way less detail, the flash is harder to remove, and still need base-cleaning to get in a slot, and now introduce a gun-bending issue? Why are we using this instead of the existing plastic?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

spectralent posted:

So, the new plastic has way less detail, the flash is harder to remove, and still need base-cleaning to get in a slot, and now introduce a gun-bending issue? Why are we using this instead of the existing plastic?

Soft plastic has cheaper moulds, and if grogs sit on their minis they won't snap.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Thundercloud posted:

Soft plastic has cheaper moulds, and if grogs sit on their minis they won't snap.

Who is sitting on their models? I mean, it seems to be 90% of the marketing pitch and I've never dropped a rulebook on my figures before.

I wouldn't mind so much if they were cheaper compared to plastic but so far it seems to be hard plastic prices still.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Cheaper for them, not us

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

If I understand correctly, soft plastic molds are made from steel and take decades to wear out.

It all seems like they want to take FoW into mainstream big box stores, but that is such a bad idea for so many reasons.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

For the plus side soft plastic means undercuts and making this all one piece, but the minus side is cleaning a mould line out from that undercut.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
This is a long shot, but does anyone have the 1/72 La Haye Sainte set by Airfix? They rereleased it in 2015 with a lot of plastic figures with it, but I'm interested in knowing if the size of it will fit our painted collection of heroic 18mm and 20mm Napoleonics.

I'm reading Jeremy Black's Waterloo book and I'm getting an appetite for continuing our Waterloo project, even if I have to paint both sides.

Edit: I can see now from the dimensions mentioned in a review that it would be much too large.

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 5, 2017

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

muggins posted:

Man your hobby is so good. I nominate you for best historical grog goon.

I have purchased painted models on eBay in the past if it was a decent price and the picture showed it was okay. It worked for me but it was like wading through a lot of garbage.

Wow, thanks!

I ended up passing on the offer, since I already have a lot of unpainted stuff that is higher priority. About a hundred infantry and almost as many cavalry left.

At least I managed to squeeze in one box of plastic French from Warlord this past month, excluding the metal command miniatures.

15 Fusiliers, which means I can field a six unit formation of them. I'm also getting close to have enough for two smaller formations.

5 Voltigeurs, and once I have enough of skirmish posed Voltigeurs I'll shove these into a ranked Voltigeur formation

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Fish and Chimps posted:

This is a long shot, but does anyone have the 1/72 La Haye Sainte set by Airfix? They rereleased it in 2015 with a lot of plastic figures with it, but I'm interested in knowing if the size of it will fit our painted collection of heroic 18mm and 20mm Napoleonics.

I'm reading Jeremy Black's Waterloo book and I'm getting an appetite for continuing our Waterloo project, even if I have to paint both sides.

Edit: I can see now from the dimensions mentioned in a review that it would be much too large.
I was going to grab it just before Christmas when I saw it in a TKMaxx for like 30 euro but didn't, because Christmas and birthday are too close together and "obvious wargamer present".

I need to stop doing this, because I never actually get the things I spot and then spend ages trying to find them online.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
We played the first game of our ACW Sharp Practice campaign that I'm hoping to get published by TFL

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Warlord Games sent me a surprisingly condition free $15 coupon code that expires June 11th. Seems silly to let it go to waste.

I want to get something for my BA Soviets before it expires but am getting into the game with only one demo under my belt, having traded into a whole mess of Soviet infantry, a couple mortars, an observation team, standard bearer, T-34 and couple other things. What might be a good, fun, get for not much more than $15-$20 bucks? Assault Engineers look cool as Hell.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Warlord Games sent me a surprisingly condition free $15 coupon code that expires June 11th. Seems silly to let it go to waste.

I want to get something for my BA Soviets before it expires but am getting into the game with only one demo under my belt, having traded into a whole mess of Soviet infantry, a couple mortars, an observation team, standard bearer, T-34 and couple other things. What might be a good, fun, get for not much more than $15-$20 bucks? Assault Engineers look cool as Hell.

Assault engineers would be a good choice. Also consider a zis 3, it doubles as an both an AT gun and an artillery piece.

How'd you get that coupon if you don't mind me asking?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Class Warcraft posted:

How'd you get that coupon if you don't mind me asking?

They sent it to my email as a "mother's day" promotion, presumably because I ordered there before (dogs for Frostgrave in that case). If you've placed direct orders maybe check your spam filter and see if you got one.

Warlord Games posted:

Hi A

We decided to give you $15 to spend to make sure you don't miss out on all the great wargaming models, books and terrain we've released recently! Plastic British Airborne, Japanese Chi-Ha tank and the fantastic Operation Sea Lion book. Farmyard animals to bring any battlefield to life, Test of Honour, and new items for Antares and Konfikt '47...

Just use the gift code below by 11th June.

Note the discount applies to any single Warlord Games product.

You can of course buy multiple items, but if all of them cost less than $15 then only the most expensive will be discounted. So grab a set worth at least $15 to get the full benefit!

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jun 6, 2017

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Yeah, warlord hands out coupons now and then. Sometimes everyone seems to get one, sometimes it is random.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Naval infantry!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

In preparation for getting my poo poo pushed in Warmachine-style on Friday at my new adoptive club (at least, in theory) in ADLG I've checked out Dash of Elan on YT. He's got some great batreps, here's a couple for ADLG:

Intro to the game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNCn9LNmJOA

A 'live' game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ActOFcNExxA

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

If you preordered some T-55s from PSC (remember them?), then they're apparently finished and shipping over this week!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

spectralent posted:

If you preordered some T-55s from PSC (remember them?), then they're apparently finished and shipping over this week!

:toot:

Huzzah!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Lots of sprues for sale from Warlord, around 50% off:

https://store.warlordgames.com/coll..._eid=07b0bdc004

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

Lots of sprues for sale from Warlord, around 50% off:

https://store.warlordgames.com/coll..._eid=07b0bdc004

Aww yissss!

Gonna buy even more nappy horses even though I have tons of unpainted poo poo, because

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Wrecked house is so tempting along with blitzkrieg infantry for operation Sea Lion.
But it's everything at once this month.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

As usual NWS Online has matched Warlords sprue/house/base sale, which already being at half-price of retail means you can get sprues there for 75% off. Most are like two bucks each.

http://yhst-12000246778232.stores.yahoo.net/nwswagaplsps.html

They only have Black Powder and Bolt Action sprues and shipping is slow but hell yeah, two dollar sprues.

Edit: although if you can get free shipping from Warlord that might be a better value in the end.

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 7, 2017

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

:stonk: I would err worry about anyone who's a bit too enthusiastic about busting those out at a game

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Class Warcraft posted:

As usual NWS Online has matched Warlords sprue/house/base sale, which already being at half-price of retail means you can get sprues there for 75% off. Most are like two bucks each.

http://yhst-12000246778232.stores.yahoo.net/nwswagaplsps.html

They only have Black Powder and Bolt Action sprues and shipping is slow but hell yeah, two dollar sprues.

Edit: although if you can get free shipping from Warlord that might be a better value in the end.

yea nws has some pretty brutal shipping pricing too

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
I got both General d'Armee and Travel Battle by mail yesterday.

Travel Battle is indeed very very simple, but a really cool concept for holidays or if you (say) have a baby.

I haven't had time to read GdA yet but if anyone is on the fence about buying the rules and have any questions I can answer them.

Same for TB of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Fish and Chimps posted:

I got both General d'Armee and Travel Battle by mail yesterday.

Travel Battle is indeed very very simple, but a really cool concept for holidays or if you (say) have a baby.

I haven't had time to read GdA yet but if anyone is on the fence about buying the rules and have any questions I can answer them.

Same for TB of course.

How big armies do you need for GdA in 28mm? Asking for a friend...