Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Highblood posted:

I did 100 fsd 5 rolls and I didn't get anything above 50, so gently caress them

That's a lot of grinding. Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
The punishment is incrementally worsening the quality spread of each subsequent roll.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

:siren: DO NOT USE THE ENGINEERING EXPLOIT :siren:

Bans are apparently rolling out. 30 day, 60 day, 6 month and at least one permaban. Each ban comes with the wiping of all engineering modules no matter how you got them. These are supposedly hellbans which stick you in a solo instance for the duration of your ban where you can't see anyone or have an effect on the BGS. They are even hitting people who did it after it went public.

Space Skeleton fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 8, 2017

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
lol :frontear:

also rip sdc

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Space Skeleton posted:

Bans are apparently rolling out. 30 day, 60 day, 6 month and at least one permaban. Each ban comes with the wiping of all engineering modules no matter how you got them. These are supposedly hellbans which stick you in a solo instance for the duration of your ban where you can't see anyone or have an effect on the BGS. They are even hitting people who did it after it went public.

If they're going to ban people at least the bolded part makes a lot of sense.

I mean, I get banning people that are using legit exploits like that and how some would hate the entire idea of it, but if you're gonna do it, you've got to go all the way and hit people that ran for it once it became public, especially those who did so after the official response to it.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

KakerMix posted:

Yeah sure, but how are they going to catch you? I've done some pretty obviously-not-ok stuff on my other account and was never 'caught' even though I was the only person doing it.

They keep really detailed engineering logs. For when muppets accidentally sell their ship.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Yeah they record an obsessive amount of stuff. When I came back from my 5000 LY trip for Palin, I buzzed the frigate over his base and got shot down. RIP exploration data I thought. Turns out Frontier was able to restore all my scanned data and first discoveries after I made a support request.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Why though, are you saying you legitimately died due to pilot error and they restored your data anyway, or was your death due to extenuating circumstances that warranted a restore? Just curious how lenient the support team is.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Asimov posted:

Why though, are you saying you legitimately died due to pilot error and they restored your data anyway, or was your death due to extenuating circumstances that warranted a restore? Just curious how lenient the support team is.
There's a Farragut battlecruiser over Palin's base and a lot of the time it doesn't load in properly so you either hit the thing while it's invisible and explode (:rip: my Asp Explorer with only 200mj of shields) or it loads in while you're basically on top of it and you can't get out of the way before it opens fire on you for violating its personal space.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Asimov posted:

The support team is pretty lenient/cool as long as you ask nicely I’ve found. I got a call immediately after selecting undock and came back to an exploded Corvette and 20M Cr rebuy. I emailed the support team and they refunded me my money.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
FDev support is a shining jewel in a pile of poo poo.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Space Skeleton posted:

I edited this earlier to say "maybe" but I've now confirmed from outside the mess that is the PvP community that bans are in fact happening. A trustworthy source got slapped with a 30 day shadowrealm ban for doing it within the past 24 hours.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Space Skeleton posted:

I edited this earlier to say "maybe" but I've now confirmed from outside the mess that is the PvP community that bans are in fact happening. A trustworthy source got slapped with a 30 day shadowrealm ban for doing it within the past 24 hours.

if this somehow breaks the back of the griefers elite MLG pvp players it could potentially be the best/most hilarious thing Frontier has ever done.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

if this somehow breaks the back of the griefers elite MLG pvp players it could potentially be the best/most hilarious thing Frontier has ever done.

There's a dude on Reddit who I'm just sure is probably hit by this. You can tell he's aware enough to not go full two minutes hate but whenever he talks about solo or anyone enjoying the game that isn't in a way in which he could murder them, his language is just dripping with with barely constrained rage.

At least that's my headcanon because now that I've noticed him, I can't read the elite subreddit without eye rolling.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Eh, since this is the first actual exploit that's given people an advantage beyond "didn't-have-to-poopsock-as-much," I'm not upset by this. Also I didn't try it, so I feel pretty :smug:

Hellbans seem a little harsh, I would have preferred they just give everyone the rank 1 mods they paid for or strip the engineered modules from the people who did it. OTOH, gently caress the dudes who did 1000s of R5 rolls with a bunch of iron/sulfur/whatever.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Anime Store Adventure posted:

There's a dude on Reddit who I'm just sure is probably hit by this. You can tell he's aware enough to not go full two minutes hate but whenever he talks about solo or anyone enjoying the game that isn't in a way in which he could murder them, his language is just dripping with with barely constrained rage.

At least that's my headcanon because now that I've noticed him, I can't read the elite subreddit without eye rolling.

I think I know who you're talking about, that dude's insane.

Someone posted earlier this week on reddit about how they made triple elite without dying. The lede was that they spent most of their time in solo/mobius.

I'm convinced the entire purpose of the post was a subtle troll post :discourse:

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 8, 2017

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I think I know who you're talking about, that dude's insane.

Someone posted earlier this week on reddit about how they made triple elite without dying. The lede was that they spent most of their time in solo/mobius.

I'm convinced the entire purpose of the post was a subtle troll post :discourse:

He posts all the loving time so I'm sure it is.

I do sort of agree on the BGS influence being kinda lovely for open players vs solo players, but hey, end of the day it doesn't matter anyway.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

This is me, playing a tiny violin for all the sneaks who got rightfully ham-jammed by Frontier for participating in an unusually black-and-white exploit

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

Space Skeleton posted:

:stonklol:

Well that's... surprising

edit: I fully expect a furious reddit post showing how the bug has been reported several times during the last 6 months.

Edit edit: Well at least once, in February https://imgur.com/a/eIVbr

El Perkele fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jun 12, 2017

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
I still wanna know why this persisted for over a year without a fix. Fdev acts all indignant now that the secret got out but it's their own drat fault. Purposely leaving something like this in the live game for this long is tantamount to condoning the cheating. Any half decent dev team patches this poo poo out of the game the second they find out about it. This is "call the guy who coded this poo poo and get his rear end in here, I don't care if you have to wake him up! And we're taking the game offline until it's fixed" territory.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Krycek posted:

I still wanna know why this persisted for over a year without a fix. Fdev acts all indignant now that the secret got out but it's their own drat fault. Purposely leaving something like this in the live game for this long is tantamount to condoning the cheating. Any half decent dev team patches this poo poo out of the game the second they find out about it. This is "call the guy who coded this poo poo and get his rear end in here, I don't care if you have to wake him up! And we're taking the game offline until it's fixed" territory.

It actually surprised me that they actually went through with their threats :psyduck:

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Nice piece of fish posted:

Damnit, this is going to get patched before I have a chance to try it.

Space Skeleton posted:

Well, now I'm pretty happy I'm lazy and slow and never have time for poo poo. Guess I dodged that bullet.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Some players who have admitted to doing it a lot in the past do not appear to be banned yet while a few players who did it in the past 24 hours have been hit. It's not clear if Frontier are going backwards or just hitting a few players to look good or what.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I mean, I can't say that I'm too upset that FDev's version of :cb: showed up for this one: it's the first exploit that actually feels like an exploit, rather than broken BGS nonsense that makes the game more fun by removing grind. That said, it did remove a needless, tedious grind...on the other hand, I spent two hours looking for one mechanical scrap the other night so I could make two extra-ammo heatsinks, so meh.

Not at all surprised that it's token bans for experimenters caught after it went public, and not the pro-gamer types who rolled perfect PVP-deathmachines with the exploit.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Professor Bling posted:

I mean, I get banning

I don't get it until they let me play this offline game on my own terms.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Truga posted:

This seems like a weird hill to die on.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
:allears:

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Truga posted:

Whoa you must do all your playing in the game's launcher menu, because that's the extent of Elite's offline experience

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Trustworthy posted:

Whoa you must do all your playing in the game's launcher menu, because that's the extent of Elite's offline experience

The launcher connects to Frontier's servers to get news and game updates, if you're going​to make a poo poo joke at least make an accurate one.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Dabir posted:

The launcher connects to Frontier's servers to get news and game updates, if you're going​to make a poo poo joke at least make an accurate one.

You can at least open it without a connection, was my point. Which I guess also applies to the main menu of the game, so that's two whole worlds of offline entertainment to explore!

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

This thread could use some engineering.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

This thread could use some engineering.

You'll need 3 shakers of salt, 3 farsighted goon commentaries, and 1 let's play for grade 5.

Assuming you've already collected 25 Cheetos to unlock the engineer.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I've decided that Elite reminds me of my all time fave sci-fi sim: Mechwarrior 2. And naturally M2's sounds great in Elite.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!
Haven't played this game for ages, I think I stopped playing a couple of months before the Horizons update. Not because I disliked the game but kids, life and stuff got in the way of space truckin'.

Thinking about getting into it again, because I've had an itch to land on planets and mess around. I guess what I'm about to ask is partly google-able, but how fun is it to gently caress around planetside and is it worthwhile farm-wise? I mean, is it comparable to dogfighting in asteroid belts, boring rock-mining and trade hustling between stations? Provided those are even a thing anymore, the whole game could've changed for all I know.

The reason I'm asking is if landing on planets is mostly an empty gameplay feature I might just not get Horizons and stick to messing around in space.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

Mangoose posted:

Haven't played this game for ages, I think I stopped playing a couple of months before the Horizons update. Not because I disliked the game but kids, life and stuff got in the way of space truckin'.

Thinking about getting into it again, because I've had an itch to land on planets and mess around. I guess what I'm about to ask is partly google-able, but how fun is it to gently caress around planetside and is it worthwhile farm-wise? I mean, is it comparable to dogfighting in asteroid belts, boring rock-mining and trade hustling between stations? Provided those are even a thing anymore, the whole game could've changed for all I know.

The reason I'm asking is if landing on planets is mostly an empty gameplay feature I might just not get Horizons and stick to messing around in space.

Do you want to make your ship better? Do you want to jump further, go faster and have stronger shields? Are you literally insane and want to fight other people with lasers? Do you want to go kartin' around some desolate planet, shooting rocks just to get poo poo to make your imaginary space-ship better? Do you hate drones? Do you love aliens? Do you want to spend actual time to gather materials to dice-roll to perhaps get a multiplier to keep you competitive? If so, Horizons and engineering are just the thing for you!

Dogfighting and piracy are still in, mining is in, trading is in. Powerplay is in. Grind is still in.

Edit: Despite this, game still enjoyable and good, and if you don't really compete with other people in Open then Engineers are mmmmmmehhhh

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Mangoose posted:

Horizons made every ship better and SRVing around planets is widely considered one of the more fun things to do. That said, the gameplay is probably most similar to driving the mako around in ME1: it's fun and silly, but ultimately pointless beyond silly fun grinding engineer materials. There are planet-based missions, but they aren't functionally different from the rest of the missions with the exception of being on a planet.

If you've played more than 100 hours, I would say Horizons is a worthwhile investment! :homebrew:

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Horizons made every ship better and SRVing around planets is widely considered one of the more fun things to do. That said, the gameplay is probably most similar to driving the mako around in ME1: it's fun and silly, but ultimately pointless beyond silly fun grinding engineer materials. There are planet-based missions, but they aren't functionally different from the rest of the missions with the exception of being on a planet.

If you've played more than 100 hours, I would say Horizons is a worthwhile investment! :homebrew:

Agreed about the SRV - There is something super fun about it even though it's ultimately pretty pointless other than engineering materials.

I think that both the feel of scooting around in different gravities and the sense of scale it gives you of planets that gets lost otherwise help a lot. I have the space madness and I always take an SRV out in the black because it's perfect for breaking up the monotony of travel.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Been falling back in love with the iClipper with tons of engineering mods :stwoon:

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!
Thanks for the replies! I guess I'll be picking up Horizons then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revolther
May 27, 2008
I've wanted this game to take over my theoretical EVE boner forever(Eve is theoretically fun, just not so much in practice).

I've never jumped on it because I imagine my 1060 system could run it, but not at the level of all the VIVE/OCULUS talk, which sounds like the true amazing experience that probably hooked most and would also draw me in. It sounds amazing.

It seems like most goons have a pretty involved setup for this, which sounds awesome but I'm a bit wary.

Are there any goons who play this mouse/keyboard on just a single or dual monitor setup, way more casual than the crazy sounding but enviable VR+HOTAS setups and still feel blown away by the experience?

• Locked thread