Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Copyright isn't so bad when the rights owners are cooperative. Consider how PD films like The Screaming Skull and The Brain That Wouldn't Die were licensed by Shout! from MGM, which meant they could use the original film elements. MGM licenses to literally everyone right now, which is why most of Season 11 is from their library.

Even for something like Steamboat Willie, Disney has fully restored the film and made it easily available. On the other hand, something like Song of the South should end up in the public domain because it's not actually commercially available (legally). It doesn't make sense to honor a copyright if it's not actually available to the public.

Also, Rocketship X-M shouldn't be an issue since Shout! was able to license Robot Monster and Invasion USA - both of which are owned by the same guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mister Kingdom posted:

Anybody know how much the rights are for any given movie? Is it a flat rate or a percentage of sales?

You could probably figure out a rough estimate by going through Joel's Kickstarter costs breakdown.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Egbert Souse posted:

Copyright isn't so bad when the rights owners are cooperative. Consider how PD films like The Screaming Skull and The Brain That Wouldn't Die were licensed by Shout! from MGM, which meant they could use the original film elements. MGM licenses to literally everyone right now, which is why most of Season 11 is from their library.

Even for something like Steamboat Willie, Disney has fully restored the film and made it easily available. On the other hand, something like Song of the South should end up in the public domain because it's not actually commercially available (legally). It doesn't make sense to honor a copyright if it's not actually available to the public.

Also, Rocketship X-M shouldn't be an issue since Shout! was able to license Robot Monster and Invasion USA - both of which are owned by the same guy.

If I recall properly the problem with Rocketship X-M is the guy who owns it has sentimental attachment to the movie and thus isn't too big on the idea of it's MST3K riff being easily available

Also I agree, if a company doesn't make proper usage of something they claim copyright on they should lose it, like at least once a decade

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

Also I agree, if a company doesn't make proper usage of something they claim copyright on they should lose it, like at least once a decade

Several comic book character exist purely so Marvel and DC could deny each other use of names, and make appearances only as often as legally required.

See also the Roger Corman Fantastic Four movie.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

If I recall properly the problem with Rocketship X-M is the guy who owns it has sentimental attachment to the movie and thus isn't too big on the idea of it's MST3K riff being easily available

That's kind of a ridiculous thing for a copyright holder to pull, but I read somewhere he turned down offers to restore some of the films he owns and he turned them down. One label wanted to release a 3-D Blu-Ray of Robot Monster and a restoration of Invaders from Mars. On the other end of the spectrum, there's a billionaire that bought the classic film library with stuff like Buster Keaton's silent work and is spending millions restoring and releasing stuff.

I'm still impressed by how Shout! has managed to release so many episodes and even bringing back the Rhino sets in print.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I think the way Rifftrax does these things is a very clever end run around the ENTIRE copyright thing. You provide the movie, and when you play the file or disc using their app, it'll play the riffs along with it, synced up by means of magic.

There's absolutely no technical reason you couldn't do the same thing with a video overlay. Provide your own copy of Rocketship X-M and open it with a special app, and it'll show you the MST3K episode. No copyright worries because they aren't selling you the movie; they're selling you an app that puts an overlay on a video file, with a silhouette of a guy and two robots saying some things, and also starts and stops the movie at the correct points to allow for host segments. (How you get the movie to put underneath it is up to you.)

Now, in practice, actually making something like that for an old episode (that can't get a normal release) would be a real pain. In particular, I doubt they have the original audio elements anymore, so they'd have to start with the already-mixed version on the final master tapes. Scrubbing all of the movie sounds from the audio track and leaving only Joel and the bots might be tricky. I really doubt they'd go to the trouble, but it's a fun thought experiment.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah, Wade was fine licensing out his other movies, but he specifically refused Rocketship X-M. He could always change his mind, but there's only so much Shout can do to persuade him.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Egbert Souse posted:

That's kind of a ridiculous thing for a copyright holder to pull, but I read somewhere he turned down offers to restore some of the films he owns and he turned them down. One label wanted to release a 3-D Blu-Ray of Robot Monster and a restoration of Invaders from Mars. On the other end of the spectrum, there's a billionaire that bought the classic film library with stuff like Buster Keaton's silent work and is spending millions restoring and releasing stuff.

How do I find this man and convince him to do the same for Babylon 5?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

How do I find this man and convince him to do the same for Babylon 5?

That's a different issue. They lost the CG resources so they'd have to recreate all the effects from scratch. Sure it was done for Star Trek TOS, but that had Paramount & CBS money behind it. Not sure B5 could get that kind of money, or at least someone who would be ok with potentially never making their money back.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

duz posted:

That's a different issue. They lost the CG resources so they'd have to recreate all the effects from scratch. Sure it was done for Star Trek TOS, but that had Paramount & CBS money behind it. Not sure B5 could get that kind of money, or at least someone who would be ok with potentially never making their money back.

I'd do it if I had the money. It would be my legacy, my gift to mankind. No, I know all too well it'll likely never happen for just that reason unless someone literally wants to lose probably $100 million for no reason other than love of the show.

Edit: coincidentally this is one of the many reasons I'll never be a billionaire.

Winifred Madgers fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 8, 2017

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I remembered the other thing I do not like about this new season. Why do they have to say "nightmare fuel" at the start of every episode? It almost feels like they try too hard, this is the part that makes it seem that way to me.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jun 8, 2017

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

I remembered the other thing I do not like about this new season. Why do they have to say "nightmare fuel" at the start of every episode? It almost feels like they try too hard, this is the part that makes it seem that way to me.

That's just a running gag/catchphrase, like that noise Frank used to make or "Waddya think, sirs?" I think the joke is that, by the third time, you realize she just describes every movie that way, sort of like how you already know by the third time Professor Farnsworth says "Good news, everyone!" that it's going to be bad news.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Bicyclops posted:

That's just a running gag/catchphrase, like that noise Frank used to make or "Waddya think, sirs?" I think the joke is that, by the third time, you realize she just describes every movie that way, sort of like how you already know by the third time Professor Farnsworth says "Good news, everyone!" that it's going to be bad news.

I hardly thought any film was a nightmare. It seems like they were really trying hard to push some angle to look at these films.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

I hardly thought any film was a nightmare. It seems like they were really trying hard to push some angle to look at these films.

Kinga's whole shtick is that she's an attention-seeking showboater who's actually not very good at it and in way over her head, though. She's trying to create ratings for Disney dollars on a network that doesn't even have ratings. It makes sense she'd overstate a movie's badness and then ineptly do so, with the same phrase, for every single movie.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
She doesn't say it every time, one time was Patton Oswalt. Must be because they had to have an opening where they say "nightmare fuel".

So edgy man!

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

You're kind of making a big deal over a phrase that means exactly as much as "Movie in the hole!" and "Push the button, Max."

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tenzarin posted:

She doesn't say it every time, one time was Patton Oswalt. Must be because they had to have an opening where they say "nightmare fuel".

So edgy man!

You do remember that the one time Oswalt said it, she jumped all over him for stepping on her line, right?

Like that was the joke. That was her catchphrase, patent pending, and you don't step on her property.

Also, you DO remember that Nightmare Fuel both predates MST3K, and has been used by MST3K before right? Hell I'm pretty sure the old chat groups back in the 90s when the episode were new used the term a lot. They've made a few jokes, in Joel and Mike's era, about something being Pure Unfiltered Nightmare Fuel.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

You're kind of making a big deal over a phrase that means exactly as much as "Movie in the hole!" and "Push the button, Max."

It's this. It's not trying to be "edgy," either; it's a line that intentionally displays how goofy Kinga is.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I had never heard of Girl's Town and it's the most delightful thing. Horribly-written teen slang, awkward musical moments, and the easiest, funniest relationship among the riffers I can remember. It's into my top 10 of the original show for sure.

I also saw Avalanche. Rock Hudson really captures a certain middle-aged creepiness well, but I'm not sure it's what the director was going for.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Girls Town also has Mamie Van Doren. :eyepop:

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I don't understand why y'all aren't skipping over the boring non-movie parts

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I thought the Nightmare Fuel thing was because every idiot online is constantly talking about how things from their childhood was Nightmare Fuel.

"Team Rocket was real Nightmare fuel when I was a kid!" "The Cobra-La stuff was such nightmare fuel!" and so on. When the term was meant to discribe something like the tunnel scene in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory or the entirety of Watership Down.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Burkion posted:

Also, you DO remember that Nightmare Fuel both predates MST3K, and has been used by MST3K before right? Hell I'm pretty sure the old chat groups back in the 90s when the episode were new used the term a lot. They've made a few jokes, in Joel and Mike's era, about something being Pure Unfiltered Nightmare Fuel.
I believe the term is "High Octane Nightmare Fuel," which is how Mike described the frightening laughing wind-up reindeer in Santa Claus.

To be honest, Kinga's use of it bugged me a little at first, but after a few episodes, I caught on that it was just a thing they were doing, and let it go.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

Girls Town also has Mamie Van Doren. :eyepop:

Too bad they didn't have her star in Keeping Neat and Clean.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

I thought the Nightmare Fuel thing was because every idiot online is constantly talking about how things from their childhood was Nightmare Fuel.

"Team Rocket was real Nightmare fuel when I was a kid!" "The Cobra-La stuff was such nightmare fuel!" and so on. When the term was meant to discribe something like the tunnel scene in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory or the entirety of Watership Down.

I think it is a reference to that, Kinga trying to tap into listicle terminology to boost the signal for her brand.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Bicyclops posted:

I think it is a reference to that, Kinga trying to tap into listicle terminology to boost the signal for her brand.

Makes sense, as it really is a silly phrase that is way over used. That or people in their 20s are loving pussies.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Tenzarin posted:

So edgy man!

I don't know. Sounds like you're trying real hard here, man. Maybe a little too hard.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

twistedmentat posted:

Makes sense, as it really is a silly phrase that is way over used. That or people in their 20s are loving pussies.

Can't it be both?

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
One of my favorite line reads/riffs is from Crow in Avalanche.

Ski Bum: "I ski like I breathe or talk or make love."
Crow: "Unconvincingly?

It's just the delivery that gets me chuckling.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Tenzarin posted:

So edgy man!

What happened to you?

My fav part has to the Itchi-o's Poo-oh joke by Gypsy

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Compendium posted:

One of my favorite line reads/riffs is from Crow in Avalanche.

Ski Bum: "I ski like I breathe or talk or make love."
Crow: "Unconvincingly?

It's just the delivery that gets me chuckling.

That one reminds me of:

"You know what my kids would say?"
"You're not my real father!"

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I'm still slowly making my way through the season, and Wizards of the Lost Kingdom 1 really feels like it came directly from an older season of the show (minus a few more recent references). Yongary is still my favorite so far though. It drags a little at about an hour in, but the first 30 minutes of Yongary are solid gold.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Adam West passed away last night :(

He wasn't the villain Zombie Nightmare deserved, but he certainly was the villain it needed.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Ensign_Ricky posted:

He wasn't the villain Zombie Nightmare deserved, but he certainly was the villain it needed.

That's why you call before you dig. :colbert:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ensign_Ricky posted:

It was such a weird end to that movie, the reveal that he was a bad guy all along and then he just kind of gets dragged to hell. The bad guy thing didn't make a lot of sense because he had barely been in the movie at that point.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

It was such a weird end to that movie, the reveal that he was a bad guy all along and then he just kind of gets dragged to hell. The bad guy thing didn't make a lot of sense because he had barely been in the movie at that point.
He wasn't even the bad guy of the main plot; he was one of the guys who attacked the young zombie priestess and killed zombie jock's father in the flashback at the beginning.

fake edit: I looked up Zombie Nightmare on wikipedia; turns out that one of the members of the teenage gang is one of the executive producers of Stranger Things, and he directed one episode. Good for him!

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Evil Mastermind posted:

He wasn't even the bad guy of the main plot; he was one of the guys who attacked the young zombie priestess and killed zombie jock's father in the flashback at the beginning.

fake edit: I looked up Zombie Nightmare on wikipedia; turns out that one of the members of the teenage gang is one of the executive producers of Stranger Things, and he directed one episode. Good for him!

Dude is pretty legit in Hollywood, being the director of the Night at the Museum movies, among other things.

And to think he got his big break by throwing pasta at his mom. :allears:

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

HopperUK posted:

I had never heard of Girl's Town and it's the most delightful thing. Horribly-written teen slang, awkward musical moments, and the easiest, funniest relationship among the riffers I can remember. It's into my top 10 of the original show for sure.

I also saw Avalanche. Rock Hudson really captures a certain middle-aged creepiness well, but I'm not sure it's what the director was going for.

Girls Town is a great experiment! I love a movie where they have Mel Torme playing the heavy. "Careful, it's where my Velvet Fog emanates from!"

Plus that poor girl who has a crush on Paul Anka. "We're married now, right?"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
It's not even "nightmare fuel" it's "nightmare-filled".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Here's a nice story about Bridget.