Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

1) what should I be doing apart from progressing through content while leveling my main team, hoping for TM increases, and getting through the colosseum?

2) I've mostly been saving my tickets for 11 pulls.

3) I also just grabbed Y'shtola, should I prioritize her over Refia?

1) Since you're doing the raid that's pretty much it for the moment. Just get through the story, level your team and make sure you use all your raid orbs.

2) Can't use tickets on 11 pulls so feel free to spend those wherever. If you are TM grinding then I really recommend pulling on the Wilhelm banner to get some Abels. His TM dagger grants dual wield and is going to be as good as a straight dual wield TM for a lot of people.

3) Yes. She has innate dual cast which Refia lacks and that's a necessity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Y'shtola is a better healer than Refia since Y'shtola eventually gets Presence of Mind aka Dual Cast which means she can throw out two Curajas in one turn, or something like Esuna / Stona to recover somebody from a bad status or Raise to revive a dead unit and still heal. It basically becomes a necessity to have a healer with dual cast for the harder challenges in the game. Refia is still good though, she has Full Raise (recover from dead with 100% HP) and Embolden (+45% ATK&DEF buff) and it's possible through TMs to get her Dual Cast but I wouldn't worry about that for a long while.

Make sure you do the arena five times a day. The first five times you do the arena you get 2x20 Lapis and a Star Quartz. You can trade them in for great items like Earrings for casters, a Man Eater materia to boost physical damage to human enemies, the Safety Bit which is currently the only way to be immune to instant death attacks, or the Cat Ear Hood which is a good caster or healer hat. There's a list of goodies here.

As you progress through the story and unlock new towns or explorations make sure you check the wik's Town Quests and Explorations pages for what you're doing. The maps are great so that you don't miss any treasure, especially hidden Star Quartz, on these maps. Catching up on story is a good thing to do so you can get more treasure on these maps and unlock Fat Chocobo shops to trade in Star Quartz. There's good free loot on the later islands.

e: Also the exploration pages will tell you where the collection points are on each map. Hit them all up when you do explorations. They have materials you usually can't get otherwise, like magicite to upgrade espers, gear crafting materials (although there isn't much need for it), and megacrysts which are used in higher crafts like Hero Rings. /e:

In the vortex itself (Vortex->Exchange or just interact with the monument in any town) there's a building with some super bosses... when the game was brand new. It shouldn't take much to curbstomp them with units once you get some good gear and levels on Orlandu. There's nothing really pointing that they exist but it's still worth doing to get some decent gear.

When you get moogles that boost anybody's TM (they have a TM of "Any", TM Moogles that boost specific TMs say otherwise) save them for a character that gives you dual wield. Zidane or Gilgamesh are the big two. Ludmille or Trance Terra are also good to feed moogles to as their TMs give Dual Cast but it isn't as necessary with Y'shtola. With Orlandu it's probably worth feeding Cecil too since Excalibur is basically Orlandu's favorite weapon.

Also make sure to add yourself to the friends spreadsheet, post your friend code in the thread, and change your greeting to including something goony or SA so other players know you're from SA! A good friend unit can carry you through a lot of content, including some who built a character who can solo Gilgamesh's Offense trial which can net you some good stuff like the Genji Blade (katana better than some TMs) and ATK+30% which Orlandu would also love to have.

e: Also if you are trying to level characters up the Unit EXP from doing content is split across your entire party. If you're doing stuff like the EXP Vortex for EXP make a party with just one character (or whoever you're leveling) and bring a friend who can solo the rest of it as the friend unit doesn't leech EXP.

Scrublord Prime fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 7, 2017

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
The current raid is also a shitton of xp for units and rank. I've been abusing the hell out of it for free refreshes to get much father ahead than I reasonably should be with the current amount of time invested (especially considering the volume of Gil turtles and metal cacti I get from raid currency).

E: and it's crazy because your rank up refreshes give you all your arena/colosseum orbs, raid orbs and energy. So you really need to have at least 6 or 7 carries to not waste any orbs. I've done 10 pro titans back to back a few times during this event.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 7, 2017

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Started playing last month, I played Summoners War for over a year and this game is a little overwhelming.

I was lucky enough to pull Orlandeau without re-rolling from the 1/2 price summon and have him in a party w/ Cecil, Cloud of Darkness, Refia, and King, so far I've completed the first island. I've read through the OP but what should I be doing apart from progressing through content while leveling my main team, hoping for TM increases, and getting through the colosseum? I've mostly been saving my tickets for 11 pulls. I also just grabbed Y'shtola, should I prioritize her over Refia?

Yes, level up Yshtola first and put her in your A team. Ysh has dualcast baked in whereas Refia requires a dualcast TM from either Ludmille or Trance Terra. If you are able to pull one of those units and farm their TM, then Refia has a few more positive qualities over Ysh, but they are fairly close overall.

You are going to get a lot of different advice from various goons who all have different philosophies on how this game should be played. Here are mine!

You have a very solid team in place that can carry you through the whole story and most of the endgame as well. With that said, you have to ask yourself if you are going to be an absolute hardcore "free 2 play" player or if you don't mind dropping the occasional cash in the store when a good sale or bundle pops up.

If you are strict F2P, then you should stop doing the daily 1/2 off pull and hoard your Lapis for good banners. At this point in the meta, that means waiting for a banner with a must pull 4* base. NEVER PIN YOUR HOPES ON A 5* BASE PULL AS A F2P PLAYER, YOUR SOUL WILL BE CRUSHED. There may be some good stuff coming when we get the 1 year anniversary event, but we don't know yet. Some might argue that next weeks banner is worth pulling on if your F2P, you'll have to decide for yourself. When we get the FFX banner, you absolutely should try and snag Rikku. That theoretically should be just around the corner...

If you don't mind dropping the occasional money into the cash store, then ALWAYS do a daily pull. It's more economical than spending 5,000 on an 11 pull over the course of 11 days. But you will eventually be bled dry and feel the urge to hit that cash store up. Especially when the story content dries up and you've earned most of the achievements. It might take 6 months or so, but it will happen.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
You know, I'd have less problems possibly spending money on this game if the lapis for 2 11 pulls didn't cost the same as a brand new video game. Make the $20 bundle enough to do an 11 pull and I'd probably spend some money on the game.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

I had the same thought early on. I think it was on the Crystal Chronicles banner with the first timed exclusive units when I couldn't pull a 4* base to save my grandmother. I chased and blew all of my lapis and tickets without a single one, looked at the prices to buy some lapis and balked and decided to never spend money on this game. Doesn't help with :canada: Canuckistan funnymunny hurting since the oil crash. I'll just leave it to the whales to fund this game instead, I couldn't keep up with dropping four digits chasing one character anyways.

Also latest gatcha :argh: : I've half pulled every day on this banner and the only on banner characters I got was two Jeans. I think I've only seen one gold crystal the whole time too. gently caress you gatcha!

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Thanks for advice everyone!!

My ID is 661,912,805 if anyone is feeling generous

Miss Lonelyhearts fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 7, 2017

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Sent you an add. Since it seems like we have a few new players, here's mine, I usually run something useful for the current events. Right now it's a dual wield Reberta with Golem for Stone Killer.

iloverice
Feb 19, 2007

future tv ninja
I've cleared out a bunch of my inactive friends. I've usually got a 900+ ATK Gilgamesh up, although I will likely change that to a 1000+ Olive once a few more TMRs finish.. Anyone is welcome to add me as long as you daily gift. Make sure something goony is in your message

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Thanks for advice everyone!!

My ID is 661,912,805 if anyone is feeling generous

Sent. Also added that other goon a few pages back and his work buddy.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Thanks to everyone who added me, much appreciated

iloverice posted:

I've cleared out a bunch of my inactive friends. I've usually got a 900+ ATK Gilgamesh up, although I will likely change that to a 1000+ Olive once a few more TMRs finish.. Anyone is welcome to add me as long as you daily gift. Make sure something goony is in your message

Sent.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
I just made some room, feel free to add:

878 326 285

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
What the heck. I just bought some more slots.

My Olive is currently 1050 attack with double stone killer (no cover), so it may help some of you out on the event. Usual goony messages apply.

253 556 279

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Early maintenance tonight starting at 11PM PST so turn your macros on to keep your NRG drained. When it's done we get these two clowns.

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
I'm dying for a new banner.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

dangerous.hotdog posted:

I'm dying for a new banner.

Same, but that's Friday.

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008

Cartoon Man posted:

Same, but that's Friday.

:negative:

It's cool that we've been getting a lot of mage love lately. Between Zyrus, his TMR, Echidna's Kiss, and now Rod Mastery, a lot of us should be able to slap together a decent looking mage.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

I'm up to 12 Follower's Oaths!

jfc why am I not selling all these stupid god drat thancreds

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

dangerous.hotdog posted:

:negative:

It's cool that we've been getting a lot of mage love lately. Between Zyrus, his TMR, Echidna's Kiss, and now Rod Mastery, a lot of us should be able to slap together a decent looking mage.

Gumi says one of those bosses is weak against magic and the other physical.

Clearly a team of all hybrid damage users is needed. I'm all set. Are you?

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
well played

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008

Cartoon Man posted:

Gumi says one of those bosses is weak against magic and the other physical.

Clearly a team of all hybrid damage users is needed. I'm all set. Are you?

I am not prepared.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

When I do my final Titan summons, I'm gonna level all those and make a troll arena team.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Scrublord Prime posted:

I'm up to 12 Follower's Oaths!

jfc why am I not selling all these stupid god drat thancreds

Because 1) it doesn't count against your inventory limit and 2) you'll be able to smoosh three of those together next FF14 event to get a 15% ATK/HP materia.

Don't worry though... it'll be raining Thancreds again soon enough.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

I totally forgot about the materia upgrades. Back to smushing then!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

This is some funny poo poo that just happened to me. I'm calling it the tale of tumult tumult tumult...

It begins with wrongdance.jpg on turn one.

I tried dualcasting full life on Ling and Luneth, but that didn't make a difference. I then perfectly capped a single Cid DR with Olive's trueshot. That took him down to:

I then got tumult raped to death...

But Olive's mortar shell dropped while he was killing me and drained his health to zero!

I still lost...

Note the health bar is drained.

But I still got the max coins.

So... :confuoot:

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
you missed out on the delicious rank exp

but yeah i stopped bringing more than one unit to exp leech because if he doesn't go down in the first double du dr volley he can possibly wipe the team

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
2017: The Year of Thancred

Bubba Fuzz
May 3, 2009

Been lurking long enough, might as well join the party. Got Noodlebro with Golem + Stone Killer as an attempted anti-Titan friend unit. Could swap him for Gilgamesh if you guys think he'd be more useful.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Cry Havoc posted:

i like how our orlandus are almost identical stat wise

Don't we have the exact same setup?

e: Yup, just you have used a few more HP pots.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 8, 2017

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

So, I may not be able to do ELT Titan, but the game has thrown 3 Y'shtola at me from Titan Coins. And I already had 2 from Ifrit, one from Coins and one from Points. I call that a fair trade.

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less
It has been extra confirmed via sneak peek that we are getting the +30 Max Energy.

Also there's going to be a charity bundle for the Manchester thing.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
On the one hand, that's pretty noble of them. On the other, donating through an abusive mobile game is... weird.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
Well, it was an Ariana Grande concert that was attacked and she has been in the game twice now.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

It better be a drat good bundle, cause I'm not sure how much I trust them to send them whatever percentage of its sales they say they will. I'd rather just donate directly to the fund.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
It says "All profits go to charity" but I've heard some companies have messed around with the definition of "profits" in the past to weasel out of things.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

$10 for a 10 NRG bottle, 1000 gil, 500 friend points and the holy trinity of Shadow, Bedile, and Anzelhm.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Cartoon Man posted:

$10 for a 10 NRG bottle, 1000 gil, 500 friend points and the holy trinity of Shadow, Bedile, and Anzelhm.

It's sad that this is believable

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less
Anyone trying their hand at the unit design contest? I submitted a few. Prolly very little chance of getting on the shortlist but if you don't try you have no chance at all!

https://twitter.com/DanaCrysalis/status/872708987455774720
https://twitter.com/DanaCrysalis/status/872752373063704578
https://twitter.com/DanaCrysalis/status/872766641804894208

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Logged on and my max NRG is 30 higher, what's the deal with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
30 max energy was expected as JP got it on their anniversary, we just seem to have gotten it a couple of weeks early.

• Locked thread