Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruitsnacks
Oct 28, 2007

Aurra posted:

This is my first Tekken game and I'm trying to get some basic fundamentals down. Does Asuka have any way to get launch combos off of punishes in the 10-14(on block) range? If not, what am I looking to punish with?

I get that it's easy for her to get juggles off of sidestepping things into f+2/df+2, but I'm having trouble really punishing people after I block really negative moves.
Asuka doesn't get launch punishes unless the opponent is -15 or worse. In the -10 to -14 range you get single hits or 2-hit strings.

Basic punishes:

10f - 1 (yes, literally just a single jab)
11f - 4
12f - 2,1 (less damage but safe on block if you mistime your punish) or 2,3 (more damage, wall splats, very unsafe on block)
14f - uf2
15f - df2 or f1+2
17f - f2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Fruitsnacks posted:

Asuka doesn't get launch punishes unless the opponent is -15 or worse. In the -10 to -14 range you get single hits or 2-hit strings.

Basic punishes:

11f - 4
12f - 2,1 (less damage but safe on block if you mistime your punish) or 2,3 (more damage, wall splats, very unsafe on block)
14f - uf2
15f - df2 or f1+2
17f - f2
Are these lists just made from looking at the frame data and going "okay this move has these many startup frames, it's a *f punisher" or is it more complicated? They're super helpful and I'd love to see one for Josie.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Any good tips for Gigas? Played around with a few characters and I'm always a sucker for the giant guy in fighters.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Your Computer posted:

Are these lists just made from looking at the frame data and going "okay this move has these many startup frames, it's a *f punisher" or is it more complicated? They're super helpful and I'd love to see one for Josie.

Pretty much that. Knock yourself out! It'll be a good learning experience.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Aris doing good work out there online, it's also pretty :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYD6OICOWaA

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers
ok jumped in and purchased. Anyone have a good link on mechanics of fighting games, meaning of frames and such?

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Played my first ever ranked matches of Tekken tonight and holy poo poo I'm bad. Got three wins in maybe ten matches against other obvious newbies, but everyone else who had the bright idea to block high and throw out moves that I couldn't jab after got some effortless wins. Kinda wish this had a replay system (or a tutorial, or anything other than most nonsense-anime story ever) but it seems like there is a great game hiding in there.

Strings seem kind of weird in this, too, coming from Injustice. If I do a df1,4,2 or f2,3,4 as Josie in practice mode the last few hits can be blocked even if someone eats the first hit in the face. Makes me doubt that even strings alternating mid / low hits would open someone up in the way I'd expect them to in any other game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Oh poo poo i got the yodelling track today.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

1500 posted:

ok jumped in and purchased. Anyone have a good link on mechanics of fighting games, meaning of frames and such?

start here

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
I constantly fantasize about throwing people into volcanos so this game definitely flips those switches for me.

It's really good. My only complaints so far would be the seriously temperamental online mode on PS4 and the god awful story mode. Yeah, it's Tekken and it's not known for that poo poo but the cut scenes (aside from volcano poo poo) are just comically bad.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tekken fix by weekend plz based harada

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm not really sure why they included the journalist narrator at all, he adds pretty much nothing but is also painfully awful

If you removed his stuff entirely it would just be a collection of Heihachi, Kazuya, and Lee doing crazy things which is fine with me

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

DoubleDonut posted:

I'm not really sure why they included the journalist narrator at all, he adds pretty much nothing but is also painfully awful

If you removed his stuff entirely it would just be a collection of Heihachi, Kazuya, and Lee doing crazy things which is fine with me

They basically made an ace combat campaign because why not

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

KingShiro posted:

Aris doing good work out there online, it's also pretty :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYD6OICOWaA
"He knows how to deathfist but not how to block punish, that's crazy"

Aris talked about this stuff in the previous (I guess following?) video about the disconnect between veterans and newbies and trying to understand new players, and I think a lot of Tekken veterans could learn from him. I've had several aha moments looking at his videos, like his most basic but crucial "Tying moves together with movement" video that's in the OP (yeah I should probably re-watch that!) I'm bad at the fundamentals, but at least I have knowledge of them and that's thanks to his videos (and also this very helpful thread :3:)

Nov 3, 2015

:stonk:

what have I gotten myself into

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

1500 posted:

Besides the OP, I saw this video today and it seems like a good intro for the very basic concepts. It will probably also help you decide what character you might want to start with, in conjunction with their other character video and the guide in the OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weR0poIEkKE

Fruitsnacks
Oct 28, 2007

Your Computer posted:

Disclaimer: I don't play Josie. I couldn't find a comprehensive list of punishes in English so I took these from the Japanese wiki. The frame data for everything is not yet 100% confirmed so some things might be wrong. Gotta doublecheck for yourself.

Standing punishes:

10f - 1,4,3 or 1,2,2
12f - f2,4
14f - f1+2 or uf3+4
15f - uf4 or df2
16f - b1+2 or f4,3

Crouching punishes:

10f - FC1
11f - WS4
13f - WS2,1
14f - uf3+4
15f - uf4
16f - WS3

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Played for 4 hours against 3 good players tonight. Feel like i got a handle on all fengs moves and pokes and ways to be a long-mid rear end in a top hat.

Dont think i landed a single bnb all day though. His hop kick is not a particularly great one vs some other characters i've tested and thats the only button i know how to combo off of with d/f+1,d/f+1,d/b+1,4,34

Gotta figure some poo poo out so when i get a f+4 or d/b+4 or d/b+3 or crouch dash 1 or 2 while fishing i can convert into damage instead of flailing

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Fruitsnacks posted:

Disclaimer: I don't play Josie. I couldn't find a comprehensive list of punishes in English so I took these from the Japanese wiki. The frame data for everything is not yet 100% confirmed so some things might be wrong. Gotta doublecheck for yourself.
-snip-
Thanks! I'm combing through the frame data myself now too and trying stuff out in practice mode. Can't say I understand everything (or even most) of it, but it's still interesting. It also reminded me of a question I've had; with launchers like Josie's d/f+2 and u/f+4 that have the same startup and block frames, how exactly do you decide on which one to use? I always figured one of them would be like faster but have worse recovery or something like that but they seem identical frame-wise. d/f+2 seems to have a much better range though, so what's the advantage of the hopkick?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Also rage is such a weird system in that unless you either can have a big life lead at the end of a match or do 25-30% on a guy to kill before he has a chance to enter rage, you have to respect his one button round winning reaction to any attack you do. So many rounds stolen where i need one jab and i get exposed and they armor through with super to kill me when i'm not even in rage.

Its extremely tense but heartbreaking as hell. I think its just an issue at poo poo tier where im at cause in all the pro footage ive been watching it doesnt happen that much

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jun 8, 2017

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Yeah every time I get owned by rage it's a reminder to myself to stop doing dumb unsafe poo poo. It's definitely a mechanic that sees way more play at the garbage level I think.

Played a little poo poo tier ranked. The amount of people I can hit full screen with Alisa's bb 1+4 is.....too high. I really should stop using that dumb move (missile projectile unblockable with long telegraphed startup that should be easily dodgeable and punishable) but it does something insane like 1/3 of a health bar in damage and I laugh every time I hit it. I've been using it for full screen oki.

I knocked a Devil Jin out with it and he finished me off in the next round with full screen laser eyes so I kinda deserved that.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5EiLVv_eE&t=135s

Can anybody tell me what this big overhand move of Steve's is? I swear it's not in the in-game move list and I haven't discovered it just in my own loving around either. I thought it might be something you have to do from a sidestep but far as I can tell Steve doesn't have SS moves. I'm confused!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Just had a fun online match, the first ended with me clinching it 3-2 with my first Double KO (the slow mo fight enders have yet to get old). Then the revenge match went 3-0 my way because I could totally see my opponent get frustrated in real time just by the way they started playing. It became easier to whiff punish them and land a whole combo, which just made them charge in even more aggressively that I just started launching them with impunity.

Felt good. Of course I'm still really bad and can only, like, use a dozen moves with conscious intent, but I can see why people can get totally sucked into this game

fish fingers
Jun 25, 2008

Trykt posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5EiLVv_eE&t=135s

Can anybody tell me what this big overhand move of Steve's is? I swear it's not in the in-game move list and I haven't discovered it just in my own loving around either. I thought it might be something you have to do from a sidestep but far as I can tell Steve doesn't have SS moves. I'm confused!

From peekaboo stance it's d+2, launches on CH but it's slow and people can duck it on reaction.

edit: Steve had one sidestep move which is 1+2 but I haven't checked if it's still in this game

fish fingers fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jun 8, 2017

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn
Jul 11, 2006

You may not know it yet, but I'm your worst nightmare.

Jmcrofts posted:

This is loving 3 hours long but the first part should have some basics (it's ttt2 but it mostly carries over)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj4cc1ldx70

this is a REALLY good guide btw

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn
Jul 11, 2006

Fruitsnacks posted:

Basic punishes:

11f - 4
14f - uf2
15f - df2 or f1+2
17f - f2

well sorta, on 10f she can go for a 1,1 or 1,3 unsafe mixup for some more damage (1,1 is safe and high,mid, 1,3 is unsafe but the second hit is low)

that said, asuka has crappy punishes in general, thats not what she's good at

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn
Jul 11, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

Also rage is such a weird system in that unless you either can have a big life lead at the end of a match or do 25-30% on a guy to kill before he has a chance to enter rage, you have to respect his one button round winning reaction to any attack you do. So many rounds stolen where i need one jab and i get exposed and they armor through with super to kill me when i'm not even in rage.

Its extremely tense but heartbreaking as hell. I think its just an issue at poo poo tier where im at cause in all the pro footage ive been watching it doesnt happen that much

bait that poo poo out. have you played other fighting games? its like baiting dps. the scrubbier a player is, the more likely they're going to do rage arts at low health, so you should be able to predict when they're likely to do them, then block and punish them. the vast majority of them are launch punishable on block (i think -17?)

the ones you need to watch out for because they're different than the rest, which are all basically the same move (i17 mid) are:

steve - faster than usual at i13, also a safe high so duck it
alisa - safe high. duck it. dont stand up too early or you'll eat it anyway
lucky chloe - low

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jun 8, 2017

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn posted:

bait that poo poo out. have you played other fighting games? its like baiting dps. the scrubbier a player is, the more likely they're going to do rage arts at low health, so you should be able to predict when they're likely to do them, then block and punish them. the vast majority of them are launch punishable on block (i think -17?)

I think his point wasn't "I can't deal with rage arts help" and more that having to play in a super passive style to make sure you don't get tagged by a super is kind of dumb and boring.

comparing it to a DP is unfair because in almost every game getting hit by a DP doesn't take 50%, and even stuff like ultras in SF4 aren't really the same because in 2D games you have a lot more options in how you move around the screen and the moves tend to recover a bit faster so its less likely for you to get caught.

like there isn't really something akin to a safe jump in this game, is there? maybe this is just an online issue but I agree with that guy b/c against most people online I proceed to basically just stand there and only do whiff punishes the second they enter rage because there's been too many times where I throw out a 1 or a low kick or something and that was coincidentally the time they arbitrary decided to do rage art from a quarter screen away so I die

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jun 8, 2017

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
I also just think rage arts are kind of a stupid mechanic for all the same reasons sf4 ultras were (super long and boring animation, being something you get every round you're losing encourages low level players to just throw it out randomly because they're losing anyway which is a bad habit that gets them destroyed by good players, the game has similar mechanics that fill the same niche but more effectively) but I can live with them existing just fine

Maximum Planck
Feb 16, 2012

Rage arts, drives and damage amplification all have the potential to make matches more exciting with little downside so I'm all for that stuff.

The mixed language conversations in story mode are consistently funny to me but I'm disappointed that Lars speaks Japanese instead of Swedish! :sweden:

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
WNF owned tonight

https://clips.twitch.tv/TameTentativeAsteriskKappaClaus

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I wish this game had Lei Wulong and a better variety of arenas.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Your Computer posted:

Thanks! I'm combing through the frame data myself now too and trying stuff out in practice mode. Can't say I understand everything (or even most) of it, but it's still interesting. It also reminded me of a question I've had; with launchers like Josie's d/f+2 and u/f+4 that have the same startup and block frames, how exactly do you decide on which one to use? I always figured one of them would be like faster but have worse recovery or something like that but they seem identical frame-wise. d/f+2 seems to have a much better range though, so what's the advantage of the hopkick?

One advantage of hopkicks over other launchers with the same frames is usually that they low crush. Also the tracking properties may be different, and sometimes some launchers don't launch on CH or on crouching opponents (more often true of d/f+2-style punches than kicks I believe?). I have no idea if the latter ones apply to Josie, but the first one probably does at least.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
I did some reading and watching and ended up buying a fight stick (Qanba Drone for $10 off) and, despite waffling back and forth and knowing that a pad is a totally legit way to play, I thought it would be fun pushing big buttons. Thoughts on the Quanba Drone would be useful to me and relevant to my interests.

Then I played a bunch of Tekken last night and doubt my decision, not because the stick is or isn't a bad idea but because holy gently caress Tekken is hard. I started playing with Lili and getting a sense of her move list. I was able to grind through a bunch of Treasure matches, then finished the Arcade mode with her and decided to go online and see what's what.

First match (quick match), I lost 3-1 but the 1 seemed like a really solid effort that was responding to his tactics and adjusting by using things that would counter the poo poo he was busting me up with.

Last night, I started by trying to find a Quick Match and it just would never connect (PS4) or find an opponent. On the odd times when it did, it quickly said "Opponent couldn't connect" or similar. They need to fix that asap.

So I started looking for "Sessions". I eventually found one I could join but it is totally non-obvious what you are supposed to do. I waited around for a while and then a match started. I was getting murdered by this fellow but eventually rallied. He took the first match easily. I almost took the second -- one hit away -- but he ended up finishing it out. Then I came out of the match, said "gg" in the chat and got the message "Removed by host". Was I really THAT bad? Did I make some faux pas by saying "gg"? Did they just not want to play someone so bad? I was perplexed since I felt like, even if I was bad, they'd get an easy win and I'd learn. Why kick me? Any perspective would help because if they don't want to play with someone as bad as me (who clearly says "Beginner" under their name) then I need to rethink things because I won't be good for a while and since it takes FOREVER to get into a game on the PS4, getting kicked after losing seemed like an extra poke in the eye.

How is everyone else initiating matchmaking? Quickmatching? Not even bothering with non-ranked? Also the session screen is baffling with tons of iconography that means nothing to me. I'll need to see if I can find a tutorial or manual or something.

I will say this. -- jumping into a serious fighting as a complete noob is an Everest-level learning curve and culture shock and it hasn't been a ton of fun so far. I will soldier on though because I'm a stubborn person. Also, I've switched to Leo. Maybe that'll help.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

The CD notation in combos is for crouch dash right?

I noticed it for a few of Josie's notations on the top 15 movelist (for example cd3), but as far as I can tell in the movelist she doesn't have a crouch dash.

Are they referring to her slide in stance thing in that case? Or is there a universal crouch dash that every character has access to?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

tyblazitar posted:

One advantage of hopkicks over other launchers with the same frames is usually that they low crush. Also the tracking properties may be different, and sometimes some launchers don't launch on CH or on crouching opponents (more often true of d/f+2-style punches than kicks I believe?). I have no idea if the latter ones apply to Josie, but the first one probably does at least.

Yup, the hopkick low crushes, does a tiny bit more damage and can be done from WS while d/f+2 has more range.

Fruitsnacks posted:

That list is correct as far as I know, there's also f4,3 at 17f standing but not sure how much use that gets.

Elvis_Maximus posted:

The CD notation in combos is for crouch dash right?

I noticed it for a few of Josie's notations on the top 15 movelist (for example cd3), but as far as I can tell in the movelist she doesn't have a crouch dash.

Are they referring to her slide in stance thing in that case? Or is there a universal crouch dash that every character has access to?

She has a crouch dash accessable by the normal command but she can also cancel her switch stance into crouch dash by holding forward. Switch stance and crouch dash movesets are seperate.

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jun 8, 2017

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

he1ixx posted:

I thought it would be fun pushing big buttons.

This is half the reason to play on a stick

The other half is because wiggling the stick is also fun

Nov 3, 2015

I tried the claw thing on a xbox game pad but I just could not get over how uncomfortable it was.

But before I spend hours learning it this way, anything wrong with just using a keyboard? Seems like it would not be much different then a Hit Box controller.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

darealkooky posted:

I think his point wasn't "I can't deal with rage arts help" and more that having to play in a super passive style to make sure you don't get tagged by a super is kind of dumb and boring.

comparing it to a DP is unfair because in almost every game getting hit by a DP doesn't take 50%, and even stuff like ultras in SF4 aren't really the same because in 2D games you have a lot more options in how you move around the screen and the moves tend to recover a bit faster so its less likely for you to get caught.

like there isn't really something akin to a safe jump in this game, is there? maybe this is just an online issue but I agree with that guy b/c against most people online I proceed to basically just stand there and only do whiff punishes the second they enter rage because there's been too many times where I throw out a 1 or a low kick or something and that was coincidentally the time they arbitrary decided to do rage art from a quarter screen away so I die

Thanks for better articulating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

1500 posted:

I tried the claw thing on a xbox game pad but I just could not get over how uncomfortable it was.

But before I spend hours learning it this way, anything wrong with just using a keyboard? Seems like it would not be much different then a Hit Box controller.

If you can hit 4 buttons without ghosting, keyboard is perfectly fine.

Real hurthling! posted:

Thanks for better articulating

You can kill someone doing a rage art through the armor if they're low enough so it's even more of a gamble than usual.