Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

My tip: Unless you were making spreadsheets for the kingdom management stuff a hot knife was involved. The fundamental problem with the entire AP is the pacing doesn't work with the game system, and the kingdom building minigame was extremely terrible, so they patched it, and now it's merely 'very bad.' As a result I'm pretty dubious about anyone porting it unless they are going to change the underlying system and everything else.

Yeah, the main thing I heard from some friends who played it was that it exacerbated the 15 minute adventuring day to an absurd degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Cassa posted:

Playing it with 5e DnD, definitely finding it hard to be invested and the mechanics for the kingdom just appear dumb from the outside.

Maybe replacing the system entirely with An Echo, Resounding or even Kingdom would work out better? An Echo would be easy enough to port since it's OSR

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Maybe replacing the system entirely with An Echo, Resounding or even Kingdom would work out better? An Echo would be easy enough to port since it's OSR

The entire AP would work better transported to over to An echo resounding for the kingdom management stuff to a degree that is physically painful.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

But then we wouldn't be playing DnD. :downs:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
OSR is D&D enough to satisfy all but the pickiest weirdos :colbert:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cassa posted:

But then we wouldn't be playing DnD. :downs:

I'm not trying to rag on your specifically, but I swear the only thing dumber than "we must play D&D!" is "we also can't play something that doesn't specifically say 'Dungeons & Dragons' on the cover"

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
We just spent all that time learning how to play 5e, why learn something else?

Fragged Empire posted an update, and I dig the variant on races, especially for Aeternum, though the Beast one sounds mostly bad?

Gosh these Tolatl's look so happy.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
:siren:gently caress you Capcom.:siren: This is Street FighterMasters a fighting board game. It looks like every other lovely miniature board game out on Kickstarter. $89 or $109 with the Mortal Kombat rip-off expansion.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

:siren:gently caress you Capcom.:siren: This is Street FighterMasters a fighting board game. It looks like every other lovely miniature board game out on Kickstarter. $89 or $109 with the Mortal Kombat rip-off expansion.

Though there are ways to handle a homage in a classy way, that's just fabulously ugly. Their Shadoloo knockoff is absolutely cringeworthy - Dictator had a genderswap and lost his pants! Cammy got a Harley Quinn two-tone! Goro got Blanka's color scheme! Yikes.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Goro got Blanka's color scheme! Yikes.

And two extra arms! That means he's better than both Goro and Blanka!

Personally I can't wait to play "ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL Fighter".

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The Warhammer Quest card game is alright so miniatures aside this might be a decent game.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm the Pikotaro in PPAP ripoff rival.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm the Pikotaro in PPAP ripoff rival.

I'm the Sindel official art that isn't even traced

I'm not saying anyone should report this or anything, but I am saying I'm just too lazy to do it myself

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Of all the yesteryear memes to include in a ripoff fighting game, the pineapple apple pen guy is probably along the least suited. Maybe he was least likely to sue?

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
This card game has the weird art and tons of colour I love
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/imphouse/savage-planet-the-fate-of-fantos

I'm guilty of having bought boardgames without knowing anything about them, just because the box was cool

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

bandaid.friend posted:

I'm guilty of having bought boardgames without knowing anything about them, just because the box was cool

"Zodraz" is a bit too on the nose for me right now.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

I don't understand, does zodraz mean something?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

bandaid.friend posted:

drat that art is killer

But i have no idea what a tableau game is and it looks super complex

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

bandaid.friend posted:

I don't understand, does zodraz mean something?

NILBOG IS GOBLIN SPELLED BACKWARDS

Also I dig the style, but a cursory look leaves me thinking the game might be a bit iffy

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
With a name like that, I was kind of hoping for a Fantastic Planet homage. Still, my childhood tugs at my skirts...

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

alg posted:

drat that art is killer

But i have no idea what a tableau game is and it looks super complex

I think a tableau is where you buy cards with resources and all your cards sit faceup in front of you. You get all the resources and special effects listed on your cards each round. Race for the Galaxy is a popular one

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

moths posted:

Of all the yesteryear memes to include in a ripoff fighting game, the pineapple apple pen guy is probably along the least suited. Maybe he was least likely to sue?

If Pikotaro was a guest fighter in any fighting game, I'd buy it Day 1.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Well, Street Masters already made its goal, so Kyoryu, the guy who is totally legally distinct from Kyo or Ryu, will be coming to a gaming store near you.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Fragged Empire did some stretch goal rejiggering; Fragged Seas is now a $15 add-on, and the AU$45 ($34 USD) gets you all three books and the core in PDF.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Well, Street Masters already made its goal, so Kyoryu, the guy who is totally legally distinct from Kyo or Ryu, will be coming to a gaming store near you.

He's actually just Kyo in Ryo's clothing, so a mashup of two KoF characters instead. :v:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Evil Mastermind posted:

Fragged Empire did some stretch goal rejiggering; Fragged Seas is now a $15 add-on, and the AU$45 ($34 USD) gets you all three books and the core in PDF.
That's where I am. Hell of a deal for 4 pdfs.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Lemon-Lime posted:

He's actually just Kyo in Ryo's clothing, so a mashup of two KoF characters instead. :v:

I almost mixed up Kyo and Ryo in my own head because of his outfit and had to remind myself which was which, true story.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I almost mixed up Kyo and Ryo in my own head because of his outfit and had to remind myself which was which, true story.

I was originally going to point out Ripoff Ryu's name had Ryu in it until you had pointed out Kyo as well.

gently caress, their Oni is literally a recolored Oni from SFV.

EDIT: They even ripped off Joseph Joestar. Nothing is sacred to them.

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 11, 2017

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

Annie, Owner of Bad Squiddo Games. No longer a Garbage Dick. Buy my things, they're great!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1512506318/ghosts-of-gaia-two-reinforcements-28mm-scifi-femal

My latest one, Ghosts of Gaia II. Sculpts by Shane Hoyle and now joined by Tim Prow, Phil Hynes and Alan Marsh.

Ends Wednesday lunchtime, super funded, also has bunnies on bombs :O

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

No love for Minutes to Midnight in here?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Ropes4u posted:

No love for Minutes to Midnight in here?

It looks good, but for me it falls squarely in the "wait til retail" category because I've spent a bunch on boardgame kickstarters this year and there's nothing incredibly compelling about backing this as opposed to waiting.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

This looks like something straight out of Artistic Justice Games and Alexander Lim. Meaning they will run with the money and get shut down with no communication.
The thing looks so much like Return of the Dragon it is uncanny.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Huh. I got a Timewatch adventure in the mail. Was this the compensation for all the blown deadlines?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It looks good, but for me it falls squarely in the "wait til retail" category because I've spent a bunch on boardgame kickstarters this year and there's nothing incredibly compelling about backing this as opposed to waiting.

It does look like their other games are readily available on the web. I enjoy Energy Empire which is why I was considering backing.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

Huh. I got a Timewatch adventure in the mail. Was this the compensation for all the blown deadlines?

Yeah, that happened to me too. The game was supposed to be delivered November 2014, the hardback came out like two years ago, and now this comes out of nowhere. I was wayyy into GUMSHOE when I backed the KS, but, like, that was 2013/2014. I am sooooo not into GUMSHOE now.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I just unbacked Madcap https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sanguine/madcap-screwball-cartoon-role-play-for-tabletop. They released the quick rules and well it kind of tells you how to make a cartoon game, the system does you no favors, the playbooks only have two moves and default stats, and the book isn't funny. I'm not paying for a cartoon game that isn't funny.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm just trying to figure out how a PbtA "cartoon" game would work in the first place.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm just trying to figure out how a PbtA "cartoon" game would work in the first place.

probably without playbooks. there's a bunch of moves - I'd rename them "gimmicks"- and you just pick a handful of them for your character. strip away anything that makes PCs actually good at doing things because failing a lot is funny and success-but-something-bad-happens is funnier. PBTA's inherent "so what do you do" and "then what happens" are both good at facilitating fast-moving comedy scenes.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

It's not a bad idea per se, but a humor game probably isn't the best first project for a writer with no obvious experience in humor or games. Humor games are loving hard, perhaps the hardest kind of game to write and the fastest to date itself. Anything funny to someone is going to be obnoxious to somebody else and it's a tightrope act to just try and be funny to more people than not. I do humor a lot in game writing, but I mostly see it as a self-indulgence and if somebody actually finds it funny, that's more of an added bonus than a sign I know how to write jokes.

Also, it looks like it has some furry culture in there, and while that'll get some backers to be sure, I don't think it fits as much as... well, furries might think it fits? YMMV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

It lost me at the confusion of "jugular" for "jocular," frankly. Their attempts at jokes on the KS page are also all dire.