Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

so you have a mage, a beatstick and some weird sort of pseudo-mage. If the UMD paladin is planning on staying out of melee range, the beatstick might want a buddy to shank with. A roguey guy liked you mention, or maybe a buddy user, with an animal companion or whatnot. For roguery, I generally prefer ninjas/alchemists because they're strictly better than rogue.

Paladins can do the buddy user thing, if you want to go all in on the gimmick. I don't remember what archetypes work on that though I was thinking of Empyreal Knight and Sacred Servant

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

You could also try seeing if you could go Empiricist archetype Investigator. Your party could use knowledge checks, strong skills and Roguey stuff and Empiricists are extremely good at those things.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Was literally just about to suggest that myself. Empiricist Investigator is probably the best skill monkey in the game.

If you want to go turbo religion still and it fits your character and the game's setting, I'd suggest looking into Irori's Deific Obedience feat, which will give you a tasty +4 to all knowledge checks in exchange for performing a devotion to Irori every day.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Leraika posted:

Was literally just about to suggest that myself. Empiricist Investigator is probably the best skill monkey in the game.

If you want to go turbo religion still and it fits your character and the game's setting, I'd suggest looking into Irori's Deific Obedience feat, which will give you a tasty +4 to all knowledge checks in exchange for performing a devotion to Irori every day.
She has a pretty easy obedience, too. You just need to carry around some books and...hair.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
If you're not playing in the type of group that would throw an autistic bitch fit about giving up alchemy and not being optimal, the Majordomo archtype for Investigator seems to fill the missing gap in the party as well as fitting well into what I understand the Kingmaker setting to be.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Man, I don't even know why I bother making characters when the game just falls apart before it can even start. :negative:

I just want to play Pathfinder damnit.

Are these IRL or online games?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Investigator can be frustratingly ineffective in combat, sometimes even more so than core rogue, especially if you play from level 1. Alchemist and Inquisitor both do skill monkey things while also still having clear, effective combat niches.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Karatela posted:

I have considered Alchemists, Ninjas, an Inquisitor to fit this turbo-religion kick that's going, and the Guide Ranger, among other stuff, and I am really unsure what would compliment this hot mess. I just don't know what will support this clusterfuck and while the adventure paths tend to be tuned pretty easy, I don't want to just slap whatever poo poo into place, and I am lost.

So now I am kinda looking for alternate ideas or suggestions or even if people push the same thing at me, because I am just stuck here and can't seem to work myself out of that hole.

I'm running Kingmaker right now for our group, and I am constantly tweaking or entirely rewriting encounters to make them more engaging. The "base" level of difficulty is very low, even by the standards of Paizo adventure paths.

You have two paladins and a Cleric/Sorcerer Theurge? Here are some suggestions:

- Magus. Decent melee combat and armor (eventually advancing to heavy armor) on top of a secondary (6-level) spellcaster progression. Int-based spellcasting means even with 2 skill ranks per level, you'll have more skill points than the rest of the party. Works better if you have a hefty point buy, as you'll want int for spellcasting, con for HP, and strength for your melee attacks.
* If your GM will allow it, you may want to consider the Eldritch Archer archetype for the Magus, as it allows you to perform Spell Combat with a ranged weapon and use Ranged Spellstrike to deliver touch spells through your ranged attacks
- If your GM will allow it, the Unchained Rogue from Pathfinder Unchained is a solid revamp of the class that gives it some much-needed love. Among other things, it gets Weapon Finesse for free at 1st level and gets dex to damage with one melee weapon, and you add more weapons as you level up.
* If your GM will not allow Unchained Rogue, then Ninja is a fantastically solid second place. Being able to provide your own invisibility (and later greater invisibility) on demand is incredibly convenient. You can burn a ninja talent to take Rogue's Trap Spotter if you don't want to be diligent about searching for traps.

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer
I had thought I was thorough on giving info but I forgot to mention the point buy is 35(!) points so yeah MAD stuff shouldn't be any real issue.

SweetBro posted:

If you're not playing in the type of group that would throw an autistic bitch fit about giving up alchemy and not being optimal, the Majordomo archtype for Investigator seems to fill the missing gap in the party as well as fitting well into what I understand the Kingmaker setting to be.

If ANYONE in the group was likely to flip like that, it'd be me, and I give far too few fucks to ever do so. The nerdherd I run with is many things, but optimizer isn't really one of them (in d20 games anyway). Majordomo looks rather interesting, especially since it seems to fit in so well. I am imagining some sort of combat butler going on here, which while an old gimmick isn't one I have used in a game yet.

Eldritch Archer Magus seems a good fit too, more than the base Magus is. The basic gimmick at play there to my knowledge is still basically "Shocking Grasp and metamagic every cast and every day, unless its immune to electricity" more or less, right? Even at range I'm not sure that'd change much.

I'm looking at the Unchained Rogue and thinking that it's pretty nifty. The skill unlocks seem a little fiddly and a lot of poo poo to keep track of conditionally, how does it work out in play having 8-10 of them to track per 5 levels we go?

Ninja I am still holding I think as my solid backup option if all else fails, here.

I really do appreciate all the advice and suggestions though, I hadn't even known about half of these archetypes!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I think you use snowball instead of shocking grasp if you're ranged, but I honestly know between poo poo and all about the magus.

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

Leraika posted:

I think you use snowball instead of shocking grasp if you're ranged, but I honestly know between poo poo and all about the magus.

I just re-read the Eldritch Archer and hadn't noticed till now that instead of "touch" spells it goes for all ones that call for a "ranged attack" and I am still kinda impressed with that. I'll need to figure out the gimmick there.

Gonna send off the list and see what gets greenlit!

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

SweetBro posted:

Are these IRL or online games?

Real life.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Is there a particular book or resource that has a good breakdown of various planes? I haven't really found much beyond the high-level descriptions of the major planes.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Elysiume posted:

Is there a particular book or resource that has a good breakdown of various planes? I haven't really found much beyond the high-level descriptions of the major planes.

Paizo hasn't really done that much with their planes as a setting since the 8-year old 3.5 book (!) The Great Beyond. We did get Planes of Power last year which covered the Elemental Planes, but the Outer Planes in Pathfinder have really only been covered in the context of the Celestial and Fiendish lords and princes, and the various Bestiaries. Maybe we'll get some more info in the forthcoming Book of the Damned, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. They kinda seemed to have moved on to Starfinder.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
So in the ultimate intrigue book I'm noticing that the spring blade has a range of 10ft. I'm assuming that means if you throw it and not "this tiny pocket knife is huge" right?

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Correct, if it was a really big knife it'd have the weapon property Reach.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm thinking about applying to a PF game, but I've never played before. I have D&D 5 experience and a single session of 4, which I liked well enough.

I am daunted by the sheer amount of material in the ecosystem, which I don't expect to master in time for this campaign. If I were interested in playing a tactical/control sort of character, what should I be looking at such that I don't embarrass myself utterly (or, worse, hold the party back)? I value out-of-combat flexibility, fwiw.

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

I'm thinking about applying to a PF game, but I've never played before. I have D&D 5 experience and a single session of 4, which I liked well enough.

I am daunted by the sheer amount of material in the ecosystem, which I don't expect to master in time for this campaign. If I were interested in playing a tactical/control sort of character, what should I be looking at such that I don't embarrass myself utterly (or, worse, hold the party back)? I value out-of-combat flexibility, fwiw.

Assuming you have no real limit in terms of what you can use, including 3rd party stuff, stuff from Path of War comes highly recommended and is solid and good.

Limited to Paizo stuff, the simplest and easiest (in a certain way) is to make a Wizard or Arcanist and specialize in buff and terrain control spells. Boost your pals, deploy pits and walls and webs and poo poo all over the place to lock stuff down for your martials, revel in never having saving throws be an issue. Control casters like that are almost never useless even if you gently caress up all over, unless you decide that you are gonna dump your casting stat and not prepare any spells for the day or the like.

As a bonus, its still a full caster who can pop scrolls and wands and the like without effort (and make them too!) and being able to cast all sorts of spells on command means you are never remotely useless.

In terms of something less castery, I am far less sure what to recommend. I ended up going with the Majordomo Investigator for my Kingmaker game that we just started, which is more of a fairly weak tactical character. Loads of skill utility with Inspiration, but the Delegate feature sharing teamwork feats is not doing me many favours so far (mainly that 30 foot radius to start sharing...). An Alchemist or an Investigator would likely help out a lot more on filling in buffs and healing and blasting stuff down, while keeping a lot of skillpoints on hand to fill whatever skill niches you want.

Within Paizo stuff, I am not sure at all in terms of a useful control/tactical character that isn't a caster at all. Hopefully someone else can help with that!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Karatela posted:

Assuming you have no real limit in terms of what you can use, including 3rd party stuff, stuff from Path of War comes highly recommended and is solid and good.

Limited to Paizo stuff, the simplest and easiest (in a certain way) is to make a Wizard or Arcanist and specialize in buff and terrain control spells

An Alchemist or an Investigator would likely help out a lot more on filling in buffs and healing and blasting stuff down, while keeping a lot of skillpoints on hand to fill whatever skill niches you want.

Thanks! I'll check out Path of War for sure, and your other suggestions.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Paizo has hinted for a long time that they wanted to do outer planes as an outer space thing, not the traditional alternate dimensions D&D take. I'd bet Starfinder is descended from those ideas.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Elysiume posted:

Occult Adventures has a pretty neat writeup of a handful of planes, and the books Heaven/Hell Unleashed have some scenarios of various levels set in the planes iirc.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Gonna be heading home soon. My GM mentioned that they need an arcane caster for their Saturday game. I've already done witch and wizard. I was thinking maybe Arcanist as a change of pace. Any particularly interesting archetypes I should be looking at?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

JackMann posted:

Gonna be heading home soon. My GM mentioned that they need an arcane caster for their Saturday game. I've already done witch and wizard. I was thinking maybe Arcanist as a change of pace. Any particularly interesting archetypes I should be looking at?
I mostly stopped paying attention to the Arcanist after realizing it was just wizard+ (until wizards got their poo poo too, because of course). Brown Fur Transmuter is nice for buffing, as I recall.

EDIT: why is the DM looking specifically for an Arcane Caster, by the by?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
He's a bit old school, and likes to see the main roles filled out. Right now they have a cleric, a fighter, a ranger and a paladin. No one wanted to play an arcane caster.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What do Alchemists do when they aren't throwing bombs? I don't really want to tank, so do I just carry a brace of darts?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Subjunctive posted:

What do Alchemists do when they aren't throwing bombs? I don't really want to tank, so do I just carry a brace of darts?

If I'm doing bombs, I usually go grenadier and use the free weapon proficiency to grab a bow.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

JackMann posted:

He's a bit old school, and likes to see the main roles filled out. Right now they have a cleric, a fighter, a ranger and a paladin. No one wanted to play an arcane caster.
I see. Arcanists are essentially sorcerers who can change their spell list out on a day to day basis, like a wizard. If you would considerer sorcerer as a change of pace from wizard/witch, arcanist would probably fit the bill as well.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Leraika posted:

If I'm doing bombs, I usually go grenadier and use the free weapon proficiency to grab a bow.

I didn't even know Grenadier was a thing. I suspect I'm buying another PDF!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Subjunctive posted:

I didn't even know Grenadier was a thing. I suspect I'm buying another PDF!

If you're not playing PFS, there's always the SRD (is that :filez:?)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Leraika posted:

It's not

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
I have a witch question for you guys. I just hit level 4, and was looking at new spells and a hex. Just pumped my Int to 20, which means bonus spells are in order as well as a nice bump up of my D.C. I've picked up Evil Eye and Slumber as my Hexes so far, but now I'm debating between Cackle and Flight. It appears that both have merit, and we are starting on Strange Aeons book Two. Since book one was entirely in a asylum, flight was kind of silly. Not wanting spoilers but I'm unsure if it still will be. Secondly, cackle will only affect evil eye, and for the most part it lasts so bloody long as is that I'm not usually concerned about it falling off before the problem is killed.

From what I can tell, cackle really only seems worth it if you have fortune or Agony? Since misfortune requires a save, which means I probably should have used slumber or hold person instead, which are better save or be disabled abilities.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

JackMann posted:

Brown Fur Transmuter archetype lets you spend an Arcane Reservoir point to cast any Transmutation school spell with a range of Self on an ally. You're the strongest buffer in the Pathfinder because you can cast Beast Shape/Monstrous Physique allies. You can then give them an extra +2 to a physical stat modified by the spell, because why not make the archetype more powerful?

The big thing about Arcanists are their Arcane Exploits, specifically Quick Study and Dimensional Slide. Quick Study lets you swap out any prepared spell for one in your spellbook as a full round action, and Dimensional Slide lets you teleport up to 10 feet per level as part of a move action and doesn't provoke attacks of opportunity. Your quality of life as an Arcanist is just super high. You never have to worry about getting cornered or not having the right spell prepared or known. Arcanists are super strong and can break games fairly easily just by getting those two exploits and filling up spellbooks with as many spells as possible though, so make sure to tune it to the campaign.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

JackMann posted:

If you don't go arcanist (and also don't go alchemist), some alternative options are summoner, psychic, or spiritualist. Occultist can also do traditional wizard things but it's extremely obtuse. Kineticist is fun and feels like a wizard but doesn't have nearly the versatility.

Drowning Rabbit posted:

I have a witch question for you guys. I just hit level 4, and was looking at new spells and a hex. Just pumped my Int to 20, which means bonus spells are in order as well as a nice bump up of my D.C. I've picked up Evil Eye and Slumber as my Hexes so far, but now I'm debating between Cackle and Flight. It appears that both have merit, and we are starting on Strange Aeons book Two. Since book one was entirely in a asylum, flight was kind of silly. Not wanting spoilers but I'm unsure if it still will be. Secondly, cackle will only affect evil eye, and for the most part it lasts so bloody long as is that I'm not usually concerned about it falling off before the problem is killed.

From what I can tell, cackle really only seems worth it if you have fortune or Agony? Since misfortune requires a save, which means I probably should have used slumber or hold person instead, which are better save or be disabled abilities.

If you don't have childscent, what are you even doing

More seriously, cackle is pretty marginal, especially if you only have evil eye to boost. I'd go for a utility hex, like tongues, water lung, disguise, or yeah, flight.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jun 6, 2017

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

JackMann posted:

Go for the comedy options.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Leraika posted:

When my alchemist isn't bombing, I usually focus on handing out buffs (because my group sucks at remembering to take a few minutes to buff up before starting the fight). Bow is definitely a last resort.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Selachian posted:

When my alchemist isn't bombing, I usually focus on handing out buffs (because my group sucks at remembering to take a few minutes to buff up before starting the fight). Bow is definitely a last resort.

How do you hand out buffs as an alchemist since your party member presumably need to use their own actions to drink the infusions?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Leraika posted:

Even if you are, I think (might be wrong) you can use the PRD to get grenadier without spending any money. It's in the Monster Codex, which should be up there.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Arivia posted:

Even if you are, I think (might be wrong) you can use the PRD to get grenadier without spending any money. It's in the Monster Codex, which should be up there.

You can't use the PRD for any options you use in PFS, you have to own the hardcover source or a watermarked PDF.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Number Ten Cocks posted:

You can't use the PRD for any options you use in PFS, you have to own the hardcover source or a watermarked PDF.

NM was working off an old guide

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
what was the name of the pathfinder spelljammer thing? was it starfinder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Doorknob Slobber posted:

what was the name of the pathfinder spelljammer thing? was it starfinder?

Yes. Out at Gencon.