Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Holy gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Wow. This wasn't on anyone's radar, was it?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Art Core...velay posted:

With every passing year it becomes clearer that Gruden did just this. Not a college coach, though.

I would pay good money for a podcast or something of Gruden being Gruden about football. Just because imagining him with no filter sounds amazing.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

How many Stoops are there?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

How many Stoops are there?

3 (well now 2) coaching, 4 total, I think

E: oh hey the oldest one is actually an assistant at Youngstown. He was the only one who didn't play at Iowa so I never really paid attention to him

MourningView fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 7, 2017

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

So someone poorly 'shopped Tom Herman in an A&M cap?

Lone Star Showdown revival confirmed

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I remember when I used to spend like 30 bucks each summer for all the magazines.

Also holy poo poo Texas has a magazine for high school football. Also holy poo poo Texas has 1400 football teams.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Crotch Bat posted:

Also holy poo poo Texas has a magazine for high school football. Also holy poo poo Texas has 1400 football teams.

If a school is too small to field a team, they play 6 man.

EDIT: Behold the glory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYLKW-euMDA

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
RIP Bob. Here's to hoping that Lincoln keeps OU on track, the Big XII can't survive a lovely Texas and lovely OU.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Bob Stoops is on Fox Sports Southwest right now giving his farewell address.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
Urban Meyer Bob Stoops retired because he was scared of Nick Saban Tom Herman always beating him

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Sab0921 posted:

RIP Bob. Here's to hoping that Lincoln keeps OU on track, the Big XII can't survive a lovely Texas and lovely OU.

The big xii has been doing great with Texas lately

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I, for one, welcome the Big XII's new overlord, Iowa State.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

blugu64 posted:

Bring back the lone star showdown

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Sab0921 posted:

You say this like the Big 12 dying would be a bad thing.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
The lone star showdown was great because you could always tell that when the corps marched on Austin, there were a few guys there that wanted to throw a coup, disband the state government, and defund the UT system.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
holy poo poo

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I wonder how much differently people would view Stoops if he'd won the title in the middle or end of his career instead of at the very beginning. Like obviously he's an all time great coach either way, but it kinda feels like people never gave the fact that he'd won a national title enough credit when they did all that dumb BIG GAME BOB poo poo because it happened in his second season and was followed with a couple decades of being among the best teams in the sport but not quite the very best

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
thank you sweet baby whit babcock for extending justin fuente's contract not too long ago

Boo This Man
Mar 25, 2008

Dirk Pitt posted:

Switzer said Stoops was unpacking in his new office just last week. Still floored by this.

I heard that on both of the sports stations here in Oklahoma. It is still crazy that he announced that he was retiring.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MourningView posted:

I wonder how much differently people would view Stoops if he'd won the title in the middle or end of his career instead of at the very beginning. Like obviously he's an all time great coach either way, but it kinda feels like people never gave the fact that he'd won a national title enough credit when they did all that dumb BIG GAME BOB poo poo because it happened in his second season and was followed with a couple decades of being among the best teams in the sport but not quite the very best

People wildly underestimate how hard it is to pretty consistently get 9 to 11 wins almost every year.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

MourningView posted:

Its going to be interesting to see how quickly people forget how much luck played into a national championship game appearance compared to today with there being a playoff now.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

whiteyfats posted:

People wildly underestimate how hard it is to pretty consistently get 9 to 11 wins almost every year.

It's because many fans of bigger schools that do this assume they can always win that many because "we are (insert school name here)"

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Crotch Bat posted:

I remember when I used to spend like 30 bucks each summer for all the magazines.

It isn't summer if I don't spend some time on a beach somewhere trying to decode Phil Steele's abbreviation system and read his ALL CAPS IMPORTANT STUFF ABOUT HOW AWESOME PHIL STEELE IS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

I was 6 in okc when Stoops became head coach. It's hard to imagine ou, hell college football, without him. I'm glad that Riley got the job and can inject some new blood into the program.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

whiteyfats posted:

See: Cornhuskers, Nebraska

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

MourningView posted:

If the playoffs were around, I think the opinion of him would be wildly different. He likely would have made 6 playoff appearances (2000, 2003, 2004, 2008, 2010, 2015)

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Sash! posted:

It isn't summer if I don't spend some time on a beach somewhere trying to decode Phil Steele's abbreviation system and read his ALL CAPS IMPORTANT STUFF ABOUT HOW AWESOME PHIL STEELE IS!!!!!!!!!!!!

My favorite part about Phil Steele is where he came up with so many different ways to rank teams that eventually he'd be mostly right about one of them and be able to say "correctly picked the top 25 (in something) 11 years in a row!" or some such bullshit.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

MourningView posted:

The Florida-Oklahoma title game in January 2009 was pretty close, with some key stops by the Gators' D. He could have easily had a second title in the middle of his tenure.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

LLCoolJD posted:

The Florida-Oklahoma title game in January 2009 was pretty close, with some key stops by the Gators' D. He could have easily had a second title in the middle of his tenure.

45-35 forever. Bob's only illegitimate Big XII title.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Sab0921 posted:

45-35 forever. Bob's only illegitimate Big XII title.

39-33

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I dreamed it in my head!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

gently caress that game forever.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Stoops will sit out a year and come back to coach the Tennessee Volunteers in 2018.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Stoops will sit out a year and come back to coach the Tennessee Volunteers in 2018.

For how much he poo poo on the SEC I would be shocked if he ever coached any team in the SEC

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

a&m back to big 12, so he can keep playing Texas

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Joey Freshwater posted:

For how much he poo poo on the SEC I would be shocked if he ever coached any team in the SEC

I could see him coaching Florida if McElwain sucks this year or gets caught loving another shark.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

The Blake Gideon Experience feat. Crabtree was a GOAT album.

E: In honor of the 10th anniversary of the greatest song ever written, going to refer to it as Three Stacks Big XII feat. Stoop Kid, Big Mack and Mike the Pirate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awMIbA34MT8

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Dabo Swinney has beaten every active National Championship winning coach

• Locked thread