Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Yeah nah, there's got to be more to it than that, he was gone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

NTRabbit posted:

Yeah nah, there's got to be more to it than that, he was gone

You'd know as well as anyone how the AFL media loves to pump up the likelihood of players at interstate clubs walking out to go home to Victoria.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

racing identity posted:

You'd know as well as anyone how the AFL media loves to pump up the likelihood of players at interstate clubs walking out to go home to Victoria.

They granted him leave to go home and assess his future, that's a bit more than the average speculation

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
350k is a lot for an NEAFL player. I know I was potting people bagging young key position players just last week, but that's a good chunk of change for someone who is literally providing nothing for the senior team at the moment.

Apolis
Mar 4, 2004

Paddy McCartin is on a lot more than 350k, for comparison.

NTRabbit posted:

They granted him leave to go home and assess his future, that's a bit more than the average speculation

They said the leave had nothing to do with that. They also gave McCluggage extra time off.

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6G6yV03abA

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I can't believe the swans are favourites tonight. Have people not watched any football this year?

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

hiddenmovement posted:

350k is a lot for an NEAFL player. I know I was potting people bagging young key position players just last week, but that's a good chunk of change for someone who is literally providing nothing for the senior team at the moment.

Tom Boyd says g'day

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
dees currently paying $1.62 to collingwood's $2.30

how many times do the betting agencies need to keep being burned by the dees before they wisen up?

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Apolis posted:

Paddy McCartin is on a lot more than 350k, for comparison.

Do you have a source for this? I haven't really thought much about it but I don't recall seeing anything about what he's being payed.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

monolithburger posted:

How dare you speak ill of Bump.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ok I didn't know about bump before

Edit: jump cuts are very bad, though.

realbez fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jun 8, 2017

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

The crowd has been making a non stop 'awwww' sound of disappointment and frustration

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

hiddenmovement posted:

The crowd has been making a non stop 'awwww' sound of disappointment and frustration

all 600 of them

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

this game sucks

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

It turns out publicly crying about umpiring bias vs the Bulldogs works. Thanks Horse

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Swans should have kicked 4 more goals than they have.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I guess the bookies were right

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Can someone buy Gocsy an account please?

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
God drat the umpires have lost the plot with deliberate calls in this game.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

atrocious umpiring in general imo

e: did channel 7 just cut to an ad from a behind?

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jun 8, 2017

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
This score is pretty flattering to the Dogs imo.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Welp. So much for my margin (25 to doggies)

Rip my tips

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
I completely forgot there was a game on tonight and thus forgot to tip

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

put both hands in posted:

I completely forgot there was a game on tonight and thus forgot to tip
It's OK, you would've tipped the Dogs probably.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Very bad press for the bombers on the front page of the Hun this morning. Nathan Lovett-Murray on his 3 yo daughter's health problems: "There's no doubt in my mind that the injection program we were put through has had some impact on my daughter. It's something I think about everyday."

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

realbez posted:

Very bad press for the bombers on the front page of the Hun this morning. Nathan Lovett-Murray on his 3 yo daughter's health problems: "There's no doubt in my mind that the injection program we were put through has had some impact on my daughter. It's something I think about everyday."

I'm sure all the "we support the players" cultists are right behind him

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Not to defend the wacky regime of Mr.hird but I'm not sure there's much evidence that thymosin beta 3 can gently caress up a persons sperm like that. Maybe if it were the mother but I find it a bit spurious.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
It's very likely the injection program and his daughter's health issues are not connected, but if I was in NLM's position I would probably find it difficult to avoid having the same fears and resentments he's having so I don't blame him one bit.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah they might not be connected at all but given Essendon and everyone involved have been 'unable' to disclose what was given to the players, they've left themselves vulnerable to this kind of thing.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

didnt paddy ryder get told that the regime could potentially affect his kids which was one of the driving factors that got him to leave essendon?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

realbez posted:

Yeah they might not be connected at all but given Essendon and everyone involved have been 'unable' to disclose what was given to the players, they've left themselves vulnerable to this kind of thing.

I hope this bites them hard.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Martin Flanagan has left Fairfax too

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

tnimark posted:

It's very likely the injection program and his daughter's health issues are not connected, but if I was in NLM's position I would probably find it difficult to avoid having the same fears and resentments he's having so I don't blame him one bit.

According to the guy with the info, NLM's manager wanted far more money than even the third party lawyers that handle the compensation payouts considered reasonable and this is the result. It sounds like the medical opinion is that there aren't many chemicals that can damage your swimmers over a year after you were exposed to it, and the ones that do have some pretty obvious side effects to other parts of your body so it is highly unlikely that what happened at Essendon is the cause.

The club has been aware that there would be stories like this making headlines from time to time in the aftermath of the scandal (we've already had those recordings of that meeting and the blackmail attempt by former employees), there really isn't much they can do about it except focus on the footy.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Martin Flanagan has left Fairfax too

A saw that, the cupboard is starting to look pretty bare as far as decent footy journos go.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

is anyone likely to give connolly or flanagan jobs? fox footy seems to be going strong but no other news sites seem to have a large team to cover AFL. the guardian is pretty half assed, espn seem to have about 2 writers, vice sports put up about 1 article a month.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Testekill posted:

I hope this bites them hard.

I hope it bites Hird, Dank and co. hard if shown to be a connection. But Essendon as a club with the shitstains that ran that program gone are not who I'd include in "them".

But yeah, on one hand it might be hard to draw a link between the illness and drugs program. Could easily be a myriad of many other factors. But can't blame NLM at all for being suspicious and I hope that if a link is proven that this includes jail time for those who ran it. Hird's mental health factored in - he was party to it so he'd need to pay the price for it and if that means inprisonment and then checks on his mental health so be it.

As for what experts say, it's a mixed bag again. Some have said it's *possible* there's a link. Others have said it was a scare tactic by ASADA during the investigation which was largely unfounded to try and get people talking/turning on the club. The whole thing is such a loving mess that it makes these sorts of investigations, which are far more important than a player's guilt/innocence, very tough to carry through.

E: Essendon related, we launched a bid for an Women's team which is rad! But if we get a licence I think I'd be genuinely quite conflicted over supporting. Even if it was only a year and they didn't do super well, I really got into supporting the Bulldogs and players like Blackburn, Kearney, and Brennan. I mean I'd have to support a Bombers Women's team but I think I'd have to pull double duty and have a second team, at least for awhile.

thepokey fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jun 9, 2017

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Sam Lane gone too

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
The Saints are gonna get flogged tonight. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Jesus just wrap up the whole operation already

Is the age actually unprofitable or us this just a bunch of owners squeezing blood from that particular stone?

• Locked thread