Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It was the Cursed Company which included undead dwarves, lizardmen, and orcs. The Company welcomes all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah, the Cursed Company stands out as the one example of undead everything. Very strange, but certainly a cool idea.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

In a giant loving line with a couple cannons behind and cannons behind, like a proper redcoat army. It also helps to put Karl Franz out in front.

But checkboards are the easiest. I like \_/ shapes with the _ being the guns if my army is larger. Inverted W's are cool as well. As dwarves I love splitting the army into two distinct diamonds that can can be unfolded to allow the guns from one to cover the other.

All that said, if you can actually micro formations, you can do infinitely more effective poo poo by moving things around, but I will grant that involves less zooming in on poo poo exploding.

And finally, SFO is dumb and gives the player massive advantages imho, as the AI isn't able to utilize any of it.

Vastly unlike vanilla warhams, in which the AI expertly utilizes its faction's strengths

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Yea I've found SFO really helps the AI in battles. If anything at least it tweaks the AI army composition so you don't have 10 crossbow men, 5 mortar and 5 free company militia AI armies.

I've noticed in SFO there are multiple buildings and building routes to unlocking the same units, pretty sure that is specifically to help the AI.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I was convinced the Race Pack was going to be Dogs of War, but one of the designers on Reddit posted some teases.

quote:

Your all so cold ❄

quote:

I know Goatamon, wish I could tell you now what it is and to stop you wandering. The team is all working very hard on it, to make it as exciting and fun as our other races. I hope that you will enjoy the new features and content when it's released.

So now I'm backing Norsca led by Wulfrick the Wanderer, or something completely out of left field.

I do think we'll get Dogs of War still though, maybe as the pre-order bonus for Game 2.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Captain Beans posted:

Yea I've found SFO really helps the AI in battles. If anything at least it tweaks the AI army composition so you don't have 10 crossbow men, 5 mortar and 5 free company militia AI armies.

I've noticed in SFO there are multiple buildings and building routes to unlocking the same units, pretty sure that is specifically to help the AI.

There's got to be something doing work in my cocktail of mods, I've picked up Steel Faith and Marienburg is sending three stacks of units at me.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

madmac posted:

I was convinced the Race Pack was going to be Dogs of War, but one of the designers on Reddit posted some teases.

So now I'm backing Norsca led by Wulfrick the Wanderer, or something completely out of left field.

I do think we'll get Dogs of War still though, maybe as the pre-order bonus for Game 2.

The loving trollmasters that is CA, goddamn

GODDAMN

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Ammanas posted:

Ambush stance + lightning strike + free company militia. If you're playing below vh battles they'll route really quickly

You have lightning strike turn 5?

Hell I rarely ever get that because making my Lord into some invincible God is too fun.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Corrode posted:

I feel like this isn't true because there was a skeleton Dwarf in one of the Regiments of Renown (the toy soldiers versions, not the TWW ones), but I can't for the life of me remember which one it was and it might well have been a Goblin instead.

One of the entries in the Book of Grudges is against a Von Carstein who killed a bunch of dwarfs, then reanimated them as a traveling minstrel show.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Terrible Opinions posted:

It was the Cursed Company which included undead dwarves, lizardmen, and orcs. The Company welcomes all.

That's the one. The only picture I could find with a cursory google:

The gobbo skeleton drummer :3:

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Gejnor posted:

The loving trollmasters that is CA, goddamn

GODDAMN

If it is Norsca/Wulfrick, the real question is who the second LL will be.

I could maybe see Throgg the Troll King in that role, since Troll Spam fits a little better with Norsca than with Warriors of Chaos proper.

http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Throgg

http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Wulfrik_the_Wanderer

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Cythereal posted:

One of the entries in the Book of Grudges is against a Von Carstein who killed a bunch of dwarfs, then reanimated them as a traveling minstrel show.

If there's one thing Von Carsteins knew before GW forgot and turned them into clamshell wearing Orc extras from LOTR, it's theatrics.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

madmac posted:

Valkia would be rad.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

madmac posted:

I could maybe see Throgg the Troll King in that role, since Troll Spam fits a little better with Norsca than with Warriors of Chaos proper.

http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Throgg

Throgg would be great as a monster-specific LL. Troll spam is at least more interesting than marauder/chariot-spam.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Valkia would be rad.

Yeah, after thinking about it another minute Valkia is also a good choice, she's basically an evil Valkyrie so it fits the metal viking theme really well.

http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Valkia_the_Bloody

Who knows, we could get three in total.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

madmac posted:

Wulfrick would definitely get a special ability to cause an enemy unit to enter rampage.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
If it is a Norsca update for the race pack, which I could totally see as they're also going to be hanging around in the north of Warhammer 2, what do we think is the FLC update that benefits all factions?

Also what units does Norsca get in lore. Right now they have Marauders, Marauder Horsemen, Dogs, Trolls and that's literally it.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Zore posted:

If it is a Norsca update for the race pack, which I could totally see as they're also going to be hanging around in the north of Warhammer 2, what do we think is the FLC update that benefits all factions?

Also what units does Norsca get in lore. Right now they have Marauders, Marauder Horsemen, Dogs, Trolls and that's literally it.

Forgeworld gives them mammoths apparently.

In the super-old Warhammer editions before they were Chaos themed they were basically just Vikings. Berserkers, Jarls, Huskarls, ect. Also there's some vestiges of Wolfmen and Bearmen in the lore. Like, they have Wolfmen and Yeti's in their Bloodbowl team, and the Bearmen of Ursio were an official Norsca regiment of renown/Dogs of War unit for a long time.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Party Elite posits that it's possible that this will not be Norsca or Estalia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOD4fK8f3JI

It'll be the Skaven as the ultimate troll by CA, which is why all the details haven't been Ratified. Rather than being the 4th Race in game 2, they'll be the final race of Game 1 and let Tomb Kings take their place in Game 2.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

madmac posted:

Forgeworld gives them mammoths apparently.

In the super-old Warhammer editions before they were Chaos themed they were basically just Vikings. Berserkers, Jarls, Huskarls, ect. Also there's some vestiges of Wolfmen and Bearmen in the lore. Like, they have Wolfmen and Yeti's in their Bloodbowl team, and the Bearmen of Ursio were an official Norsca regiment of renown/Dogs of War unit for a long time.

That's still the case as late as WHFRP2e; they're in the Chaos book, but they're a very different people and the Dark Gods are just part of their pantheon because they live close enough not to be able to escape them. Sometimes they end up going full Chaos, sure, but some of them trade with the south (before raiding it in lean times) or even fight against the Chaos hordes. They're Chaos adjacent, rather than being slaves of the Gods.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Night10194 posted:

That's still the case as late as WHFRP2e; they're in the Chaos book, but they're a very different people and the Dark Gods are just part of their pantheon because they live close enough not to be able to escape them. Sometimes they end up going full Chaos, sure, but some of them trade with the south (before raiding it in lean times) or even fight against the Chaos hordes. They're Chaos adjacent, rather than being slaves of the Gods.

And if I remember right, they're also not an uncommon sight throughout Imperial lands - sometimes as mercenaries, but sometimes just as traders and adventurers.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Onmi posted:

It'll be the Skaven as the ultimate troll by CA, which is why all the details haven't been Ratified. Rather than being the 4th Race in game 2, they'll be the final race of Game 1 and let Tomb Kings take their place in Game 2.

That would be the greatest swerve CA has ever pulled, so gently caress yeah for that theory. Still would be happy with Estalia, however.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Cythereal posted:

And if I remember right, they're also not an uncommon sight throughout Imperial lands - sometimes as mercenaries, but sometimes just as traders and adventurers.

Especially in Marienburg, where having an authentic Norse warrior as a bodyguard is a big fad.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Night10194 posted:

Especially in Marienburg, where having an authentic Norse warrior as a bodyguard is a big fad.

I do remember the book also specifically pointing out that so many of these ridiculously buff, handsome young warrior men become the bodyguards of young noblewomen. Just a coincidence. Probably. :pervert:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
It's a shame that Norsca is underdeveloped in lore because despite their ultimate subservience to demon gods, they somehow have a functioning society that can engage with the southerners outside of brutal, unrelenting violence and death.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

The old Norse were better than the new slaves to chaos norse

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

The old Norse were better than the new slaves to chaos norse

True of every warhammer race.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Corrode posted:

That's the one. The only picture I could find with a cursory google:

The gobbo skeleton drummer :3:

These guys were cool.

Their leader was a mercenary who betrayed his master, who just happened to be a Necromancer, and was cursed to keep fighting after death. Anyone he kills with his magic sword comes back as a skeleton to serve in his unit. It works on all races, even if they are normally unaffected by Necromancy. The standard bearer is an Elf, the Dwarf model had a large bullethole in its chest and there is even a Saurus skeleton fighting with them, though it is hard to see in the picture.

When they were released there was a battle report with the Cursed Company joining an Empire army and the Warrior Priest went "see guys, we are so righteous even the dead came back to fight with us" which made me laugh.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Onmi posted:

...holy poo poo

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Onmi posted:

You know, thinking about it, it really might be that this is what they are doing.

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
It would certainly make that rat sting at the end of the TW:WH2 trailer hilarious in hindsight.

Is there any reason though it couldn't be Skaven for both this new race, and have them be the fourth race in the sequel?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Rather unique gameplay mechanics does seem to exclude most of the human nations on the map. Unless it's something like a Dogs of War rampaging band of mercenaries kind of deal, I don't really see how it could be anyone other than Skaven who would probably need to have their own way of moving quickly about the map, something to represent their under-empire, mechanics to convey their clans and fractitious nature and the council of thirteen, and they seem a pretty good candidate for a new kind of corruption or just a way to spread disease in general. Maybe also some mechanic connected to warpstone reminiscent of the Wood Elves and amber?

I mean who else on the Old World map would call for rather unique gameplay mechanics? I guess maybe you could do something with Norscans, but it does begin to sound like Skaven.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Ogres. They are not exactly a horde but not exactly a settled civilization. Would be some sort of weird in between.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Nash posted:

Ogres. They are not exactly a horde but not exactly a settled civilization. Would be some sort of weird in between.

Maybe. But aren't they like from way out east?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Onmi posted:

The Skaven runes are directly there on the TW:W2 logo. I highly doubt that they're going to put them in the other game, then make a cold pun for literally no reason. I'm waiting for rats as much as you all but come on.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Pellisworth posted:

so the wood elves are arrogant fratboy douchebags and the tree spirits are wooden Nazis?

1. pretty much, but the kind that are real into camping trips
2. technically no, functionally yes. most forest spirits are content to sit around managing tree growth, viewing all animal life as slight variations on squirrels, but understandably team We Don't Give A poo poo isn't big on marching off to war. by far the most common way to get them off their asses and onto team Do Murders is what happens when the two-legged squirrels come charging through and burn most of their poo poo to the ground. This tends to result in some hostility.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The Skaven have been involved in TW:W1 since the beginning, in the form of random dilemma events and blocking anyone trying to cross Skavenblight. Making them our old friend(s)?

I'd rather get Estalia/Tilea fleshed out a lot more. I don't want to see a bunch of Estalian swordsmen shouting "Sigmar preserve us!" while fighting in Warhammexico.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

jokes posted:

I'd rather get Estalia/Tilea fleshed out a lot more. I don't want to see a bunch of Estalian swordsmen shouting "Sigmar preserve us!" while fighting in Warhammexico.

hunt down the VA for spain in med 2 and get him to reprise his role :getin:

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Onmi posted:

Releasing a fan-coveted faction for G1 right before G2 gets released would be an ultra-bonehead business decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ammanas posted:

Releasing a fan-coveted faction for G1 right before G2 gets released would be an ultra-bonehead business decision.

Not if they double dip with it. Make it DLC for 1, with Skavenblight etc and still have it be one of the core factions for 2.

• Locked thread