Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Alter Ego posted:

Personally, I don't expect anything explosive. It's Trump's reaction I'm looking forward to--his angry tweets will do more to incriminate him than anything Comey says today.

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/872785709127618560

His legal team will be gatekeeping

e: maybe goalkeeping is a better term. against own goals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/872795830012567552
https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/872797350238068736
https://twitter.com/DavidCornDC/status/872795707299831808
https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/872801996423782402
https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/872784425263783937
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/872781114020159489

Also more Clarke news (jfc how was this guy not indicted at some point)

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/872794810599473152

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
today's soundtrack:

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/gslu5d/chappelle-s-show-r--kelly-s--piss-on-you--video

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

ReidRansom posted:

Dammit. If they're going to muzzle him this will be a lot less amusing.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Alter Ego posted:

I'm not sure if you've been paying attention since November, but the left has more sway over the Democratic Party than they've ever had. Would be kinda hard for the "centrists" to shut them out now.
Obama saw to it they were locked out of DNC leadership after pissing on the compromise candidate with the left, and we've seen the results of that already: the only special election candidate that's gotten anything like full-throated support from Democratic leadership is a total DNC insider. I don't really care about overtures made to the left by establishment Democrats (who do remain firmly in control of the party), I care about action. And so far they haven't done poo poo. Leftist orgs loosely affiliated with the Democrats are having an easier time at recruitment and fundraising, and are to get more done now that at any time before in my life, but they are limited in how much they can accomplish when they have the entire DNC establishment fighting them as hard as they're fighting the GOP. Harder, perhaps. Now is not the time to try working together with them (we already tried that anyway, and got swatted away) - if the left truly is better positioned now than they have been in generations then now is the time to go for the throat and make sure neoliberals in the Democratic party aren't anywhere near power ever again. You sure as hell don't do that by loving voting for them.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Party Plane Jones posted:

Also more Clarke news (jfc how was this guy not indicted at some point)

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/872794810599473152
So THIS is why he wears that goatee:

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Alter Ego posted:

the left has more sway over the Democratic Party than they've ever had.

As evidenced by the way the whole Ellison / Perez thing played out.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Alter Ego posted:

Remember: They were supposed to be vetting his tweets since the big trip.

The tweets where he undermined his legal case about the travel ban.

Don't count out that the lawyers might not be able to control him.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Kilroy posted:

Obama saw to it they were locked out of DNC leadership after pissing on the compromise candidate with the left, and we've seen the results of that already: the only special election candidate that's gotten anything like full-throated support from Democratic leadership is a total DNC insider. I don't really care about overtures made to the left by establishment Democrats (who do remain firmly in control of the party), I care about action. And so far they haven't done poo poo. Leftist orgs loosely affiliated with the Democrats are having an easier time at recruitment and fundraising, and are to get more done now that at any time before in my life, but they are limited in how much they can accomplish when they have the entire DNC establishment fighting them as hard as they're fighting the GOP. Harder, perhaps. Now is not the time to try working together with them (we already tried that anyway, and got swatted away) - if the left truly is better positioned now than they have been in generations then now is the time to go for the throat and make sure neoliberals in the Democratic party aren't anywhere near power ever again. You sure as hell don't do that by loving voting for them.

Rob Quist was a DNC insider? Jon Ossoff is a DNC insider?

Maybe Ellison didn't manage to get the DNC chairmanship, but the pressure and the outcry was big enough that they had to create a position just for him. The situation didn't and won't change overnight, but if the left doesn't bother to keep up the pressure, they cannot be surprised when the establishment stops listening.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jun 8, 2017

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Josh Lyman posted:

So THIS is why he wears that goatee:

This is almost as weird as seeing photos of Hitler with the mustache cropped out.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Night10194 posted:

Can they convince the Secret Service to physically wrestle his phone away?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Alter Ego posted:

that's assuming he actually can restrain himself and just watch it there. he had a big TV put in the study off the oval office, and if he's in there alone and gets all pissy (he always is) then I suspect maybe a few unfiltered tweets slip out. at least one. maybe not more. I imagine his legal team will be closely watching his twitter.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Your Taint posted:

Can they convince the Secret Service to physically wrestle his phone away?

Pretty sure they can only get the Secret Service involved if the President poses a physical threat to himself, and as damaging as his Tweets have been, they don't pose a physical threat.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

skylined! posted:

i can't imagine james comey, an hour and twenty minutes prior to testifying before congress with information that may lead to the impeachment of a president, is still at home eating a bowl of cream of wheat and reading the loving paper

if he comes out of this house with his tie draped around his neck and his shoes untied, rushing into his sedan and speeding off 15 minutes before the hearing is supposed to start, someone in this creeper van better loving start playing the loving saved by the bell theme song

this is the best post I've ever seen you make and i love you

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Someone mentioned waaaay back in the thread that the assumption was his (now-ex) Communications Director handle babysitting his twitter account. Every since he officially left Trump's tweet has returned in force.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Has anyone ever positively identified any Trump sockpuppets on Twitter etc? Given his history with that sort of thing, you'd think he might have one.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Retro42 posted:

Someone mentioned waaaay back in the thread that the assumption was his (now-ex) Communications Director handle babysitting his twitter account. Every since he officially left Trump's tweet has returned in force.

Really? I was under the impression Trump was angrily mashing out Tweets well before Dubke quit.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Alter Ego posted:

Maybe Ellison didn't manage to get the DNC chairmanship, but the pressure and the outcry was big enough that they had to create a position just for him. The situation didn't and won't change overnight, but if the left doesn't bother to keep up the pressure, they cannot be surprised when the establishment stops listening.

Tom Perez is also not a centrist under any definition of the term that doesn't also include Ellison.

:shrug:

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Alter Ego posted:

Really? I was under the impression Trump was angrily mashing out Tweets well before Dubke quit.

I believe there was a lull in the ranting during and immediately after Trump's grand 'making deals with dictators and pissing off allies' tour

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

ReidRansom posted:

Dear god, he's getting too excited. Break out the emergency rum infused ice cream! Two scoops! It may be too late.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Slashrat posted:

I believe there was a lull in the ranting during and immediately after Trump's grand 'making deals with dictators and pissing off allies' tour

It was during; he was too busy to tweet and too tired. He went batshit crazy on there the second he got home.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

skylined! posted:

rehashing the nature of purity tests in this thread is as dumb as purity tests
By the way, screeching "purity tests! :argh:" whenever someone states that poo poo is hosed, is not convincing at all. Attempting to delegitimize or make light of that disagreement will not win you any arguments.

Alter Ego posted:

Ossoff himself is not a DNC insider because he's too young. He's in tight with them however, and should he win GA-06 he'll be closer to the New Democrat, neoliberal coalition in Congress than the progressives. So it's no surprise he's the one they're pushing the hardest (or, pushing at all).

Rob Quist was a good guy, but he was a good example of the kind of unserious quirky bullshit candidate that Democrats often field in tough districts. It would have been better if he'd won, but he's still an example of Democrats not taking winning seriously. They don't take winning those districts seriously because the kind of serious candidates they'd have to run in order to win those districts reliably, would undermine their power nationally if enough were elected to office.

See also KS-04: the Democratic candidate lost by a surprisingly thin margin despite no support from his party at all. DNC officials even said it's better if they don't get involved because their brand is so toxic there, apparently without quite realizing what that meant (i.e. they need to loving go). And now that he's lost they're using it as an example of how those damned Berniecrats can't win elections, so might as well get on board with the same old poo poo.

Alter Ego posted:

What do you think "keep up the pressure" means? Vote for Democrats no matter what?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

ReidRansom posted:

Would be interested to know if his "legal team" is White House Counsel, his private lawyers, or both.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

skylined! posted:

the democratic party has moved further and further left over the last 8 years

rehashing the nature of purity tests in this thread is as dumb as purity tests

And yet they ran Hillary Clinton in 2016

Almost like they aren't actually that far left

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

My guess is he's got bombs to drop on sessions.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Please go back to screaming at the same three posters in the Idiot Leftists thread while pretending that counts as activism, you vacuous fuckup.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

evilweasel posted:

I am extremely okay with this if this is the case.

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Kilroy posted:

By the way, screeching "purity tests! :argh:" whenever someone states that poo poo is hosed, is not convincing at all. Attempting to delegitimize or make light of that disagreement will not win you any arguments.

Ossoff himself is not a DNC insider because he's too young. He's in tight with them however, and should he win GA-06 he'll be closer to the New Democrat, neoliberal coalition in Congress than the progressives. So it's no surprise he's the one they're pushing the hardest (or, pushing at all).

Rob Quist was a good guy, but he was a good example of the kind of unserious quirky bullshit candidate that Democrats often field in tough districts. It would have been better if he'd won, but he's still an example of Democrats not taking winning seriously. They don't take winning those districts seriously because the kind of serious candidates they'd have to run in order to win those districts reliably, would undermine their power nationally if enough were elected to office.

See also KS-04: the Democratic candidate lost by a surprisingly thin margin despite no support from his party at all. DNC officials even said it's better if they don't get involved because their brand is so toxic there, apparently without quite realizing what that meant (i.e. they need to loving go). And now that he's lost they're using it as an example of how those damned Berniecrats can't win elections, so might as well get on board with the same old poo poo.

What do you think "keep up the pressure" means? Vote for Democrats no matter what?

I'm curious as to why you think it's a problem that Jon Ossoff isn't a firebrand Elizabeth Warren or Bernie Sanders-style liberal. He's running in a district that's been controlled by Republicans for the last eleventy kabillion years, yet he's a supporter of universal health care and a $15 minimum wage. That's about as good as you're going to get there.

As far as Quist, was there another better option? The guy was a down-to-earth retail politician, which is exactly the kind of person who can actually win in Montana. Had Gianforte's little reporter incident happened a couple weeks earlier, he might have actually won. Why do you think there's a "one-size-fits-all" mold that you can use to generate Democratic candidates in all 438 districts?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Oxxidation posted:

Please go back to screaming at the same three posters in the Idiot Leftists thread while pretending that counts as activism, you vacuous fuckup.

Is this a real thread and how many people in it are woke as gently caress

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Seriously though if Comey shits all over Sessions as well as doing his best to imply strongly that Trump obstructed justice like his printed statement suggests I will consider today a huge success.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Isn't any candidate a party supports pretty much by definition an insider? How could a party heavily support an outsider? Like they campaign for them and give them money then go on tv and say "it's not like I like you, BAKA" a lot?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

evilweasel posted:

Was the rumor that Sessions offered his resignation and Trump refused it actually backed up anywhere?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Drone posted:

Was the rumor that Sessions offered his resignation and Trump refused it actually backed up anywhere?

There is indirect confirmation, Session's spokesman did a "No comment" instead of a denial when questioned about it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Is this a real thread and how many people in it are woke as gently caress

It's not literally an Idiot Leftists thread, it's Condiv's "democrats are a waste" thread, which is populated mainly by idiot leftists and three or four equally insane people who pick fights with them in perpetuity.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Isn't any candidate a party supports pretty much by definition an insider? How could a party heavily support an outsider? Like they campaign for them and give them money then go on tv and say "it's not like I like you, BAKA" a lot?

In the 10 years I've posted on SA your posts haven't gotten better at all. It's fuckin bizarre.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Drone posted:

Numerous news orgs confirmed it from anonymous sources and somehow not a single spokesman or spokeswoman has managed to ask the President if he still has confidence in Sessions in several days.

I think there will be stuff on Sessions because the Trump stuff is pretty well sketched out but there's hints Sessions was a problem but no specific reason to put that stuff in his testimony. Also because I just really hope there is.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Kilroy posted:

threatening to withhold your vote when your choice is 'not left enough' and 'the party of killing the poor and disenfranchising people of color' isn't very convincing either.

it's perfectly wonderful to push the party further to the left but ultimately not voting for them because you failed to sway their decision making is stupid, given the current political climate and the consequences therein.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

skylined! posted:

i can't imagine james comey, an hour and twenty minutes prior to testifying before congress with information that may lead to the impeachment of a president, is still at home eating a bowl of cream of wheat and reading the loving paper

if he comes out of this house with his tie draped around his neck and his shoes untied, rushing into his sedan and speeding off 15 minutes before the hearing is supposed to start, someone in this creeper van better loving start playing the loving saved by the bell theme song

James Comey is late for his subcommittee hearing! he runs down the street with a slice of toast in his mouth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Oh God CSPAN has callers, this is the worst

• Locked thread