Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What about if you're one of those weaboos that loves Japanese food, culture, and the people too much. That's even worse IMO. Same with Anglophiles and Francophiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I guess if that's what it means then i can agree that's bad. It just seemed like what we used to call multiculturalism and it was something we we're striving for more of.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
And the worst part is that the above falls under "being a racist/rear end in a top hat" but because it's rooted in Institutional Racism it gets a special term for it. Sadly, because dumb people get really hung up on the specific words they start to mistake a lot of cross cultural interaction as actual appropriation.

It was here on SA a while ago, someone much smarter than me pointed out something like "In this (definitional cultural appropriation misconceptions) regard, the far right and far left are in agreement, albeit for different reasons. The absolute refusal of cultural interaction becomes something much worse, Race Essentialism."

quote:

What about if you're one of those weaboos that loves Japanese food, culture, and the people too much. That's even worse IMO. Same with Anglophiles and Francophiles.
These don't have a special term yet. We'll have to stick with nerds.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Well if the only info you get on the subject is from White Dad Radio (so-to-speak) you'd think so. "Political Correctness is killing the nation" and "People are too culturally sensitive" and "Cultural Appropriation is overblown" has been a meme since I was a child nearly 30 years ago and it was old then. The majority of the time that sentiment comes from a guy--almost always white--who is wondering why he can't do or say whatever he wants without blowback. In other words the type of person who can talk poo poo but can't handle getting hit.

That isn't to say there isn't a point buried in there--people are lovely regardless of culture and there are more than a few assholes who abuse minority privilege to further their own lust for power, and there's nothing inherently wrong with cultural exchange--but those points get completely lost in the sea of "Why isn't there a White Pride Month?" assholes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdyin6uipy4

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Like everything these days the sensible poo poo gets washed out by morons crying about white people making burritos.

Bad Llama
Jan 2, 2007
pwnerer
The movie Get Out was not that good, and I have no idea why people are blowing their load over it so much???

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah, I'm so sick of all these françoboo americans and their crazy love of french stuff. that is a very significant cultural movement!

-signed a french-american who's pretty baffled cuz lol

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah, I'm so sick of all these françoboo americans and their crazy love of french stuff. that is a very significant cultural movement!

-signed a french-american who's pretty baffled cuz lol

It's still ouiaboo

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

starkebn posted:

I guess if that's what it means then i can agree that's bad. It just seemed like what we used to call multiculturalism and it was something we we're striving for more of.
Multiculturalism is about understanding other cultures. Cultural appropriation is about taking bits and pieces of other cultures and making them palatable to the dominant culture while still oppressing and excluding the people created it.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

It's still ouiaboo

:golfclap:

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Cultural appropriation on its own (taking aspects of a certain culture and using it in another) is good. Cultural appropriation along with capitalism (taking aspects from an oppressed culture and introducing it to the dominate culture to make money) is bad.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

So Taco Bell?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Mu Zeta posted:

So Taco Bell?

Their lack of ethics won them the franchise war.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

No I mean I didn't come up with it, it was settled in this subforum like a day ago

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

No I mean I didn't come up with it, it was settled in this subforum like a day ago

poo poo, how could I not know :eng99:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Bad Llama posted:

The movie Get Out was not that good, and I have no idea why people are blowing their load over it so much???

My answer is probably an unpopular opinion, but it's probably at least partially because people feel like disliking it would make them look racist so they overcompensate in the other direction. I thought it was interesting but pretty hamfisted and the end just got silly. It definitely doesn't deserve 99% positive reviews on rottentomatoes in any case.

e: really I think it's more like a Babadook situation - there was/is a crazy amount of hype for it so people start seeing things that aren't there (or are done poorly) to better fit their high expectations.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 07:56 on Jun 8, 2017

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Saagonsa posted:

Cultural appropriation on its own (taking aspects of a certain culture and using it in another) is good. Cultural appropriation along with capitalism (taking aspects from an oppressed culture and introducing it to the dominate culture to make money) is bad.

Cultural appropriation more specifically refers to taking cultural practices, beliefs, etc. outside of context, or without the involvement, consent, of its origins. Typically it will come in the form of particular expressions of another culture being altered primarily to serve the interests of another. The extent to which something may be deemed cultural appropriation is largely contextual, but a lot of cases are a lot more shut-and-closed than others. Football team namings are a pretty good example of this (as far as things I can pull from the top of my head). Affiliating particular peoples or tribes (i.e. American Indians/Native Americans) with something that is totally without similar context (Football) for no other purpose than "it sounds/looks cool." This is problematic mostly because it represents a living people, and is formed without their involvement or cooperation, and presents them as something they're not.

I believe the term 'acculturation' is more or less what people are trying to touch on. Incorporation of cultural aspects within a context of a co-existing and changing relationship between peoples to become something of a mix of the two. Tex-Mex food for a really blatant example. The Canadian-American political and social relationship for something a bit broader (mostly thinking about the extent to which America shapes the attitudes and lifestyles of those above the 49th).

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

yeah I eat rear end posted:

My answer is probably an unpopular opinion, but it's probably at least partially because people feel like disliking it would make them look racist so they overcompensate in the other direction. I thought it was interesting but pretty hamfisted and the end just got silly. It definitely doesn't deserve 99% positive reviews on rottentomatoes in any case.

Everyone please stop using the Rotten Tomatoes score as a measure of objective quality like it's a score out of 100.

That just means 99% percent of critics surveyed found the film to be "good" enough, not that they all thought it was a 9.9 out of 10 movie.

Brainworm
Mar 23, 2007

...one of these--
As he hath spices of them all, not all,
For I dare so far free him--made him fear'd...
Nap Ghost
More unpopular opinions:

* "Cultural appropriation" is a thing, but it's not the problem. If I'm making burritos and oppressing Mexicans, the problem's that I'm treating people badly. The burritos have jack to do with it, unless I'm also calling them "authentic" or "traditional" when they're neither of those things.

* Labels are useful but they mostly just change the terms that people use to rationalize their lovely behavior. Being "non-PC" is just another incarnation of "telling it like it is" or "calling a spade a spade," which is just a way of saying you're racism's OK because you're, like, really sure black people are actually lazy.

* The past is dead. People who talk about the past -- whether they romanticize it or point to systematic injustice -- are just using it to negotiate the present. More often than not, they're using the past as a negotiating proxy because whatever they're actually advocating would sound either delusional or entitled if it were stated explicitly.

* It's OK not to like people, things, or groups. Adults confine that dislike to areas where those people, things, or groups work contrary to their direct interests, and don't frame their disagreements as matters of philosophy or worldview. i.e. "I don't like that Joe's pushing higher property taxes, because it cuts into my income" is fine. "I don't like Joe because he's a liberal" is brokebrained and childish.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

WampaLord posted:

Everyone please stop using the Rotten Tomatoes score as a measure of objective quality like it's a score out of 100.

That just means 99% percent of critics surveyed found the film to be "good" enough, not that they all thought it was a 9.9 out of 10 movie.

I am aware of that and didn't say "it didn't deserve a 9.9/10 score", I said "it doesn't deserve 99% positive reviews".

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I am aware of that and didn't say "it didn't deserve a 9.9/10 score", I said "it doesn't deserve 99% positive reviews".

Well based on the fact that Ghostbusters 2016 didn't get a 99% score, I don't think critics are reviewing it well just to seem not racist. I think they just liked the movie that was unique and well made.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

1) The Babadook was a loving fantastic little film.

2) I'm gay.

3) Seriously, The Babadook has a couple mistakes but drat is it a great horror film.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

If cultural appropriation is just being a dick while doing something everyone else does, why even use the word when it makes normal people who eat tacos feel uncomfortable?

I feel like "being a racist dick" would cover it. I kinda get a self congratulatory vibe for ~recognizing~ it. That, or people just like making folks uncomfortable while being able to say they technically weren't trying to, sort of a "I'm not touching you" type of situation.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I think America has a long way to go with regards to racial politics, but also am pretty tired of hearing "white people" used as some monolithic oppressive entity. Some article describing how "White people in our neighborhood are LIKE THIS" is far less damaging than a similar article about black people, but it's still bad.

Talking like that is especially bad if you're trying to get poo poo done, because it turns off the white poor, aka natural allies of the black poor.

To tie in to a running theme of the PHUO thread, the south's endemic problems are not the fault of "white people". Most white southerners, much like black southerners, are poor and underprivileged. The problem is with a few rich assholes.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The problem is with a few rich assholes.

Who are almost always white.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

the white poor, aka natural allies of the black poor.

loving lmao, not in America.

Brainworm
Mar 23, 2007

...one of these--
Nap Ghost

e: really I think it's more like a Babadook situation - there was/is a crazy amount of hype for it so people start seeing things that aren't there (or are done poorly) to better fit their high expectations.

Another unpopular opinion: There's a horror movie double standard.

People will call a horror movie a masterpiece when it's really just a perceptive moment or two of competent filmmaking mixed with a tolerable amount of broken nonsense. The only lower bar for excellence is in, like, musical theater.

That's doubly weird in a genre populated by early and mid-career work by the most accomplished directors of the 20th century. Like, what does Babadook do better than other "lost my kid" movies like The Shining, The Man Who Knew Too Much or even Poltergeist or Close Encounters?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

1) The Babadook was a loving fantastic little film.

2) I'm gay.

3) Seriously, The Babadook has a couple mistakes but drat is it a great horror film.

The only thing scary in that movie was the acting, and no child actor has ever been more annoying than the screaming kid.

It was alright and I've definitely seen worse, but people get up their own rear end about "deeper meanings" in movies like that/get out - like yeah those things are there, but they are not "deep" or subtle points they are making, they practically beat you over the head with it the whole time.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Brainworm posted:

* Labels are useful but they mostly just change the terms that people use to rationalize their lovely behavior. Being "non-PC" is just another incarnation of "telling it like it is" or "calling a spade a spade," which is just a way of saying you're racism's OK because you're, like, really sure black people are actually lazy.

People change labels and re-invent new terms all of the time for old ideas. It isn't necessarily a bad thing. There are probably many cases where it is done that you probably agree with because you are sympathetic to the ideological goal of the re-labeling.

For example, my older parents still sometimes use the term 'oriental' when they mean 'Asian'. They mean no ill will when they say it, and it was never really a slur, but now, in the 21st century, the term 'oriental' bothers some people, and so now it has fallen out of fashion in favor of 'Asian'. Maybe in 30-50 years, 'Asian' will be seen as offensive and a new term will be preferred. This type of language game is never ending. It isn't really a bad thing, but I can see how some people think that it could be a little annoying.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Bring back Celestial instead of Asian

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Bad Llama posted:

The main character had to pick cotton (out of the chair) to save his life. I thought that was pretty funny.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I'll meet you half way with Asiatic, Oriental, or Chinaman.

No, never mind.

I will meet you there at Celestial.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

WampaLord posted:

That actually sounds like a better and more objective measure of how good a movie is than just averaging the scores though.

Brainworm posted:

* "Cultural appropriation" is a thing, but it's not the problem. If I'm making burritos and oppressing Mexicans, the problem's that I'm treating people badly. The burritos have jack to do with it, unless I'm also calling them "authentic" or "traditional" when they're neither of those things.
What about white people taking a style of music invented and performed by black people and having a white guy perform it for white people and becoming incredibly rich without ever crediting or sharing the profits with the original creators? Or what about claiming to be Aboriginal when you're not and selling your novel as being based on your authentic experience as an Aboriginal?

Brainworm posted:

* The past is dead. People who talk about the past -- whether they romanticize it or point to systematic injustice -- are just using it to negotiate the present. More often than not, they're using the past as a negotiating proxy because whatever they're actually advocating would sound either delusional or entitled if it were stated explicitly.
But what's happened in the past has unavoidable consequences in the present. You can't accurately discuss how things are without some understanding of how things were.

hawowanlawow posted:

If cultural appropriation is just being a dick while doing something everyone else does
It isn't.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

WampaLord posted:

Poor, racist whites hold those opinions because rich people tell them to. Congrats on reposting the comic that was on my facebook ten years ago?

Brainworm
Mar 23, 2007

...one of these--
Nap Ghost

silence_kit posted:

People change labels and re-invent new terms all of the time for old ideas. It isn't necessarily a bad thing. There are probably many cases where it is done that you probably agree with because you are sympathetic to the ideological goal of the re-labeling.

For example, my older parents still sometimes use the term 'oriental' when they mean 'Asian'. They mean no ill will when they say it, and it was never really a slur, but now, in the 21st century, the term 'oriental' bothers some people, and so now it has fallen out of fashion in favor of 'Asian'. Maybe in 30-50 years, 'Asian' will be seen as offensive and a new term will be preferred. This type of language game is never ending. It isn't really a bad thing, but I can see how some people think that it could be a little annoying.

I'm with you there. Language changes, and most people are both fine with that and understand that not keeping abreast of one change or another is different from actual bigotry.

There are also differences between accidental and intentional incivility. Part of citizenship is civility to other human beings, regardless of how certain you are that they are wrong and terrible. That civility takes, like, a sliver of actual effort but conveys the all-important message that you would rather support the collective interests of a pluralistic society than, say, indulge some kind of tantrum.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

WampaLord posted:

A lot of the racist ideology of poor whites though was kind of introduced to them from the wealthy classes, who found it beneficial to pit black people and poor white people against each other. Obviously this doesn't absolve poor white people of being racist, but usually on this message board when we talk about disadvantaged groups we tend to not judge them as harshly and we tend to be a little more willing to (correctly, IMO) attribute negative attitudes and traits of the groups to them being victims of society.

Mu Zeta posted:

Lol, I didn't know this term existed. Apparently the tea company Celestial Seasonings is just a coincidence, having been named after one of the founders girlfriend's hippie name.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

WampaLord posted:

The white poor do not appear in this comic strip

Brainworm
Mar 23, 2007

...one of these--
Nap Ghost

Tiggum posted:

What about white people taking a style of music invented and performed by black people and having a white guy perform it for white people and becoming incredibly rich without ever crediting or sharing the profits with the original creators?

The enforcement of artist's rights was massively biased against non-white musicians, but attributing ownership of intangibles like "style" is sloppy thinking and ascribing that ownership it to ethnic groups is just poisonous.

Like, seriously, how do you police the ethnic ownership of abstract ideas in a way that isn't both massively discriminatory and socially destructive? Can Christians and Muslims still use the Jewish God, or do they have to come up with their own? Do they owe royalties?

quote:

Or what about claiming to be Aboriginal when you're not and selling your novel as being based on your authentic experience as an Aboriginal?

Again, dude, that's just fraud. Saying "cultural appropriation is a label, not a problem" isn't saying "fraud isn't wrong." It's saying that the problem is fraud, not some violation of a nebulous law by which legitimate control of an idea is invested in an ethnic group.

quote:

But what's happened in the past has unavoidable consequences in the present. You can't accurately discuss how things are without some understanding of how things were.

Sure you can. People do it all the time, because they don't understand how things were. What they understand is how they string a set of unassailable historical facts together into a narrative that's consistent with their values.

Unsurprisingly, people who disagree about the nature and extent of modern-day problems also frequently disagree about those problems' causes and history. They also have radically different notions about, say, how wonderful it was to live in the US in 1960.

Brainworm
Mar 23, 2007

...one of these--
Nap Ghost

sassassin posted:

The white poor do not appear in this comic strip

They're the audience.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Brainworm posted:

They're the audience.

Truth.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

To tie in to a running theme of the PHUO thread, the south's endemic problems are not the fault of "white people". Most white southerners, much like black southerners, are poor and underprivileged. The problem is with a few rich assholes.

Correctomundo to a point.

PHUO: James Comey is a massive piece of poo poo. He cost Hillary the election and has I think, intentionally, put himself in the role of Savior of Truth. Its true he should definitely dish on all the dirt that Trump has, but I find him closer to Wormtongue than Captain America. He threw HIllary under the bus because he thought it was the "right thing to do", found out that the new boss is ACTUALLY all the bad things he feared from Hillary and is now doing his best to get out in front of it. This makes him a convenient hero for the left right now.

But make no mistake, most of this mess is his loving fault in the first place. He should testify, wreck Trump, then be immediately blackballed from public service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Elvis is cool, but Roy Orbison is cooler