Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
The thing about Uranium, and a lesson a lot of game devs need to learn, is that just because you worked very hard on something does not mean that what you worked on is actually good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

the Orb of Zot posted:

The head of Team Cipher, Greevil, actually planned to blow up his entire island HQ with you and everyone working with Cipher outside of his own two sons still on it after you beat him at the end of Pokemon XD, but one of said sons convinced him it would be better to just hand himself to the authorities instead of killing so many people for no good reason. That was the one time an explicit attempt to kill showed up in both Colosseum and XD.

I mention this in contrast to how CURIE has already attempted to kill someone on screen and laughed at their agony.

Yeah that's what I really meant. Greevil had like 5 lines and he was more focused on not getting arrested rather than killing you. It was "I'll blow up the island because I lost!" not "I will blow up this island so even in your victory you will suffer and die!" and it was resolved as soon as it was brought up with his son telling him to just give it up.
I didn't play the new games so I don't know if any villain was actually this sadistic. And I'm certain they weren't this pointlessly sadistic since Gamefreak knows writing.

Speaking of which,

Onmi posted:

And the worst thing is, the dev team is arrogant and thinks they did better than Gamefreak.

yeah okay

These chucklefucks can't even get the HP bars right in the UI, they're not even in the same breath as Gamefreak.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Another lesson they need is 'more is not always better'. If they'd cut out about half the fanmons and focused their efforts on making the remaining ones semi-decent, this would have been a better fangame. Same goes with the 5000 things they're trying to do with the meltdown plot - pick 2 or 3 things to focus on, and axe the rest.

Ex: Make meltdown #1 a mystery. Introduce Curie and Title Screen Mon during meltdown #2. Give them actual motivations other than :moreevil:. Axe the bullshit with Theo's dad getting hurt only not, the MC's father going missing(at least I think he did? I can't keep track of what's going on anymore), that weird sideplot area that was 100% optional, etc.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 8, 2017

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I would also let the player prevent Meltdown 2, given that it's a loving nuclear power plant and probably affects people's way of life in a big way.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Fangame chat is basically over but I'm not letting it pass without mentioning Mega Man: Super Fighting Robot. Just a quality game, hard yes, but with none of Unlimited's bullshit.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

SSNeoman posted:

Hey remember when pokemon villains threatened to kill people?

Well, not in an explicit "I'm going to murder you" screaming way, but a few scenes from recent generations come to mind.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Haifisch posted:

Another lesson they need is 'more is not always better'. If they'd cut out about half the fanmons and focused their efforts on making the remaining ones semi-decent, this would have been a better fangame. Same goes with the 5000 things they're trying to do with the meltdown plot - pick 2 or 3 things to focus on, and axe the rest.

Ex: Make meltdown #1 a mystery. Introduce Curie and Title Screen Mon during meltdown #2. Give them actual motivations other than :moreevil:. Axe the bullshit with Theo's dad getting hurt only not, the MC's father going missing(at least I think he did? I can't keep track of what's going on anymore), that weird sideplot area that was 100% optional, etc.

Honestly I feel like the pokemon designs are like the least bad thing about Uranium. Sure a lot are bad but most don't come close to the garbage and bad design that exists in the rest of the game.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Robindaybird posted:

I definitely 3rd the 7th Stand User as being a really fantastic RPG, and there's suppose to be another one based on Part 4 in the works.

I heard it's going to be called Persona 4?

tunapirate
Aug 15, 2015

Haifisch posted:

that weird sideplot area that was 100% optional, etc.

Gonna use this to remind everyone that Garlikid is a character in this game and that is proof enough that this is a bad game

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Man, that Poke-speak to Human translator plot never did went anywhere, did it?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Robindaybird posted:

Just to make it clear that nuclear pokemon hate you.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Robindaybird posted:

it let you recruits saitamagarlic boy

nothing else though

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

SSNeoman posted:

I didn't play the new games so I don't know if any villain was actually this sadistic.

If it counts, the gen six villain threatens to turn you immortal so you're forced to watch the world die, which is pretty hardcore as far as villain threats go.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

tunapirate posted:

Gonna use this to remind everyone that Garlikid is a character in this game and that is proof enough that this is a bad game

garlikid almost reaches 'endearingly weird' territory, which is more than you can say about most uranium 'mons

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

tunapirate posted:

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
The mom plot I want from a pokemon game is: Absolutely nothing out of the ordinary about mom -> mom was actually a bit of a trainer in her youth and sends you hms and such a bit early -> mom is in fact a badass trainer who helps stop the Team Rocket analogue -> MOM WAS THE CHAMPION ALL ALONG :gonk:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
that garlikid butt

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

vorebane posted:

The mom plot I want from a pokemon game is: Absolutely nothing out of the ordinary about mom -> mom was actually a bit of a trainer in her youth and sends you hms and such a bit early -> mom is in fact a badass trainer who helps stop the Team Rocket analogue -> MOM WAS THE CHAMPION ALL ALONG :gonk:

Yeah, they've had your mom be extremely famous before (Contest master, Rhyhorn racing champion) and you could compete against her in a contest but it would be rad as hell if they made one the champion.

The one time you had a dad you got to beat him up in a gym battle!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Zore posted:

The one time you had a dad he got to beat you up in a gym battle!

Norman terrifies me to this day.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

please animate the butt like stupid sexy flanders

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Materant posted:

Not defending Uranium but scrapping incomplete content at deadline is a pretty common practice and I can name off the top of my head at least five triple-A studios that do this.
It would probably be easier to name games that don't have any cut content. Most of the time, the developers don't even bother to take it out of the code for the game. There's a website devoted to cataloguing and documenting this content. I wasn't able to find a page for the original arcade Pong, and the page for DOS Tetris merely documented an undocumented save key and regional/revisional differences. Other than that, you'll find pretty much any game you care to look for there.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

vorebane posted:

This would be so fuckin good.

Honestly, what I'd like to see is a game with more of SuMo's alolan variants- I loving loved that that was a thing. Gimme more of that, please

(also more fashion choices)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Sociopastry posted:

This would be so fuckin good.

Honestly, what I'd like to see is a game with more of SuMo's alolan variants- I loving loved that that was a thing. Gimme more of that, please

(also more fashion choices)

Some of them were 100% questionable in design like the Geodude line, but regional variants are a cool concept in general.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Xelkelvos posted:

Some of them were 100% questionable in design like the Geodude line, but regional variants are a cool concept in general.

Golem had a loving cannon added. How the hell is that "questionable"?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Alolan Ninetales was a loving beast in my Sun playthrough.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
You can talk about those lame Alolan forms in the general thread. This game has much cooler alternate forms in unreliable glass cannon edgy recolors. :smug:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

iospace posted:

Golem had a loving cannon added. How the hell is that "questionable"?

It looked ugly as sin (also, it's a railgun, I think) with its mustache and beard. I Also didn't like how Alolan Muk looked, but given the premise for the design and limitations in animation, I can sorta give it a pass.

Alolan Sandslash was a cool concept and design. It just had an unfortunate typing among other things.

vEdit: Yeah. The Black+color aethestic is full edgy teen stuff, but by people in their 20s and up, it goes into cringey and sad territory. If it kept going into self aware territory, it might be merely cringey but amusing. But alas, some people just don't grow up.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 8, 2017

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

God I love/hate the recolors in Uranium. On one hand, I remember being an edgy teen and thinking that black+ color was the COOLEST DESIGN CHOICE EVER

and then I remember that Uranium is done by people my age and then I get sad.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

You can talk about those lame Alolan forms in the general thread. This game has much cooler alternate forms in unreliable glass cannon edgy recolors. :smug:

OFS the people demand Nuke-Nuke. Clearly the pinnacle of alternate form glass pistol recolors.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

unreliable glass cannon edgy recolors. :smug:

This applies to Pokemon as disparate as Corsola and Barand. Nuclear has such polarizing weaknesses and strengths that everything with it has to run a certain way. Nucleon is the best at it through atomiziate and there's no real variety in the things below it, they just have worse stats and moves for the one job nuclear pokemon can do.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Xelkelvos posted:

It looked ugly as sin (also, it's a railgun, I think) with its mustache and beard. I Also didn't like how Alolan Muk looked, but given the premise for the design and limitations in animation, I can sorta give it a pass.

Alolan Sandslash was a cool concept and design. It just had an unfortunate typing among other things.

vEdit: Yeah. The Black+color aethestic is full edgy teen stuff, but by people in their 20s and up, it goes into cringey and sad territory. If it kept going into self aware territory, it might be merely cringey but amusing. But alas, some people just don't grow up.

http://www.bogleech.com/pokemon/p088agrimer.html

You have horrible opinions about my bestboy Muk

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I will fight you IRL if you slander Alolan Muk

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

It looked ugly as sin (also, it's a railgun, I think) with its mustache and beard.
Rock Dad is best dad and you're dumb for thinking otherwise.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Golden Goat posted:

Rock Dad is best dad and you're dumb for thinking otherwise.

Alolan Golem's "beard" is made of magnetized iron filings.

In other words, Alolan Golem is Wooly Willy. How can anyone think that doesn't own?

Seaogre
Oct 10, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Zore posted:

Yeah, they've had your mom be extremely famous before (Contest master, Rhyhorn racing champion) and you could compete against her in a contest but it would be rad as hell if they made one the champion.

Can you actually compete in Rhyhorn racing? Because I only found one segment where you ride a very slow Rhyhorn in X, no actual racing. It felt very disappointing since your mom being a super famous racer was brought up multiple times in the main game, including being the entire reason Sycamore even bothers with you.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, X and Y were not great.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Seaogre posted:

Can you actually compete in Rhyhorn racing? Because I only found one segment where you ride a very slow Rhyhorn in X, no actual racing. It felt very disappointing since your mom being a super famous racer was brought up multiple times in the main game, including being the entire reason Sycamore even bothers with you.

No, sorry, you can compete against your mom in Master-rank Super Contests in D/P/P and she's a judge of some contests there. I realize the sentence was a bit ambiguous.

X/Y just has people gushing about how cool your mom is and a few people creeping on her.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, X and Y were not great.

I liked the dress-up bits. But yeah, SuMo did a lot of the things X and Y tried to do, but better. Lookin' at you, riding section.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
I will never speak a single word against the game that gave me Super Training and Aegislash. Plus you can take a casual vacation photo in front of a doomsday device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Sociopastry posted:

On one hand, I remember being an edgy teen and thinking that black+ color was the COOLEST DESIGN CHOICE EVER

Black and gold tend to go well together, IMO. But yeah, usually it's just some dumb "so edgy I just cut myself looking at it" mindset and not an actual "hey, do these colors actually work together, in this pattern and order?"

• Locked thread