Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

purple death ray posted:

Claremont is good, unlike the posting in this thread all of a sudden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

zoux posted:

No, just constantly surprised by how awkward and forced he can do exposition. I just can't take that poo poo.

To be fair, it's not Claremont in specific so much as it's the '80s. It was a golden age for "as you know, Bob."

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Wanderer posted:

To be fair, it's not Claremont in specific so much as it's the '80s. It was a golden age for "as you know, Bob."

Yeah the exposition really wasn't a Claremont specific thing most comic writers did that, even Thomas.

Claremont was the purple prose dude, which some people dislike, which is fair.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I've honestly never been that impressed by Roy Thomas and if there's a big critical revival of Roy Thomas going on I'm unaware of it. I also don't really know his stuff at all. I like his Conan an awful lot and I dislike his Avengers pretty strongly. Ditto the little I've read of Infinity, Inc. and All-Star Squadron. So, like-- not being facetious at all, I swear-- what are the classic, can't-miss Roy Thomas runs? Of course, there's also the possibility that he's just not for me.

I'll also concede that I only really start loving Claremont's tenure on Uncanny X-Men at the point where most people check out. Mutant Massacre onwards, essentially-- adore the Outback stuff, wish he'd been able to play out the Muir Island business at the pace he wanted, love his work with Silvestri, etc. So I could also just be The Comics Deviant.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 30, 2017

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Nah the Outback stuff is great. X-Men is just genuinely great from Giant Size #1 up into the early 90s.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Wasn't most of the Claremontism in that Storm panel because of Jim Shooter's "every comic could be someone's first" rules?

Like, on some level we could do with more of that now, I think; of course, we have also advanced in other ways, such as accepting that gay people exist.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Archyduke posted:

I've honestly never been that impressed by Roy Thomas and if there's a big critical revival of Roy Thomas going on I'm unaware of it. I also don't really know his stuff at all. I like his Conan an awful lot and I dislike his Avengers pretty strongly. Ditto the little I've read of Infinity, Inc. and All-Star Squadron. So, like-- not being facetious at all, I swear-- what are the classic, can't-miss Roy Thomas runs? Of course, there's also the possibility that he's just not for me.

I'll also concede that I only really start loving Claremont's tenure on Uncanny X-Men at the point where most people check out. Mutant Massacre onwards, essentially-- adore the Outback stuff, wish he'd been able to play out the Muir Island business at the pace he wanted, love his work with Silvestri, etc. So I could also just be The Comics Deviant.

I dug his Dr. Strange, but it wasn't as good as the Lee Ditko stuff before it, whereas Claremont wrote the best X-Men ever (also some bad X-Men, but that happens when you're writing the same book in three different decades).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Roy Thomas and John Buscema's work on Conan defined the character for decades to come. Modern Conan stuff at Dark Horse is still taking more cues from Savage Sword than any other version of the character. That alone makes Roy Thomas a legend in my mind. Like yeah it was faithful to Robert E. Howard's original work, but the way Thomas adapted those works to make them palatable to modern readers, not to mention how he adapted other Howard works or even works from later writers into Conan stories, seamlessly blending them in, is nothing short of amazing.

He also created Iron Fist, which contrary to what Netflix might have you believe, is a rad character.

The guy's no Steve Gerber or Alan Moore, but he's pretty great.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Yes, the Dark Horse Conan stuff is good. I got the first like 9 volumes.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Does anyone have the set of panels where Conan is on a ship somewhere and a sea monster rises up to attack the boat, and Conan's reaction is to turn to the sky and shout "Crom! Why do you hate me?!" before turning to fight the monster?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wanderer posted:

TBH I like very few comics written prior to 2000.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

DKIII #9

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

The gently caress? When did Frank Miller's modern work become coherent?

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

That's Andy Kubert, isn't it?

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

So uh, what's up with that dude's head?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

some dudes just have big face

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Kramjacks posted:

Joseph Merrick was from Krypton?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

hup posted:

That's Andy Kubert, isn't it?

Yup, with Klaus Janson's inks, which is why it has that classic Miller chunky weight to it.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Synthbuttrange posted:

some dudes just have big face

More face means more teeth for spittin'.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

This is like those panels where somebody finds out Spider-Man is actually super-strong and just takes it easy on people because he's a nice guy. :neckbeard:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Oh yeah, more powerful than a locomotive.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ecavalli posted:

The gently caress? When did Frank Miller's modern work become coherent?
In addition to the artists mentioned above, Miller is "co-wrote" it with Brian Azzarello.

That said, Miller wrote and pencilled the backup stories for each issue and they're actually quite nicely drawn.

Kramjacks posted:

I want to say he got his face punched in in an earlier issue, but I can't remember specifically.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I'm just impressed Miller wrote something nice about Superman.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

prefect posted:

This is like those panels where somebody finds out Spider-Man is actually super-strong and just takes it easy on people because he's a nice guy. :neckbeard:

Spider guy cn lift something like 10 tons, but he has to pull his punches. Most of the people he fights are just regular people in suits. If he didn't, there would be people jelly everywhere.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Let's have a moment of silence for WickedHate and the inevitable "yeah but it would be cool if Spider-Man ripped people's skin off with his sticky hands" post we'd have to read if she hadn't got banned.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Someone post Spidey no selling the Punisher again (one of my all time favorites)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

purple death ray posted:

Let's have a moment of silence for WickedHate and the inevitable "yeah but it would be cool if Spider-Man ripped people's skin off with his sticky hands" post we'd have to read if she hadn't got banned.

To be fair Scarlet Spider was pretty cool.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
i do think that batman being surprised that superman, the man he's seen do all sorts of loving godlike, is also good at fighting people after a lifetime of it is quite funny, especially with x-ray vision that lets him see exactly where every point he needs to hit is

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

quite stretched out posted:

i do think that batman being surprised that superman, the man he's seen do all sorts of loving godlike, is also good at fighting people after a lifetime of it is quite funny, especially with x-ray vision that lets him see exactly where every point he needs to hit is

When a guy is stronger and tougher than just about everybody, and also has laser eyes, you might not expect him to have developed his fighting skills so much.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
what if he also spent a lot of super-speed time hanging around you, a guy who thinks he's perfected his fighting skills. like surely supes has had a bunch of fights alongside batman where he's watched what bats is doing if for no reason other than to kill time

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

hiddenriverninja posted:

Someone post Spidey no selling the Punisher again (one of my all time favorites)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

prefect posted:

When a guy is stronger and tougher than just about everybody, and also has laser eyes, you might not expect him to have developed his fighting skills so much.

What I love about those panels is he is fighting other Kryptonians. Like sure maybe those guys are trained soldiers and stuff.
But they have had super powers for like a day. They know how to punch harder and faster.

Superman has had a lifetime of fighting kryptonite cyborgs and power absorbing parasite men as training.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

I want to say he got his face punched in in an earlier issue, but I can't remember specifically.

Wasn't it acid/kryptonite rain?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

purple death ray posted:

Didn't that happen recently against Osborne, I want to say just before Ock took over?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

purple death ray posted:

:rip:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Cabbit posted:

Didn't that happen recently against Osborne, I want to say just before Ock took over?

That, also during one of the arcs where Kraven's family is hunting him and he gets tired of it (rips some woman's face off).

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I don't want Spider-man to kill people, I just want elseworlds/what-if/2099/mangaverse/whatever-the-gently caress characters with Spider-man's powers to do it.

biracial bear for uncut posted:

(rips some woman's face off).

:stonk: Not necessarily that way though.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 8, 2017

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
similar when spidey turns up the heat and shows his strength, a classic:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Goa Tse-tung posted:

similar when spidey turns up the heat and shows his strength, a classic:

I've done it before, but I'm going to do it again. Spider-Man in the original Secret Wars.

:allears: :neckbeard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Also that one time he beat Flamelord or whatever that one guy's name is, who is a herald of Galactus and hence a Big loving Deal