Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

exploded mummy posted:

They didn't let a tire roll down pit road.

They hosed up putting it on, causing the tire to fall off and almost whack the 78 in the middle of the loving track.

Does that make it better or worse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Hot Silly Season rumors I have heard

Erik Jones to the 20
Matt Kenseth to the 5
Aric Almirola and Smithfiled to JTG
Aric Almirola and Smithfiled to the 10
Aric Almirola and Smithfiled to the 5
Danica moves on
Roush is closing
RPM is closing
Bubba to the 43
Bowman to the 88
Carl to the 88
Carl to the 1
Newman to the 1
Bowyer to HMS
Moster leaving the 41
Mobil leaving SHR
Menard to Penske
Menard to HMS
Target is leaving NASCAR
Subway is leaving NASCAR
Ty Dillon to the 31

100% Guarantee at least 1 of these might be true.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

The target thing has been true for a while

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Probably Target leaving. They pulled out of Indy after so long, it's pretty likely they'll pull out of NASCAR too.

e:

kidcoelacanth posted:

The target thing has been true for a while

oh? It's confirmed now? Source?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

daslog posted:

Does that make it better or worse?

Worse.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

It's a black and white call, like Too Many Men in hockey, or offside at the line of scrimmage in football.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

But the spirit of the rule was to prevent crews from putting on 3 lugs and letting the car go. A 4 race suspension for something that was a mistake seems harsh.

They gently caress with the rules constantly. Why act like this is the only time it needs to be back and white?

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Norns posted:

But the spirit of the rule was to prevent crews from putting on 3 lugs and letting the car go. A 4 race suspension for something that was a mistake seems harsh.

They gently caress with the rules constantly. Why act like this is the only time it needs to be back and white?

The consequences for that mistake are no different than if such a thing happened deliberately. You have to punish the consequences similarly without regards to intent, otherwise you'll get weird inconsistencies in the rules for being subjective about what the intentions are or may have been.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Norns posted:

Yeah that seems way too hard, especially for the crew guys that might need the "game day" paycheck bump. The guys they suspended weren't even really the guys who were at fault. If you ask me the jackman was more at fault than the tire carrier for sure. Maybe the changer gets partial credit for not ensuring his gun was in the correct position. But the jackman didn't look back to see if everything was all good and dropped early, hurting tire carrier in the process. It looked like the fender came down right on his hand while it was still on the tire to me.

Also if this is such a big deal, why is it that every time a car comes to pit road unscheduled with a confirmed loose wheel that the offending changer is not suspended? The wheel could break and come off at any time and it is basically luck and driver intuition that keep that from happening so why aren't loose wheels that don't come off treated with, say, a 1 race suspension?

In the end for the team I guess it probably won't make an impact but for those individual crew guys that sucks and is too harsh if you ask me.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

bigbillystyle posted:

Yeah that seems way too hard, especially for the crew guys that might need the "game day" paycheck bump. The guys they suspended weren't even really the guys who were at fault. If you ask me the jackman was more at fault than the tire carrier for sure. Maybe the changer gets partial credit for not ensuring his gun was in the correct position. But the jackman didn't look back to see if everything was all good and dropped early, hurting tire carrier in the process. It looked like the fender came down right on his hand while it was still on the tire to me.

Also if this is such a big deal, why is it that every time a car comes to pit road unscheduled with a confirmed loose wheel that the offending changer is not suspended? The wheel could break and come off at any time and it is basically luck and driver intuition that keep that from happening so why aren't loose wheels that don't come off treated with, say, a 1 race suspension?

In the end for the team I guess it probably won't make an impact but for those individual crew guys that sucks and is too harsh if you ask me.

If you have to ask "why are tires flying off in the middle of a race such a big deal" :laffo:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Norns posted:

The spirit of the rule was to get teams from not securing the lugnuts and not loving up the most basic safety measure.

The issue was bad enough that Smoke called everyone out over this poo poo.

Just because the pit crew managed to spectacularly gently caress it up doesn't make the fact that it wasn't a massive safety gently caress up and that the pit crew shouldn't be punished because they cost their driver a race :qq:

They got lucky that the tire didn't whack the 78 or someone in the back of the field and cause an even bigger issue. That is not an extenuating circumstance that should get them off.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jun 7, 2017

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

So what happened in the past for the same thing happening? Prior to the 4 race suspension rule.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

obviously tires coming off of cars is bad, but so is running the car out of fuel in the middle of the pack or running lovely setups that encourage goodyears lovely tires to blow.

a 4 race suspensions for the goddamn crew guys is extremely stupid for a tire coming off, a thing that is not even any sort of penalty in nearly every other form of racing because it probably ends your day already most of the time. sure its dangerous and sucks, but the fact that its treated as some HORRIFIC EVENT by NASCAR is stupid.

'boys have at it' hurt more fans and drivers in the last 10 years than a tire coming off on the warm up lane has.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

iospace posted:

oh? It's confirmed now? Source?
I don't actually know for sure that they've come out and said it, but the writing on the wall is certainly there.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So here's my question, with the weirdness with lugnut penalties, is it time for NASCAR to finally bite the bullet and go single lug?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

iospace posted:

So here's my question, with the weirdness with lugnut penalties, is it time for NASCAR to finally bite the bullet and go single lug?

I asked this question when I started watching and got poo poo on

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

5 lugs is good theater and 1 lug is better in literally every other way so NASCAR will stay with 5.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Am I the only guy that would rather see commercials than caution pit stops?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Yes

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

kidcoelacanth posted:

I don't actually know for sure that they've come out and said it, but the writing on the wall is certainly there.

Don't think it's been flatly said, but Target's new execs don't give a gently caress about racing and it's looked like NASCAR was next to go after they pulled out of Indycar.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

iospace posted:

Single lug is dumb. It's literally the only difficult thing involved in pitstops anymore.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

exploded mummy posted:

If you have to ask "why are tires flying off in the middle of a race such a big deal" :laffo:

I think drivers racing, at speed, on a loose wheel waiting to see if a caution will come out first is a lot worse than car let down off the jack without lug nuts on and having it come off at pit road speed. So yeah I have to ask if Kyle's incident is such a big deal why aren't all loose wheels treated with the same respect?

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

daslog posted:

Hot Silly Season rumors I have heard

Erik Jones to the 20
Matt Kenseth to the 5
Aric Almirola and Smithfiled to JTG
Aric Almirola and Smithfiled to the 10
Aric Almirola and Smithfiled to the 5
Danica moves on
Roush is closing
RPM is closing
Bubba to the 43
Bowman to the 88
Carl to the 88
Carl to the 1
Newman to the 1
Bowyer to HMS
Moster leaving the 41
Mobil leaving SHR
Menard to Penske
Menard to HMS
Target is leaving NASCAR
Subway is leaving NASCAR
Ty Dillon to the 31

100% Guarantee at least 1 of these might be true.

Pretty sure Target announced that they were not going to renew with CGR when the current contract expires either at the end of this season or next, I don't remember when it ends.
And unless something drastically changes, Danica is probably going to retire at the end of the season because she hates cup and fear of injury is starting to creep into her mind.

Dillon to the 31, Subway and Monster leaving car sponsorship are all pretty plausible. Roush closing wouldn't be a shock. I think I heard at least the 6 B-series team will shutter before Daytona's July race if they don't get a new sponsor.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Red horse racing the obvious drug running team with no sponsors in trucks just folded also.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, tomorrow is the cup drivers announcing NXS. Harvick practiced... by calling his son's play time.

:3:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

https://twitter.com/Team_Penske/status/872453100975476737

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

before watching anymore than the intro i'm putting my money on helio

e: drat

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

LOL ARCA from Pocono featuring Bobby Dale Earnhardt right now on FS1.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

never in my life will there come a time when i accept that someone named their kid "Myatt"

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
:stare:

e- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHT6KjT6eow

VikingSkull fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jun 10, 2017

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Looking forward to NASCAR half-assedly explaining this one

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
that was a really good race too

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I turned on baseball, what happened?

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

iospace posted:

I turned on baseball, what happened?

Timothy Peters flipped bigly in the trioval, link is above

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

that was a really good race too

:yeah:

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

The Tilkedromes catch a bunch of poo poo for having pretty much all paved runoff, but poo poo like that and Servia's wreck at Laguna Seca really prove it's for the better. I hate seeing cars dig in like that.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I didn't know Junyer had a podcast until a few weeks ago but listened to the most recent episode yesterday while driving.

Dale was in the meetings for the OT Line and thought it only should've applied to Daytona and Talladega; we see how that turned out.

He also thinks every day Cup race the rest of the season starting at 2 or 3 Eastern is stupid and that "after church" is the ideal time.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
I miss Talladega starting at like 11am

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Uh when does church end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

In the core cup market, 2 or 3 pm

• Locked thread