Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

cowboy elvis posted:

Kinda weird that Comey rarely met with Obama/Bush.

You'd think the FBI Director and the President would talk a little more regularly.

Not at all. FBI is supposed to be independent. Also he was Deputy AG under Bush, not FBI director.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

cowboy elvis posted:

Kinda weird that Comey rarely met with Obama/Bush.

You'd think the FBI Director and the President would talk a little more regularly.

Not particularly, if the FBI needs to pass something to the President, they'd pass it via the Attorney General or intelligence channels.

You don't just waltz down and talk to CID, man. If they need you, they'll get in touch with you.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'm on a customer site today, but just from the comments in this thread it looks like it was everything we hoped for and more. Can someone give me a synopsis of what's happened so far?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

psydude posted:

I'm on a customer site today, but just from the comments in this thread it looks like it was everything we hoped for and more. Can someone give me a synopsis of what's happened so far?

Burr opening statement: Bipartisanship, EMAILS.
Warner: Uh, Russia done hosed us.
Comey statement: I'm sad about leaving the FBI, I'm glad to be here, Trump has been telling lies about me, and goodbye to my FBI brothers.
*Comey goes under oath*
Burr questioning: Did Russia hack us? Wait, poo poo, they did? Um, EMAILS.
Warner: Is Trump really that hosed up? Huh.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

GOP is all caliente because he said "nobody specifically asked me to stop the Russia probe"

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Risch, R-Idaho is up.

Let's see how this goes.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Okay, Comey just confirmed no investigation via questioning from Risch.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

redneck nazgul posted:

This is the Republican's plan. Give Trump as much daylight as possible to make the innocence narrative work.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
stop clicking your pen fucker

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Apparently Risch doesn't understand​ an implied order from a superior.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
And now Risch just made the play:

"Did he direct you to drop the Flynn investigation?"

Comey - "No. But I took his meaning as a direction. He's the President of the United States after all."

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

redneck nazgul posted:

This is a dumb question that keeps getting floated as some excusal for the president.

Trump was not the subject. The campaign is. And you start there. You get one person, nail them to the wall, and then spiderweb from there. Saying Trump isn't under investigation is essentially saying they haven't got that far yet.

Whats more surprising is the "no collusion" point. Is he saying that definitively that there wasn't collusion?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Oh gently caress off, Risch. "What are the words here? Oh, they didn't say "I order you to do something...", I guess that's not obstruction of justice!"

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Feinstein asking Comey about why he believes he was fired.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh no someone opened up the Ark of the Covenant.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Isn't he only talking about 1 on 1s with presidents? As FBI director he'd be with the AG normally right?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
lol pretty elegant trap comey did there with taking trump at his words.

Also, most notably, Comey took the President to be directing him to drop the investigation.

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment
relevant:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Isn't he only talking about 1 on 1s with presidents? As FBI director he'd be with the AG normally right?

Yes, and that appears to be the context of the "I don't want to be left alone with the President" request of AG Sessions. Specifically that the AG shouldn't have been excused from the smaller (1-on-1) meeting.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
context is funny

imagine if ivanka said she didn't want to be left 1 on 1 with trump lol

and given trump's history, this is kind of how i took it at first with comey and yeah that would be unreasonable except it's 2017

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

POST A loving TWEET, DONNIE

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

redneck nazgul posted:

POST A loving TWEET, DONNIE

He's watching this with his legal team. You sure as poo poo know his lawyers will do whatever they can to keep his tweets legally clean.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
It's Rubio time

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hope a result of this testimony is that people who raked Comey over the coals realize he was a good guy who did the right thing and was always acting in the countries and the FBI best interest.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

wife just declared: marco rubio has huge ears.

breaking news.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I hope a result of this testimony is that people who raked Comey over the coals realize he was a good guy who did the right thing and was always acting in the countries and the FBI best interest.

fuckin :laffo:

You could replace the ending of MGS3 with Comey and everybody on the left and right would find a reason to hate him.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

BUG JUG posted:

wife just declared: marco rubio has huge ears.

breaking news.

Holy gently caress I can't see anything else now

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006
lol at the idea that Comey or anyone could tell trump to his face that he's doing something wrong and expect that to be productive.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Thwomp posted:

He's watching this with his legal team. You sure as poo poo know his lawyers will do whatever they can to keep his tweets legally clean.
President Baby Hands will throw a fit until they give back his Tweeter. He has no self control.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

TBeats posted:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Thwomp posted:

I'm having a fun time imagining chairs getting knocked over and a lot of hair pulling as his legal team attempts to wrestle his phone from his hands.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

suboptimal posted:

I'm having a fun time imagining chairs getting knocked over and a lot of hair pulling as his legal team attempts to wrestle his phone from his hands.
They covered his baby hands in baby oil so he can't hold on.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

TBeats posted:

me either man

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

redneck nazgul posted:

fuckin :laffo:

You could replace the ending of MGS3 with Comey and everybody on the left and right would find a reason to hate him.

Probably.

I'm also finding this to be a metaphor for today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ScYDerDr-s

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Rubio's adopted the Chuck Schumer smug motherfucker "look over the top of the glasses" thing.

TBeats posted:

How did we all miss this during the campaign?

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

If you think they haven't jammed cell signals and changed the WiFi password to stop his phone from getting a signal out you are joking yourself.

Thats why there aren't any tweets.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I overslept, has absolutely anything of relevance happened so far? Haven't seen Trump tweet so far

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

I think Rubio might be incompetent enough to undo everything the RNC wants to do here.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

loving leaks, chug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
god Wyden's voice is ridiculously annoying

• Locked thread