Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
shoulda just made it 999, much easier to type in crisis too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
not on a rotary phone

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

RISCy Business posted:

every time i have a meeting i want to die

we only use webex, because we're the people who make webex

:smith:

it could be worse; you could be working at MicroSoft

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

RISCy Business posted:

every time i have a meeting i want to die

we only use webex, because we're the people who make webex

:smith:

how bad is working at cisco these days

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

~Coxy posted:

it could be worse; you could be working at MicroSoft

ibm dude

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

ibmer spotted

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

webex doesnt seem that bad. idk maybe i only work with competents

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
90% of all meetings in my company are over hangouts

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

mishaq posted:

how bad is working at cisco these days

i don't technically work for cisco, i work for one of their acquisitions (and we maintain a whole metric fuckton of autonomy from cisco)

except for webex

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sniep posted:

90% of all meetings in my company are over hangouts

google pays well at least

ProSlayer
Aug 11, 2008

Hi friend
our company switched to gotomeeting because webex was too expensive and now there is a noticeable two second delay on all video sharing

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

carry on then posted:

ibmer spotted

ibmer in recovery, thank you

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Maximum Leader posted:

ibmer in recovery, thank you

what division if u dont mind saying?

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
tech support before going to university. it wasn't even proper IBM, I was working for manpower. poo poo was awful

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

ProSlayer posted:

our company switched to gotomeeting because webex was too expensive and now there is a noticeable two second delay on all video sharing

only two seconds? nice - we are up to about 15 secs with skype for business powered by bluejeans

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

webex is fine the problem is people not bothering how to learn very easy features despite using it for years.

'huh every time i have an all hands call it's a shitshow because no one mutes their line. oh well- guess that's that.'

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

webex voip is very bad and a separate app from the meeting application

gotomeeting is the best overall screen sharing/voip/mobile app/it mostly just works combo

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Rex-Goliath posted:

webex is fine the problem is people not bothering how to learn very easy features despite using it for years.

'huh every time i have an all hands call it's a shitshow because no one mutes their line. oh well- guess that's that.'

we do this ownage thing where we mute all attendees then at random points ask if theres any questions on the line w/o unmuting anyone. we do this literally every time. idk if its intentional or not but i love it

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

Bloody posted:

we do this ownage thing where we mute all attendees then at random points ask if theres any questions on the line w/o unmuting anyone. we do this literally every time. idk if its intentional or not but i love it

thats another pro strat

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
my boss, a native of New Orleans, was in his youth cursed by a voodoo priestess with an absolute inability to host a meeting that ends on time.

no matter what he does, how quick he tries to get through it, or how much he attempts to defer discussion to another time there is always inevitably "one more thing" that he or someone has to bring up to be sure we get dragged past that end point.

its truly impressive.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
been in a meeting for at least the last ten minutes and my boss got distracted by a sophos alarm for some unreachable machine that reputedly has a virus. he's spent the entire ten minutes of this weekly status meeting trying to get into the machine and asking myself and my coworker, who have been pulled away from our computers, to ask us who this computer belongs to, or for advice on what to do with it.

then we spent five minutes trying to get the remote networking guy on the phone, and another ten+ minutes to look at the monitoring. hey, my coworker doesn't un-pause alarms. hey, the bad networking guy can't set up acls for the monitoring server to reach some remote servers. i'm playing pokemon jump.

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 5, 2017

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
is the virus on his computer

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

dragon enthusiast posted:

is the virus on his computer
no it was some adware poo poo from mypcbackup that the networking guy had on his computer

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Iridium posted:

my boss, a native of New Orleans, was in his youth cursed by a voodoo priestess with an absolute inability to host a meeting that ends on time.

no matter what he does, how quick he tries to get through it, or how much he attempts to defer discussion to another time there is always inevitably "one more thing" that he or someone has to bring up to be sure we get dragged past that end point.

its truly impressive.

poo poo i think i just left your team. our daily standups were almost an hour long. the oldtimers started bringing seats

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

holy crap a guy on this call is on the bart train right now and trying to participate [for non bay people it's the world's loudest public transportation system that generates a piercing high-pitched resonant whine when it hits speed]

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
take it to the transit chat honeypot

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

today we held an all hands call using:

zoom for video
a phone conference for audio
sametime for screenshare

synergy

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Partycat posted:

Absolutely in a number of states on a multi line system.

which is hosed up as all hell, always have u dial-out prefix be 8

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

carry on then posted:

today we held an all hands call using:

zoom for video
a phone conference for audio
sametime for screenshare

synergy

do you work for oracle

i hope the figgies are worth it if you do

Asymmetric POSTer fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 14, 2017

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

zoom is so bad for screen sharing and the application UI is awful much like my posting

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

we currently are actively using:
webex
skype for biz
bluejeans

and our vendors are also using:
gotomeeting
google hangouts
zoom
join.me

i rotate through all of these every day and i am in hell

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

also i just got invited to a bluejeans adoption call where a comms person in 10fps 720p video with a 15 sec audio delay lectured me and my team on why we arent driving adoption

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Mad Wack posted:

also i just got invited to a bluejeans adoption call where a comms person in 10fps 720p video with a 15 sec audio delay lectured me and my team on why we arent driving adoption

is this some 'company initiative' or something lol

working somewhere with more people than work to do can indeed be annoying

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

mishaq posted:

do you work for oracle

i hope the figgies are worth it if you do

no

this was way more complicated than usual, i think the end goal is to just use zoom but get middle management involved and all lmao breaks loose

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:

qirex posted:

zoom is so bad for screen sharing and the application UI is awful much like my posting

we switched to zoom and although what you say is correct it was way better than the last videoconferencing app we used (vidyo). It would crash whenever my USB headset was plugged in. reproducible on other peoples laptops

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Mad Wack posted:

idk why anyone uses bluejeans its literally garbage. that plugin always suuuuucks and as far as i can tell, we had it but it couldnt join any call not made by it but also nobody used it to host only to join calls :pwn:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

we just use hangouts for videochat and slack for textchat

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

i dunno why we need to move away from stmeetings honestly. if the host sets up the meeting to use audio it works fine as an all in one thing. there are much more old-rear end programs to get rid of, like our support ticket system from the literal 70s

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

carry on then posted:

i dunno why we need to move away from stmeetings honestly. if the host sets up the meeting to use audio it works fine as an all in one thing. there are much more old-rear end programs to get rid of, like our support ticket system from the literal 70s

switching cost is way lower for video chat/screen share/ip telephone solution du jour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
over the past couple weeks on conference calls there's been a weird trend that crops up. someone, upon calling in, invariably manages to trigger my boss's voicemail system. it plays through his whole message, tells you to leave a message after the tone, press a number to listen to your own messages, etc.

and then if that person doesn't hang up, it waits for 3 minutes and says you've hit the message length limit.

i assume it's my boss who's having this issue, as since this started he seems not to participate in conference calls much anymore, but he won't own up to it and we've never seen this particular magic out of him before.

good times.

happened again today on what turned out to be our last ever scrum call for this project. not because the project is finished, mind you... we just ran out of money to keep paying this dev firm to work on little enhancements that the business keeps wanting.

i will miss their inherent nonsense.

• Locked thread