Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/LoopEmma/status/872855606604038144

shyduck fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
lol if the major thing people take away from this hearing is McCain's loopiness.

I mean, the guy ha had it coming for years, but Jesus, that was painful to listen to.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Ok. The hearing is over.

I'm going to leave this open for further discussion for a couple days. Things to update:

Red and Blue response.
Photos.
Further breakdowns from lawyers.

Trump's inevitable meltdown where he shits 40 tweets attacking everyone over this.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

"Comey, The President,The President Comey, Trump, Comey, Emails brrrzztpopbrrzzzt restart complete, President Trump" - John McCain

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Thwomp posted:

lol if the major thing people take away from this hearing is McCain's loopiness.

I mean, the guy ha had it coming for years, but Jesus, that was painful to listen to.

Yet I'm seeing people say McCain tore Comey up...people are hopeless

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

GoGoGadget posted:

Yet I'm seeing people say McCain tore Comey up...people are hopeless

A: He sang the song of their people: String completed investigation, Russia, and Hillary in the same sentence enough times and people will magically believe that it's all connected.

B: Wouldn't surprise me if there's a bunch of astroturfed comments out there going gently caress YEAH MCCAIN.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

redneck nazgul posted:

B: Wouldn't surprise me if there's a bunch of astroturfed comments out there going gently caress YEAH MCCAIN.

Most of the twitter response I am seeing under McCain in trending is to the effect of "Alzheimer's is a hell of a thing".

And Brian Williams just through some serious shade at McCain.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
https://twitter.com/jacobabudaram/status/872856063862878211

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Let's not forget Comey had a friend of his leak information to spur the process of assigning a special prosecutor.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

cowboy elvis posted:

Let's not forget Comey had a friend of his leak information to spur the process of assigning a special prosecutor.

A: I trust that Comey had the wherewithal to not put anything classified into that sort of memo, especially if it might be used as evidence.

B: There's no sources and methods compromised from Comey passing said memo to a friend.

C: who cares, Comey is now the leaker, Trump is the good guy for firing the leaker and didn't do anything wrong, hail satan

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

cowboy elvis posted:

He leaked non-classified information that he documented himself....so what?

Reading Facebook, Twitter and YouTube comments is making me want to kill myself. So many people defending Trump and saying insane poo poo like that McCain destroyed Comey. "WHERE'S THE EVIDINCE OF RUSSIA HACKING? I HAVEN'T SEEN IT!? COMEY SAID THEY DIDN'T HACK THE VOTE SO WHY DOES IT MATTER!?"

The world needs a cleansing fire.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

GoGoGadget posted:

He leaked non-classified information that he documented himself....so what?

Reading Facebook, Twitter and YouTube comments is making me want to kill myself. So many people defending Trump and saying insane poo poo like that McCain destroyed Comey. "WHERE'S THE EVIDINCE OF RUSSIA HACKING? I HAVEN'T SEEN IT!? COMEY SAID THEY DIDN'T HACK THE VOTE SO WHY DOES IT MATTER!?"

The world needs a cleansing fire.

A co-worker's line of argument is that comey didn't have another person scrub the doc for classified, therefore he could have leaked classified (he didn't) and therefore reality winner needs to be let off the hook.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

GoGoGadget posted:

Reading the forums, I see plenty of "unless Russia personally changed a vote in the system, I don't care that they hacked private and government assets and effectively used US social media and news platforms to run a propaganda campaign and interfered in our election." It's pretty fuckin' dumb.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I didn't make that post as an indictment. I think it's fairly canny on his part to write memos knowing they may go public and to seek more investigative assets.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

mlmp08 posted:

Reading the forums, I see plenty of "unless Russia personally changed a vote in the system, I don't care that they hacked private and government assets and effectively used US social media and news platforms to run a propaganda campaign and interfered in our election." It's pretty fuckin' dumb.

I honestly don't get people who think like this.

Yes, no votes were changed but the fact a foreign country felt that it was ok to interfere and involve themselves in our political process is entirely hosed up on its own right.

Going camping this weekend. I plan on getting good and drunk to try put this out of my mind.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Matt Yglesias lays it out:

Matt Yglesias posted:

The Republican spin on this involves a twofold absurdity:

*The first plank is pretending not to notice that after Trump’s request to Comey regarding Flynn was not fulfilled, Trump fired Comey. That’s not a light touch at all.
*The second plank is pretending not to notice that a president covering for subordinates’ crimes is serious wrongdoing, even if the president himself is not under investigation.

Republicans have decided that rather than address this crisis situation they are going to try to manage it in pursuit of the shared agenda of tax cuts, welfare state rollback, and deregulation of banks and polluters.

The question before congress is whether or not it’s appropriate for a president to fire law enforcement officials in order to protect his friends and associates from legal scrutiny. And the answer congressional Republicans have given is that it’s fine.

The question before the public is now whether or not they will face political consequences for having reached that conclusion.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Genocide Tendency posted:

Ok. The hearing is over.

I'm going to leave this open for further discussion for a couple days. Things to update:

Red and Blue response.
Photos.
Further breakdowns from lawyers.

Trump's inevitable meltdown where he shits 40 tweets attacking everyone over this.

And if any of you are privy to what happens in the closed session, we are all ears.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yes, no votes were changed but the fact a foreign country felt that it was ok to interfere and involve themselves in our political process is entirely hosed up on its own right.

I've heard that it is within a foreign country's First Amendment right to do so.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

joat mon posted:

I've heard that it is within a foreign country's First Amendment right to do so.

What's hosed is you will get dipshits who point to things like Obama's video for Marcon and say "Same thing. What's the big deal?" :downs:

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Handsome Ralph posted:

I honestly don't get people who think like this.

Going camping this weekend. I plan on getting good and drunk to try put this out of my mind.

lol amerikkka did it to so many countries so what!?!?!?!

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

GoGoGadget posted:

america did it so it's okay!!

didn't america kill like 20 civilians with a bombing a few months ago?

just asking questions.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

GoGoGadget posted:

Really though it is funny to see this get turned against us.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

TBeats posted:

america did it so it's okay!!

didn't america kill like 20 civilians with a bombing a few months ago?

just asking questions.

More like, "America kills lots of civilians with bombing so 9/11 was justified" which is the sort of thing that people saying this about the Russian interference also believe.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
https://twitter.com/ZeddRebel/status/872882996591955969

Trump's lawyer owns Owns OWNS.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/resnikoff/status/872883546087731200

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Guy in another chat saying that trump fired comey for incompetence and after watching the testimony "that decision seems well founded. We will probably see a DOJ investigation into Comey soon". Also asserts that Comey is an attention seeker that just likes being on camera.

gently caress the world, gently caress these people.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I don't know how anyone could come to the conclusion Comey is incompetent after watching the hearing.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Well the Republicans got their marching orders. Comey is now an incompetent, law breaking, classified information leaking worthless Democrat attack dog who lied under oath and had no motivation besides obstruction of a perfectly innocent man who by the way was never under investigation just like he said.

gently caress me sideways it's God drat amazing to watch people just rewrite reality in the minds of their willing stooges. Just etch-a-sketch that poo poo away and *poof* suddenly we were always at war with Eurasia and our chocolate rations are being increased.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Terrible Robot posted:

Guy in another chat saying that trump fired comey for incompetence and after watching the testimony "that decision seems well founded. We will probably see a DOJ investigation into Comey soon". Also asserts that Comey is an attention seeker that just likes being on camera.

gently caress the world, gently caress these people.

Conveniently you can throw the presidents own words back at them. Twitter is amazing.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Also how are you "leaking" if you're not part of the government.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

cowboy elvis posted:

I don't know how anyone could come to the conclusion Comey is incompetent after watching the hearing.

These are the same people who genuinely convinced themselves that Michelle Obama is really an obese screaming negress.
Crazy people.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

hobbesmaster posted:

Conveniently you can throw the presidents own words back at them. Twitter is amazing.

I did that yesterday for a bit until I got tired of the goalposts moving and changing shape. These people are loving beyond hope.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

These are the same people who convinced themselves Michelle Obama is not fine as gently caress.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
My super conservative coworker (who has to be reminded how to log in to the computer at least once a month) is going on about BUT HER EMAILS again, this day cannot end soon enough.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Comey: hey, this gun is smoking

Republicans: what's a gun, I only see a shooty boom boom maker I have no eyes I cannot see you're a communist go away hearing adjourned

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Glad we replaced that woman with two degrees with a Russian prostitute, finally bringing class back to the White House!

*Russian prostitute never actually lives at White House*

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

shame on an IGA posted:

These are the same people who convinced themselves Michelle Obama is not fine as gently caress.

I would take Michelle Obama out for a nice dinner.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Slim Pickens posted:

Glad we replaced that woman with two degrees with a Russian prostitute, finally bringing class back to the White House!

*Russian prostitute never actually lives at White House*

Ahem, illegal immigrant* Slovenian nude model. Trump himself told us there were no Russian hookers.

But yeah, if anyone tells you that Melania is "returning class to the White House", at least they're not being shy about their racism.

*https://apnews.com/37dc7aef0ce44077930b7436be7bfd0d

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Ahem, illegal immigrant* Slovenian nude model. Trump himself told us there were no Russian hookers.

But yeah, if anyone tells you that Melania is "returning class to the White House", at least they're not being shy about their racism.

*https://apnews.com/37dc7aef0ce44077930b7436be7bfd0d

BUILD THE WALL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Out of morbid curiosity, here are the entire republican senate leadership and their wives.

decent https://imgur.com/gallery/RCILo

• Locked thread