Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Lowen SoDium posted:

I agree with all of this. But I do wonder about the TIM thing. It's been established that the problem is not the TIM specifically, but more the spacing because of the glue, right? Is there any chance that that has been corrected or will be better on these chips than it has been in the past?
they're applied in a factory processing uncountable amounts of these in a day, the large z-height variation going high enough to gently caress up thermal conductivity is pretty much a given

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
--edit: Actually, nevermind, those Wccftech numbers don't make much sense. Goddamnit. :argh:

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 6, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My 3570K doesn't consistently boot beyond 4.2GHz so I don't even need to worry about delidding for temps. :smug:

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Maybe, but they could have improved it at any point after Ivy, and they didn't.

This seems to be the crux of a lot of the complaints at this point. It's not necessarily that these chips and X299 are bad as much as they give off a pretty strong impression that Intel just doesn't give a poo poo about customers and is attempting to nickle and dime you and/or do the least amount possible when it would be trivial for them to provide a more compelling product. Turns out people--as a general rule--don't appreciate that, even if, were those trivial improvements unavailable entirely, they'd otherwise be happy with the product. Just knowing that it could be so much better makes people annoyed.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I might have a very niche use for 8 cores, but right now my 6 core Haswell does 4.7GHz. I'd be forced to make a hard decision if 8 core Skylakes ended up not doing at least 4.7GHz on average. Even "only" doing 4.7GHz wouldn't feel great because 99% of the stuff I do likes single thread performance more than lots of cores so I'd be spending probably nearly 1,000 dollars for nearly a lateral upgrade.

Alpha Man
Jun 23, 2010
Intel thermal interface mayo

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

craig588 posted:

I might have a very niche use for 8 cores, but right now my 6 core Haswell does 4.7GHz. I'd be forced to make a hard decision if 8 core Skylakes ended up not doing at least 4.7GHz on average. Even "only" doing 4.7GHz wouldn't feel great because 99% of the stuff I do likes single thread performance more than lots of cores so I'd be spending probably nearly 1,000 dollars for nearly a lateral upgrade.

Using Haswell-E as a baseline, you are probably looking at more like 9% IPC improvement and 7% clockrate improvement.

But yeah, it's not an earthshattering difference given the fact that Haswell-E has been out for 3 years now.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 6, 2017

mewse
May 2, 2006

Alpha Man posted:

Intel thermal interface mayo

This is NOT how you use thermal paste. Or mayo.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

mewse posted:

Just a single pea sized drop right in the middle for either

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

mewse posted:

Well yeah, even I know that for best results you want to be using chocolate.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Actually you're supposed to use the mayo but you need a knife to really press the mayo into all the nooks n' crannies of the socket or it won't work right.

Chocolate is just the latest fad.

eames
May 9, 2009

2013 base Crystalwell rMBP vs the new 2017 base Kaby Lake MBP, 4 years of Intel mobile CPU progress! (I assume it's the 128MB eDRAM L4 cache).

http://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/compare/3038252?baseline=3050865

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
yeah it seems so. everything that the 2013 one is better at seems to either be explicitly or subtly reliant on cache

like there are explicit memory tests, and id not be surprised if dijkstra and speech recognition loves access to enough memory to store everything in

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jun 8, 2017

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

eames posted:

2013 base Crystalwell rMBP vs the new 2017 base Kaby Lake MBP, 4 years of Intel mobile CPU progress! (I assume it's the 128MB eDRAM L4 cache).

http://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/compare/3038252?baseline=3050865

Did Apple stop ordering the SKUs that had 64MB of eDRAM L4 cache on them? The 6260U and friends sure did.

eames
May 9, 2009

IIRC Skylake GT3e/GT4e was delayed for a long time so Apple put Polaris 11 into every 15". That eliminated the need for a powerful iGPU, so they switched to the cheaper SKUs without eDRAM. The fact that Intel's iGPU roadmap was starting to look a bit bleak compared to Nvidia/AMD probably also had something with it.

The smaller 13" models probably still have eDRAM because there's no room for a dGPU.

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along
There's a PCI-SIG conference going on now, and some announcements. It looks like PCIe 4 is now all-but-published:

http://techreport.com/news/32064/pcie-4-0-specification-finally-out-with-16-gt-s-on-tap

Just waiting on the lawyers for the spec to be final. Still no word from AMD or Intel about a timeline for support. :(

SMI has a roadmap with PCIe 4 SSD controllers at end of next year: https://tweakers.net/ext/f/tv4gcfsSQVuoif5T3coYAc28/full.png

PCIe 5 announced, and they're actually shooting for 32 Gbps per lane, which is awesome. Also, apparently a super-aggressive 2019 spec target date, though at this point they're famous for delays...

https://www.techpowerup.com/234167/pci-sig-fast-tracks-evolution-to-32-gt-s-with-pci-express-5-0-architecture

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Josh Lyman posted:

My 3570K doesn't consistently boot beyond 4.2GHz so I don't even need to worry about delidding for temps. :smug:

Same but with my 2500K. It just won't go above 4.2GHz and be stable no matter what I do and it's infuriating. :bang:

And now that Coffee Lake has been pushed back to next year I'm probably going to go with a R5 1600X or an i7-7700K build this fall. 6 cores/12 threads or 4 faster cores/8 faster threads?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

crazypenguin posted:

There's a PCI-SIG conference going on now, and some announcements. It looks like PCIe 4 is now all-but-published:

http://techreport.com/news/32064/pcie-4-0-specification-finally-out-with-16-gt-s-on-tap

Just waiting on the lawyers for the spec to be final. Still no word from AMD or Intel about a timeline for support. :(

SMI has a roadmap with PCIe 4 SSD controllers at end of next year: https://tweakers.net/ext/f/tv4gcfsSQVuoif5T3coYAc28/full.png

PCIe 5 announced, and they're actually shooting for 32 Gbps per lane, which is awesome. Also, apparently a super-aggressive 2019 spec target date, though at this point they're famous for delays...

https://www.techpowerup.com/234167/pci-sig-fast-tracks-evolution-to-32-gt-s-with-pci-express-5-0-architecture

The IBM POWER9 has PCIe Gen 4 slots apparently, but good luck getting one of those if you're not a massive hyperscale or enterprise customer.

One thing that was being reported incorrectly about gen4 is that the slot provides 300W now, which is wrong. There is an additional spec for a 2x4 power connector to bump total power to 300W. So it'll be pretty similar to the videocard power cables from before.

-up to 75W - slot power
-up to 150W - slot & previously existing 2x3 power (+75W)
-up to 300W - slot & 2x3 & additional 2x4 connector (+150W)

I thought that was interesting, and had seen tech sites reporting the wrong info that it all came off the slot.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

priznat posted:

The IBM POWER9 has PCIe Gen 4 slots apparently, but good luck getting one of those if you're not a massive hyperscale or enterprise customer.

One thing that was being reported incorrectly about gen4 is that the slot provides 300W now, which is wrong. There is an additional spec for a 2x4 power connector to bump total power to 300W. So it'll be pretty similar to the videocard power cables from before.

-up to 75W - slot power
-up to 150W - slot & previously existing 2x3 power (+75W)
-up to 300W - slot & 2x3 & additional 2x4 connector (+150W)

I thought that was interesting, and had seen tech sites reporting the wrong info that it all came off the slot.

PCIe 3 tops out at what, 30W per slot without additional connectors? Should be nice for some of the absurdly dense NVMe devices that I assume are coming up.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

PCIe 3 tops out at what, 30W per slot without additional connectors? Should be nice for some of the absurdly dense NVMe devices that I assume are coming up.

75W, you can get GTX 1050 Tis that run without a 6-pin power connector I believe. 1050s for sure.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

75W for anything larger than a x4, otherwise 25W. There's also a 225W spec now, which is slot power & 2x4 150W. These are all total power numbers, 3.3 & 12v. Only the slot provides 3.3 not the aux connectors.

I think the high power ones will be for absurdly high power draw GPU and offload cards. The NVMe u.2 ff is probably limited to 25W but I'm not 100% on that..

eames
May 9, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnhXIL_E_Vc&t=208s

"that thing's gonna cook" alright

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

"Go buy an 18core i9 if you really want to Game"

Go gently caress yourself. Even the host couldn't hide his revulsion.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Not enough EXXXtreme decals or red paint on it to be a Gamer chip. Intel needs to learn from Fatal1ty about gaming hardware :colbert:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

DrDork posted:

Not enough EXXXtreme decals or red paint on it to be a Gamer chip. Intel needs to learn from Fatal1ty about gaming hardware :colbert:

Hey that had that skull canyon NUC with a skull on it!

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Go gently caress yourself. Even the host couldn't hide his revulsion.

I guess in one Intel slide at Computex they were touting the i9 for "12k gaming." I mean come the gently caress on you can't even do 8k properly with SLI 1080 Tis, even 5k is pushing the limits of practicality in modern games.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 10, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
If they'd somehow made it so an i9 turbo clocked to 5Ghz on four cores for gaming loads, that might be a nice checkmark in its favor.

As it stands, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see a "Kaby Lake-XE" with eDRAM, just introduced too late for anyone to give a drat. God knows the package has the room for it. =/

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jun 10, 2017

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

MaxxBot posted:

I guess in one Intel slide at Computex they were touting the i9 for "12k gaming." I mean come the gently caress on you can't even do 8k properly with SLI 1080 Tis, even 5k is pushing the limits of practicality in modern games.

"12K" as is commonly marketed is an incorrect way of naming 3x4K multi-monitor (11,520x2,160), so it is actually less than "8K" as properly marketed (7,680x4,320).

But then again "4K" is actually 4096x2160 not 3840x2160, so whatever, hail satan

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

BurritoJustice posted:

"12K" as is commonly marketed is an incorrect way of naming 3x4K multi-monitor (11,520x2,160), so it is actually less than "8K" as properly marketed (7,680x4,320).

But then again "4K" is actually 4096x2160 not 3840x2160, so whatever, hail satan

Why did you think inherently and incontrovertibly quantifiable phenomena would be exempt from 'lol nothing matters'?

In relevant news: Brazen intimidation over Microsoft's x86-on-ARM interpolation! Who else actually has anything vaguely resembling a commitment to x86 these days, Intel? Do you really want to tango with Microsoft over this?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah just when after all these years we might get a full desktop enabled x86 running phone.. NOPE. COCKBLOCKED. It's ok though MS lost me years ago to Android. Windows just sucks rear end on mobile.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpoies2JcmI

eames
May 9, 2009

Not to be too :tinfoil: but this is the guy that visited the Intel HQ at Oregon to talk to them about overclocking partnerships and what not.
He also designs, produces and sells SL-X delid tools. Him admitting to use a pretested CPU means it is likely one of the top 5%.
Impressive clockspeeds regardless, looks like KL vs Ryzen continued in HEDT.

PS: 94°C @4.8Ghz/1,25V on water with an open air test bench. Noctua & co have their work cut out for them. :lol:

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Delids weren't exactly required to hit high 4Ghz-ish numbers though with Kabylake. Heat was still terrible but you had a decent shot of pulling it off with a stock CPU IHS.

It looks like delids may a requirement to hit high 4Ghz-ish numbers with Skylake-X. Its not terribly hard or expensive to do but it shouldn't really be necessary considering the cost of those chips and I doubt many will do it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

MaxxBot posted:

My "ultimate computing device" would be a 60/65 inch display, Retina (220-230dpi) quality, full touch screen - allowing you to have a desktop the size of, well, a desk.

I'd need 12288x9216 pixels to do it, basically 16 4k (4 wide by 4 tall)displays stitched together (113 megapixels, imagine driving that at 120hz!)

We have a ways to go. Especially if this thing is going to be driven by my phone/tablet, docking it when I get to my desk at work or home.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 10, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

redeyes posted:

Yeah just when after all these years we might get a full desktop enabled x86 running phone.. NOPE. COCKBLOCKED. It's ok though MS lost me years ago to Android. Windows just sucks rear end on mobile.

Uh, are you really dumb enough to think a smartphone-class ARM SOC running x86 emulation was going to be at all acceptable for performance?

There are already actual x86 mobile small devices, which run massively better than the emulator solution ever could: http://www.gearbest.com/tablet-pcs/pp_364503.html

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

dont be mean to me posted:

Why did you think inherently and incontrovertibly quantifiable phenomena would be exempt from 'lol nothing matters'?

In relevant news: Brazen intimidation over Microsoft's x86-on-ARM interpolation! Who else actually has anything vaguely resembling a commitment to x86 these days, Intel? Do you really want to tango with Microsoft over this?
:laffo: if this causes Surface Book 5 to use small Ryzen+igpu

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

gently caress yes :getin:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Vega graphics surface pro 5

I want to believe

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

fishmech posted:

Uh, are you really dumb enough to think a smartphone-class ARM SOC running x86 emulation was going to be at all acceptable for performance?
B-b-b-but near real-time performance... (Playing Win32 Minesweeper.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

fishmech posted:

Um.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_GlGglbu1U&t=79s