Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

i'm like 95% sure Romulo just had his ankle broken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Romulo Barral just let his ankle get broken in the semi finals because the watch was tied as time expired.

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

That looked very painful. I know you don't wanna tap at the World Championships, but drat. Let yourself walk off the mat.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

FreakyMetalKid posted:

That looked very painful. I know you don't wanna tap at the World Championships, but drat. Let yourself walk off the mat.

Didn't he do the same thing to no sell a toe hold in an exhibition against Barnett?

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

I don't recall that, but I just saw him pushed in on a wheelchair. Not a good look.

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

That is a confusing scenario as to why Pena doesn't get any points for the end of that Galvao match. It was exciting, but points are dumb.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Holy poo poo Meregali beat Lo

e: http://imgur.com/a/3G5b2

ch3cooh fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jun 5, 2017

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

Terra vs Malfacine with another controversial ending. Terra's foot was always planted. Those last sweep points were bullshit. Points are still dumb.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

:stonk:

WayneCampbell
Oct 7, 2005
You got me a gunrack?!? I don't even own a gun, let alone alone enough to nessecitate an entire rack.

I see everyone on Instagram saying poo poo like "Oh, what a samurai, such budo, etc." but bro.... Just fuckin tap instead of not walking/training for the next year and spending 10s of thousands on surgeries and rehab

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I can maybe understand not tapping if it was in the finals and you were about to win. But the semi finals?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
you should lose a fight by technical sub if you get a bone broken. just like if you go to sleep before tapping.

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

Marching Powder posted:

you should lose a fight by technical sub if you get a bone broken. just like if you go to sleep before tapping.

Yeah. He only lost by split referee decision. Some ref thought "the guy who got his foot torn off totally won that match."

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

whenever anybody says 'budo' i think of that weedy white guy from the x-files who has a magical brain tumour

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

whenever anybody says 'budo' i think of that weedy white guy from the x-files who has a magical brain tumour

I just think of this.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Just curious, with Renzo's being the mecca of BJJ in the countries biggest city, how do they handle the amount of people who train there and what are the costs.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Renzo certainly offers a lot of classes. If you're a colored belt, there are classes for you at 7am, 12pm, 6pm, or 7:30pm.

Also, I saw that a Renzo affiliate in Queens charges more as your belt rank goes up. I've never seen this before, thought it was weird.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Most gyms here in NYC are around $200-$220/mo. The big ones just have a lot of classes and a lot of space to accommodate all their students.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

FreakyMetalKid posted:

Yeah. He only lost by split referee decision. Some ref thought "the guy who got his foot torn off totally won that match."

Gracie Barra patches on Romulo's gi probably helped

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Most gyms here in NYC are around $200-$220/mo. The big ones just have a lot of classes and a lot of space to accommodate all their students.

Interesting, I'd thought given the reputation of the school and the location that the prices would be steeper. Sucks that it's that high in the city to begin with but then again everything is.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Neon Belly posted:

Renzo certainly offers a lot of classes. If you're a colored belt, there are classes for you at 7am, 12pm, 6pm, or 7:30pm.

Also, I saw that a Renzo affiliate in Queens charges more as your belt rank goes up. I've never seen this before, thought it was weird.

The one in Manhattan has the same policy I believe

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

What's the rationale behind that? Do you get access to more classes than the lower belts?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

What's the rationale behind that? Do you get access to more classes than the lower belts?

Specialization is expensive.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Smart people will recognize that giving noobs an easier in will benefit the school.

The Watch
Feb 10, 2014

He won't see the sun again for years to come...

He's posting on Something Awful
Megamarm
Anybody happen to have any recommendations for schools in Fayetteville, NC? Going to be taking a look at a few places soon. My home school is a fairly laid back environment that encourages competition and always starts standing, so that's the type of environment I'd like out of a school.

Schools I've seen online:
Fighters 1st: has pure boxing and pure wrestling classes, which is a bonus to me. The downside is the BJJ is instructed by a purple belt it appears, but then I'm only a two stripe white belt at my home gym so I would still be learning from someone with plenty more experience than I have.

Team R.O.C.: Looks really high level but it only has two nights a week of BJJ class time, and no gi is only in mornings two days a week according to schedule.

Fayetteville Judo: Not BJJ but I've always thought Judo looked fun

Cornerstone BJJ: I think this one is pure BJJ

Gracie Barra Spring Lake: again looks to be pure BJJ

If anyone has any personal experiences I'd appreciate hearing them.

The Watch fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 7, 2017

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:wtc: why is this dude's head photoshopped onto the body there. That's from Fighters 1st.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Guy looks like source engine.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I frequently run into a guy from the Team ROC gym, I'll ask him his opinion of the school if I see him this weekend. He's a nice and talented guy, for whatever that's worth. I've also practiced with members of the judo club and they're great.

If you ever end up in Chapel Hill send me a pm, I work out with the Gracie school there and the UNC judo club.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Seltzer posted:

Just curious, with Renzo's being the mecca of BJJ in the countries biggest city, how do they handle the amount of people who train there and what are the costs.
Renzo's has a 3 floor facility with 2 main mats in the basement, the ground floor mat and the upstairs ring/cage. They also have a large number of instructors. So classes can run 7 am - 9 pm on the weekdays and 10-1 Saturday and privates on Sundays. Renzo's runs 3 classes simultaneously at most times. In addition to its main Manhattan location, Renzo's in NYC has its Brooklyn gym and affiliates in the Bronx, 4 affiliates in Queens, 2 affiliates in Staten Island so every student in the city doesn't have to go to the main gym. At its peak before the gym in Brooklyn was established, we had over 1200 students just at the main gym. In addition to the main students,, we have tons of guys from our affiliates who visit regularly plus a very high number of visitors. NYC is obviously a huge tourist destination and so a lot of people make the Renzo visit a side trip they make. A lot also come to NYC just to train as well. It all manages to work out fine though there is a wait for showers at peak times.

WayneCampbell
Oct 7, 2005
You got me a gunrack?!? I don't even own a gun, let alone alone enough to nessecitate an entire rack.

JaySB posted:

I can maybe understand not tapping if it was in the finals and you were about to win. But the semi finals?

He would have faced his student, therefore would have closed out and won.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Yuns posted:

Renzo's has a 3 floor facility with 2 main mats in the basement, the ground floor mat and the upstairs ring/cage. They also have a large number of instructors. So classes can run 7 am - 9 pm on the weekdays and 10-1 Saturday and privates on Sundays. Renzo's runs 3 classes simultaneously at most times. In addition to its main Manhattan location, Renzo's in NYC has its Brooklyn gym and affiliates in the Bronx, 4 affiliates in Queens, 2 affiliates in Staten Island so every student in the city doesn't have to go to the main gym. At its peak before the gym in Brooklyn was established, we had over 1200 students just at the main gym. In addition to the main students,, we have tons of guys from our affiliates who visit regularly plus a very high number of visitors. NYC is obviously a huge tourist destination and so a lot of people make the Renzo visit a side trip they make. A lot also come to NYC just to train as well. It all manages to work out fine though there is a wait for showers at peak times.

Wow that's cool and a bit hectic. How do they track belts, stripes, etc with 1200 students? Can lower belts train in Renzos class or are they restricted to certain classes/instructors until a certain level?

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

...and the pitch! posted:

Smart people will recognize that giving noobs an easier in will benefit the school.

And punish people as they improve.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Great way to weed out people who consider paying their team's dues punishment though

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Decades posted:

Great way to weed out people who consider paying their team's dues punishment though

A gym's best customers are people who pay dues and never show up and consume any resources. So you get people who just start, and might not commit fully, at a lower price because you still have plenty of margin on them. But as people progress to higher belts they are presumably training more in classes that are smaller. It might sound lovely but I could see the argument that they are consuming more of the gym's resources (mat space and instructor time) compared to someone in a larger beginner class, so they pay more

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

ch3cooh posted:

A gym's best customers are people who pay dues and never show up and consume any resources. So you get people who just start, and might not commit fully, at a lower price because you still have plenty of margin on them. But as people progress to higher belts they are presumably training more in classes that are smaller. It might sound lovely but I could see the argument that they are consuming more of the gym's resources (mat space and instructor time) compared to someone in a larger beginner class, so they pay more

Sure there's that side of it and that's reasonable to a point, though on the other hand it's definitely in a school's interest to include competent students of various levels as I can't imagine why someone would train in a gym full of white belts if there were other options available. But anyway we agree. Really my point was that running a business is very hard and I don't like complainers, and that getting bent out of shape over being charged slightly more over time by people who have made tremendous investments in your personal development is silly.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I also wonder if that model might have the side effect of incentivizing club service in the higher belts too.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Answering my own question, you do unlock more class options as you rank higher, too.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
On my bjj coach's recommendation to increase my assertiveness and aggression, i had my first wrestling class tonight. Fuckin awesome. Had no idea what to do but awesome!

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
On a similar note, a couple white belts got their first stripe tonight which in my school marks getting to actually roll with takedowns and submissions, and so I got reminded that my wrestling is in fact non zero and I do have some takedowns that actually kinda work, I just normally train with experienced people who defend them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
How long does it usually take to get the first stripe at white belt? I never got one and the schools I went at don't really do the stripe thing.