Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one wondering why Kasowitz double-spaces after periods.

Every lawyer I'm aware of does it. The one time someone refused to it was notable, which is rarely what you want your formatting to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/jeremyherb/status/872885908529393666

poo poo, beaten

But still, claims he was just going over everyone's heads with how genius his train of logic was

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

cr0y posted:

For us laypeople what happens next?

Kind of a loaded question.

Nothing is set to 'happen' as a direct result of Comey's testimony. This all goes in a big file marked, 'possible corruption?' that one of the several ongoing investigations may use against Trump and/or his inner circle in the event that a more serious crime comes to light. Probably nothing for a long while.

What will be infinitely more entertaining is watching Trump cut closer and closer to the bone with his base as he goes on an insane rant, which should hopefully result in some turned seats in 2018. That is honestly the more pertinent outcome barring some major revelation from the FBI. But this investigations are hush hush so we won't actually know until the shoe drops.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

cr0y posted:

The world dies a bit more as Republicans (the party of morals, family values, justice) bend the knee to Trump's poo poo

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Brony Car posted:

Many older law firm partners do this. It's really annoying, but they will get on an associate's case if they don't follow the old "two spaces after each period" rule.

...which was created for typewriters, and phased out when computers came around.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Kaddish posted:

I'll tell you what. You copy that to your congressmen, tell them this is proof that Trump fired Comey expressly to end the investigation, and ask them to impeach. I don't think it's proof but I'm just an idiot (this has been pointed out multiple times so far) on the Internet.

Whether or not Congress votes to impeach is hardly proof one way or the other that Trump fired Comey with the intent of obstructing an investigation. Impeachment is a political decision, not a legal one.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

...which was created for typewriters, and phased out when computers came around.

Wrong, it was created for college students trying to pad out their writing assignments as much as possible.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one wondering why Kasowitz double-spaces after periods.
That's what I was taught when I took typing. Not keyboarding, mind you, typing. On an IBM Selectric II. :corsair: I still do it.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

The Glumslinger posted:

poo poo, beaten

But still, claims he was just going over everyone's heads with how genius his train of logic was

lol this is such bullshit

I love it

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Yeah, it's a typewriter thing. A lot of old folks still think that's how it's done. It's also a not-so-sneaky way of adding length to a piece of writing...

To be fair I've always double spaced after a sentence. Never really thought about it being a thing until now. Must just be something learned way back when in school not taught anymore.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Majorian posted:

Whether or not Congress votes to impeach is hardly proof one way or the other that Trump fired Comey with the intent of obstructing an investigation. Impeachment is a political decision, not a legal one.

You know the President can't be indicted, right? Impeachment is literally the legal remedy for a sitting President.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

evilweasel posted:

senator mccain: "twitter has informed me i was a rambling crazyperson"

https://twitter.com/mviser/status/872886101027037184

So just how disturbed with John McCain is John McCain after hearing John McCain's crazyass ramblings in that senate hearing?

I bet he's deeply troubled.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

The Glumslinger posted:

poo poo, beaten

"Why are you being so mean to Trump when you were so nice to Hillary" is even more incoherent than what he said.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Brony Car posted:

Many older law firm partners do this. It's really annoying, but they will get on an associate's case if they don't follow the old "two spaces after each period" rule.

evilweasel posted:

Every lawyer I'm aware of does it. The one time someone refused to it was notable, which is rarely what you want your formatting to be.

I was not aware! That's very interesting. I teach writing, so it's actually kinda relevant to me.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

feedmyleg posted:

ok, you're a law firm associate. you have a lot of work to do. do you want to (a) pick a fight over a formatting issue and, at best, waste time irritating your boss or (b) put two spaces after the period just like literally everyone does, even if it is "not correct" according to non-lawyers

i mean, im not one to talk as i have a semi-ideological refusal to use bluebook abbreviations but still im not gonna pick a fight over that

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah. I'm mid-twenties and they tried to teach us the double-space rule on those old see-through Mac computers with the weird disc mice.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Unzip and Attack posted:

"Yeah but Republicans won't impeach him" is about the most cowardly assertion made in this thread, which is saying a lot. They wouldn't impeach him for caught-on-tape murder.

Just like no republican would ever break from him on the health care bill or block a travel ban.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Wait, is that not supposed be a thing anymore? I always double-space.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nazzadan posted:

in general, both are acceptable as long as you pick one and stick to it

some industries may consider one or the other wrong so just go with the flow

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

HAHA I STAYED UP LATE WATCHIN THE TV AND WAS poo poo AT MY JOB OF REPRESENTING THE AMERICAN PEOPLE TODAY SO I GOTTA GO REDO MY WORK SO IT'S INTELLIGIBLE AT ALL ALSO I'M A GENIUS MCCAIN OUT

:suicide:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

The Glumslinger posted:

poo poo, beaten

Lol so the almost certainty that Russia is actively undermining our government is NBD and as a government leader you're gonna not take a hearing by the director of the FBI on the matter seriously gently caress off you senile twat

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Kaddish posted:

You know the President can't be indicted, right? Impeachment is literally the legal remedy for a sitting President.

Presidential immunity from prosecution is not the clear cut legal issue you seem to think it is.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Fitzy Fitz posted:

If you formally learned to type during/before the 90s that was drilled into your skull. I still do it and will probably never break myself of it.

cr0y posted:

Legally this was a nothing burger with a kid's sized side of mattering fries.

Politically this was a pretty strong success and will be mined for compelling narratives to further erode the public image of trump, his cronies, and the GOP. But we aren't likely to see the rewards from that until midterms.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Nazzadan posted:

If you edit this post, you'll see there's a double space in what you wrote. If you look at it on the normal page, you'll see there's only one.

That's because the browser knows you're wrong but doesn't want to embarrass you.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

evilweasel posted:

senator mccain: "twitter has informed me i was a rambling crazyperson"

https://twitter.com/mviser/status/872886101027037184

"This statement was given by McCain to a bust of LBJ located just outside of the men's room in the Capitol building."

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Kaddish posted:

No, impeachment is the procedural step; removal from office is the legal remedy. Then he may be indicted. Also seriously, you're trying to argue that whether or not the House votes to impeach is somehow proof of whether or not Trump intended to obstruct. That's beyond :psypop:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Until put under oath, can Trump/Trump's lawyers just keep saying "Nuh uh!" about anything Comey said with no consequence? Cause it feels really hosed up that Trump's Lawyer can go out and say "This isn't true", and even if it isn't a complete lie they have already embolden their base to defend him.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
newsflash: there are no right or wrong punctuation rules, just guidelines you're expected to follow within a certain community. if lawyers doublespace after a period, that by itself means it's correct to do that in legal documents. there is no fact of the matter beyond common usage.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Nazzadan posted:

If you are doing anything that will be printed, formatted, or distributed formally by a third-party, then you should not double-space periods.

Professional printers, graphic designers, and typeface editors will just delete them because nobody uses mono-spaced fonts anymore.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Lemming posted:

If you edit this post, you'll see there's a double space in what you wrote. If you look at it on the normal page, you'll see there's only one.

That's because the browser knows you're wrong but doesn't want to embarrass you.

Looking forward to some intrepid teenager in 2030 claiming its because the olds got confused because their phones turned double spaces into periods.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Fox News is so loving stupid.

quote:

How Russian Propaganda Spread From a Parody Website to Fox News

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/06/07/world/europe/anatomy-of-fake-news-russian-propaganda.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

can you A25 a senator?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ularg posted:

Until put under oath, can Trump/Trump's lawyers just keep saying "Nuh uh!" about anything Comey said with no consequence? Cause it feels really hosed up that Trump's Lawyer can go out and say "This isn't true", and even if it isn't a complete lie they have already embolden their base to defend him.

Who, at this point, believes Trump's lawyers, or Trump himself? His voting base, and that's literally it.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Ularg posted:

Yes, but thats just giving the committee more fire power when they do put them under oath. They can go back to all of those and ask if it was true or not

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Comey's testimony also makes Trump look so hilariously, obviously dirty that it's not a stretch to think the special counsel will have a field day going after Trump and his cronies.

Like, even if Congress won't vote to impeach, every single person around Trump is a target.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The Glumslinger posted:

poo poo, beaten

I assume I'm the only one who immediately looked up the standings to see if the Diamondbacks were doing well enough to follow them from the east coast. They are actually playing well, so I'll allow it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

tfw you spent too much mental energy lying

https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/872888357201825792

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Rigel posted:

I assume I'm the only one who immediately looked up the standings to see if the Diamondbacks were doing well enough to follow them from the east coast. They are actually playing well, so I'll allow it.

Don't be a fairweather fan.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Lemming posted:

I'm feeling kind today so I think I will send a copy of my browser to Kurt Eichenwald

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Rigel posted:

I looked up whether they actually had a game last night

• Locked thread