Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

predicto posted:

no they aren't. They are trying to say that it was bullshit for everyone to be so absolutely sure that Draymond was intentionally going for the jewels when Lebron does the exact same thing on an off balance flail. And Westbrook repeatedly does the exact same thing. And Wade. And DeAndre. But Draymond is the one who does it intentionally, lol.

Just like everyone is so sure that Zaza intentionally slid his foot under Kawhi, when Aldridge and JR Smith and basically everyone in the NBA has done the same thing. But Zaza is the only intentional one.

I know when you are winning that the best thing to do is just shut up, but this stuff sticks in the craw a little. Some fans are going to point it out.

Mmmm I know what you're saying, plenty of times it's sort of questionable and the evaluation on "what just happened?" in any given fan's mind comes down to how much they like/dislike a certain player, but the angle on the Pachulia-Kawhi closeout made it one of the most obvious and deliberate undercuts I have ever seen. It was hosed up and deliberate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

EvanTH posted:

ugh "there's no excuse for missing a free throw why don't these guys practice" and a lot more F words than you'd expect

Watching ball with my 1-2 friends who love the game itself instead of hating the opposing team is so much better than watching it with my otherwise fine friends who keep calling Steph Curry a little bitch.

There's a certain threshold of adulthood in fandom past which you are able to accept that your team commits fouls, and you can actually talk about the game in front of you with folks like that.

get you a mans who can do both

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Noctone posted:

LeBron kicked his leg out a little ways, Draymond went full extension. This isn't hard.

you could argue that but GSW fans aren't going to see it that way

my point is that the GSW fans aren't trying to paint Lebron as a nutkicker, they are trying to push back against the endless allegations that the Warriors are a horribly dirty team, by pointing out that everyone and their brother in the NBA has done the same stuff without intention to hurt anyone - but when a Warriors player does so it automatically is assumed that they had malicious intent to cause an injury.

Like I said, I have learned to shut up about it on this board, because when your team is dominating, no one wants to hear this stuff even if it may be true. But the average fan out there wants to say his piece.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Space Camp fuckup posted:

I remember that hunter x az guy being the most obnoxious Suns fan of all time. These days the few fans that are still around online are pretty chill but 7 years of futility will temper any fanbase.

Honestly, that Stoudemire/Diaw suspension after Horry hip checked Nash into the scorers table just broke a lot of Suns fans minds.

e: what ever happened to HooverDam, he had a sweet av

nash admitted recently in an interview that he totally exaggerated the contact which means he himself carries culpability

Ghost Dog posted:

for instance a reputation as a fanbase of having dudes scour over films for lovely Gotcha's involving plays that look nothing alike

yes, bandwagon fans are typically the most insecure because their love of the game isn't based on the game itself but from the affiliation with success they derive from their player/team of choice

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

predicto posted:

you could argue that but GSW fans aren't going to see it that way

my point is that the GSW fans aren't trying to paint Lebron as a nutkicker, they are trying to push back against the endless allegations that the Warriors are a horribly dirty team, by pointing out that everyone and their brother in the NBA has done the same stuff without intention to hurt anyone - but when a Warriors player does so it automatically is assumed that they had malicious intent to cause an injury.

Like I said, I have learned to shut up about it on this board, because when your team is dominating, no one wants to hear this stuff even if it may be true. But the average fan out there wants to say his piece.

That's because Draymond kicked nuts like seven times last season.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Cool Buff Man posted:

I wish Draymond Green was on my team.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

EvanTH posted:

Mmmm I know what you're saying, plenty of times it's sort of questionable and the evaluation on "what just happened?" in any given fan's mind comes down to how much they like/dislike a certain player, but the angle on the Pachulia-Kawhi closeout made it one of the most obvious and deliberate undercuts I have ever seen. It was hosed up and deliberate.

no it really wasn't, and to get to that conclusion requires super slo mo and the assumption that Zaza moves like a ballerina rather than like Frankenstein's monster even after all the evidence to the contrary,

and see you pulled me in again goddammit it's hard to lay off this stuff.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

TBeats posted:

That's because Draymond kicked nuts like seven times last season.

So did Russ.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

EvanTH posted:

ugh "there's no excuse for missing a free throw why don't these guys practice" and a lot more F words than you'd expect

Watching ball with my 1-2 friends who love the game itself instead of hating the opposing team is so much better than watching it with my otherwise fine friends who keep calling Steph Curry a little bitch.

There's a certain threshold of adulthood in fandom past which you are able to accept that your team commits fouls, and you can actually talk about the game in front of you with folks like that.

Yep. Its why I love (most of) you guys

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

draymonds the kind of guy you should be embracing his dirtyness cause its almost his entire game, defensively. and hes so abrasive and obnoxious and donkey faced that youd easily troll everyone and score Huge Internet Points doing it. the warriors are absolutely an incredibly dirty team and have been their whole run, but most championship teams are. embrace it and acknowledge it cause its just flat out true and no amount of red circles over dudes legs who are not near other dudes legs will change that

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

Westbrook and DeAndre definitely do it intentionally and so does CP3. Draymond suddenly isn't doing it anymore despite it being a TOTALLY NATURAL AND UNCONTROLLABLE motion. Malone and Jordan both did it all the time too and they were absolutely nut hunting.

Actually Draymond still does the leg kick a lot but luckily no one's nuts have been nearby recently

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Ghost Dog posted:

loves role could not be replicated by a lesser player. any old stretch 4 would just be guarded by a wing and would make their whole offense drastically worse. the fact you can't do that and need 2 lebron sized dudes who can defend in the post and on the perimeter is why they steamroll lesser competition so easily. lots of teams just lose when they line up

What I'm imagining is if you could switch the quality of Love and Thompson, for example, you'd improve the team. I know that Thompson's numbers are quite good the last few years but I think that's being elevated by his role while Love's are depressed by his. I'm imaging something like Marc Gasol or DeAndre Jordan at C and then someone like, say, Danilo Gallinari or Ryan Anderson at the 4. Of course a Gasol/Anderson frontcourt would never, ever make it to the Finals healthy so that's a big point in favor of Thompson and Love. Meanwhile Love would probably go right back to being a .2+ WS/48 player somewhere else.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Cool Buff Man posted:

Yep. Its why I love (most of) you guys

Regular season caveat

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

RaySmuckles posted:

nash admitted recently in an interview that he totally exaggerated the contact which means he himself carries culpability

Well alright, I think what pissed people off was the suspension after Stoudemire and Diaw left the bench. That's the rule but it hasn't been enforced consistently.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to argue anything, it's just an explanation.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Lockback posted:

Regular season caveat

Yeah.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
the warriors are an incredibly dirty team

but it doesn't matter because the league lets them play that way and they're winning because of it!

the spurs had bowen and even retired his jersey!

seriously though, from their screens to their defense the warriors get away with a lot

predicto posted:

Actually Draymond still does the leg kick a lot but luckily no one's nuts have been nearby recently

come on, dude. the league tells the guy to cut it out, he even potentially losses in the finals for nut hunting, and all the sudden the nut hunting stops and you're going to say that's just coincidence?

draymond green is a dirty player who gets away with more than anyone else in the league. he's also really good at basketball and is about to win DPOY and his second championship.

embrace who he is.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Love is like Kawhi Leonard on defense compared to Gallinari and Ryan Anderson

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

DeimosRising posted:

What I'm imagining is if you could switch the quality of Love and Thompson, for example, you'd improve the team. I know that Thompson's numbers are quite good the last few years but I think that's being elevated by his role while Love's are depressed by his. I'm imaging something like Marc Gasol or DeAndre Jordan at C and then someone like, say, Danilo Gallinari or Ryan Anderson at the 4. Of course a Gasol/Anderson frontcourt would never, ever make it to the Finals healthy so that's a big point in favor of Thompson and Love. Meanwhile Love would probably go right back to being a .2+ WS/48 player somewhere else.

I kind of agree that for instance a defensive rim protector/rim runner like steven adams or something would have his stats inflated from the spacing while kloves mostly showing up nothing in the box score cause his job is to just make lebron even more unguardable. in that sense he is miscast/wasted but its a very important job and i don't think theres anyone else in the league who can do it like him.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

RaySmuckles posted:

come on, dude. the league tells the guy to cut it out, he even potentially losses in the finals for nut hunting, and all the sudden the nut hunting stops and you're going to say that's just coincidence?

nah dude the laws of physics changed, because that's all that was responsible for it!

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Imo, it's been cool to see a team get as close to the asymptote of "perfect ball" as we are likely to see for a long time, maybe ever. I have enjoyed the playoffs for that reason alone, despite my team predictably getting bounced by the Evil Spurs

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

by the way how was it even a question on SAS about who the shittiest fans in sports are?

http://cdn1.bloguin.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/101/2015/09/Yankee_fans061912.gif

how soon we forget

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Well alright, I think what pissed people off was the suspension after Stoudemire and Diaw left the bench. That's the rule but it hasn't been enforced consistently.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to argue anything, it's just an explanation.

i was just bringing it up as trivia, really. thought it was interesting.

i saw the play live back in 07. malice was 2004(?)

i just don't understand why anyone would think its a conspiracy because stern hated the spurs and everyone loved the suns. so why would the league do something to help a team they hate and hurt a team they loved?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

predicto posted:

by the way how was it even a question on SAS about who the shittiest fans in sports are?

http://cdn1.bloguin.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/101/2015/09/Yankee_fans061912.gif

how soon we forget

those are actually the greatest fans ever, because they gave us that gif

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

RaySmuckles posted:

draymond green is a dirty player who gets away with more than anyone else in the league. he's also really good at basketball and is about to win DPOY and his second championship.

embrace who he is.

You are right, I gotta let it go. And yes, Dray is my favorite player probably ever, so it ain't easy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The New York Basketball Yankees

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

predicto posted:

how soon we forget

They are the shittiest fans, but this is an amazing gif and the world is better for it existing.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
It's a shame Pachulia is a vory v zakone thug who lives by the ponyatiya code and he will never do the reasonable Jalen Rose thing and later reveal that yes it was intentional

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

tanglewood1420 posted:

They are the shittiest fans, but this is an amazing gif and the world is better for it existing.

I never ever ever get tired of the fat dude just grunting "gently caress You gently caress You" over and over like it is the only thing he has ever said in his entire lifetime.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

predicto posted:

how soon we forget

i like the fat guy in back just yelling "gently caress you" over and over

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Ghost Dog posted:

draymonds the kind of guy you should be embracing his dirtyness cause its almost his entire game, defensively. and hes so abrasive and obnoxious and donkey faced that youd easily troll everyone and score Huge Internet Points doing it. the warriors are absolutely an incredibly dirty team and have been their whole run, but most championship teams are. embrace it and acknowledge it cause its just flat out true and no amount of red circles over dudes legs who are not near other dudes legs will change that

Celtics fans, I will give them this, didn't even blush over the Big 3 Celts being habitual cheaters. They happily accepted that every Ubuntu player was an insufferable rear end and they mugged and moved on screens and nutchecked and faked injuries and talked unlimited poo poo and generally just sucked as humans from the ground up. Didn't matter, Boston had the best team again, and a probable top 5 all time team, and gently caress Everyone Else.

Garnett and Pierce made moving screens such a point of pride that, like the Rileyball teams and fouling every possession, they conditioned the refs to accept it and it became part of the game. We have Riley to blame for the awful state of play in the early 2000s, and we have the Celtics to blame for the modern screen and shoot game. Fortunately, although that's not how the Celts used it, that innovation has turned out to make the game overall more fun to watch imo. Melding it with D'Antoni and SVG's offenses was the key. I wonder what the next big innovation to get copied all over is, because I don't see any room for improvement on what we're seeing now over how the Warriors do it.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

the celtics are the movers of the world, curry saw IT constantly carrying the ball and famously double dribbled to attempt to not look like a bitch while being guarded by lebron. in a few short years time dribbling will be the exception as we move ever closer to football with dunking

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
https://twitter.com/jadande/status/872517216880689153/photo/1

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

predicto posted:

I never ever ever get tired of the fat dude just grunting "gently caress You gently caress You" over and over like it is the only thing he has ever said in his entire lifetime.

RaySmuckles posted:

i like the fat guy in back just yelling "gently caress you" over and over

hahaha, sports are the best :hfive:

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

is this art?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Paul Zuvella posted:

is this art?

Most definitely, and also guaranteed that woman's macaroni casserole is also art.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

RaySmuckles posted:

i just don't understand why anyone would think its a conspiracy because stern hated the spurs and everyone loved the suns. so why would the league do something to help a team they hate and hurt a team they loved?

Fandom is inherently irrational and as a sports market Phoenix has a serious inferiority complex

Stern's comments only made fans more angry

quote:

"To listen to the palaver that Robert Horry changed the series is just silly," Stern said. "What changed the series is Amare and Boris ran out onto the court and they either forgot about it or they couldn't control themselves. I don't know which one. And there wasn't an assistant coach there, one of six, to restrain them. OK, so now either we have to have new rules, put up a fence, or hire more assistant coaches."

Tim Donaghy's comments certainly didn't help put out the fire

quote:

I write in the book that there’s no doubt I feel the Phoenix Suns were the best team in in the league in 2007. And that whole series was officiated poorly, and I give the reasons in the book as to why I feel it was officiated poorly. And one of the reasons is that Tommy Nunez was the supervisor of officials in that series. And he had a dislike for the (Suns) owner Robert Sarver, and he enjoyed the lifestyle in San Antonio, and liked to get back in the next round of the playoffs and continue to go to San Antonio. So it was a situation that he was steering the series to San Antonio in tape sessions.

So you take a fanbase that's used to years of being so close but not quite good enough, largely made up of sun-baked insane people who saw 2007 as their best shot at a championship, and it doesn't take much to go full Alex Jones

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Dog posted:

the celtics are the movers of the world, curry saw IT constantly carrying the ball and famously double dribbled to attempt to not look like a bitch while being guarded by lebron. in a few short years time dribbling will be the exception as we move ever closer to football with dunking

but we already have Lebron

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Lockback posted:

Regular season caveat

haha true

predicto posted:

no it really wasn't, and to get to that conclusion requires super slo mo and the assumption that Zaza moves like a ballerina rather than like Frankenstein's monster even after all the evidence to the contrary,

nah it requires assuming he moves like a trained professional athlete who heavily modified his closeout angle, a thing people practice, in order to get beneath a guy shooting a stepback.

Lockback posted:

Most definitely, and also guaranteed that woman's macaroni casserole is also art.

Hah she's talkin' about it in the comments and it actually looks a lot better with kinder eyes in some of her shots of it :)
https://twitter.com/sandybuffie

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Love for George straight up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fandom is inherently irrational and as a sports market Phoenix has a serious inferiority complex

Stern's comments only made fans more angry

Tim Donaghy's comments certainly didn't help put out the fire

So you take a fanbase that's used to years of being so close but not quite good enough, largely made up of sun-baked insane people who saw 2007 as their best shot at a championship, and it doesn't take much to go full Alex Jones

Does Donaghy have an ounce of credibility

• Locked thread