Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Chemmy posted:

My first instinct was "oh I could use a second IC to do two things at once" but I'd probably just buy a full sized Anova for $109.

Just posting a reminder that the Precision Cooker will probably go back up to $150 after Father's Day. Or maybe they'll even jack it back up tomorrow so that it doesn't compete with the Nano's $100 regular price!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I still have my Polyscience IC. Funny to think what my wife paid for that just a few years back, compared to what you can get now.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
It's almost always worth it to buy the biggest/best piece of equipment you can afford when it comes to your hobbies. I'm sure we've all been burned by buying the second best *whatever* thinking you can learn to make do and then six months later you're shelling out for the upgrade and now you've got one just sitting on a shelf somewhere never getting used.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Human Tornada posted:

It's almost always worth it to buy the biggest/best piece of equipment you can afford when it comes to your hobbies. I'm sure we've all been burned by buying the second best *whatever* thinking you can learn to make do and then six months later you're shelling out for the upgrade and now you've got one just sitting on a shelf somewhere never getting used.

The best thing to do is really to put it in your Amazon shopping cart for two years and stare at it, waiting for an insane deal and asking people what's the best X, Y or Z several times and browsing different forums for opinions over those two years

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Steve Yun posted:

The best thing to do is really to put it in your Amazon shopping cart for two years and stare at it, waiting for an insane deal and asking people what's the best X, Y or Z several times and browsing different forums for opinions over those two years

I'm really good at this one

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Thank god I'm doing it right with all my hobbies then

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Steve Yun posted:

pretty sure this should be the new title for the entire loving forums :golfclap:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm. It going to buy the Nano but it did get me thinking that I think I want a second Anova. I never considered that. But it would make my monthly dinner parties better to not have to do things like cook steak, wait to drop temp, cook scallops, etc...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Why SV scallops?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I don't know why you'd sousvide scallops either, but regardless, your steak example is also not great either. I won't even sear off a steak until I've icebathed it, I don't wanna overcook what I spent all that effort getting right.

I'm sure there's a reason having two circulators would be beneficial, but I haven't encountered it in my kitchen yet. If it's a matter of just keeping something warm after it has cooked, I'll throw it in a pot on lowest simmer or something, personally.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Subjunctive posted:

Why SV scallops?

Because I have a tendency to overcook them and I like the certainty a locked temp gives me.

For what it's worth they were the best scallops I'd ever made and some if the best I've ever had from anywhere...

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Trip report on brisket: After ~30h at 155 it was tasty but certainly not super moist like the SE article suggested it would be--it kinda flaked, actually. I still have two more chunks of this flat left in the freezer, does anyone have any suggestions how they might be done better? I only seasoned them with salt and pepper.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Feenix posted:

Because I have a tendency to overcook them and I like the certainty a locked temp gives me.

For what it's worth they were the best scallops I'd ever made and some if the best I've ever had from anywhere...

Do you sear them afterwards?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

AnonSpore posted:

Trip report on brisket: After ~30h at 155 it was tasty but certainly not super moist like the SE article suggested it would be--it kinda flaked, actually. I still have two more chunks of this flat left in the freezer, does anyone have any suggestions how they might be done better? I only seasoned them with salt and pepper.

If you want a more steak like texture, bring the heat down.

Try 130-140 for 30-72.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Subjunctive posted:

Do you sear them afterwards?

Depends in the final recipe, but I usually torch them a few seconds.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

toplitzin posted:

If you want a more steak like texture, bring the heat down.

Try 130-140 for 30-72.

I'm not looking for a steaky texture, I just want a brisket that's not tender and not dry, which is how the pics in the SE article look but not really how mine turned out. I was wondering if there was something obvious I was missing.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Tips on smaller breast cutlet piece temps and times? Last time I followed a recipe for breast but not small cutlets and it was dry. I want to do like little taco filler.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Feenix posted:

Tips on smaller breast cutlet piece temps and times? Last time I followed a recipe for breast but not small cutlets and it was dry. I want to do like little taco filler.

For chicken breast I like 140 for 1.5 hours, which is right on the low end of the serious eats recommendations.
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/07/sous-vide-chicken-breast-recipe.html

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

ulmont posted:

For chicken breast I like 140 for 1.5 hours, which is right on the low end of the serious eats recommendations.
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/07/sous-vide-chicken-breast-recipe.html

Would that be the same for thin cutlets? I wonder if it was the searing (I was fast) that dried them out because it was thin and boneless)

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Feenix posted:

Would that be the same for thin cutlets? I wonder if it was the searing (I was fast) that dried them out because it was thin and boneless)

Considering that the timing range goes all the way up to 4 hours, I can't imagine a thin cutlet having a problem with 1.5 hours.

I would think that either the searing is what dried out the pieces or that the temperature was too high to begin with.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I don't know that I'd bother with sous vide for a thin chicken cutlet. Putting a good sear on the outside of it should cook the interior itself.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Stop telling people to not sous vide in the sous vide thread holy poo poo guys

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Norns posted:

Why is "what things is SV good/bad for" not a topic for this thread, you are ridiculous

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Sir Kodiak posted:

I don't know that I'd bother with sous vide for a thin chicken cutlet. Putting a good sear on the outside of it should cook the interior itself.

I would. If it's going to be taco filling I would not sear.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
How about this? I actually appreciate advice cautioning against SVing something that is overly pointless for too much work. However, if someone is insistent on SV they probably have their reasons and should not be harassed or ridiculed about it. At the very least, it's their prerogative.

That said, I ended up buying boneless chicken breast nice big juicy ones that were on special today and I'm going to do them at 140°F with a marinade.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

ulmont posted:

I would. If it's going to be taco filling I would not sear.

Well, I would, but you do you. My point is that with a thin chicken cutlet I'd pick one or the other, not do both.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Yeah doing both last time (not for tacos) was likely my mistake.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I like putting some water with a ton of crushed up dried chilis in a bag with a breast, doing it at 150 for 1.5-2 hours and shreading with no sear.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Norns posted:

Time to resume my alcohol vaping experiments :getin:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BrianBoitano posted:

Time to resume my alcohol vaping experiments :getin:

Just get this

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I like putting some water with a ton of crushed up dried chilis in a bag with a breast, doing it at 150 for 1.5-2 hours and shreading with no sear.

If I have a wet marinade already to go, will that sub for water? I assume so. And 150 or 140? I do intend to shred

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I don't know how the marinade may interact if it is either very salty or acidic. I like 150 for shredding and 140 for a sear.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

2 hours is on the long side for breast meat, especially if you're going to shred it. is thigh meat not available?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Elizabethan Error posted:

2 hours is on the long side for breast meat, especially if you're going to shred it. is thigh meat not available?

Thigh Meat is not available in the sense that I have purchased and returned home with boneless breast meat that was on special. So yes. Not available. ;)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Man, 150 with a marinade. So juicy!!!

This would make a really good "quick" pulled chicken!

Thanks for all the tips!!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Norns posted:

hey

hey

gently caress you

no really, some poo poo shouldn't be sous vide. like tiny scallops. and thin chicken cutlets. cooking sous vide is a technique. like braising. or boiling. or poaching.

if there as a Boiling Food Megathread, I would get up in arms at someone suggesting boiling a bone in thick cut ribeye. it's cool, they can boil their ribeye if they really want, but if they post about it with enthusiasm on an internet comedy forum about cooking I'm gonna sip my whitewine on dem 1 time and fuckin get indignant. :colbert:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

what if you boil it sous vide

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
IM GONNA FUCKIN CUT U M8

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Feenix posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Yeah, suck it! :)