Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/Dbacks/status/872889256850501632

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Intruder posted:

Kindly wait until the Astros actually have a championship before pulling the "You can't whine about your successful team" card :colbert:

No one tells the Mariners fans they can't be upset about their team because of 2001!

I look forward to the Astros winning 120 games and then losing to the Yankees in 5 in the ALCS.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Poque posted:

I look forward to the Astros winning 120 games and then losing to the Yankees in 5 in the ALCS.

I don't, because that would mean the Yankees are going to the WS.

Again.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Intruder posted:

Kindly wait until the Astros actually have a championship before pulling the "You can't whine about your successful team" card :colbert:

It's fun seeing Astros fans being treated like Cubs fans were last year. :munch:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Poque posted:

Some Numbers posted:

I don't, because that would mean the Yankees are going to the WS.

Again.

Learn to love it :getin:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

It's fun seeing Astros fans being treated like Cubs fans were last year. :munch:

Yeah, all 4 of us

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The difference is if the Astros lose a game or even just aren't leading in the 3rd inning, Intruder isn't posting repeatedly about how the team is poo poo and everything is poo poo and oh no woe be upon him.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008

Inspector_666 posted:

The difference is if the Astros lose a game or even just aren't leading in the 3rd inning, Intruder isn't posting repeatedly about how the team is poo poo and everything is poo poo and oh no woe be upon him.

I can't count the amount of times I was reading Cubsposters complain about the team or blowing the game or whatever and 9 times out of 10 when I checked the score they were either still winning or tied. It was really weird

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yeah, all 4 of us

This past week has me just completely depressed about the Cardinals. I'm getting by rooting for the Astros and for Albert to hit some more dingers. When McHugh gets back I'll be even more vocal, probably. Hope you enjoy having a Cardinals fan as an ally!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inspector_666 posted:

Look we have a bit, okay? :v:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Pancakes posted:

This past week has me just completely depressed about the Cardinals. I'm getting by rooting for the Astros and for Albert to hit some more dingers. When McHugh gets back I'll be even more vocal, probably. Hope you enjoy having a Cardinals fan as an ally!

This is acceptable. And speaking of McHugh, he's officially on the 60-Day DL now.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Well, I guess it's a good thing we built up that divisional lead!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This is acceptable. And speaking of McHugh, he's officially on the 60-Day DL now.

Yeah but that goes back to the start of the season. How long does that keep him on the DL from this point?

We also haven't had our annual McCullers injury yet which I'm dreading

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

this is depressing, but i appreciate the thoughtfulness of the article. it relays the facts, the relevant laws, and provides actual context about the severity of the crime and the state's opinion that he's unlikely to be a danger going forward.

i imagine it's not going to tank him in the draft too much because it's not hard for a team to say "he didn't understand Oregon's laws but he's done everything by the book since his incident and the criminal justice system believes he is unlikely to reoffend". he'll probably get a much smaller signing bonus though.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I hope the picks the Astros got from the Cardinals give them the draft pool flexibility to lure Shane Baz away from TCU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

We may be forced to trade for a starter...

That's not a great position to be in.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

It seemed likely we'd be trading for one anyway :shrug:

On the plus side you get to see what you have in Peacock and Paulino until the others get back. It's probably early to call up Martes but maybe he'll blossom

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Kirios posted:

With the way the Cardinals have been playing, Lance Lynn should be available at some point. Along with Rosenthal and Oh.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
For a while Russell seemed like a steal of a trade. Now if they dump him it'll probably just be a release because I don't know who would be willing to take the pr hit of trading for him.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Inspector_666 posted:

A new McGiblets shall rise...

COMING OCTOBER 2017

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kirios posted:

You and every team looking to contend this year. Like off the top of my head the Yankees, Red Sox, Indians, Twins, Brewers and Cubs would all need rotation upgrades to make a viable post season run.

There's going to be a lot of demand for pitching and not a whole lot of quality pitchers to be dealt come the deadline, barring the Cards deciding to blow it up and deal their rotation.

Your Taint posted:

For a while Russell seemed like a steal of a trade. Now if they dump him it'll probably just be a release because I don't know who would be willing to take the pr hit of trading for him.

FWIW he's denied it, although I'm not sure anybody expected a different response. For now all we can do is wait and see how it plays out; my fingers are still crossed that at least the abuse allegations aren't true.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I dunno, he was a top 5 prospect. I don't think the businesses that are MLB teams would just give up on that because of domestic violence. It's a lovely business. He's 23 and literally got MVP votes last year.

Not trying to downplay domestic violence, at all, but I think you forget that a lot of rich people don't give a poo poo and want to win.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Astros aren't a team that makes big splashes in the trade market. They won't be going for a Gray or Archer or Quintana. They'll look for like a Vargas or something. That's why any time Gerrit Cole's name comes up I just roll my eyes and don't even consider it

Though it's possible the Astros are hoping to showcase Martes a bit to recover some of his trade value since he's had a rough start to the year :shrug:

The one "big" move they've made was the Gomez trade and that blew up in their face

Now if Gerry Hunsicker was still around I'd consider it a possibility, but it doesn't seem like Luhnow's style

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Kyle Hendricks to the 10 day DL with right hand tendinitis. That's not good.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sydin posted:

You and every team looking to contend this year. Like off the top of my head the Yankees, Red Sox, Indians, Twins, Brewers and Cubs would all need rotation upgrades to make a viable post season run.

The Brewers going for it this year would not mesh with what we've seen of Actual Boy Genius David Stearns's style so far and if they did do that I'd argue he should be fired immediately.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sydin posted:

Maybe Tanaka remembers how to throw a breaking pitch though. If that happens and we're seeing the real Severino and Pineda, I think the stand pat on the rotation.

They should go for a lefty for the bullpen, but that's a concern regardless of the playoff situation, honestly.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Intruder posted:

The Astros aren't a team that makes big splashes in the trade market. They won't be going for a Gray or Archer or Quintana.

Hot take: Lance Lynn is better than all three of those pitchers, and will probably be available. Although only a ~2 month rental, while the guys you mention would be longer term trades.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Hot take: Lance Lynn is better than all three of those pitchers, and will probably be available. Although only a ~2 month rental, while the guys you mention would be longer term trades.

Luhnow pretty much always tries to trade for dudes with multiple years of team control left

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Weird situation. I think the Cubs would outright suspend him if he had been arrested or there was a police investigation into the matter. But I'm gathering this is from an Instagram post by one of his wife's friends? He isn't playing tonight which feels right and I get the feeling he probably won't play this weekend until things become a little clearer.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

beejay posted:

Sounds like it'll be the minimum and he'll just miss a start or two. At least it wasn't something in the forearm.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

beejay posted:

It's not, but OTOH it might explain why after seemingly getting back on track he's been falling apart in the 4th-5th innings of his previous couple starts. Hopefully he comes back looking better.

cis autodrag posted:

The Brewers going for it this year would not mesh with what we've seen of Actual Boy Genius David Stearns's style so far and if they did do that I'd argue he should be fired immediately.

Just because you're ahead of schedule doesn't mean you don't pounce on a window if it's opening. If the Brewers are still in first place in the division at the deadline, why not go all in?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I would take Archer over the rest. Lynn and Gray have injury concerns, and Quintana is just sucking.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Sydin posted:

There's going to be a lot of demand for pitching and not a whole lot of quality pitchers to be dealt come the deadline, barring the Cards deciding to blow it up and deal their rotation.

FWIW he's denied it, although I'm not sure anybody expected a different response. For now all we can do is wait and see how it plays out; my fingers are still crossed that at least the abuse allegations aren't true.

I believe in "innocent until proven guilty" in both a court of law and the court of public opinion, but allegations like this usually have some merit. I don't want it to be true. If his marriage is in trouble that's one thing. It's another entirely if he got physically abusive.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Your Taint posted:

I believe in "innocent until proven guilty" in both a court of law and the court of public opinion, but allegations like this usually have some merit. I don't want it to be true. If his marriage is in trouble that's one thing. It's another entirely if he got physically abusive.

:agreed: It's clear something is going on between him and his wife, but the only allegations of abuse came from a third party - not Melisa herself - and the post was later deleted. That doesn't mean it's not true, but it does put it up in the air. If Addy was cheating on his wife that certainly makes me think less of him, but it's not the tipping point that physical abuse is to me.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Archer is better. Lynn's been pretty lucky this year.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Sydin posted:

:agreed: It's clear something is going on between him and his wife, but the only allegations of abuse came from a third party - not Melisa herself - and the post was later deleted. That doesn't mean it's not true, but it does put it up in the air. If Addy was cheating on his wife that certainly makes me think less of him, but it's not the tipping point that physical abuse is to me.

Like someone upthread said, I can root for a player who is a jerk. A wife beater is different.

I didn't like Chapman at all, but at least we all knew he was a mercenary and not in the teams future plans.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Kyle Schwarber for Chris Archer. Let's do this.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Niwrad posted:

Kyle Schwarber for Chris Archer. Let's do this.

Russell for Archer.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sydin posted:

Just because you're ahead of schedule doesn't mean you don't pounce on a window if it's opening. If the Brewers are still in first place in the division at the deadline, why not go all in?

did you miss 2014 where just this happened and then they completely collapsed because prospects playing okay for 3 months does not a playoff team make? see if your guys can sustain a performance for a full season before you go trading the farm for playoff pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Carlos Beltran and Francis Martes for Kyle Schwarber :colbert:

• Locked thread