Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

namaste faggots posted:

why can't you loving nerds see the value of buying some VOO and waiting 10 years

Oh right loving nerds

10 years from now might not be long enough if there's a significant correction. 20+ years is probably pretty reliable, barring some kind of hyperinflation or other economic catastrophe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

namaste faggots posted:

why can't you loving nerds see the value of buying some VOO and waiting 10 years

Oh right loving nerds

Some of us don't have as long a runway to retirement!

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Wait a year for the US economy to collapse. It's approaching a peak and they'll gently caress it all up before too long.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Subjunctive posted:

Some of us don't have as long a runway to retirement!

That's when you need to get in on them Toronto house gains

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I have like 85% of my families money in VXC ETFs or similar style investments, a pension income during retirement, and a my housing equity.

I only have 315 shares of AMD :qq:

Reality Winner posted:

Wait a year for the US economy to collapse. It's approaching a peak and they'll gently caress it all up before too long.

Could happen, who's all in on VTI or VUN? raise those hands

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Postess with the Mostest posted:

That's when you need to get in on them Toronto house gains

I have around a third of my portfolio in Toronto real estate, yeah.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Risky Bisquick posted:

I have like 85% of my families money in VXC ETFs or similar style investments, a pension income during retirement, and a my housing equity.

I only have 315 shares of AMD :qq:

Could happen, who's all in on VTI or VUN? raise those hands

I'm like half VUN and half VXC with a smattering of ironic Hydro One shares. No way is the american economy crashing though, I think he's posting as his new username.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

My retirement savings are in boring ETFs. That and house equity.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

I'm like half VUN and half VXC with a smattering of ironic Hydro One shares. No way is the american economy crashing though, I think he's posting as his new username.

I just knew you would buy TSE:H. They seem like a boring equity whose return you can get from index etfs.

Housing equity, it feels dirty saying this outloud as part of my retirement strategy

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

cowofwar posted:

*smugly points out mad gains realized by idiot that speculates on dumb poo poo*
*ignores the masses of other idiot speculators that literally lost everything speculating on dumb poo poo*

Sure this wasn't meant for the Bitcoin thread in GBS?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/FIVRE604/status/872912771888717824

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

The last times the US had an unemployment rate below 5% were in 2008, before the housing crash, and in 2001, before the dotcom crash, and before that, in the 70s. It's at I believe 4.4% right now. It cant keep growing for too much longer. Chaos in the White House isn't helping matters, with their big promises of tax cuts and infrastructure spending seeming unlikely. It's hard to time this poo poo, but a downturn is coming, guaranteed.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Reality Winner posted:

The last times the US had an unemployment rate below 5% were in 2008, before the housing crash, and in 2001, before the dotcom crash, and before that, in the 70s. It's at I believe 4.4% right now. It cant keep growing for too much longer. Chaos in the White House isn't helping matters, with their big promises of tax cuts and infrastructure spending seeming unlikely. It's hard to time this poo poo, but a downturn is coming, guaranteed.

The way the rate is calculated has changed over time so the numbers aren't directly comparable

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I don't want to live in a world where AMD isn't a laughing stock of a company.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

HookShot posted:

I don't want to live in a world where AMD isn't a laughing stock of a company.

AMD gonna hit 14-15 by Sept brotherrrr

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Reality Winner posted:

It's a great gimmick dude, you're bang on with the "we're just due" antifa level retardation.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

It's a great gimmick dude, you're bang on with the "we're just due" antifa level retardation.

He should cash out his real estate if any holdings, and rent. Also cash out of equities and go balls deep into stable investments, like Israel bonds.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I have a few thousand shares of amzn. Feels good man.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Lmao loving nerds have no idea what risk or diversification is

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

yeah wow who buys individual stocks or keeps track of how many goog shares they have wtf

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

namaste faggots posted:

Lmao loving nerds have no idea what risk or diversification is

I diversified my portfolio by buying a minivan, risk is low also 5 star rating.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
ETFs are also the best way to diversify into cluster bombs guilt free.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

ETFs are also the best way to diversify into cluster bombs guilt free.

Have you considered conflict free Israel bonds?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
If you didn't triple your principle by trading the weed bubble, I feel kinda sorry for ya. :chord:

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Risky Bisquick posted:

Have you considered conflict free Israel bonds?

Tried, accidentally donated to Ezra's gofundme

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Rime posted:

If you didn't triple your principle by trading the weed bubble, I feel kinda sorry for ya. :chord:

Yeah that was loving dope (heh).

I left a smaller amount in as a long term (2-3) year hold just to see what ends up happening and man that bubble deflated hard. Can't complain after what I made initially though, and who knows, we might get another bubble closer to legalization time.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

lol that you demonstrate two separate ignorances of history in one sentence. :bravo:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cool
http://www.news1130.com/2017/06/04/ndp-pledges-review-first-time-homebuyer-loan-program/

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Rime posted:

Stop loss like 10% or whatever amount doesn't trigger on normal volume. Someone I know, not me obviously, is bag holding after catching the knife on the downward trend. It will pay off imo over like 2 years or whatever it takes takes for the speculators to buy back into it.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Risky Bisquick posted:

Stop loss like 10% or whatever amount doesn't trigger on normal volume.

No no no, leave it the gently caress alone right now. Just watch HMMJ, play with gambling money (on a couple biggest stocks, not the ETF) on a sustained uptrend later. Could still get worse in the near term.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

You laugh but my brother in law was a "lego investor" and recently cashed out about $18k worth of old rare sets that he bought at release and just stored.

Whoa. Is this like fully boxed with manuals or just pieces? I have heaps of complete lego sets from when I was a kid but I doubt I have boxes and manuals for most of them. Typical kid not thinking and just threw that poo poo out.

Nerd stocks like AMD are doing great right now. Nintendo is up ~50% since the switch came out. TTWO, EA been doing great as well.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jun 9, 2017

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

You laugh but my brother in law was a "lego investor" and recently cashed out about $18k worth of old rare sets that he bought at release and just stored.

Plot twist: he spent $20k acquiring them

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
https://www.ft.com/content/c8bae1f4-3898-11e7-821a-6027b8a20f23

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

quote:

Luxury developers are offering lavish inducements to would-be buyers, from price discounts and tax incentives to gift cards, sports tickets and furniture packs. One development in north London boasts a free car for every purchaser. “Other than a ‘buy one get one free’, I’m not sure what more they can do,” says Henry Pryor, a London property buying agent.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Just buy a house sheeple, the price has never looked so low.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

quote:

In Nine Elms, analysts have long questioned the sheer number of planned luxury apartments. “It’s looking to be quite a major oversupply,” says Roarie Scarisbrick, agent at Property Vision. Another developer, St Modwen, wrote down the value of its land holdings in the area by 17 per cent last year. Battersea Power Station Development Corporation, which is developing the historic building itself, has applied to delay the construction of 103 affordable homes and review other affordable housing commitments. Citing rising costs and economic uncertainty, it said its expected internal rate of return had dropped to 8.2 per cent from a projected 20 per cent. It is not the only group seeking to modify its affordable housing obligations as Brexit casts a cloud over the economy.

Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi, chief executive of the London developer Banda Property, says: “The private sector alone cannot deal with affordable housing. This way, it only gets built if the top end of the market is working.”

:qq:

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Maybe the government shouldn't be subsidizing for-profit developers in the hopes that they build a couple units for poor people.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

cowofwar posted:

Maybe the government shouldn't be subsidizing for-profit developers in the hopes that they build a couple units for poor people.

Yeah, this. Providing affordable housing units should be a loving CONDITION to build, we shouldn't be bending over for developers anymore in these areas with hot markets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Can anyone unequivocally prove that there is a shortage of housing in Vancouver? Is there housing market here elastic or not?