Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Trump's legacy will be W's soaring popularity.

Well, part of his legacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

West Point is giving their highest award to the guy who did 9/11
https://www.westpointaog.org/thayerawardgeorgebushbiography

"Here's an idea - let's honor someone who got a bunch of our friends and coworkers killed for fabricated reasons!"

How can anyone in the military look at Bush with anything but disgust?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

"Here's an idea - let's honor someone who got a bunch of our friends and coworkers killed for fabricated reasons!"

Academy nobles worst nobles.

e: okay, actually the fake academy nobles (citadel, VMI, A&M) are the worst but my point stands.

Stultus Maximus fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 8, 2017

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Iraq made the Army relevant again. I'm not even joking: polls from before 2003 listed the airforce as the most important service, whereas polls after 2003 listed the Army. So hosed up nobles probably view this as a good thing.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
If it wasn't for Iraq we wouldn't have had the new GI Bill, and we would all still be in and miserable on our 4th wife / 5th kid or otherwise working a job that requires a nametag.

I mean, on the other hand there's like 3T in expenses and thousands of souls but hey at least I got to go to college.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
It's actually the USMA alumni association that gives the award, so only the cool-aid-iest of the cool-aid drinkers.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

joat mon posted:

It's actually the USMA alumni association that gives the award, so only the cool-aid-iest of the cool-aid drinkers.

Fuuuuuuuuuck I can't even imagine

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I wonder if they knock their rings together while jerking each other off.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
First UK exit poll is out from the BBC.

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/872921264205201409

That's a clusterfuck and a hung parliament if it turns out to be true.

https://twitter.com/DecisionDeskHQ/status/872921910178308096

In other words, Theresa May hosed up very, very badly.

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/872923045865951233

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 8, 2017

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

facialimpediment posted:

Aka Theresa May hosed up very, very badly.

Hahahah, the Tories owned themselves once again :bravo:

EDIT: Get ready to party like it's 2007:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/872916557827067904

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

That's a weapons grade fuckup right there, holy poo poo.

Edit: The real question is how will the US outdo this?

LostCosmonaut fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 8, 2017

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

facialimpediment posted:

In other words, Theresa May hosed up very, very badly.

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/872923045865951233

man i'm real torn on this because on the one hand gently caress the tories, but on the other hand Corbyn is literally an insane terrorist sympathizer

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

The Iron Rose posted:

man i'm real torn on this because on the one hand gently caress the tories, but on the other hand Corbyn is literally an insane terrorist sympathizer

Anything that fucks up Brexit is good.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

The Iron Rose posted:

Is this Fox news-speak for 'Corbyn is left of May and Cameron', or are there some facts that most people agree would make him a terrorist sympathizer?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Corbyn thinks drone strikes against terrorists are wrong. And he thinks Hamas should be removed from the terrorist list.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Corbyn is batshit crazy.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Corbyn is batshit crazy.

May is actively malicious :shrug:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

May is actively malicious :shrug:

Competent at least.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Someone tell me what the best outcome Tories hoped for was

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Competent at least.

This latest campaign and election strongly suggest otherwise.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
BBC still reporting a majority is possible.

On the bright side the pound is tanking at the thought of Comrade Corbyn...So a good time to biy Arrow Blurays of Italian Horror films for cheaper.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
this just in most western politicians suck

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

TBeats posted:

this just in most western politicians suck

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

speak for yourselves

we have woke bae

(he's actually pretty drat useless)

Orlando Furioso
Nov 7, 2012

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Someone tell me what the best outcome Tories hoped for was

They were hoping for a massive increase in their Commons majority (reduces the threat of any backbench rebellions by MPs), instead the Exit Poll has them losing the majority and a really weird Hung Parliament scenario where the Tories would need to reach a working agreement with at least two smaller parties to be able to form a government.

If those agreements break down at any point, welp Tories would be hosed

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yeah, I don't see SNP cooperating with the Tories.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Basically,

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
I don't think Corbyn is crazy, just idealized and unfit to run a cabinet. He's a decent bloke under some dumb ideas.

On the other hand John McDonald is crazy, smart and dangerous. Like a marxist Cheney.

I wouldn't trust the exit polls just yet though, they hosed up the last election pretty well.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

joat mon posted:

Is this Fox news-speak for 'Corbyn is left of May and Cameron', or are there some facts that most people agree would make him a terrorist sympathizer?

http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/06/07/voting-for-jeremy-corbyn-isnt-just-dumb-its-dangerous/

I'd quote notable points but it's actually the entire thing.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

I have about zero actual opinion of Corbyn, but the combination of paid FP article labeling Corbyn as dangerous, posts saying he's radically left, and that someone got super pissed (I assumed) and got you a Hillary neo-liberal death cult avatar is a pretty awesome mirepoix of posting history.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

I have about zero actual opinion of Corbyn, but the combination of paid FP article labeling Corbyn as dangerous, posts saying he's radically left, and that someone got super pissed (I assumed) and got you a Hillary neo-liberal death cult avatar is a pretty awesome mirepoix of posting history.

I got the death cult avatar for defending drones, iirc.

But here's the most damning quotes from the article (there are more!)

quote:

Onward to the Middle East, where Corbyn’s affinities are determined by whichever thug or religious sectarian can claim to be “anti-imperialist” (that is, anti-American, anti-British, or anti-Israel). He infamously called Hamas and Hezbollah “friends.” He accepted 20,000 pounds to appear five times on PressTV, the Iranian regime-funded propaganda outlet later banned in the U.K. for broadcasting the forced confession of an independent journalist (who later called Corbyn and other Westerners who appear on the network “useful idiots”). The assassination of Osama bin Laden at the hands of American special forces operators was a “tragedy.” Corbyn once invited to tea and praised as an “honored citizen” a Palestinian Islamist who claimed Jews were behind the 9/11 attacks. Indeed, Corbyn’s sympathy for Jew-haters is ecumenical: In 2015, after the Church of England reprimanded a vicar who had used social media to blame Israel for 9/11, Corbyn rushed to the cleric’s defense, stating that the poor fellow had been targeted because he “dared to speak out against Zionism.” For four years, Corbyn served as the chairman of the misnamed Stop the War Coalition, misnamed because it’s only opposed to Western-backed wars and silent (if not supportive) of those waged by Russia, Hamas, the Syrian regime of Bashar al-Assad, and Iran’s mullahs.

The list of dubious relationships, crackpot proclamations, and leftist sympathies for some of the vilest governments and political movements on Earth is endless. In a 2003 book, Corbyn insisted the Soviet Union was “no real threat” and that North Korea is “not a rogue state.” Western sanctions on the totalitarian Kim dynasty, which starves and tortures its own people to death by the millions, comprises a plot to “force some kind of integration between North and South Korea,” an outcome that, according to Corbyn, would bring about a real horror: “the spread of free market capitalism into North Korea.” Corbyn has contributed many articles over the years to the communist newspaper Morning Star, which recently hailed the “liberation” of Aleppo by Assad and his Russian patrons. (While stating he disagreed with the headline, Corbyn nonetheless avowed he would continue to read and “no doubt will probably write again” for the paper.) After Hugo Chávez died in 2013, Corbyn eulogized the Venezuelan strongman for “showing that the poor matter and wealth can be shared.” (Thanks to Chávez and his successor, Nicolás Maduro, Venezuela has so much wealth today that its citizens riot over toilet paper.)

In a 2015 debate, he admitted that he could not think of a single instance in which he would support the deployment of British troops abroad and the following year, when asked specifically what Britain should do if Russia attacked a NATO ally, replied with the following bit of adolescent pacifism: “What I want to do is achieve a world where we don’t need to go to war, where there is no need for it. That can be done.” Long an advocate for unilaterally scrapping the U.K. nuclear arsenal, known as Trident, Corbyn explicitly refused last week to state whether he would retaliate in the event of a nuclear strike on Britain, effectively negating the entire concept of deterrence

Not bothering to quote in all the links, but every single claim is sourced in the article.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Corbyn is an idiot but I want to see May dropkicked into the gutter and take Boris with her.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

They're a hell of a long way from the results right now. Check out the second graph here and they've hardly counted any. With the US election, I went to bed at this stage and Hillary was comfortably in front. When I woke up, Donald trump was president.

Orlando Furioso
Nov 7, 2012

Casimir Radon posted:

Corbyn is an idiot but I want to see May dropkicked into the gutter and take Boris with her.

If this goes badly for May, I expect Boris will be slipping the knife into her back and making a leadership bid

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

The Iron Rose posted:

Not bothering to quote in all the links, but every single claim is sourced in the article.

Ah, yeah, that's some rather daffy stuff!

edit for internet: There was no sarcasm in that sentence.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Jaguars! posted:

When I woke up, Donald trump was president.

Waking up to "PRESIDENT TRUMP" as the headline that morning was like waking up in an alternate timeline where the Nazis won. Except it wasn't an alternate timeline.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Yeah and all but gently caress the Tories

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Orlando Furioso posted:

If this goes badly for May, I expect Boris will be slipping the knife into her back and making a leadership bid
He's a moron so that might gently caress up the Tories good.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Sorry for your loss, Two Fingers

https://twitter.com/SenWarren/status/872967078952783872

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Yeah and all but gently caress the Tories

gently caress the Tories