Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EndTimesProfit
Jul 1, 2004

Don't worry son, it's just the Smilin' Mighty Jesus!

Skex posted:

Dude you really are dense, you already dunked yourself you should just stop.

But since you aren't bright enough to realize it. Just because the president can't be indicted in court for obstruction because the Republicans in Congress refuse to impeach and remove him from office doesn't mean that he can't be indicted in the court of public opinion. Further it doesn't mean that the refusal of the Republicans in Congress to Impeach him for obvious blatant abuse of power and flaunting of the law can't be used to indict them in the court of public opinion.

Impeachment is a political process, politics start with the public. If sufficient dissatisfaction can be generated with the public the pressure on the Republicans in power will increase to the point where they will either bend to the pressure out of self preservation or they will forced to answer politically for those decisions when they next run.

Now while the hard core of the Republican party may be ok with the GOP being a bunch of treasonous poo poo-birds on the take of the Russians a lot of them will not and the more blatant their disregard for the rule of law and the Constitution becomes the more support they will bleed.

So while you are correct in your assertion that the current congress will not impeach Trump at this point in time doesn't mean that they won't ever impeach him.

The Republican's in Congress don't like Trump, He's not one of them, he's a wild card and his incompetence is hurting them politically. They just haven't reached the point where they believe that the damage he's causing to them surpasses the damage they will take for turning on him.

The longer this goes drags on, the more evidence of his corruption and incompetence builds up the more of them will turn on him. Maybe you don't remember 2008 when Bush was so toxic to the Republican brand that they tried to pretend that he didn't exist. Trump is an order of magnitude more toxic to their brand that Bush was.

Hell I hope they continue to turn a blind eye to his corruption, because the longer they do so the more damage they caused to themselves. The more republican's will get caught up in and destroyed by this mess. Which is good for the country and the world.

This. Anyone who thought they were going to drag Trump out of the White House kicking and screaming was delusional.

It is much more advantageous for the Democrats to have this YUUUGE unpopular albatross hanging around the Republicans' necks for the next 3.5 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

I can't handle all the vindication

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
He's probably right, in so much that Trump himself is likely fine criminally, and in regards to not being removed from office no matter what happens. Unless something crazy comes up in the investigation.

What matters from here on out is what happens with everyone around Trump. And how bad that makes the GOP in general look.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Blitz7x posted:

It's going to be wonderful once reports leak out that they're sleeping in separate rooms because she can't stand him or his apnea

Honesty I think everyone expects that at this point. Also, isn't it more common for couples at Trump's age to sleep in separate beds?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Retro42 posted:

They have absolutely no idea how government works do they?

all the attorneys who do didn't want the job

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Alter Ego posted:

Accusing Comey of lying about this particular thing puts the burden of proof on Trump. Only way to prove it is to release the tapes :getin:

There's a great comedy skit from the 90s from Reeves and Mortimer where one accuses the other of saying Mick Jagger started WW2.
He taped him saying it, plays it and it goes 'And from my conclusions, WW2 was started by *CZZZHS* MICK JAGGER *CZZHXXDZXD*' with an obvious cut and voice change.

I hope Trump releases the tapes and they are badly edited in this way.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Meridian posted:

Wasn't aware that she was forced into that arrangement.

Forced to stay in that arrangement though, if the rumors are to be believed.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

BootStrap posted:

This. Anyone who thought they were going to drag Trump out of the White House kicking and screaming was delusional.

I don't know. Towards the end, when it became clear Nixon was going to be removed from office, "high-ranking officials in the Department of Defense and the White House privately worried about the possibility that Nixon would ring the streets around the White House with tanks and armored personnel carriers, ostensibly to protect the Executive Mansion from acts of civil disobedience, but also to set up a fortress-like barrier that might allow him to remain in the White House in the case of a Congressional or Supreme Court-ordered removal from office."

http://deadpresidents.tumblr.com/post/94193788707/what-have-i-done-richard-nixons-perilous

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

Hell, if anything she had ample evidence of what she was getting into!

Her prenup is probably pretty good.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Sessions being fired would be hilarious. Only because they'll have to find someone to replace him and it will be a glorious poo poo show.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Probably the best Onion headline in a long time.

Trump Asks Entire Senate To Clear Out Of Chamber So He Can Speak To Comey Alone

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Jesus loving christ, NYT.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Dexo posted:

He's probably right, in so much that Trump himself is likely fine criminally, and in regards to not being removed from office no matter what happens. Unless something crazy comes up in the investigation.

What matters from here on out is what happens with everyone around Trump. And how bad that makes the GOP in general look.

It already been rehashed numerous times in the thread but the GOP will defend Trump 100% until they just can't anymore.

Public opinion-wise Trump is hosed and then some. 4 months in and it will be FOREVER tainted in the history books.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Has Trump ever been under oath for a court hearing in his life?

I'd like to see a transcript if he has - I wonder how much of the facade comes down when he's required to be truthful

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

whats wrong with that?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Dexo posted:

The investigation is going to go well into next year, will constantly hound his first year in office, and is non-binding if rejected. And will, ABSOLUTELY, lead to indictments against people like Flynn. No matter what happens come election time a bunch of people around Trump are going to be getting charges dropped on them and the referendum is going to be "You hosed up electing Trump, we know, elect us Democrats and we'll impeach him instantly".

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Skippy Granola posted:

I can't handle all the vindication

I don't even get it.

* Since the firing, Trump has been obsessed with 'proving' that Comey assured him he was not under investigation. Why is this a thing?

* What about Comey's potential testimony was the Trump enterprise even worried about? What bomb did Comey not drop that they are so glad has passed them over?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

botany posted:

whats wrong with that?

Reminds people that a majority of this country catches unreasonable poo poo for no other reason than their gender.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
That seems more than reasonable, and Comey got victim-blamed for not immediately running out and reporting this to his boss (who works for Trump), or Trump. Who do you report bad poo poo to when the person committing bad poo poo is the one you report to?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

EugeneJ posted:

I'd like to see a transcript if he has - I wonder how much of the facade comes down when he's required to be truthful

Yes.

There's transcripts of his deposition from the Trump University case out there.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

botany posted:

whats wrong with that?

It's a fair comparison. "Don't leave me in a room alone with him ever again" stuck out in particular

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

this is a pretty good article and its good when you can draw these sorts of connections to give people an understanding of other people's experiences through analogy to ones they know

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Yes.

There's transcripts of his deposition from the Trump University case out there.

Ooooooh cool - thanks!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

botany posted:

whats wrong with that?
A former FBI director just testified in front of Congress that the President of the United States may have attempted to interfere with a federal investigation of his administration's ties to our top foreign adversary.

Top of NYT opinion right now: "Yeah, just like sexual harassment, am I right girls??"

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Every Republican I've talked to thinks it's a nothingburger or bad for Democrats. People really do live in separate realities.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
If I were Trump's attorney I might act like that, just to keep him from rushing out to defend himself. When your client is prone to going off the rails, you do what you gotta do. Not saying that's what's actually going on, but there are non-crazy reasons for him to lie like that.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Mendrian posted:

I don't even get it.

* Since the firing, Trump has been obsessed with 'proving' that Comey assured him he was not under investigation. Why is this a thing?

* What about Comey's potential testimony was the Trump enterprise even worried about? What bomb did Comey not drop that they are so glad has passed them over?

Chump is guilty af and wants comey to assure him he's safe.

Also the real bombs might have been dropped in this afternoon's closed-door session.

Vindication

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

At times like these I like to look back at Obama's first year in office, and how quaint the world of 2009 was

quote:

June 11 – Miss California Carrie Prejean, who had become an outspoken critic of same-sex marriage after winning her title, has her crown stripped by Donald Trump for alleged breach of contract.

:v:

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

pro post/av combo

also opinions section of nyt has been poo poo like since the 1800s unfortunately

actually edit i wanna read this before passing judgment

skylined! fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 8, 2017

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

A former FBI director just testified in front of Congress that the President of the United States may have attempted to interfere with a federal investigation of his administration's ties to our top foreign adversary.

Top of NYT opinion right now: "Yeah, just like sexual harassment, am I right girls??"

yes? :confused: that seems like a valid and important comparison to me? did you follow the bill cosby trial at all? because this sort of victim blaming is common as hell in all of society and it's worth pointing out at every available opportunity that it isn't okay.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

my bony fealty posted:

At times like these I like to look back at Obama's first year in office, and how quaint the world of 2009 was

:v:

Still got that one video of her in C:\Tax Documents\

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Petr posted:

Every Republican I've talked to thinks it's a nothingburger or bad for Democrats. People really do live in separate realities.

I'm not sure how much the "Every part of the intelligence community is massively concerned about Russian invovlement and we consider it an attack on the US" has penetrated yet.

Even I was kinda shocked by how blatant he said that.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Just because you're having trouble with the analogy, doesn't mean that this is the extremely woke thinkpiece you're claiming it is

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

It's obviously a rebuttal to victim blaming and the GOP talking points of "why didn't comey tell trump to stop? It's his fault he didn't"

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

TheScott2K posted:

It's actually up for debate that a sitting President can only be impeached but not indicted. I don't really see where indictment immunity comes from. Certainly doesn't fall under Sovereign Immunity. It's one of those questions nobody really bothered with until a literal criminal compromised by a foreign power was elected President with a supportive Congress.

No, it was actually asked a ton during Watergate and that is when the current precedent comes from

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I agree with the sentiment but perhaps this is not the right time and place to be using it for clicks??

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

EugeneJ posted:

Why do you think that being under oath would result in him being more honest than otherwise?

It's not like an oath is a magic truth serum. Honestly I doubt that a narcissistic compulsive liar like Trump is even capable of telling the "Truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth".

Someone like Comey or someone with experience with places and situations as well as a real understanding of the legal consequences of perjuring themselves will be careful to tell the truth in the strictest legal sense. He's a lawyer he's been trained in that. Trump is a conman, lying is what he does and to be honest it's worked for him so why should he stop?

Besides he's already publicly admitted to obstruction and gotten away with his, what's a little perjury?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

I agree with the sentiment but perhaps this is not the right time and place to be using it for clicks??

actually it is though

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

so when they should be allowed to publish it, when its irrelevant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

You have the option to not read or share it, though? The NYT also publishes many other op-eds and articles with a variety of viewpoints, all of them are being "used for clicks"

• Locked thread