Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aphrodite posted:

(I'll refrain from naming anyone specific, I'm classy)

Chris Jaimes Dos, V. fff and that weird ostentatius guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

WEEEEEEEeeeeEEeeeLLLLL
Well it's the Bog Dog
He's got a big bow wow bone

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
What is it about Alexa that attracts the worst fanbase possible? Is it because she dressed as Harley Quinn a couple times?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

JT Smiley posted:

What is it about Alexa that attracts the worst fanbase possible? Is it because she dressed as Harley Quinn a couple times?

Why ask questions you already know the answer to.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Aphrodite posted:

I'm just glad Bayley got squashed out of the title picture so now that when she has bad matches against other people and people point out they're bad, dumb Jimmy Howard fans (I'll refrain from naming anyone specific, I'm classy) won't be able to use lazy "Yeah but Alexa!" arguments.

Bayley is elite. :colbert:

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Marquis de Pyro posted:

House of Horrors was kind of like an atomic bomb strike,

wow everything gets more stars in japan

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Chris James 2 posted:

John Cena posted:
This is why I have the reputation of quote-unquote “burying younger talent,” because I will let them do whatever they want with me — and then after they get done, they’re not as motivated. So, it’s not that I sink their ship, it’s that they fail to operate at an elite level. And I’m on to the next person, [to] whom I say, “Hey man, bring your best punch and I’m gonna punch back” — and they don’t take that attitude beyond me.

What is this in reference to?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Spikeguy posted:

What is this in reference to?

Part of an interview he did with TheWrap

Full quote posted:

I believe that it’s a ‘Strong Survive’ environment, and accept nothing less. I think people forget my [history] in WWE sometimes and the fact that I truly had to earn every inch. There is this overwhelming perception that I am protected and coddled — that couldn’t be father from the truth.

Every single opponent that I have, if they don’t realize that I give them free range to throw their best punch — and just know that I’m going to punch back — I openly let that be known. I just think it’s something that goes vastly overlooked.

I just believe you bring your best to every story and you bring your best to every fight. And if my skills aren’t as good, then it’s time to step back. It’s just a matter of believing in myself and going out there and speaking from the heart. I believe that sometimes that’s something missing in some of the WWE storylines … being honest and brave enough to put everything out there on the table.

I’ve always done that, and I think the same could be said about multiple storylines with multiple Superstars … and it’s always with me.

This is why I have the reputation of quote-unquote ‘burying younger talent,’ because I will let them do whatever they want with me — and then after they get done, they’re not as motivated. So, it’s not that I sink their ship, it’s that they fail to operate at an elite level. And I’m on to the next person, [to] whom I say, ‘Hey man, bring your best punch and I’m gonna punch back’ — and they don’t take that attitude beyond me.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
The "Cena loses, Cena wins, Cena wins, Cena wins" booking trope didn't hurt anybody. They just didn't want it enough. No hustle either!

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

JT Smiley posted:

im an extremely good poster, actually

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

JT Smiley posted:

What is it about Alexa that attracts the worst fanbase possible?
brokebrains love them a pigtailed midget for reasons it's probably best not to dwell on

dromal phrenia posted:

GOOD JOKE. EVERYBODY LAUGH.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

dromal phrenia posted:

False.

Aphrodite posted:

I'm just glad Bayley got squashed out of the title picture so now that when she has bad matches against other people and people point out they're bad, dumb Jimmy Howard fans (I'll refrain from naming anyone specific, I'm classy) won't be able to use lazy "Yeah but Alexa!" arguments.

Oh yeah, it's great that Alexa is done with the Bayley feud, now she can move on to such hights and a feud with Nia Jax and Dana Brook. :shepface:

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

dsriggs posted:

The "Cena loses, Cena wins, Cena wins, Cena wins" booking trope didn't hurt anybody. They just didn't want it enough. No hustle either!

People need to follow the John Cena path, where a young hungry talent drops to the lower card after being given a debut marquee match against a main eventer, then teetering on the cusp of being fired for months until the boss's daughter likes your Vanilla Ice cosplay

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

is it because all the wrestling is bad except for fashion files that everyone has become obsessed with Posting Politics

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

projecthalaxy posted:

is it because all the wrestling is bad except for fashion files that everyone has become obsessed with Posting Politics

more or less

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I'm kinda confused by johns interview. He says he works super hard and will do anything the new guy wants but after the feud they are unmotivated. Just kinda seems at odds

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Soothing Vapors posted:

brokebrains love them a pigtailed midget for reasons it's probably best not to dwell on

GOOD JOKE. EVERYBODY LAUGH.

Please dont be a Bayley.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

:mad: im gonna post 10x as often because of you jerks

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

oldpainless posted:

I'm kinda confused by johns interview. He says he works super hard and will do anything the new guy wants but after the feud they are unmotivated. Just kinda seems at odds

He's saying that once they dip out of the spotlight, they stop working as hard. It's not confusing, and there's a pretty good list of guys who have done just that in wrestling. Like Sting!

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

dsriggs posted:

This but unironically. Rusev is the only recent Cena feud that hasn't gone on to win the world title.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

bradzilla posted:

This but unironically. Rusev is the only recent Cena feud that hasn't gone on to win the world title.

Rusev got stuck with poo poo like the Dolph feud and the League of Nations where none of his matches post-Cena really stood out as Must See and then got hurt

Owens had a mediocre world title run and then a stereotypical foreigner midcard title run where none of his matches post-Cena really stood out as Must See

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

I'm more confused by the part where he says "I give them free range to throw their best punch — and just know that I’m going to punch back" because that's a lot less fair than it sounds. People can and do cut strong promos on Cena, but his tactic of treating them as inferior or even a joke is going to seem extremely legitimate because he's been booked so strongly for so long. It's hard to act like you're on even ground with Cena when he has a thousand accolades under his belt and you don't.

This would be less of an issue if Cena lost more feuds, but losing one match and then winning 3 is naturally going to impact someone's motivation.

I think this isn't as true nowadays, but there was a long time where facing Cena meant you would go from 'a potential star' to 'just like everyone else.'

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Chris James 2 posted:

Owens had a mediocre world title run and then a stereotypical foreigner midcard title run where none of his matches post-Cena really stood out as Must See

I thought his title defenses at HIAC and Royal Rumble were pretty drat good, outside of AJs matches I can't recall many better ones.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

I wonder how much of the problem is actually people getting lazy. A match against Cena is going to get a good amount of time in front of a hot crowd with a worker that wants to bring his A-game. Very few wrestlers get responses like Cena (Reigns is getting there), so the post-Cena feud isn't going to have the same level of crowd energy. If your next feud is, say, Orton, he's not bringing his A-game to the promos or the match. So even if you're still working hard, you're pretty hamstrung by factors out of your control.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Basically all of Owens' title defenses were loving awesome must see matches. You can say a lot about that run, but you can't impugn Owens' efforts in the slightest, dude fuckin' brought it every single time. The only exception I can think of is RoadblockENDOFTHELINE.

Like, if the match he had with Rollins on Raw isn't must-see, nothin' is.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I figure it's just the stop go booking. Where they are put into a feud with Cena, Cena wins then the dude is jobbing for the next year then they get a minor push, the fans don't care because we watched him job for the last year and then wwe stops pushing them again.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

VJeff posted:

Basically all of Owens' title defenses were loving awesome must see matches. You can say a lot about that run, but you can't impugn Owens' efforts in the slightest, dude fuckin' brought it every single time. The only exception I can think of is RoadblockENDOFTHELINE.

Like, if the match he had with Rollins on Raw isn't must-see, nothin' is.

The Goldberg match, obviously not. The HIAC match, wasn't even the best HIAC match on that card. Roadblock had that stupid finish, Rumble match was good but again wouldn't say it was the best match on the card (Styles/Cena being there admittedly makes that unfair)

I might have just missed the Rollins Raw match (I'll be the first to say lol if you watch every Raw, and there's almost certainly been at least one great thing I've skipped of the many just by sheer law of averages) but everything else, to me, doesn't seem like something I'd put on a Best of the year list. The Jericho feud was great but that was after the world title was out of the picture

The_Rob posted:

I figure it's just the stop go booking. Where they are put into a feud with Cena, Cena wins then the dude is jobbing for the next year then they get a minor push, the fans don't care because we watched him job for the last year and then wwe stops pushing them again.

Pretty much. I don't blame someone for losing interest knowing they're in a peak point and it's all going to be downhill. And it definitely does happen with people against Cena, see: the Nexus, Damien Sandow, Umaga

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Chris James 2 posted:

The Goldberg match, obviously not. The HIAC match, wasn't even the best HIAC match on that card. Roadblock had that stupid finish, Rumble match was good but again wouldn't say it was the best match on the card (Styles/Cena being there admittedly makes that unfair)

I might have just missed the Rollins Raw match (I'll be the first to say lol if you watch every Raw, and there's almost certainly been at least one great thing I've skipped of the many just by sheer law of averages) but everything else, to me, doesn't seem like something I'd put on a Best of the year list. The Jericho feud was great but that was after the world title was out of the picture

Yeah the Goldberg match is :lol:, I thought the HIAC match was the best on that card and neither of the other two were anything special, but different strokes. Roadblock did have a terrible goddamn finish, but that's not on Owens.

The Raw match was November 21st, the day after Survivor Series. It's on the Network under Raw replays, if you haven't seen it, I'd strongly recommend it.

I mean I'll be the first to say that Owens' run with the Universal title was lame because he just could never beat anybody cleanly and if all of those gently caress finishes hurts the matches for you, that's a pretty defensible position to have (I really hated the Roadblock finish). But Owens' work in all of those matches, five title defenses in total, was all really great and all worth seeing.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Chris James 2 posted:

Rusev got stuck with poo poo like the Dolph feud and the League of Nations where none of his matches post-Cena really stood out as Must See and then got hurt

wasn't league of nations partially payback for him and lana torpedoing the dolph feud

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
League of Nations having that much talent and being that lame makes zero sense, but I guess they were just put together to get Roman over, so, whatever.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

VJeff posted:

League of Nations having that much talent and being that lame makes zero sense, but I guess they were just put together to get Roman over, so, whatever.

the weirdest thing is that it worked

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

VJeff posted:

No that's all of WWE actually.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the weirdest thing is that it worked

:lol: You're absolutely right. It totally worked, and then they hosed it all up. I actually forgot that part.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

http://www.wwe.com/gallery/wwe-superstars-high-school-photos#fid-40112270

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Swashbucklin' Seth Rollins

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Stale Saltines posted:

Swashbucklin' Seth Rollins

randall 'pink' rollins saw dazed and confused too many times

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
If you think that you can beat John Cena in a fight your mutual employer has already decided the outcome of then be his guest!!

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

quote:

Wrestling Observer: An interesting story is that some time back, Mahal had decided he was looking at getting out of wrestling and opening up a Subway sandwich shop and work some real estate

Never give up kids. Just eat fresh and get ripped and good things will come to you

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Chris James 2 posted:

In the past: Kevin Owens was capable of beating John Cena cleanly

Today: Kevin Owens is a fat loving loser who can't beat anyone

wow why isn't he grabbing the brass ring he should be stone cold over with this incredible booking where he's fat and stupid and loses all the time unless Chris Jericho saved him and now just loses because Chris Jericho is dead (RIP Big Chris)

• Locked thread